|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, "A Night on the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who guides the family when it comes to books, decisions and words?
(a) The librarian.
2. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
(a) The author contrasts the plow with the fast black car driven by the visitor.
(b) The author describes the mountain and then changes the setting to the busy square at the settlement.
(c) The author describes the routine, laborious work on the land and later shows readers a colorful visitor talking about cars, criminals and money-making schemes.
(d) The author brings the excited policeman dressed in his city clothes into the cabin where everyone is calm and dressed in traditional clothes.
3. What would be the most appropriate alternate title for Chapter 5?
(a) Differences in Culture.
(b) A Visit to the Settlement.
(c) Little Tree Learns of Chattanooga.
(d) The Big Black Car.
4. Who is Smokehouse and what role does he play in Chapter 7?
(a) The partner who works with the visitor to write the entry for the competition.
(b) A half-Cherokee who burns wood for the coal oil lamp.
(c) The policeman who investigates the claim made by the visitor about an alleged criminal.
(d) The friend who gives the visitor a ride to the cabin.
5. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
(a) Granma buys books at the settlement store.
(b) Little Tree and Granpa collect them from the library at the settlement.
(c) Granma reads books that Little Tree brought with him from his parents' home.
(d) Granma reads books that Little Tree brings them from the school at the settlement.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
2. According to his grandparents, why is it important for Little Tree to learn about his past?
3. What is Granpa's reason for taking Little Tree on this walk up the trail?
4. In Chapter 10 how does the author demonstrate that Little Tree has a conscience?
5. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)