|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weekly event puts Little Tree and his family in the company of Willow John?
(a) On the way from the settlement every Saturday, they drop off supplies for Willow John.
(b) On the way to church every Sunday, they stop to visit Willow John.
(c) On the way from the settlement every Saturday, they pick up Willow John to go home with them.
(d) On the way from church every Sunday, they pick up Willow John to go to the cabin for lunch.
2. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
(a) Granpa makes Little Tree go without his earnings for the next two weeks.
(b) Granpa sends him to find the man who sold him the calf and demand his money.
(c) Granpa makes Little Tree write down on paper how much he spent and lost.
(d) Granpa reduces Little Tree's stake in the business.
3. How does the reverend at the orphanage continue the prejudice that Little Tree has suffered throughout his life?
(a) He calls him a terrible name and says he doesn't have to go to church because people like him cannot be saved.
(b) He assigns Little Tree to a cot in the basement.
(c) He gives Little Tree special clothing that will set him apart from the other children.
(d) He makes Little Tree wear a shirt with "Outcast" written across the back.
4. How does Little Tree's education and instincts about nature get him into trouble at the orphanage?
(a) He tells the teacher that the mourning dove is a sign of death.
(b) He tells the teacher that the trees and the winds can communicate with him.
(c) He explains to the teacher that the dogs in the courtyard are mating.
(d) He explains to the teacher that the deer in a picture are mating.
5. In the incident with the two men from Chattanooga, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he is becoming clever and less trusting?
(a) He asks for two dollars instead and leads them away from the trail.
(b) He takes the dollar and then tells them he doesn't know Granpa.
(c) He takes the dollar and tells them Granpa is at the settlement.
(d) He takes the dollar they offer him to lead them to Granpa but he leads them away from the stills.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
2. How does the author create sympathy in the reader for Willow John?
3. In Chapter 12, how does the author demonstrate Granpa's respect for the animals?
4. In the incident when Granpa sees the old farmhouse in the clearing, why is Granpa surprised by the soldier's treatment of the people on the farm when he returns there later?
5. In regard to the family that Granpa sees facing hardships on the farm, what do Granpa and the soldiers have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Granpa interested in talking to Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk about putting him to work on a big whiskey still?
2. Identify two specific lessons that Little Tree learns from his family and that are reinforced by Mr. Wine.
3. How does this episode on the old farm symbolize both the cruelty and generosity observed by Granpa in his youth?
4. Give a brief summary of the events related by Granpa that lead to Little Tree's return from the orphanage.
5. During an incident in Chapter 13, poor people on the farm in the clearing are harassed and killed by government authorities. What part does this incident play in the novel?
6. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
7. How do Granpa and Little Tree continue to make sure that as much as possible is learned from Little's Tree loss in the calf purchase?
8. How and why does Granpa's approach to people in church who are badly off differ from the approach of others?
9. How does the description of the incident with Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk demonstrate the author's ability to use humor?
10. What are the main purposes served by the incident in which Granpa is bitten by the rattlesnake?
This section contains 1,953 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)