|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, "A Night on the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Little Tree find interesting that makes him watch the umbrella spider for hours?
(a) How the spider crawls back to the same place repeatedly.
(b) How the spider outwits and eats several flies.
(c) How persistent the spider is in building a wide web across ferns, even though it keeps falling into the water.
(d) How the spider climbs out of the water.
2. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
(b) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
(c) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
(d) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
3. What is the importance of the way Chapter 12 ends?
(a) To demonstrate that the Cherokee way of life has serious dangers.
(b) To demonstrate how grave danger has cemented the bonds among the members of the family.
(c) To demonstrate that time is running out for the family.
(d) To demonstrate that everyone in the family has an important role.
4. Why is it important for the author to reveal that Granpa and Granma have friends who visit them?
(a) To make it clear that everyone is not racially prejudiced.
(b) To make it clear that Little Tree's grandparents are not bringing him up in a way that isolates him from other people.
(c) To make it clear that Little Tree is kept away from adults who are not Cherokee.
(d) To make it clear that Little Tree is being protected.
5. In Chapter 1, what does Little Tree's description of the woods around his new home reveal about his attitude to the surroundings?
(a) He finds the surroundings strange.
(b) He is longing for his old surroundings.
(c) He hates the sound of the wind but he likes the whispering wind.
(d) The sights and sounds terrify him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, who has just died when Little Tree's relatives argue about where he should live?
2. What two important characteristics of Granpa are revealed by the description of the fox and the hounds episode?
3. In his reaction to this visitor, what characteristics does Little Tree display that he will have to overcome in order to avoid difficulties with some people outside his family?
4. How is this visitor in Chapter 7 hoping to become rich?
5. When Little Tree demonstrates that he has learned the lessons about nature, what name does Granpa say he would give him if he didn't have a name already?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)