|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pa say farewell to Granpa when he is dying?
(a) He tells Granpa to remember his heritage and pass it on to other Cherokee.
(b) He reminds Granpa about kin and the fact that the mountains will not change and Pa tells him how much he cares for him.
(c) He tells Granpa to continue to fight for the Nation.
(d) He tells Granpa it is time to surrender and end the fighting.
2. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
(a) To show that Granma is more knowledgeable about important things.
(b) To show that both his grandparents play equally important roles in shaping his development.
(c) To show that there is a bond between Granma and Little Tree that does not exist between Little Tree and Granpa.
(d) To show that Granpa has no spiritual side so Granma has to do it.
3. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) They use a special writing system.
(b) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
(c) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(d) They use symbols on caves.
4. Which books are Granma's favorites to read?
(a) Bible stories.
(b) Shakespeare's plays.
(c) Books with poems and songs about children.
(d) Books about the Cherokees.
5. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
(a) A tax on Cherokee lands.
(b) A law to force Cherokees to live in modern houses.
(c) A law to send all Cherokee children to orphanages for proper education.
(d) A tax on whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
2. What does the woman in the black car ask when she stops Little Tree and Granpa on their way back from the settlement?
3. How does Granpa help Little Tree to accept the death of Ringer after he is bludgeoned in the mountains?
4. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
5. How does Granma respond when Little Tree gives her musk bugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the chief method used by the Indians to communicate beliefs and values from one generation to the other.
2. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
3. According to Granma, how does the spirit-mind relate to understanding of death and nature in secret places?
4. How does Chapter 5 establish some of the special roles played by Granma in the family?
5. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
6. How is Granpa's approach to his trade different from that of some whiskey traders to whom he objects?
7. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
8. What is the importance of the boot moccasins that Granma makes for Little Tree?
9. What is the importance of revealing that Granma and Granpa have friends and visitors like Pine Billy?
10. According to Chapter 6, why is it important for Little Tree to know the past?
This section contains 1,691 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)