|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, "A Night on the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Little Tree's grandparents place emphasis on teaching him some more very important skills. Why do they do this?
(a) They want to make sure he will be a good father.
(b) They are making sure that Little Tree learns enough to be self-sufficient off the land.
(c) They want to make sure he learns about his tribe's habits.
(d) They want to make sure he will be able to take care of them soon.
2. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
(a) The librarian.
(b) The owner of the supply store at the settlement.
(c) A man who gives them a car ride from the settlement.
(d) The man at the settlement who pulls teeth.
3. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
(b) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
(c) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
(d) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
4. How does Granma respond when Little Tree gives her musk bugs?
(a) She calls Granpa to complain about what Little Tree has done.
(b) She praises Little Tree for spreading good by sharing whatever good one finds.
(c) She gathers them in a bottle to make the cabin smell good.
(d) She is frightened and asks him to take them away.
5. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
(a) Because it's the only time it happens.
(b) Because the Cherokees constantly practice racism.
(c) To foreshadow more serious instances of racism that will occur later.
(d) Because Little Tree's family are freedom fighters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, who has just died when Little Tree's relatives argue about where he should live?
2. What does the woman in the black car ask when she stops Little Tree and Granpa on their way back from the settlement?
3. What does the incident between Little Tree and the lawmen on the mountain demonstrate about Little Tree?
4. How does Granpa help Little Tree overcome feeling empty and sad after Ringer's death?
5. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)