|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author reveal about how Little Tree is released from the orphanage?
(a) That the reverend sends for Granpa and tells him Little Tree is to be taken away because of his savagery.
(b) That the reverend sends for Granma and tells her to remove Little Tree because Granpa is threatening him.
(c) That the reverend sends for Granpa and tells him he is being followed by a savage who tells him Little Tree is to go home.
(d) That Pine Billy goes to the reverend and tells him to release Little Tree or he will report the beatings to the authorities.
2. How does Little Tree create a disturbance in church?
(a) He gives Willow John a whistle and he tries it out in church.
(b) He gives Willow John a harmless snake which jumps on a lady who screams out in church.
(c) He comes in late and falls over in the aisle.
(d) He gives Willow John a nickel and a bullfrog that starts a loud croaking in church.
3. In the incident with the two men from Chattanooga, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he is becoming clever and less trusting?
(a) He takes the dollar and tells them Granpa is at the settlement.
(b) He asks for two dollars instead and leads them away from the trail.
(c) He takes the dollar they offer him to lead them to Granpa but he leads them away from the stills.
(d) He takes the dollar and then tells them he doesn't know Granpa.
4. In the incident when Granpa sees the old farmhouse in the clearing, why is Granpa surprised by the soldier's treatment of the people on the farm when he returns there later?
(a) Granpa expects the soldiers to harm them but they actually bring them a mule.
(b) Granpa expects the soldiers to throw them off the land but they tie them up in the barn.
(c) Granpa expects the soldiers to help the people but they actually attack them with guns .
(d) Granpa expects the soldiers to stop them from plowing but they charge them taxes.
5. According to the news heard in Chapter 11, what is causing people in New York to die?
(a) They are killing themselves by jumping off roofs.
(b) Overcrowding and the spread of illnesses.
(c) Severe snow storms.
(d) A serious epidemic that causes depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author shares many Cherokee symbols with the reader. What is revealed in Chapter 14 about the meaning of an Indian holding up his palm?
2. In teaching Little Tree, how does Mr. Wine reinforce Granma's lessons about the spirit-mind and the body-mind?
3. Who plays the most significant role in getting Little Tree back from the orphanage, thereby demonstrating the deep bond between them?
4. Why does Willow John leave a long knife in church?
5. How do the two men from Chattanooga make fun of Little Tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does Willow John serve in the novel?
2. How does Little Tree's love of nature help him through the misery he feels at the orphanage?
3. Give an example from Chapter 12 of how well the author uses vivid description to convey a picture of Spring to the reader.
4. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
5. How does this episode on the old farm symbolize both the cruelty and generosity observed by Granpa in his youth?
6. What examples of prejudice and misunderstanding does Little Tree encounter at the orphanage?
7. How and why does Granpa's approach to people in church who are badly off differ from the approach of others?
8. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
9. Why isn't Granpa interested in talking to Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk about putting him to work on a big whiskey still?
10. In what way does the title of Chapter 18 foreshadow the events that occur in it?
This section contains 1,858 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)