|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Little Tree planning to do with the extra coins he is keeping in his pocket from his savings?
(a) Buy a dictionary to learn new words.
(b) Buy candy for the sharecropper's daughter.
(c) Buy a candy box for Granma's Christmas present.
(d) Buy a hat for Granpa.
2. Who guides the family when it comes to books, decisions and words?
(a) The librarian.
3. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
(a) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause jealousy.
(b) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause others to starve.
(c) Granpa teaches Little Tree that people who store and take more than their share contribute to wars, land-grabbing and changing nature's ways.
(d) Granpa says that people who take more than their share do better than others.
4. According to Chapter 3, how does Granpa feel about politicians and authority figures?
(a) Granpa is afraid of politicians and authority figures.
(b) Granpa believes politicians and authority figures are necessary to keep order.
(c) Granpa does not like politicians and authority figures.
(d) Granpa likes to hear about politicians and authority figures.
5. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
(a) The author describes the mountain and then changes the setting to the busy square at the settlement.
(b) The author contrasts the plow with the fast black car driven by the visitor.
(c) The author brings the excited policeman dressed in his city clothes into the cabin where everyone is calm and dressed in traditional clothes.
(d) The author describes the routine, laborious work on the land and later shows readers a colorful visitor talking about cars, criminals and money-making schemes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Granpa help Little Tree to accept the death of Ringer after he is bludgeoned in the mountains?
2. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
3. In Chapter 2, who has just died when Little Tree's relatives argue about where he should live?
4. Who is Smokehouse and what role does he play in Chapter 7?
5. Why is it important for the author to reveal that Granpa and Granma have friends who visit them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important facts does the author provide about Little Tree when he is introduced to the reader?
2. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
3. Why is the trail called the "Trail of Tears" and how does the author challenge some traditional beliefs about what happened there?
4. How does the beginning of Chapter 10 contrast with the ending of the incident in which Little Tree protects the whiskey still from the outsiders?
5. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
6. How is Granpa's approach to his trade different from that of some whiskey traders to whom he objects?
7. What is the importance of the boot moccasins that Granma makes for Little Tree?
8. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
9. Why does Little Tree go to bed feeling happy even though he has lost his father and mother?
10. According to Chapter 6, why is it important for Little Tree to know the past?
This section contains 1,626 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)