|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 5?
2. How does the author reveal that the policeman might be wrong to put the driver of the black car in jail?
3. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
4. Why does Granpa object to people who age whiskey?
5. Why does Granpa want Little Tree to learn his trade when he is only six-years-old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
2. How does the beginning of Chapter 10 contrast with the ending of the incident in which Little Tree protects the whiskey still from the outsiders?
3. In Chapter 3, what does the author reveal about Granpa's views on politicians and authority figures?
4. Why does Little Tree go to bed feeling happy even though he has lost his father and mother?
5. What are the main purposes served by the incident in which Granpa is bitten by the rattlesnake?
6. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
7. Apart from hunting, what is the special reason for Granpa taking Little Tree out for this all-night adventure?
8. How does the ending of the book recall the beginning and in what way does the author establish the contrast between these two points in Little Tree's life?
9. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
10. How does Granpa's attitude to fox hunting make him special and show his regard for nature?
Essay Topic 1
Comment on the importance in a novel of the point-of-view chosen by the writer and discuss with reference to this novel, the strengths and limitations of the "first -person narrative" point-of-view.
Essay Topic 2
It is reasonable to assume that the author thought carefully about the title "The Education of Little Tree." Give detailed examples of Little Tree's upbringing and comment in detail on whether this novel is appropriately titled. What evidence is there in the novel that there were contending views about whether he was being educated?
Essay Topic 3
Despite being widely admired, "The Education of Little Tree" has been the subject of much controversy because of allegations that its author was actually a racist white supremacist and because of its removal from Oprah Winfrey's recommended books. Lorene Roy, President of the American Library Association is quoted on the internet as saying, "Besides the questions about the author's identity, the book is known for a simplistic plot that used a lot of stereotypical imagery." To what extent do you consider these assertions relevant to an appreciation of the novel's value as a literary work?
This section contains 1,592 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)