|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, "A Night on the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From the incident with the black car, what is revealed about Granpa's attitude towards words?
(a) Granpa is eager to learn new words.
(b) Granpa thinks there are too many words and he prefers the sound of speech rather than the words used.
(c) Granpa finds words helpful in understanding other people.
(d) Granpa wants Little Tree to learn many new words.
2. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
(b) They use a special writing system.
(c) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(d) They use symbols on caves.
3. What do Little Tree and the sharecropper's daughter have in common?
(a) Both are exposed to the challenges of being young in an adult world.
(b) Both are being deprived of education.
(c) Both are poor.
(d) Both live off the land and have a strong sense of pride.
4. How does Granpa dispose of the whiskey he makes?
(a) He sells nine gallons to a store and keeps two gallons for use at home.
(b) He sells most of it, keeps some, and gives away the rest.
(c) He keeps most of it and sells the rest to the store.
(d) He gives away half and sells half.
5. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
(a) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause jealousy.
(b) Granpa teaches Little Tree that people who store and take more than their share contribute to wars, land-grabbing and changing nature's ways.
(c) Granpa says that people who take more than their share do better than others.
(d) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause others to starve.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best explanation for the author's inclusion of Granpa's story about the "Farm in the Clearing" in the novel?
2. Why does Granpa pay so much attention to praising Little Tree and making him feel important?
3. In Little Tree's new home, what is the "dogtrot"?
4. What is Little Tree especially proud of in Chapter 9?
5. At the beginning of the chapter "The Farm in the Clearing", what inhuman scene does Granpa describe to Little Tree?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)