|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
(a) Because words have many different meanings.
(b) Because people tell lies using misleading words.
(c) Because people, like politicians, sometimes use words to trick others.
(d) Because some people don't know the meanings of the words they use.
2. By allowing him to watch the chase, how does Granpa reinforce his earlier lessons to Little Tree about the ways of nature and animals?
(a) By telling Little Tree it is wrong to kill.
(b) By not allowing the fox to kill the hounds.
(c) By not allowing the hounds to kill the fox.
(d) By never killing the fox, which he does not need.
3. What does the incident between Little Tree and the lawmen on the mountain demonstrate about Little Tree?
(a) That he knows where to hide in the mountains.
(b) His bravery and commitment to protecting Granpa and the whiskey still from outsiders.
(c) That he knows the signals necessary to warn Granpa when others are approaching.
(d) That he loves Granpa but he is afraid of the men with badges.
4. According to Granma, why are secret places so important?
(a) They allow each person to pray.
(b) They allow each person to read in a quiet place.
(c) They nurture each individual's spirit body.
(d) They allow each person to hide away when faced with danger.
5. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
(b) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(c) They use a special writing system.
(d) They use symbols on caves.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is this visitor in Chapter 7 hoping to become rich?
2. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
3. How does Granpa teach Little Tree respect for the small creatures in Chapter 8?
4. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
5. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
2. How does the beginning of Chapter 10 contrast with the ending of the incident in which Little Tree protects the whiskey still from the outsiders?
3. Give an example from Chapter 4 of the author's ability to use vivid description.
4. Why is Granpa teaching Little Tree to do the hard work involved in farming so early in his life?
5. How does the author describe the Cherokee response to their oppression along the Trail of Tears?
6. Why is the trail called the "Trail of Tears" and how does the author challenge some traditional beliefs about what happened there?
7. Comment on the title of Chapter 10.
8. What is the importance of revealing that Granma and Granpa have friends and visitors like Pine Billy?
9. Give two important place names and one animal's name that occur in chapter 4. Explain why the names are very appropriate.
10. What important facts does the author provide about Little Tree when he is introduced to the reader?
This section contains 1,593 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)