|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is this visitor in Chapter 7 hoping to become rich?
(a) By winning a writing competition and through a reward for alerting the police to the existence of a big criminal.
(b) Through a prize in a competition at the settlement.
(c) By selling a large piece of land to the government and then earn interest at the bank.
(d) Through a reward from the police for turning in a stolen black car.
2. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
(a) Granma reads books that Little Tree brings them from the school at the settlement.
(b) Granma buys books at the settlement store.
(c) Little Tree and Granpa collect them from the library at the settlement.
(d) Granma reads books that Little Tree brought with him from his parents' home.
3. What is the Hangin' Gap?
(a) A creek in the thin part of the trail.
(b) The place where Cherokees hang those who steal animals.
(c) The space between two streams in the mountain.
(d) The gap between the two mountains.
4. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
(a) Granpa enjoys the fun of watching the hounds chase the fox and then seeing the fox outwit the hounds.
(b) Granpa enjoys hunting because it makes Little Tree laugh.
(c) Granpa enjoys hunting because it keeps him active.
(d) Granpa enjoys hunting because of the lessons he learns from it.
5. Why does the author cause Little Tree to be exposed to the Cherokee views about human nature at such an early age?
(a) To help Little Tree understand things in case Granpa and Granma die.
(b) To show Little Tree that there is more depth in Granma than there is in Granpa.
(c) He wants Little Tree to know very early about the superstitious beliefs that he should avoid.
(d) To prepare him for future events in which he will see the good and evil in human nature.
6. What is Little Tree learning from the way in which Granma and Granpa deal with any extra money that they get from the whiskey?
(a) To make a list of things to buy with extra money.
(b) To take the money to the bank.
(c) The importance of giving extra money to those who are worse off.
(d) The importance of saving extra money.
7. At the end of Chapter 1, what kind of house is Little Tree taken to by his grandparents?
(a) A bungalow.
(b) A cabin.
(c) A tepee.
(d) A cottage.
8. How is Granpa's approach to making whiskey different from that of the "city criminals" who just want to make money?
(a) Granpa only uses lye to increase the volume.
(b) Granpa only uses sugar to increase the volume.
(c) Granpa only uses water to increase the volume.
(d) Granpa puts nothing in his whiskey to increase volume while others add various substances to increase the volume.
9. How does the driver of the vehicle who takes Little Tree to his new home treat Granma and Granpa?
(a) He roughly asks for their tickets and makes fun of them when Granma counts up the money to pay.
(b) He argues with them.
(c) He welcomes them.
(d) He is friendly.
10. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
(a) That Granpa almost went to Chattanooga.
(b) The bad effects of fighting.
(c) That he has many relatives.
(d) That "kin" is all about the love and understanding between some people.
11. What two important characteristics of Granpa are revealed by the description of the fox and the hounds episode?
(a) Granpa's love for swimming and diving.
(b) Grandpa's great ability to catch foxes and control the hounds.
(c) Granpa's speed and agility.
(d) His immense respect for nature and animals and his sense of humor.
12. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
(b) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
(c) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
(d) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
13. What is the unique mark on Granpa's whiskey jar?
(a) A mark to remind him of his Scottish ancestry.
(b) A mark shaped like the fox.
(c) A mark shaped like the whiskey still.
(d) A mark shaped like a tomahawk.
14. What does Granma make for Little Tree to wear for his first walk up the trail with Granpa?
(a) A bag to take his food.
(b) Boot moccasins.
(c) A hat to protect him from the sun.
(d) A warm coat.
15. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
(a) Ol' Slipper, the fox.
(b) Ol' Slick, the fox.
(c) Ol' Runner, the fox.
(d) Ol' Trickster, the fox.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the incident with the black car, what is revealed about Granpa's attitude towards words?
2. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
3. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
4. In Chapter 7, why does Granpa say that Little Tree looks like he is becoming a man?
5. How does Granma help Little Tree to understand the relationship between nature and human development?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)