|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Granma, what happens to people who use the body-living mind for greedy purposes?
2. Who is Smokehouse and what role does he play in Chapter 7?
3. What does Little Tree find interesting that makes him watch the umbrella spider for hours?
4. Why doesn't Granma scold Little Tree for getting wet in the woods?
5. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Granpa teaching Little Tree to do the hard work involved in farming so early in his life?
2. Give an example from Chapter 12 of how well the author uses vivid description to convey a picture of Spring to the reader.
3. Comment on the title of Chapter 10.
4. Identify two specific lessons that Little Tree learns from his family and that are reinforced by Mr. Wine.
5. State an important purpose that is served by this chapter in regard to the social setting of the book.
6. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
7. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
8. What does the reader learn in Chapter 3 about the librarian's attitude to lending books to Little Tree and Granpa when they visit the library?
9. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
10. Write a short character sketch of Mr. Wine and summarize his role in the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Granpa is involved in the controversial whiskey trade and exposes Little Tree to danger by involving him in the activities associated with it. Explain the complexities of Granpa's involvement in the whiskey trade and comment on the advantages and disadvantages of his decision to involve Little Tree in this line of work.
Essay Topic 2
It is reasonable to assume that the author thought carefully about the title "The Education of Little Tree." Give detailed examples of Little Tree's upbringing and comment in detail on whether this novel is appropriately titled. What evidence is there in the novel that there were contending views about whether he was being educated?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the device of ending certain chapters with a different literary form. With detailed reference to the poems that occur at the end of three chapters in the novel, write a critical analysis of this technique making sure to include comments on the author's purposes and the extent to which they are achieved.
This section contains 2,464 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)