|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
(b) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
(c) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
(d) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
2. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
(a) A good supper.
(b) Granma and Granpa promise to take care of him.
(c) He holds a gift from his mother as he goes to sleep.
(d) Granma sings him a song that makes him understand his new name.
3. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
(a) A law to force Cherokees to live in modern houses.
(b) A tax on Cherokee lands.
(c) A law to send all Cherokee children to orphanages for proper education.
(d) A tax on whiskey.
4. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
(a) The author suggests that he is not a sincere friend of the family, but Little Tree trusts him.
(b) The author suggests that he is always making up stories and schemes, but Little Tree thinks he is wise and successful.
(c) The author suggests that he is not very generous, but Little Tree thinks he is kind.
(d) The author suggests that he is spying on how Little Tree is being brought up, but Little Tree thinks he is a true friend.
5. Why is it significant that Granpa reminds Little Tree in Chapter 10 about the importance of paying attention to people's tone and not just their words?
(a) Because shortly after the reminder, Little Tree is tricked by a "Christian" using misleading words.
(b) Because Granpa knows that there is trouble coming.
(c) Because Granpa knows that a politician will be visiting.
(d) Because Little Tree is getting older and facing new challenges.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Granpa's joke, why is Ti-bi robbed by the bear, the coon and the Cherokee?
2. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
3. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
4. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
5. What reason does Granpa suggest as the only logical explanation for this law of George Washington's that makes him so angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
2. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
3. How does the behavior of some of the people on the bus help to introduce one of the themes of the novel?
4. In Chapter 3, how does Granpa explain George Washington's decision to introduce a tax on whiskey? How does Granpa justify this belief?
5. How does Granpa's attitude to fox hunting make him special and show his regard for nature?
6. Give two important place names and one animal's name that occur in chapter 4. Explain why the names are very appropriate.
7. How does Little Tree's independent selection of a secret place inform the reader about his character?
8. How does the revelation of Granpa's trade help to shed light on the reason for his earlier objection to one of George Washington's laws?
9. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
10. How does the beginning of Chapter 10 contrast with the ending of the incident in which Little Tree protects the whiskey still from the outsiders?
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)