|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, how is Little Tree taken to his new home?
(a) He rides a bus part of the way and then walks.
(b) He walks.
(c) He goes by bus.
(d) He goes by car.
2. How does the incident with the fox and hounds affect the relationship between Granpa and Little Tree?
(a) It has no effect on the relationship.
(b) It causes Little Tree to fear Granpa.
(c) It continues to deepen the growing bond between Granpa and Little Tree.
(d) It damages the relationship between Granpa and Little Tree.
3. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
(a) The author suggests that he is not a sincere friend of the family, but Little Tree trusts him.
(b) The author suggests that he is not very generous, but Little Tree thinks he is kind.
(c) The author suggests that he is always making up stories and schemes, but Little Tree thinks he is wise and successful.
(d) The author suggests that he is spying on how Little Tree is being brought up, but Little Tree thinks he is a true friend.
4. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
(a) Ol' Trickster, the fox.
(b) Ol' Runner, the fox.
(c) Ol' Slick, the fox.
(d) Ol' Slipper, the fox.
5. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
(a) That Granpa almost went to Chattanooga.
(b) The bad effects of fighting.
(c) That he has many relatives.
(d) That "kin" is all about the love and understanding between some people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the driver of the vehicle who takes Little Tree to his new home treat Granma and Granpa?
2. What does Granma make for Little Tree to wear for his first walk up the trail with Granpa?
3. What can the reader deduce about the author's intention in describing Cherokee beliefs and values in Chapter 8?
4. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
5. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
2. What does the introduction of Pine Billy add to the story?
3. Give two important place names and one animal's name that occur in chapter 4. Explain why the names are very appropriate.
4. What is the importance of revealing that Granma and Granpa have friends and visitors like Pine Billy?
5. How does the author describe the Cherokee response to their oppression along the Trail of Tears?
6. How does Granma explain the existence of body and spirit to Little Tree in Chapter 8?
7. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
8. How does the behavior of some of the people on the bus help to introduce one of the themes of the novel?
9. What is "The Way" and why does it play a critical role in Little Tree's education?
10. Why is Granpa teaching Little Tree to do the hard work involved in farming so early in his life?
This section contains 1,559 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)