|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
2. What is the name of the part of the mountain trail between the mountains where the trail becomes thinner?
3. What can the reader deduce about the author's intention in describing Cherokee beliefs and values in Chapter 8?
4. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
5. How does Chapter 2 end?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how does Granpa explain George Washington's decision to introduce a tax on whiskey? How does Granpa justify this belief?
2. How do Granpa and Granma ensure that there is a balance in Little Tree's education?
3. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
4. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
5. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
6. Apart from hunting, what is the special reason for Granpa taking Little Tree out for this all-night adventure?
7. How is Granpa's approach to his trade different from that of some whiskey traders to whom he objects?
8. How does Little Tree's independent selection of a secret place inform the reader about his character?
9. How does the author describe the Cherokee response to their oppression along the Trail of Tears?
10. What is the importance of revealing that Granma and Granpa have friends and visitors like Pine Billy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the voice of Granpa, the novel expresses many explicit criticisms of the government, the law and authority figures in general. Write a critical analysis of Granpa's attitude to the government, the law and authority figures in general and comment on whether you consider it appropriate for Granpa to pass on his views to Little Tree.
Essay Topic 2
Forrest Carter makes significant use of symbolism in the novel. Using specific examples of different types of symbols, write a detailed analysis of the author's use of symbolism throughout the novel. Where is it seen? How effectively is it used?
Essay Topic 3
It is sometimes the case that major characters in a story are used by the author to express his / her own point-of-view. Of all of the characters in "The Education of Little Tree," suggest with reasons, which one(s) you believe is (are) reflecting most closely the author's opinions.
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)