|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who plays the most significant role in getting Little Tree back from the orphanage, thereby demonstrating the deep bond between them?
(a) Willow John.
(d) Pine Billy.
2. According to Mr. Jenkins, who are the two men from Chattanooga and why are they looking for Granpa?
(a) Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk are big city men who want to buy crops from Granpa.
(b) Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk are big city men who have come to investigate Little Tree's upbringing.
(c) Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk are big city men who want to buy land from Granpa.
(d) Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk are big city men in the whiskey trade and want to put Granpa to work on a big still.
3. Why is Wilburn, the boy at the orphanage, as much of an outcast as Little Tree is?
(a) His clubfoot makes him different from the other children.
(b) He is African-American.
(c) He is Jewish.
(d) He is Mexican.
4. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
(a) Granpa makes Little Tree go without his earnings for the next two weeks.
(b) Granpa makes Little Tree write down on paper how much he spent and lost.
(c) Granpa reduces Little Tree's stake in the business.
(d) Granpa sends him to find the man who sold him the calf and demand his money.
5. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 14?
(a) City Slickers Outwit Mountain Dwellers.
(b) The Men from Chattanooga.
(c) Granma's Special Brew.
(d) .Little Tree Defends His Mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Granpa's story about the farm, who was in charge of the land when Granpa was growing up?
2. How does Little Tree's education and instincts about nature get him into trouble at the orphanage?
3. In teaching Little Tree, how does Mr. Wine reinforce Granma's lessons about the spirit-mind and the body-mind?
4. At church, how does Granpa demonstrate his belief about the importance of self-sufficiency ?
5. In Chapter 15, how does Granma reassure Little Tree that his birth time is special and he will never be alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this episode on the old farm symbolize both the cruelty and generosity observed by Granpa in his youth?
2. Write a short character sketch of Mr. Wine and summarize his role in the story.
3. What purpose does Willow John serve in the novel?
4. What examples of prejudice and misunderstanding does Little Tree encounter at the orphanage?
5. During an incident in Chapter 13, poor people on the farm in the clearing are harassed and killed by government authorities. What part does this incident play in the novel?
6. Why isn't Granpa interested in talking to Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk about putting him to work on a big whiskey still?
7. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
8. What does Chapter 16 suggest about the place of church going in the lives of Little Tree's family?
9. How do Granpa and Little Tree continue to make sure that as much as possible is learned from Little's Tree loss in the calf purchase?
10. How does Little Tree's love of nature help him through the misery he feels at the orphanage?
This section contains 1,788 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)