|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 1, what kind of house is Little Tree taken to by his grandparents?
(a) A tepee.
(b) A cabin.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A bungalow.
2. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
(a) That Granpa almost went to Chattanooga.
(b) That "kin" is all about the love and understanding between some people.
(c) The bad effects of fighting.
(d) That he has many relatives.
3. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
(a) A dictionary because Little Tree has to learn five words every week.
(b) A bible so that Little Tree can read more about the lessons he hears at church.
(c) A special book about nature because Little Tree's grandparents want him to love nature.
(d) A book about the Cherokees so that Little Tree can learn his heritage.
4. What two important characteristics of Granpa are revealed by the description of the fox and the hounds episode?
(a) Granpa's speed and agility.
(b) Granpa's love for swimming and diving.
(c) His immense respect for nature and animals and his sense of humor.
(d) Grandpa's great ability to catch foxes and control the hounds.
5. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
(a) That Granpa knows the trail very well.
(b) That Granpa is able to smell the animals from far away.
(c) That Granpa has common sense.
(d) That Granpa has a natural ability to understand what is going on among the animals during the chase.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
2. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 4?
3. How do the visitor's ambitions contrast with the values of Granpa and Granma?
4. How does Little Tree's innocence and trust lead him to lose his money?
5. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Granma explain the existence of body and spirit to Little Tree in Chapter 8?
2. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
3. Discuss the chief method used by the Indians to communicate beliefs and values from one generation to the other.
4. How does the author describe the Cherokee response to their oppression along the Trail of Tears?
5. What important facts does the author provide about Little Tree when he is introduced to the reader?
6. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
7. According to Chapter 6, why is it important for Little Tree to know the past?
8. Why is the trail called the "Trail of Tears" and how does the author challenge some traditional beliefs about what happened there?
9. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
10. What does the reader learn in Chapter 3 about the librarian's attitude to lending books to Little Tree and Granpa when they visit the library?
This section contains 1,627 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)