|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "Shadows on a Cabin Wall".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What helps to determine whether Granpa and Granma light the coal oil lamp in the evenings during winter?
(a) The time when they go to bed.
(b) The cost of a nickel to fill the coal oil lamp.
(c) The weather.
(d) The time when the sun sets.
2. What reason does Granpa suggest as the only logical explanation for this law of George Washington's that makes him so angry?
(a) Washington hates Cherokees.
(b) Washington is a thief.
(c) Washington got a blow in the head.
(d) Washington hates children.
3. How does the driver of the vehicle who takes Little Tree to his new home treat Granma and Granpa?
(a) He roughly asks for their tickets and makes fun of them when Granma counts up the money to pay.
(b) He welcomes them.
(c) He argues with them.
(d) He is friendly.
4. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
(a) A law to force Cherokees to live in modern houses.
(b) A law to send all Cherokee children to orphanages for proper education.
(c) A tax on Cherokee lands.
(d) A tax on whiskey.
5. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
(a) Climbing trees.
(b) Chasing ground rats.
(c) Swooping down to kill a quail.
(d) Setting a trap for turkeys.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Little Tree when the novel begins?
2. Which of the following best describes the theme of the opening chapter?
3. In the early chapters of the book, what kind of education is Little Tree receiving from his grandparents?
4. What makes Little Tree go to bed feeling happier in spite of his loss in Chapter 1?
5. Little Tree's bed is made of what material?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)