|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Granma make for Little Tree to wear for his first walk up the trail with Granpa?
(a) A bag to take his food.
(b) A hat to protect him from the sun.
(c) Boot moccasins.
(d) A warm coat.
2. What is the Hangin' Gap?
(a) The space between two streams in the mountain.
(b) The gap between the two mountains.
(c) A creek in the thin part of the trail.
(d) The place where Cherokees hang those who steal animals.
3. At the beginning of the novel, how is Little Tree taken to his new home?
(a) He goes by bus.
(b) He goes by car.
(c) He rides a bus part of the way and then walks.
(d) He walks.
4. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
(a) They roast chestnuts in the fireplace.
(b) They make rugs from the deer hide.
(c) Granma reads to Little Tree and Granpa.
(d) They go to church.
5. How does the author reveal that the policeman might be wrong to put the driver of the black car in jail?
(a) The policeman takes the visitor's word that the driver is speeding.
(b) The policeman throws the driver of the car in jail for saying he is from Chicago when the license plate says Illinois, but Chicago is in Illinois.
(c) The policeman does not read the driver his rights.
(d) The policeman does not allow the driver to explain himself properly.
6. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
(a) A dictionary because Little Tree has to learn five words every week.
(b) A bible so that Little Tree can read more about the lessons he hears at church.
(c) A special book about nature because Little Tree's grandparents want him to love nature.
(d) A book about the Cherokees so that Little Tree can learn his heritage.
7. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
(a) Family Circles.
(b) Little Tree's Education.
(c) Granpa Learns to Read.
(d) Winter Evenings at the Cabin.
8. What reasons are given in Chapter 4 for Granpa to keep the hounds?
(a) To keep away the other Cherokee.
(b) To guard the crops and cabin and to have fun fox-hunting.
(c) To protect Granma when she is alone.
(d) To keep away people from the settlement.
9. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
(a) The oppressed should surrender in order to save lives.
(b) The oppressed should fight back even if it causes more deaths.
(c) Oppressed people can remain strong and proud.
(d) The oppressed will always turn against each other in order to escape death.
10. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
(a) Ol' Slipper, the fox.
(b) Ol' Runner, the fox.
(c) Ol' Trickster, the fox.
(d) Ol' Slick, the fox.
11. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
(a) As an incident of cruelty in which the Cherokee displayed pride.
(b) As an incident of cruelty from which the Cherokee never recovered.
(c) As an incident of shame and cowardice.
(d) As an incident of fierce aggression by the Cherokee.
12. Why does Granpa pay so much attention to praising Little Tree and making him feel important?
(a) To make him grow up proud.
(b) To ensure that he will show respect to others.
(c) To prevent him from missing his parents too much.
(d) To build up his self-esteem and sense of worth in a world that does not show the Cherokee much respect.
13. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
(a) For the lessons he teaches Little Tree.
(b) For his skills at trailing animals and his sense of instinct.
(c) For his love of nature.
(d) Because he is knowledgeable about the mountains.
14. By allowing him to watch the chase, how does Granpa reinforce his earlier lessons to Little Tree about the ways of nature and animals?
(a) By telling Little Tree it is wrong to kill.
(b) By never killing the fox, which he does not need.
(c) By not allowing the hounds to kill the fox.
(d) By not allowing the fox to kill the hounds.
15. In Chapter 4, why does Little Tree feel grown-up?
(a) He is allowed to prepare the food.
(b) Granma teaches him to make his own shirt.
(c) Granpa lets him go up the trail by himself.
(d) Granma gives him a deer shirt like Granpa's to wear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
2. In Chapter 7, Little Tree's grandparents place emphasis on teaching him some more very important skills. Why do they do this?
3. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
4. How does Granpa make his living?
5. Why does Granpa object to people who age whiskey?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)