|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can the reader deduce about the author's intention in describing Cherokee beliefs and values in Chapter 8?
(a) He intends to show that the Cherokee beliefs and values will make Little Tree feel like an outsider.
(b) He intends to ridicule the Cherokee's beliefs.
(c) He intends to show how different the Cherokee beliefs are from American beliefs.
(d) He intends to be respectful of the Cherokee beliefs and values.
2. What is the unique mark on Granpa's whiskey jar?
(a) A mark shaped like the whiskey still.
(b) A mark shaped like a tomahawk.
(c) A mark to remind him of his Scottish ancestry.
(d) A mark shaped like the fox.
3. According to Chapter 3, how does Granpa feel about politicians and authority figures?
(a) Granpa likes to hear about politicians and authority figures.
(b) Granpa is afraid of politicians and authority figures.
(c) Granpa does not like politicians and authority figures.
(d) Granpa believes politicians and authority figures are necessary to keep order.
4. Which character comes to visit the family in Chapter 7?
(a) Pine Billy.
(b) The sharecropper.
(c) The preacher.
(d) The lady from the big, black car.
5. In his reaction to this visitor, what characteristics does Little Tree display that he will have to overcome in order to avoid difficulties with some people outside his family?
(a) Little Tree does not pay close attention when others are speaking.
(b) Little Tree is afraid to trust others.
(c) Little Tree is gullible and trusting.
(d) Little Tree is tempted to take more food than he should.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the main theme of Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 10 how does the author demonstrate that Little Tree has a conscience?
3. At the end of Chapter 2, how does Little Tree feel?
4. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
5. What is Little Tree learning from the way in which Granma and Granpa deal with any extra money that they get from the whiskey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the title of Chapter 10.
2. Why does Little Tree go to bed feeling happy even though he has lost his father and mother?
3. What is the importance of the boot moccasins that Granma makes for Little Tree?
4. What descriptions of the journey to, and arrival at his new home establish that Little Tree is going to be in a strange place?
5. In Chapter 3, what does the author reveal about Granpa's views on politicians and authority figures?
6. How does the revelation of Granpa's trade help to shed light on the reason for his earlier objection to one of George Washington's laws?
7. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
8. How does Granpa use the whiskey trade to give Little Tree a sense of belonging in the family, and how do readers know that it works?
9. What is the importance of revealing that Granma and Granpa have friends and visitors like Pine Billy?
10. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)