Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
(a) The author describes the routine, laborious work on the land and later shows readers a colorful visitor talking about cars, criminals and money-making schemes.
(b) The author brings the excited policeman dressed in his city clothes into the cabin where everyone is calm and dressed in traditional clothes.
(c) The author contrasts the plow with the fast black car driven by the visitor.
(d) The author describes the mountain and then changes the setting to the busy square at the settlement.
2. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
(a) He tells Granpa to remember his heritage and pass it on to other Cherokee.
(b) He reminds Granpa about kin and the fact that the mountains will not change and Pa tells him how much he cares for him.
(c) He tells Granpa it is time to surrender and end the fighting.
(d) He tells Granpa to continue to fight for the Nation.
3. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
(a) Granma sings him a song that makes him understand his new name.
(b) A good supper.
(c) Granma and Granpa promise to take care of him.
(d) He holds a gift from his mother as he goes to sleep.
4. How does Chapter 2 end?
(a) With a poem about the animals.
(b) With a poem about Mon-o-lah and The Way.
(c) With a poem about the sunrise on the mountain.
(d) With a poem about love of nature.
5. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
(a) The people in the church have been saying bad things about him.
(b) Because having fought battles all his life and lost everything, he has nothing more to fight about.
(c) He has lost his home and family.
(d) He believes the preacher's sermon is against him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Granpa object to people who age whiskey?
2. What does the reader learn about Granpa from his reaction to the lady in the black car who is rude to him?
3. From the incident with the black car, what is revealed about Granpa's attitude towards words?
4. What is the Hangin' Gap?
5. In Chapter 10 how does the author demonstrate that Little Tree has a conscience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
2. What are the early symbols in Chapter 20 of Little Tree's excitement that he is home from the orphanage?
3. Why is Granpa teaching Little Tree to do the hard work involved in farming so early in his life?
4. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
5. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
6. What descriptions of the journey to, and arrival at his new home establish that Little Tree is going to be in a strange place?
7. How does Little Tree's love of nature help him through the misery he feels at the orphanage?
8. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
9. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
10. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
This section contains 1,672 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)