|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Little Tree believe that the incident in which he gets into trouble with the teacher eventually leads to Granpa coming for him?
(a) Because he knows that Grandpa will feel his suffering in the weeping of the wind.
(b) Because he tells them through the Dog Star every night about what happens, and that he wants to go home.
(c) Because he sneaks a letter to Granma complaining about his punishment.
(d) Because that night he dreams that Granpa comes for him.
2. In teaching Little Tree, how does Mr. Wine reinforce Granma's lessons about the spirit-mind and the body-mind?
(a) He says some education is practical and some is theoretical.
(b) He says some education is for work and some for appreciating life.
(c) He says some education is technical and some is spiritual.
(d) He says there is modern, technical education to help you make a living and there is the education that makes you honest and caring.
3. In regard to leaving the orphanage, how does Granpa reveal that he wants Little Tree to continue learning to make his own decisions?
(a) Granpa tells Granma to write a letter that Pine Billy takes to Little Tree asking if he wants to go home.
(b) Granpa goes to the gate of the orphanage and lets Little Tree decide whether to go home with him.
(c) Granpa tells the reverend to call Little Tree, and they ask him if he wants to go home.
(d) Granpa sends Pine Billy to the orphanage to find out if Little Tree wants to go home.
4. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
(a) Granpa makes Little Tree go without his earnings for the next two weeks.
(b) Granpa sends him to find the man who sold him the calf and demand his money.
(c) Granpa makes Little Tree write down on paper how much he spent and lost.
(d) Granpa reduces Little Tree's stake in the business.
5. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
(a) The Episcopalians are the only ones who can participate in decisions about the church.
(b) The Cherokee have to stand at the back door and listen to the service.
(c) The preacher gives preferential treatment to the rich Episcopalian family who gives a whole dollar for collection.
(d) Cherokee children are not allowed at Sunday School.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, how does Granma reassure Little Tree that his birth time is special and he will never be alone?
2. How does the author create sympathy in the reader for Willow John?
3. How does Mr. Wine assure Little Tree that he is getting a good education?
4. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
5. Who plays the most significant role in getting Little Tree back from the orphanage, thereby demonstrating the deep bond between them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
2. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
3. Give an example from Chapter 12 of how well the author uses vivid description to convey a picture of Spring to the reader.
4. What examples of prejudice and misunderstanding does Little Tree encounter at the orphanage?
5. Why isn't Granpa interested in talking to Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk about putting him to work on a big whiskey still?
6. In what ways does the author communicate to the reader the growing fear and grief experienced by Granpa, Granma and Little Tree at the prospect of their separation?
7. Give a brief summary of the events related by Granpa that lead to Little Tree's return from the orphanage.
8. How does this episode on the old farm symbolize both the cruelty and generosity observed by Granpa in his youth?
9. During an incident in Chapter 13, poor people on the farm in the clearing are harassed and killed by government authorities. What part does this incident play in the novel?
10. In what way does the title of Chapter 18 foreshadow the events that occur in it?
This section contains 1,989 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)