|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it important for the author to reveal that Granpa and Granma have friends who visit them?
(a) To make it clear that Little Tree is kept away from adults who are not Cherokee.
(b) To make it clear that Little Tree's grandparents are not bringing him up in a way that isolates him from other people.
(c) To make it clear that everyone is not racially prejudiced.
(d) To make it clear that Little Tree is being protected.
2. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
(a) She wants Granpa to have someone to admire.
(b) She doesn't want to upset Little Tree.
(c) She doesn't want Little Tree exposed to violent stories.
(d) She thinks Granpa will get angry.
3. In Chapter 2, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he has learned Granpa's lesson about nature's ways?
(a) By protecting Ti-bi from the hawk.
(b) By selecting the three smallest turkeys from the turkey trap to take home.
(c) By rescuing the quail.
(d) By releasing the turkeys from the trap.
4. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
(a) The time when the sun sets.
(b) The time when they go to bed.
(c) The weather.
(d) The cost of a nickel to fill the coal oil lamp.
5. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
(a) Because words have many different meanings.
(b) Because people tell lies using misleading words.
(c) Because people, like politicians, sometimes use words to trick others.
(d) Because some people don't know the meanings of the words they use.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Granma, why are secret places so important?
2. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
3. Why is it significant that Granpa reminds Little Tree in Chapter 10 about the importance of paying attention to people's tone and not just their words?
4. In Little Tree's new home, what is the "dogtrot"?
5. At the end of Chapter 2, how does Little Tree feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
2. What does the reader learn in Chapter 3 about the librarian's attitude to lending books to Little Tree and Granpa when they visit the library?
3. How does the author describe the Cherokee response to their oppression along the Trail of Tears?
4. Explain two important symbols used in Chapter 9.
5. What is the importance of revealing that Granma and Granpa have friends and visitors like Pine Billy?
6. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
7. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
8. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
9. Comment on the title of Chapter 10.
10. How does Granpa's attitude to fox hunting make him special and show his regard for nature?
This section contains 1,668 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)