|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, "A Night on the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) They use symbols on caves.
(b) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
(c) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
(d) They use a special writing system.
2. When the soldiers drive the Cherokee from their land, how do the Cherokee show their pride?
(a) They sing brave songs on the journey.
(b) They fight back and repel the soldiers.
(c) They look straight ahead as they march and refuse rides in the soldiers' wagons.
(d) They plant their nation's flag where every Cherokee is buried.
3. What dangerous adventure gives Chapter 12 its title?
(a) Little Tree is bitten by a bear.
(b) Granpa is bitten by a bear.
(c) Granpa is bitten by a rattlesnake from which he rescues Little Tree.
(d) Little Tree is bitten by a rattlesnake.
4. How does Granma help Little Tree to understand the relationship between nature and human development?
(a) Granma explains that Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter are the periods of spiritual growth in a person's life.
(b) Granma explains that the seasons are times when humans should learn from nature how to improve.
(c) Granma explains that Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter are periods in nature just as birth, adulthood, ageing and death are phases in human life.
(d) Granma explains that Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter are like childhood, adolescence and maturity in humans.
5. Which of the following is the best alternate title for Chapter 6?
(a) Survival of the Strong.
(b) Understanding the Past.
(d) The Lost People.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Little Tree's new home, what is the "dogtrot"?
2. What is the mode of narration used by the author to tell the story?
3. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
4. What reason does Granpa suggest as the only logical explanation for this law of George Washington's that makes him so angry?
5. In Chapter 2, what is the most important lesson that Little Tree learns about nature?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)