|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10 how does the author demonstrate that Little Tree has a conscience?
2. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
3. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
4. Which three people does Little Tree learn about from Granpa's stories in Chapter 5?
5. What does the visitor in Chapter 7 do at dinner that tempts Little Tree to forget one of his lessons about taking things?
Short Essay Questions
1. Apart from hunting, what is the special reason for Granpa taking Little Tree out for this all-night adventure?
2. What important facts does the author provide about Little Tree when he is introduced to the reader?
3. How does the beginning of Chapter 10 contrast with the ending of the incident in which Little Tree protects the whiskey still from the outsiders?
4. Why is Granpa teaching Little Tree to do the hard work involved in farming so early in his life?
5. How do Granpa and Granma ensure that there is a balance in Little Tree's education?
6. What is "The Way" and why does it play a critical role in Little Tree's education?
7. Comment on the title of Chapter 10.
8. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
9. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
10. How does the behavior of some of the people on the bus help to introduce one of the themes of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the voice of Granpa, the novel expresses many explicit criticisms of the government, the law and authority figures in general. Write a critical analysis of Granpa's attitude to the government, the law and authority figures in general and comment on whether you consider it appropriate for Granpa to pass on his views to Little Tree.
Essay Topic 2
The episodes in the novel that have to do with the church and church-going present Little Tree and the reader with instances of hypocrisy and contradiction associated with Christianity. Referring closely to important incidents in the novel, discuss the author's exploration of hypocrisy and contradictions in the behavior of representatives of Christianity.
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)