|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
(a) The owner of the supply store at the settlement.
(b) The librarian.
(c) A man who gives them a car ride from the settlement.
(d) The man at the settlement who pulls teeth.
2. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
(a) He gives away half and sells half.
(b) He sells nine gallons to a store and keeps two gallons for use at home.
(c) He sells most of it, keeps some, and gives away the rest.
(d) He keeps most of it and sells the rest to the store.
3. What does the visitor in Chapter 7 do at dinner that tempts Little Tree to forget one of his lessons about taking things?
(a) He tells Little Tree he can have one of the corns, and Little Tree is tempted to take the biggest one.
(b) He wears bright yellow high-top shoes that Little Tree secretly craves.
(c) He takes three slices of Granma's sweet potato pie, and Little Tree silently craves the last slice.
(d) He brings only three small corns so Little Tree has to do without.
4. What does Little Tree find interesting that makes him watch the umbrella spider for hours?
(a) How the spider crawls back to the same place repeatedly.
(b) How the spider climbs out of the water.
(c) How persistent the spider is in building a wide web across ferns, even though it keeps falling into the water.
(d) How the spider outwits and eats several flies.
5. What is Little Tree learning from the way in which Granma and Granpa deal with any extra money that they get from the whiskey?
(a) To take the money to the bank.
(b) The importance of saving extra money.
(c) To make a list of things to buy with extra money.
(d) The importance of giving extra money to those who are worse off.
6. How does Little Tree's innocence and trust lead him to lose his money?
(a) The sharecropper pleads with him to give his daughter some money.
(b) The preacher encourages him to throw his extra money in the collection plate for the poor.
(c) A calf owner convinces him to buy a sick calf that soon dies.
(d) Pine Billy encourages him to use the money in a scheme to make more money.
7. What is Little Tree planning to do with the extra coins he is keeping in his pocket from his savings?
(a) Buy a candy box for Granma's Christmas present.
(b) Buy a hat for Granpa.
(c) Buy candy for the sharecropper's daughter.
(d) Buy a dictionary to learn new words.
8. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
(a) They roast chestnuts in the fireplace.
(b) They make rugs from the deer hide.
(c) They go to church.
(d) Granma reads to Little Tree and Granpa.
9. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
(a) Granma sings him a song that makes him understand his new name.
(b) A good supper.
(c) He holds a gift from his mother as he goes to sleep.
(d) Granma and Granpa promise to take care of him.
10. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
(a) The weather.
(b) The cost of a nickel to fill the coal oil lamp.
(c) The time when they go to bed.
(d) The time when the sun sets.
11. In Chapter 4, why does Little Tree feel grown-up?
(a) He is allowed to prepare the food.
(b) Granpa lets him go up the trail by himself.
(c) Granma teaches him to make his own shirt.
(d) Granma gives him a deer shirt like Granpa's to wear.
12. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
(a) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause jealousy.
(b) Granpa teaches Little Tree that people who store and take more than their share contribute to wars, land-grabbing and changing nature's ways.
(c) Granpa says that people who take more than their share do better than others.
(d) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause others to starve.
13. What is Little Tree's responsibility in producing the whiskey?
(a) He helps to stir and clean the pot.
(b) He helps to bottle the whiskey.
(c) He helps to carry the whiskey to the store.
(d) He helps to pour the sugar in the whiskey.
14. According to Granpa's joke, why is Ti-bi robbed by the bear, the coon and the Cherokee?
(a) Because he leaves his surroundings unprotected.
(b) For taking more than he needs from nature.
(c) Because he eats too much and falls asleep.
(d) Because he does not watch out for the hawk.
15. Whose scent does Granpa expect the hounds to pick up to start the hunt in Chapter 4?
(a) Ol' Slipper, the fox.
(b) Ol' Slick, the fox.
(c) Ol' Trickster, the fox.
(d) Ol' Runner, the fox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Trail of Tears?
2. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
3. How does Granpa make his living?
4. How is the reader made aware that Pa eventually gets very close to the Indians?
5. How does Granpa's disposal of the whiskey demonstrate that he is observing the lessons he teaches Little Tree about nature's ways?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)