|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "Shadows on a Cabin Wall".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, who has just died when Little Tree's relatives argue about where he should live?
(a) Willow John.
(b) Red Wing.
(c) Little Tree's mother.
2. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
(a) The time when the sun sets.
(b) The weather.
(c) The time when they go to bed.
(d) The cost of a nickel to fill the coal oil lamp.
3. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
(a) Chasing ground rats.
(b) Climbing trees.
(c) Swooping down to kill a quail.
(d) Setting a trap for turkeys.
4. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
(a) Because the Cherokees constantly practice racism.
(b) Because it's the only time it happens.
(c) To foreshadow more serious instances of racism that will occur later.
(d) Because Little Tree's family are freedom fighters.
5. What is Granpa's reason for taking Little Tree on this walk up the trail?
(a) To show him the bees at work.
(b) To teach him how to hunt.
(c) To show him the way up to the mountains so he can see the sunrise.
(d) To expose him to the animals and teach him "The Way".
Short Answer Questions
1. When Little Tree demonstrates that he has learned the lessons about nature, what name does Granpa say he would give him if he didn't have a name already?
2. In Little Tree's new home, what is the "dogtrot"?
3. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
4. How old is Little Tree when the novel begins?
5. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)