|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Granpa from his reaction to the lady in the black car who is rude to him?
(a) He is afraid of people who insult others.
(b) He is able to maintain his dignity even when treated badly.
(c) He does not understand insults.
(d) He has a very bad temper.
2. How is Granpa's approach to making whiskey different from that of the "city criminals" who just want to make money?
(a) Granpa only uses water to increase the volume.
(b) Granpa puts nothing in his whiskey to increase volume while others add various substances to increase the volume.
(c) Granpa only uses lye to increase the volume.
(d) Granpa only uses sugar to increase the volume.
3. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
(a) As an incident of fierce aggression by the Cherokee.
(b) As an incident of cruelty in which the Cherokee displayed pride.
(c) As an incident of cruelty from which the Cherokee never recovered.
(d) As an incident of shame and cowardice.
4. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
(a) He tells Granpa to remember his heritage and pass it on to other Cherokee.
(b) He tells Granpa to continue to fight for the Nation.
(c) He tells Granpa it is time to surrender and end the fighting.
(d) He reminds Granpa about kin and the fact that the mountains will not change and Pa tells him how much he cares for him.
5. Why does Granpa object to people who age whiskey?
(a) He believes they are trying to disguise bad whiskey by keeping it longer.
(b) He believes rich men scheme to convince people that aged whiskey is better.
(c) He believes that they are trying to make extra money.
(d) He believes they age whiskey to disguise the substances they add to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
2. What is the Trail of Tears?
3. Why does Granma describe some people in the world as "dead"?
4. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
5. Who is Smokehouse and what role does he play in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
2. Why is the trail called the "Trail of Tears" and how does the author challenge some traditional beliefs about what happened there?
3. What detailed explanation of "The Way" does Granpa's give Little Tree when the hawk, Tal-con kills a quail?
4. How does the author describe the Cherokee response to their oppression along the Trail of Tears?
5. Give an example from Chapter 4 of the author's ability to use vivid description.
6. How does the behavior of some of the people on the bus help to introduce one of the themes of the novel?
7. State an important purpose that is served by this chapter in regard to the social setting of the book.
8. What important facts does the author provide about Little Tree when he is introduced to the reader?
9. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
10. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)