|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, "A Night on the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Granma, what happens to people who use the body-living mind for greedy purposes?
(a) They suffer because they have no spirit of generosity.
(b) They suffer because other people hate their prosperity.
(c) The spirit-mind shrinks and in rebirth, the child is born with a small spirit-mind that could eventually disappear and be completely lost.
(d) They are the ones who acquire wealth and power.
2. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
(a) Granma reads to Little Tree and Granpa.
(b) They roast chestnuts in the fireplace.
(c) They make rugs from the deer hide.
(d) They go to church.
3. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
(a) He believes the preacher's sermon is against him.
(b) He has lost his home and family.
(c) The people in the church have been saying bad things about him.
(d) Because having fought battles all his life and lost everything, he has nothing more to fight about.
4. According to Granpa's story about the farm, who was in charge of the land when Granpa was growing up?
(a) The Cherokees were in charge of the land.
(b) The Confederates were in charge of the land.
(c) Granpa's family had the run of the land.
(d) The land was occupied by Union soldiers and run by politicians.
5. Who guides the family when it comes to books, decisions and words?
(d) The librarian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two important characteristics of Granpa are revealed by the description of the fox and the hounds episode?
2. Why is there some truth in Granpa's belief that the way people sound when they talk can be more important than the words they use?
3. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
4. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
5. How does Granpa help Little Tree overcome feeling empty and sad after Ringer's death?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)