|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Little Tree's bed is made of what material?
(a) A large flat board covered with sheets.
(b) Deer hide stretched on a frame of hickory posts.
(c) Old cloths stuffed in a large bag.
(d) Dried grass.
2. What does Little Tree find interesting that makes him watch the umbrella spider for hours?
(a) How the spider outwits and eats several flies.
(b) How the spider crawls back to the same place repeatedly.
(c) How the spider climbs out of the water.
(d) How persistent the spider is in building a wide web across ferns, even though it keeps falling into the water.
3. In Chapter 4, why does Little Tree feel grown-up?
(a) Granpa lets him go up the trail by himself.
(b) He is allowed to prepare the food.
(c) Granma gives him a deer shirt like Granpa's to wear.
(d) Granma teaches him to make his own shirt.
4. What is the name of the part of the mountain trail between the mountains where the trail becomes thinner?
(a) Thinning Trail.
(b) Narrow Trail.
(c) The Narrows.
5. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
(a) Because it is getting heavy.
(b) Because Granpa teaches him that when spoken to, he should give full attention out of respect.
(c) To avoid the smell.
(d) Because it is beginning to spill oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Little Tree's responsibility in producing the whiskey?
2. Why does the author cause Little Tree to be exposed to the Cherokee views about human nature at such an early age?
3. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 4?
4. In his reaction to this visitor, what characteristics does Little Tree display that he will have to overcome in order to avoid difficulties with some people outside his family?
5. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the beginning of Chapter 10 contrast with the ending of the incident in which Little Tree protects the whiskey still from the outsiders?
2. What is the importance of the boot moccasins that Granma makes for Little Tree?
3. Apart from hunting, what is the special reason for Granpa taking Little Tree out for this all-night adventure?
4. What does the reader learn in Chapter 3 about the librarian's attitude to lending books to Little Tree and Granpa when they visit the library?
5. What descriptions of the journey to, and arrival at his new home establish that Little Tree is going to be in a strange place?
6. Summarize the story about 'Coon Jack' and explain Granpa's reason for telling it to Little Tree.
7. Why does Little Tree go to bed feeling happy even though he has lost his father and mother?
8. How does Granma illustrate her father's ability to feel tree spirits?
9. Summarize the episode between Pine Billy and Smokehouse and say why it creates humor.
10. What is the significance of the title of the chapter "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)