|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Granpa's reason for taking Little Tree on this walk up the trail?
2. In Chapter 10 how does the author demonstrate that Little Tree has a conscience?
3. What is Little Tree planning to do with the extra coins he is keeping in his pocket from his savings?
4. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
5. What two important characteristics of Granpa are revealed by the description of the fox and the hounds episode?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Granpa's approach to his trade different from that of some whiskey traders to whom he objects?
2. Why does Little Tree go to bed feeling happy even though he has lost his father and mother?
3. What is the importance of the boot moccasins that Granma makes for Little Tree?
4. How do Granpa and Granma ensure that there is a balance in Little Tree's education?
5. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
6. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
7. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
8. What is "The Way" and why does it play a critical role in Little Tree's education?
9. What is the importance of revealing that Granma and Granpa have friends and visitors like Pine Billy?
10. In Chapter 3, what does the author reveal about Granpa's views on politicians and authority figures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The episodes in the novel that have to do with the church and church-going present Little Tree and the reader with instances of hypocrisy and contradiction associated with Christianity. Referring closely to important incidents in the novel, discuss the author's exploration of hypocrisy and contradictions in the behavior of representatives of Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Granma and Granpa are towering figures in the life of Little Tree and they establish the power of simplicity and commitment in a complex and frightening world. Discuss the evidence provided by the author of the complex and frightening world in which Little Tree finds himself and comment on the role of his grandparents in establishing that simple family values and relationships are powerful means of survival in such a world.
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 1,468 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)