|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
(a) A good supper.
(b) He holds a gift from his mother as he goes to sleep.
(c) Granma sings him a song that makes him understand his new name.
(d) Granma and Granpa promise to take care of him.
2. What does the visitor in Chapter 7 do at dinner that tempts Little Tree to forget one of his lessons about taking things?
(a) He tells Little Tree he can have one of the corns, and Little Tree is tempted to take the biggest one.
(b) He takes three slices of Granma's sweet potato pie, and Little Tree silently craves the last slice.
(c) He wears bright yellow high-top shoes that Little Tree secretly craves.
(d) He brings only three small corns so Little Tree has to do without.
3. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
(a) They go to church.
(b) Granma reads to Little Tree and Granpa.
(c) They roast chestnuts in the fireplace.
(d) They make rugs from the deer hide.
4. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
(a) To show that Granma is more knowledgeable about important things.
(b) To show that Granpa has no spiritual side so Granma has to do it.
(c) To show that both his grandparents play equally important roles in shaping his development.
(d) To show that there is a bond between Granma and Little Tree that does not exist between Little Tree and Granpa.
5. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
(a) Ol' Trickster, the fox.
(b) Ol' Runner, the fox.
(c) Ol' Slipper, the fox.
(d) Ol' Slick, the fox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 8 to suggest that Little Tree has a natural tendency towards some Cherokee ways?
2. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
3. Which three people does Little Tree learn about from Granpa's stories in Chapter 5?
4. Little Tree's bed is made of what material?
5. In Chapter 7, Little Tree's grandparents place emphasis on teaching him some more very important skills. Why do they do this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "The Way" and why does it play a critical role in Little Tree's education?
2. According to Chapter 6, why is it important for Little Tree to know the past?
3. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
4. What is the importance of the boot moccasins that Granma makes for Little Tree?
5. Comment on the title of Chapter 10.
6. How is Granpa's approach to his trade different from that of some whiskey traders to whom he objects?
7. What important facts does the author provide about Little Tree when he is introduced to the reader?
8. How does the author describe the Cherokee response to their oppression along the Trail of Tears?
9. Why does Little Tree go to bed feeling happy even though he has lost his father and mother?
10. Explain two important symbols used in Chapter 9.
This section contains 1,615 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)