|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
(a) Because some people don't know the meanings of the words they use.
(b) Because words have many different meanings.
(c) Because people tell lies using misleading words.
(d) Because people, like politicians, sometimes use words to trick others.
2. At the beginning of the novel, how is Little Tree taken to his new home?
(a) He goes by car.
(b) He rides a bus part of the way and then walks.
(c) He goes by bus.
(d) He walks.
3. What does the visitor in Chapter 7 do at dinner that tempts Little Tree to forget one of his lessons about taking things?
(a) He tells Little Tree he can have one of the corns, and Little Tree is tempted to take the biggest one.
(b) He takes three slices of Granma's sweet potato pie, and Little Tree silently craves the last slice.
(c) He wears bright yellow high-top shoes that Little Tree secretly craves.
(d) He brings only three small corns so Little Tree has to do without.
4. How does Granpa teach Little Tree respect for the small creatures in Chapter 8?
(a) To catch the tadpoles and place them in a jar for safety.
(b) To set the spiders back in the ferns when they fall into the water.
(c) To stay away from the spiders and the frogs.
(d) To avoid disturbing the frogs' songs by walking on tiptoes.
5. From the incident with the black car, what is revealed about Granpa's attitude towards words?
(a) Granpa finds words helpful in understanding other people.
(b) Granpa wants Little Tree to learn many new words.
(c) Granpa thinks there are too many words and he prefers the sound of speech rather than the words used.
(d) Granpa is eager to learn new words.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
2. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
3. According to Granma, why are secret places so important?
4. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
5. What is the unique mark on Granpa's whiskey jar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the beginning of Chapter 10 contrast with the ending of the incident in which Little Tree protects the whiskey still from the outsiders?
2. Why does Little Tree go to bed feeling happy even though he has lost his father and mother?
3. What important facts does the author provide about Little Tree when he is introduced to the reader?
4. What descriptions of the journey to, and arrival at his new home establish that Little Tree is going to be in a strange place?
5. How is Granpa's approach to his trade different from that of some whiskey traders to whom he objects?
6. Explain two important symbols used in Chapter 9.
7. What does the introduction of Pine Billy add to the story?
8. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
9. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
10. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
This section contains 1,589 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)