|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important part does Mr. Wine play in the education of Little Tree?
(a) He teaches Little Tree how to tell time, how to solve math problems and how to be thrifty.
(b) He teaches Little Tree how to taste wine.
(c) He teaches Little Tree how to fix clocks.
(d) He teaches Little Tree about Jewish history.
2. In regard to the family that Granpa sees facing hardships on the farm, what do Granpa and the soldiers have in common?
(a) They are prejudiced against the black man at the farm.
(b) They believe they have no right to be there.
(c) They are concerned about the children.
(d) They are motivated to provide help.
3. Why does Little Tree believe that the incident in which he gets into trouble with the teacher eventually leads to Granpa coming for him?
(a) Because that night he dreams that Granpa comes for him.
(b) Because he sneaks a letter to Granma complaining about his punishment.
(c) Because he knows that Grandpa will feel his suffering in the weeping of the wind.
(d) Because he tells them through the Dog Star every night about what happens, and that he wants to go home.
4. According to Granpa's story about the farm, who was in charge of the land when Granpa was growing up?
(a) The Cherokees were in charge of the land.
(b) The Confederates were in charge of the land.
(c) The land was occupied by Union soldiers and run by politicians.
(d) Granpa's family had the run of the land.
5. Why does Little Tree describe Fall as nature's grace time?
(a) It is the time to prepare for Christmas.
(b) It is a time to put things in order, to remember, and to regret things that weren't accomplished.
(c) It is the time to say extra prayers for a safe winter.
(d) It is the time to give thanks for nature's grace.
Short Answer Questions
1. In regard to leaving the orphanage, how does Granpa reveal that he wants Little Tree to continue learning to make his own decisions?
2. How does Little Tree's love and appreciation of nature help him overcome the isolation of the orphanage?
3. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
4. In teaching Little Tree, how does Mr. Wine reinforce Granma's lessons about the spirit-mind and the body-mind?
5. According to Mr. Jenkins, who are the two men from Chattanooga and why are they looking for Granpa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write a short character sketch of Mr. Wine and summarize his role in the story.
2. Give a brief summary of the events related by Granpa that lead to Little Tree's return from the orphanage.
3. How does the description of the incident with Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk demonstrate the author's ability to use humor?
4. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
5. How does this episode on the old farm symbolize both the cruelty and generosity observed by Granpa in his youth?
6. Identify two specific lessons that Little Tree learns from his family and that are reinforced by Mr. Wine.
7. Why isn't Granpa interested in talking to Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk about putting him to work on a big whiskey still?
8. In what way does the title of Chapter 18 foreshadow the events that occur in it?
9. What does Chapter 16 suggest about the place of church going in the lives of Little Tree's family?
10. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
This section contains 1,946 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)