|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In regard to the family that Granpa sees facing hardships on the farm, what do Granpa and the soldiers have in common?
(a) They are concerned about the children.
(b) They are prejudiced against the black man at the farm.
(c) They are motivated to provide help.
(d) They believe they have no right to be there.
2. According to Mr. Jenkins, who are the two men from Chattanooga and why are they looking for Granpa?
(a) Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk are big city men who want to buy land from Granpa.
(b) Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk are big city men who want to buy crops from Granpa.
(c) Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk are big city men in the whiskey trade and want to put Granpa to work on a big still.
(d) Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk are big city men who have come to investigate Little Tree's upbringing.
3. How do religious and cultural beliefs cause Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter to act negatively towards each other?
(a) Their beliefs cause them to remain on separate sides of the square at the settlement.
(b) Their beliefs cause them to avoid speaking to each other.
(c) They dislike each other because they have different beliefs.
(d) Little Tree has been taught to distrust Christians, while the girl has been taught that Indians are lazy heathen savages.
4. What does the author imply might be the reason for the special bond that exists between Mr. Wine and Little Tree's family?
(a) Thay they have both lost many relatives.
(b) That they both place a great emphasis on education.
(c) That they have both experienced prejudice and exclusion.
(d) That they both have lost their "Nation" and have relatives scattered all over.
5. What dangerous adventure gives Chapter 12 its title?
(a) Little Tree is bitten by a rattlesnake.
(b) Granpa is bitten by a bear.
(c) Little Tree is bitten by a bear.
(d) Granpa is bitten by a rattlesnake from which he rescues Little Tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the red flag planted on the land by the regulators?
2. In the incident when Granpa sees the old farmhouse in the clearing, why is Granpa surprised by the soldier's treatment of the people on the farm when he returns there later?
3. How does the preacher make Granpa angry in some of his sermons?
4. What is the special symbolism of the chapter title "Down From the mountain"?
5. Which of the following is the best explanation for the author's inclusion of Granpa's story about the "Farm in the Clearing" in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief summary of the events related by Granpa that lead to Little Tree's return from the orphanage.
2. How does the description of the incident with Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk demonstrate the author's ability to use humor?
3. In what ways does the author communicate to the reader the growing fear and grief experienced by Granpa, Granma and Little Tree at the prospect of their separation?
4. Identify two specific lessons that Little Tree learns from his family and that are reinforced by Mr. Wine.
5. How and why does Granpa's approach to people in church who are badly off differ from the approach of others?
6. What are the main purposes served by the incident in which Granpa is bitten by the rattlesnake?
7. Write a short character sketch of Mr. Wine and summarize his role in the story.
8. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
9. Why isn't Granpa interested in talking to Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk about putting him to work on a big whiskey still?
10. In what way does the title of Chapter 18 foreshadow the events that occur in it?
This section contains 2,025 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)