|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Granma scold Little Tree for getting wet in the woods?
2. What is the unique mark on Granpa's whiskey jar?
3. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
4. In Chapter 4, why does Little Tree feel grown-up?
5. What does Little Tree find interesting that makes him watch the umbrella spider for hours?
Short Essay Questions
1. Apart from hunting, what is the special reason for Granpa taking Little Tree out for this all-night adventure?
2. Why is the trail called the "Trail of Tears" and how does the author challenge some traditional beliefs about what happened there?
3. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
4. In Chapter 3, how does Granpa explain George Washington's decision to introduce a tax on whiskey? How does Granpa justify this belief?
5. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
6. Give two important place names and one animal's name that occur in chapter 4. Explain why the names are very appropriate.
7. Comment on the title of Chapter 10.
8. What descriptions of the journey to, and arrival at his new home establish that Little Tree is going to be in a strange place?
9. How does the revelation of Granpa's trade help to shed light on the reason for his earlier objection to one of George Washington's laws?
10. How does the beginning of Chapter 10 contrast with the ending of the incident in which Little Tree protects the whiskey still from the outsiders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Among the important themes explored in this novel are exclusion and prejudice. Discuss the characters, circumstances and relationships through which the themes of exclusion and prejudice are explored in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The Education of Little Tree is an exploration of important themes including "love and relationships",and "loss and death." Using specific examples, fully discuss the author's exploration of these themes in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)