|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he goes up the trail, how does Little Tree become aware of "Mon-o-lah", the earth mother?
(a) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a cave.
(b) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a stream of water.
(c) Little Tree feels the earth mother through his special shoes.
(d) Little Tree hears the earth mother whispering in the wind.
2. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
(a) Because Granpa teaches him that when spoken to, he should give full attention out of respect.
(b) Because it is beginning to spill oil.
(c) Because it is getting heavy.
(d) To avoid the smell.
3. By allowing him to watch the chase, how does Granpa reinforce his earlier lessons to Little Tree about the ways of nature and animals?
(a) By not allowing the hounds to kill the fox.
(b) By telling Little Tree it is wrong to kill.
(c) By never killing the fox, which he does not need.
(d) By not allowing the fox to kill the hounds.
4. Which character comes to visit the family in Chapter 7?
(a) The lady from the big, black car.
(b) The preacher.
(c) The sharecropper.
(d) Pine Billy.
5. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
(a) Because the Cherokees constantly practice racism.
(b) Because it's the only time it happens.
(c) To foreshadow more serious instances of racism that will occur later.
(d) Because Little Tree's family are freedom fighters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Granma scold Little Tree for getting wet in the woods?
2. In Chapter 2, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he has learned Granpa's lesson about nature's ways?
3. What is the Hangin' Gap?
4. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
5. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
2. What does the introduction of Pine Billy add to the story?
3. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
4. In Chapter 3, how does Granpa explain George Washington's decision to introduce a tax on whiskey? How does Granpa justify this belief?
5. Give an example from Chapter 4 of the author's ability to use vivid description.
6. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
7. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
8. How does the revelation of Granpa's trade help to shed light on the reason for his earlier objection to one of George Washington's laws?
9. Apart from hunting, what is the special reason for Granpa taking Little Tree out for this all-night adventure?
10. Why is the trail called the "Trail of Tears" and how does the author challenge some traditional beliefs about what happened there?
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)