|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Little Tree learning from the way in which Granma and Granpa deal with any extra money that they get from the whiskey?
(a) To make a list of things to buy with extra money.
(b) To take the money to the bank.
(c) The importance of giving extra money to those who are worse off.
(d) The importance of saving extra money.
2. How is Granpa's approach to making whiskey different from that of the "city criminals" who just want to make money?
(a) Granpa puts nothing in his whiskey to increase volume while others add various substances to increase the volume.
(b) Granpa only uses sugar to increase the volume.
(c) Granpa only uses lye to increase the volume.
(d) Granpa only uses water to increase the volume.
3. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
(a) The oppressed should fight back even if it causes more deaths.
(b) The oppressed will always turn against each other in order to escape death.
(c) The oppressed should surrender in order to save lives.
(d) Oppressed people can remain strong and proud.
4. Why does Granma describe some people in the world as "dead"?
(a) They are only interested in oppressing others.
(b) They are cruel to women and abuse nature.
(c) They have no spirit-mind so they only see dirty if they look at a woman and they fail to see beauty in nature.
(d) They are only interested in material things.
5. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
(a) Granma reads books that Little Tree brings them from the school at the settlement.
(b) Granma buys books at the settlement store.
(c) Little Tree and Granpa collect them from the library at the settlement.
(d) Granma reads books that Little Tree brought with him from his parents' home.
6. Why is the lady in the black car frustrated by Granpa's answer?
(a) Granpa directs them toward a mountain, due west.
(b) She thinks Granpa is deaf.
(c) She thinks Granpa is being rude.
(d) She thinks Granpa is a foreigner.
7. In Chapter 10 how does the author demonstrate that Little Tree has a conscience?
(a) He tells Mr.Jenkins that one bottle of whiskey is not filled up right.
(b) He feels bad to accept candy from Mr. Jenkins just for taking up woodchips.
(c) He gives Mr. Jenkins the unopened candy he finds on the floor.
(d) He gives back coins to Granpa that he finds in the kitchen.
8. How does Granpa make his living?
(a) Selling fish at the settlement store.
(b) Selling meat at the settlement store.
(c) Making and selling whiskey.
(d) Selling crops at the settlement store.
9. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
(a) Ol' Trickster, the fox.
(b) Ol' Slick, the fox.
(c) Ol' Slipper, the fox.
(d) Ol' Runner, the fox.
10. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
(a) Granpa Learns to Read.
(b) Family Circles.
(c) Little Tree's Education.
(d) Winter Evenings at the Cabin.
11. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(b) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
(c) They use a special writing system.
(d) They use symbols on caves.
12. In Chapter 4, why does Little Tree feel grown-up?
(a) Granma teaches him to make his own shirt.
(b) He is allowed to prepare the food.
(c) Granma gives him a deer shirt like Granpa's to wear.
(d) Granpa lets him go up the trail by himself.
13. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
(a) A man who gives them a car ride from the settlement.
(b) The man at the settlement who pulls teeth.
(c) The librarian.
(d) The owner of the supply store at the settlement.
14. Which of the following best describes the main theme of Chapter 2?
(a) How animals survive in the wild.
(b) A young boy learns to survive in the mountains.
(c) Granpa shares his knowledge about hunting.
(d) A young boy learns to appreciate nature.
15. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
(a) That Granpa knows the trail very well.
(b) That Granpa has a natural ability to understand what is going on among the animals during the chase.
(c) That Granpa has common sense.
(d) That Granpa is able to smell the animals from far away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
2. At the end of Chapter 1, what kind of house is Little Tree taken to by his grandparents?
3. In Little Tree's new home, what is the "dogtrot"?
4. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
5. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)