|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "Shadows on a Cabin Wall".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mode of narration used by the author to tell the story?
(a) The author uses first person from a child's perspective.
(b) The author uses a third person narrator who is not in the story.
(c) The author is the narrator and knows everything.
(d) The author uses a second person point of view.
2. Who does Granpa ask about the law that made him angry?
(a) A man who gives them a car ride from the settlement.
(b) The man at the settlement who pulls teeth.
(c) The owner of the supply store at the settlement.
(d) The librarian.
3. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
(a) A law to force Cherokees to live in modern houses.
(b) A tax on Cherokee lands.
(c) A law to send all Cherokee children to orphanages for proper education.
(d) A tax on whiskey.
4. What is Granpa's reason for taking Little Tree on this walk up the trail?
(a) To show him the way up to the mountains so he can see the sunrise.
(b) To expose him to the animals and teach him "The Way".
(c) To teach him how to hunt.
(d) To show him the bees at work.
5. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
(a) Granpa teaches Little Tree that people who store and take more than their share contribute to wars, land-grabbing and changing nature's ways.
(b) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause jealousy.
(c) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause others to starve.
(d) Granpa says that people who take more than their share do better than others.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Little Tree demonstrates that he has learned the lessons about nature, what name does Granpa say he would give him if he didn't have a name already?
2. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 2, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he has learned Granpa's lesson about nature's ways?
4. Which books are Granma's favorites to read?
5. Which of the following best describes the theme of the opening chapter?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)