|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, "A Night on the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Little Tree especially proud of in Chapter 9?
(a) That he knows how to calculate the money from the whiskey.
(b) That he is helping to take care of Granpa and Granma.
(c) That he owns fifty percent of the stake in the whiskey business.
(d) That he can contribute to making his own living.
2. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
(b) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
(c) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
(d) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
3. In Chapter 6, the author reveals that Pa becomes a warrior late in his life. For whom does he fight?
(a) He fights for the government against foreigners.
(b) He fights for the Scottish army against the Americans.
(c) He fights for the Indians against the soldiers.
(d) He fights for the Confederates against the government.
4. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
(a) A tax on Cherokee lands.
(b) A tax on whiskey.
(c) A law to send all Cherokee children to orphanages for proper education.
(d) A law to force Cherokees to live in modern houses.
5. In his reaction to this visitor, what characteristics does Little Tree display that he will have to overcome in order to avoid difficulties with some people outside his family?
(a) Little Tree does not pay close attention when others are speaking.
(b) Little Tree is gullible and trusting.
(c) Little Tree is tempted to take more food than he should.
(d) Little Tree is afraid to trust others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the reader deduce about the author's intention in describing Cherokee beliefs and values in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 7, Little Tree's grandparents place emphasis on teaching him some more very important skills. Why do they do this?
3. Why does the author show that important lessons for Little Tree come from Granma and not Granpa?
4. Why doesn't Granma scold Little Tree for getting wet in the woods?
5. Which book is always available at Little Tree's cabin and why?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)