|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Granma, what happens to people who use the body-living mind for greedy purposes?
(a) They are the ones who acquire wealth and power.
(b) They suffer because they have no spirit of generosity.
(c) They suffer because other people hate their prosperity.
(d) The spirit-mind shrinks and in rebirth, the child is born with a small spirit-mind that could eventually disappear and be completely lost.
2. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
(a) Granpa enjoys hunting because it makes Little Tree laugh.
(b) Granpa enjoys the fun of watching the hounds chase the fox and then seeing the fox outwit the hounds.
(c) Granpa enjoys hunting because it keeps him active.
(d) Granpa enjoys hunting because of the lessons he learns from it.
3. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
(a) Because it will help him understand the Cherokee ways.
(b) Because without understanding his past, he will not understand his future.
(c) So he will know about his relatives.
(d) Because he will have to teach his own children about the past.
4. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
(a) Survival of the Strong.
(b) Understanding the Past.
(c) The Lost People.
5. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 4?
(a) Little Tree Takes A Fox.
(b) Granpa's Way of Hunting.
(c) The Fox outwits the Hounds.
(d) Mountain Hunting.
6. What is Little Tree planning to do with the extra coins he is keeping in his pocket from his savings?
(a) Buy candy for the sharecropper's daughter.
(b) Buy a hat for Granpa.
(c) Buy a dictionary to learn new words.
(d) Buy a candy box for Granma's Christmas present.
7. As he goes up the trail, how does Little Tree become aware of "Mon-o-lah", the earth mother?
(a) Little Tree hears the earth mother whispering in the wind.
(b) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a cave.
(c) Little Tree feels the earth mother through his special shoes.
(d) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a stream of water.
8. When Little Tree demonstrates that he has learned the lessons about nature, what name does Granpa say he would give him if he didn't have a name already?
(a) Little Bear.
(b) Little Bee.
(c) Little Cherokee.
(d) Little Hawk.
9. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
(a) He keeps most of it and sells the rest to the store.
(b) He sells nine gallons to a store and keeps two gallons for use at home.
(c) He gives away half and sells half.
(d) He sells most of it, keeps some, and gives away the rest.
10. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
(a) The owner of the supply store at the settlement.
(b) The man at the settlement who pulls teeth.
(c) The librarian.
(d) A man who gives them a car ride from the settlement.
11. Why is the lady in the black car frustrated by Granpa's answer?
(a) Granpa directs them toward a mountain, due west.
(b) She thinks Granpa is being rude.
(c) She thinks Granpa is deaf.
(d) She thinks Granpa is a foreigner.
12. Which of the following best describes the main theme of Chapter 2?
(a) A young boy learns to survive in the mountains.
(b) A young boy learns to appreciate nature.
(c) How animals survive in the wild.
(d) Granpa shares his knowledge about hunting.
13. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
(b) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
(c) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
(d) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
14. At the end of Chapter 2, how does Little Tree feel?
(b) Satisfaction about being grown up.
(c) Sympathy for the small animals.
15. Little Tree's bed is made of what material?
(a) Deer hide stretched on a frame of hickory posts.
(b) Old cloths stuffed in a large bag.
(c) A large flat board covered with sheets.
(d) Dried grass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson does the author teach the reader in Chapter 6, based on how the Indians responded to the oppression by the soldiers?
2. At the end of Chapter 1, what kind of house is Little Tree taken to by his grandparents?
3. In Chapter 10 how does the author demonstrate that Little Tree has a conscience?
4. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
5. What is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns from the stories heard in Chapter 5?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)