|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Granpa's joke, why is Ti-bi robbed by the bear, the coon and the Cherokee?
(a) Because he does not watch out for the hawk.
(b) For taking more than he needs from nature.
(c) Because he eats too much and falls asleep.
(d) Because he leaves his surroundings unprotected.
2. What is Little Tree's responsibility in producing the whiskey?
(a) He helps to stir and clean the pot.
(b) He helps to bottle the whiskey.
(c) He helps to carry the whiskey to the store.
(d) He helps to pour the sugar in the whiskey.
3. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
(a) That Granpa knows the trail very well.
(b) That Granpa has common sense.
(c) That Granpa has a natural ability to understand what is going on among the animals during the chase.
(d) That Granpa is able to smell the animals from far away.
4. Who guides the family when it comes to books, decisions and words?
(d) The librarian.
5. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
(a) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause jealousy.
(b) Granpa teaches Little Tree that people who store and take more than their share contribute to wars, land-grabbing and changing nature's ways.
(c) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause others to starve.
(d) Granpa says that people who take more than their share do better than others.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Little Tree's new home, what is the "dogtrot"?
2. What is Little Tree planning to do with the extra coins he is keeping in his pocket from his savings?
3. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
4. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
5. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Granpa's approach to his trade different from that of some whiskey traders to whom he objects?
2. What descriptions of the journey to, and arrival at his new home establish that Little Tree is going to be in a strange place?
3. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
4. What is the importance of the boot moccasins that Granma makes for Little Tree?
5. At the end of Chapter 2, why does the author end with a poem?
6. How does Little Tree's independent selection of a secret place inform the reader about his character?
7. According to Chapter 6, why is it important for Little Tree to know the past?
8. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
9. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
10. Why is the trail called the "Trail of Tears" and how does the author challenge some traditional beliefs about what happened there?
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)