|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Granma scold Little Tree for getting wet in the woods?
(a) Cherokee do not scold children for anything that has to do with the woods.
(b) Because there were no rules laid down about getting wet in the woods.
(c) Because Granpa begs for him to be forgiven.
(d) Because he's already being punished with a bad cold.
2. How does Granma respond when Little Tree gives her musk bugs?
(a) She is frightened and asks him to take them away.
(b) She gathers them in a bottle to make the cabin smell good.
(c) She calls Granpa to complain about what Little Tree has done.
(d) She praises Little Tree for spreading good by sharing whatever good one finds.
3. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
(a) Family Circles.
(b) Little Tree's Education.
(c) Granpa Learns to Read.
(d) Winter Evenings at the Cabin.
4. What is Granpa's reason for taking Little Tree on this walk up the trail?
(a) To show him the way up to the mountains so he can see the sunrise.
(b) To teach him how to hunt.
(c) To show him the bees at work.
(d) To expose him to the animals and teach him "The Way".
5. How does Granpa teach Little Tree respect for the small creatures in Chapter 8?
(a) To set the spiders back in the ferns when they fall into the water.
(b) To stay away from the spiders and the frogs.
(c) To catch the tadpoles and place them in a jar for safety.
(d) To avoid disturbing the frogs' songs by walking on tiptoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Granpa's joke, why is Ti-bi robbed by the bear, the coon and the Cherokee?
2. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
3. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
4. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 5?
5. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
2. What is the importance of the boot moccasins that Granma makes for Little Tree?
3. How does the author describe the Cherokee response to their oppression along the Trail of Tears?
4. What descriptions of the journey to, and arrival at his new home establish that Little Tree is going to be in a strange place?
5. How does the revelation of Granpa's trade help to shed light on the reason for his earlier objection to one of George Washington's laws?
6. According to Granma, how does the spirit-mind relate to understanding of death and nature in secret places?
7. What important facts does the author provide about Little Tree when he is introduced to the reader?
8. Why is the trail called the "Trail of Tears" and how does the author challenge some traditional beliefs about what happened there?
9. How does Granma explain the existence of body and spirit to Little Tree in Chapter 8?
10. According to Chapter 6, why is it important for Little Tree to know the past?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)