|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Granma, why are secret places so important?
(a) They allow each person to hide away when faced with danger.
(b) They allow each person to read in a quiet place.
(c) They allow each person to pray.
(d) They nurture each individual's spirit body.
2. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
(a) He tells Granpa to continue to fight for the Nation.
(b) He reminds Granpa about kin and the fact that the mountains will not change and Pa tells him how much he cares for him.
(c) He tells Granpa it is time to surrender and end the fighting.
(d) He tells Granpa to remember his heritage and pass it on to other Cherokee.
3. By allowing him to watch the chase, how does Granpa reinforce his earlier lessons to Little Tree about the ways of nature and animals?
(a) By never killing the fox, which he does not need.
(b) By not allowing the fox to kill the hounds.
(c) By not allowing the hounds to kill the fox.
(d) By telling Little Tree it is wrong to kill.
4. What is Little Tree especially proud of in Chapter 9?
(a) That he is helping to take care of Granpa and Granma.
(b) That he owns fifty percent of the stake in the whiskey business.
(c) That he can contribute to making his own living.
(d) That he knows how to calculate the money from the whiskey.
5. How does Granpa help Little Tree overcome feeling empty and sad after Ringer's death?
(a) He tells him he will feel better in a few days.
(b) He tells him to accept that Ringer is better off as he won't suffer anymore.
(c) He tells him to remember the good times with Ringer.
(d) He says the only way not to feel empty and sad is never to love anything, but then he will always feel sad and empty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference between the author's portrayal of the visitor in Chapter 7 and the way in which the innocent Little Tree views him?
2. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
3. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
4. What does the reader learn about Granpa from his reaction to the lady in the black car who is rude to him?
5. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how does Granpa explain George Washington's decision to introduce a tax on whiskey? How does Granpa justify this belief?
2. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
3. What are the author's reasons for introducing the sharecropper and his daughter to the reader?
4. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
5. In what two ways do Granpa and Granma help to create a sense of worth in Little Tree during Chapter 15?
6. State an important purpose that is served by this chapter in regard to the social setting of the book.
7. How does the ending of the book recall the beginning and in what way does the author establish the contrast between these two points in Little Tree's life?
8. Comment on the title of Chapter 10.
9. What purpose does Willow John serve in the novel?
10. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
This section contains 1,860 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)