|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
(a) The church is only open for services once per month.
(b) It is the only church so it services various faiths, including Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Church of Christ.
(c) The church only allows Cherokee to sit at the back.
(d) It is the only church so the preacher uses many different languages.
2. How does Mr. Wine's death shed light on the previous incident in which he prays and then walks away without acknowledging Little Tree's gratitude for the yellow coat?
(a) It makes it clear that Mr. Wine knows he is going to die and wants to express his special feeling for Little Tree.
(b) It makes it clear that Mr. Wine wants to die alone.
(c) It makes it clear that Mr. Wine knows he is about to die and has no relatives to tell.
(d) It makes it clear that Mr. Wine is losing his mind.
3. What does the author reveal about how Little Tree is released from the orphanage?
(a) That the reverend sends for Granma and tells her to remove Little Tree because Granpa is threatening him.
(b) That the reverend sends for Granpa and tells him he is being followed by a savage who tells him Little Tree is to go home.
(c) That Pine Billy goes to the reverend and tells him to release Little Tree or he will report the beatings to the authorities.
(d) That the reverend sends for Granpa and tells him Little Tree is to be taken away because of his savagery.
4. How does the preacher make Granpa angry in some of his sermons?
(a) He rants and raves about whiskey makers.
(b) He talks with contempt about the Catholics.
(c) He talks a lot about Pharisees or separates, while looking and pointing straight at Granpa's family.
(d) He talks with contempt about the Cherokee.
5. In the incident with the two men from Chattanooga, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he is becoming clever and less trusting?
(a) He takes the dollar and then tells them he doesn't know Granpa.
(b) He takes the dollar and tells them Granpa is at the settlement.
(c) He asks for two dollars instead and leads them away from the trail.
(d) He takes the dollar they offer him to lead them to Granpa but he leads them away from the stills.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
2. What evidence is given in Chapter 16 that there is prejudice even in the church?
3. In what two ways does the author introduce humor in the incident with the two men from Chattanooga?
4. What is the first thing that Little Tree does on the trail when he is going home from the orphanage?
5. How does Little Tree's education and instincts about nature get him into trouble at the orphanage?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)