|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By allowing him to watch the chase, how does Granpa reinforce his earlier lessons to Little Tree about the ways of nature and animals?
2. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
3. How does Granpa help Little Tree overcome feeling empty and sad after Ringer's death?
4. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
5. When Little Tree demonstrates that he has learned the lessons about nature, what name does Granpa say he would give him if he didn't have a name already?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Granpa and Granma ensure that there is a balance in Little Tree's education?
2. Comment on the title of Chapter 10.
3. How does the behavior of some of the people on the bus help to introduce one of the themes of the novel?
4. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
5. How does Little Tree's independent selection of a secret place inform the reader about his character?
6. Explain two important symbols used in Chapter 9.
7. At the end of Chapter 2, why does the author end with a poem?
8. What is the importance of revealing that Granma and Granpa have friends and visitors like Pine Billy?
9. According to Granma, how does the spirit-mind relate to understanding of death and nature in secret places?
10. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the author integrates the use of Standard American English with English that reflects the influence of the Cherokee language and other dialects. In light of this, discuss the advantages and limitations of using different types of language in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the device of ending certain chapters with a different literary form. With detailed reference to the poems that occur at the end of three chapters in the novel, write a critical analysis of this technique making sure to include comments on the author's purposes and the extent to which they are achieved.
Essay Topic 3
An important aspect of the novel's impact lies in the ability of the author to portray character effectively. Justifying your answer with reference to specific examples, discuss the methods used by the author to portray two major and two minor characters in the story.
This section contains 1,492 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)