|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What change does Little Tree make that demonstrates how much he has learned from the loss of the money spent on the calf?
(a) He resolves to bury his money in his secret place.
(b) He resolves to give his money to Granma to keep.
(c) He resolves to give Granpa his money to keep.
(d) He resolves to keep his extra money in his fruit jar instead of in his pocket.
2. How does the reverend at the orphanage continue the prejudice that Little Tree has suffered throughout his life?
(a) He assigns Little Tree to a cot in the basement.
(b) He gives Little Tree special clothing that will set him apart from the other children.
(c) He makes Little Tree wear a shirt with "Outcast" written across the back.
(d) He calls him a terrible name and says he doesn't have to go to church because people like him cannot be saved.
3. In the incident when Granpa sees the old farmhouse in the clearing, why is Granpa surprised by the soldier's treatment of the people on the farm when he returns there later?
(a) Granpa expects the soldiers to throw them off the land but they tie them up in the barn.
(b) Granpa expects the soldiers to harm them but they actually bring them a mule.
(c) Granpa expects the soldiers to help the people but they actually attack them with guns .
(d) Granpa expects the soldiers to stop them from plowing but they charge them taxes.
4. In regard to leaving the orphanage, how does Granpa reveal that he wants Little Tree to continue learning to make his own decisions?
(a) Granpa tells the reverend to call Little Tree, and they ask him if he wants to go home.
(b) Granpa tells Granma to write a letter that Pine Billy takes to Little Tree asking if he wants to go home.
(c) Granpa goes to the gate of the orphanage and lets Little Tree decide whether to go home with him.
(d) Granpa sends Pine Billy to the orphanage to find out if Little Tree wants to go home.
5. In Chapter 12, how does the author demonstrate Granpa's respect for the animals?
(a) They throw the young fish back into the creek.
(b) They stop trapping in the Spring and Summer because the animals are raising their young.
(c) They stop trapping once they have caught enough for a meal.
(d) They release animals from the trap when they are carrying young ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weekly event puts Little Tree and his family in the company of Willow John?
2. How does Little Tree's love and appreciation of nature help him overcome the isolation of the orphanage?
3. How does Granpa help Little Tree understand the seriousness of spending the money on the calf?
4. Why does Little Tree believe that the incident in which he gets into trouble with the teacher eventually leads to Granpa coming for him?
5. Which of the following is the best explanation for the author's inclusion of Granpa's story about the "Farm in the Clearing" in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. During an incident in Chapter 13, poor people on the farm in the clearing are harassed and killed by government authorities. What part does this incident play in the novel?
2. Give a brief summary of the events related by Granpa that lead to Little Tree's return from the orphanage.
3. Why isn't Granpa interested in talking to Mr. Slick and Mr. Chunk about putting him to work on a big whiskey still?
4. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
5. Give an example from Chapter 12 of how well the author uses vivid description to convey a picture of Spring to the reader.
6. What are the main purposes served by the incident in which Granpa is bitten by the rattlesnake?
7. Write a short character sketch of Mr. Wine and summarize his role in the story.
8. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
9. What examples of prejudice and misunderstanding does Little Tree encounter at the orphanage?
10. What purpose does Willow John serve in the novel?
This section contains 1,970 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)