|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, "A Night on the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the meaning of the red flag planted on the land by the regulators?
(a) It means the occupants have been taken to jail.
(b) It means the occupants cannot pay the taxes on the land.
(c) It means blood has been shed during fighting on the land.
(d) It means that the government has evicted squatters from the land.
2. Who is Smokehouse and what role does he play in Chapter 7?
(a) The partner who works with the visitor to write the entry for the competition.
(b) A half-Cherokee who burns wood for the coal oil lamp.
(c) The policeman who investigates the claim made by the visitor about an alleged criminal.
(d) The friend who gives the visitor a ride to the cabin.
3. In the incident when Granpa sees the old farmhouse in the clearing, why is Granpa surprised by the soldier's treatment of the people on the farm when he returns there later?
(a) Granpa expects the soldiers to harm them but they actually bring them a mule.
(b) Granpa expects the soldiers to throw them off the land but they tie them up in the barn.
(c) Granpa expects the soldiers to help the people but they actually attack them with guns .
(d) Granpa expects the soldiers to stop them from plowing but they charge them taxes.
4. Why does Granma describe some people in the world as "dead"?
(a) They are only interested in oppressing others.
(b) They have no spirit-mind so they only see dirty if they look at a woman and they fail to see beauty in nature.
(c) They are cruel to women and abuse nature.
(d) They are only interested in material things.
5. How does the author reveal that the policeman might be wrong to put the driver of the black car in jail?
(a) The policeman does not read the driver his rights.
(b) The policeman takes the visitor's word that the driver is speeding.
(c) The policeman throws the driver of the car in jail for saying he is from Chicago when the license plate says Illinois, but Chicago is in Illinois.
(d) The policeman does not allow the driver to explain himself properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
2. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
3. Why does the author cause Little Tree to be exposed to the Cherokee views about human nature at such an early age?
4. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
5. When Little Tree demonstrates that he has learned the lessons about nature, what name does Granpa say he would give him if he didn't have a name already?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)