|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 2, what is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns about nature?
3. At the end of Chapter 2, how does Little Tree feel?
4. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
5. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Little Tree's independent selection of a secret place inform the reader about his character?
2. Why does Little Tree go to bed feeling happy even though he has lost his father and mother?
3. How does the author describe the Cherokee response to their oppression along the Trail of Tears?
4. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
5. How do Granpa and Granma ensure that there is a balance in Little Tree's education?
6. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
7. What does the introduction of Pine Billy add to the story?
8. What is "The Way" and why does it play a critical role in Little Tree's education?
9. How does Granma explain the existence of body and spirit to Little Tree in Chapter 8?
10. What important facts does the author provide about Little Tree when he is introduced to the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the author's treatment of death and loss in the first and last chapters of the novel, indicating the changes which are evident in Little Tree's reactions to these experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Comment on the importance in a novel of the point-of-view chosen by the writer and discuss with reference to this novel, the strengths and limitations of the "first -person narrative" point-of-view.
Essay Topic 3
Granpa is involved in the controversial whiskey trade and exposes Little Tree to danger by involving him in the activities associated with it. Explain the complexities of Granpa's involvement in the whiskey trade and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of his decision to involve Little Tree in this line of work.
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)