|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Granpa object to people who age whiskey?
(a) He believes they age whiskey to disguise the substances they add to it.
(b) He believes they are trying to disguise bad whiskey by keeping it longer.
(c) He believes rich men scheme to convince people that aged whiskey is better.
(d) He believes that they are trying to make extra money.
2. What does Granma make for Little Tree to wear for his first walk up the trail with Granpa?
(a) A bag to take his food.
(b) A hat to protect him from the sun.
(c) A warm coat.
(d) Boot moccasins.
3. What reason does Granpa suggest as the only logical explanation for this law of George Washington's that makes him so angry?
(a) Washington got a blow in the head.
(b) Washington is a thief.
(c) Washington hates Cherokees.
(d) Washington hates children.
4. How does Granma respond when Little Tree gives her musk bugs?
(a) She calls Granpa to complain about what Little Tree has done.
(b) She praises Little Tree for spreading good by sharing whatever good one finds.
(c) She gathers them in a bottle to make the cabin smell good.
(d) She is frightened and asks him to take them away.
5. According to Granma, what happens to people who use the body-living mind for greedy purposes?
(a) The spirit-mind shrinks and in rebirth, the child is born with a small spirit-mind that could eventually disappear and be completely lost.
(b) They suffer because they have no spirit of generosity.
(c) They suffer because other people hate their prosperity.
(d) They are the ones who acquire wealth and power.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
2. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
3. In Chapter 7, why does Granpa say that Little Tree looks like he is becoming a man?
4. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
5. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the closing chapter of the novel, how does the author's treatment of Willow John's death help to reinforce the beliefs of the Cherokee?
2. Apart from hunting, what is the special reason for Granpa taking Little Tree out for this all-night adventure?
3. Give two important place names and one animal's name that occur in chapter 4. Explain why the names are very appropriate.
4. How and why does Granpa's approach to people in church who are badly off differ from the approach of others?
5. Why does Little Tree go to bed feeling happy even though he has lost his father and mother?
6. How does Granpa's attitude to fox hunting make him special and show his regard for nature?
7. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
8. What examples of prejudice and misunderstanding does Little Tree encounter at the orphanage?
9. What are the main purposes served by the incident in which Granpa is bitten by the rattlesnake?
10. What does the introduction of Pine Billy add to the story?
This section contains 1,723 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)