Short Answer Key
Chapter 1, "Little Tree"
1. How old is Little Tree when the novel begins?
Five years old.
2. In Chapter 2, who has just died when Little Tree's relatives argue about where he should live?
Little Tree's mother.
3. At the beginning of the novel, how is Little Tree taken to his new home?
He rides a bus part of the way and then walks.
4. How does the driver of the vehicle who takes Little Tree to his new home treat Granma and Granpa?
He roughly asks for their tickets and makes fun of them when Granma counts up the money to pay.
5. At the end of Chapter 1, what kind of house is Little Tree taken to by his grandparents?
6. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
To foreshadow more serious instances of racism...
This section contains 5,210 words|
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)