Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
2. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
3. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
4. How does Chapter 2 end?
5. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
2. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
3. Why is Granpa teaching Little Tree to do the hard work involved in farming so early in his life?
4. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
5. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
6. What descriptions of the journey to, and arrival at his new home establish that Little Tree is going to be in a strange place?
7. How does Little Tree's love of nature help him through the misery he feels at the orphanage?
8. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
9. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
10. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
Essay Topic 1
An outstanding feature of this story is the author's ability to provide vivid descriptions that help to promote the Cherokee respect for, and love of nature. Provide detailed references to at least three different settings in the novel, and use them to demonstrate the validity of this assertion.
Essay Topic 2
Comment on the importance in a novel of the point-of-view chosen by the writer and discuss with reference to this novel, the strengths and limitations of the "first -person narrative" point-of-view.
Essay Topic 3
It is sometimes the case that major characters in a story are used by the author to express his / her own point-of-view. Of all of the characters in "The Education of Little Tree," suggest with reasons, which one(s) you believe is (are) reflecting most closely the author's opinions.
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)