Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
2. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
3. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
4. How does Chapter 2 end?
5. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
2. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
3. Why is Granpa teaching Little Tree to do the hard work involved in farming so early in his life?
4. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
5. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
6. What descriptions of the journey to, and arrival at his new home establish that Little Tree is going to be in a strange place?
7. How does Little Tree's love of nature help him through the misery he feels at the orphanage?
8. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
9. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
10. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
In the introduction to the re-issuing of "The Education of Little Tree", the University of New Mexico Press includes the following statement: 'Little Tree is one of those rare books like Huck Finn that each new generation needs to discover and which needs to be read and reread regularly...a fine and sustaining book, wonderfully funny and deeply poignant'.
With special reference to this statement and using detailed references to the text, write a critical analysis of the novel.
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
The author uses the device of ending certain chapters with a different literary form. With detailed reference to the poems that occur at the end of three chapters in the novel, write a critical analysis of this technique making sure to include comments on the author's purposes and the extent to which they are achieved.
This section contains 1,582 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)