|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "Shadows on a Cabin Wall".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Granma accidentally reads about a law introduced by George Washington and this gets Granpa very angry. What law is this?
(a) A tax on Cherokee lands.
(b) A law to send all Cherokee children to orphanages for proper education.
(c) A law to force Cherokees to live in modern houses.
(d) A tax on whiskey.
2. What reason does Granpa suggest as the only logical explanation for this law of George Washington's that makes him so angry?
(a) Washington hates Cherokees.
(b) Washington hates children.
(c) Washington is a thief.
(d) Washington got a blow in the head.
3. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
(a) They roast chestnuts in the fireplace.
(b) They go to church.
(c) They make rugs from the deer hide.
(d) Granma reads to Little Tree and Granpa.
4. What is the mode of narration used by the author to tell the story?
(a) The author uses a third person narrator who is not in the story.
(b) The author is the narrator and knows everything.
(c) The author uses a second person point of view.
(d) The author uses first person from a child's perspective.
5. Which of the following best describes the theme of the opening chapter?
(a) Growing up.
(b) Loss and and a new beginning.
(c) Family relationships.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, who has just died when Little Tree's relatives argue about where he should live?
2. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
3. According to Granpa's joke, why is Ti-bi robbed by the bear, the coon and the Cherokee?
4. At the beginning of the novel, how is Little Tree taken to his new home?
5. When Little Tree demonstrates that he has learned the lessons about nature, what name does Granpa say he would give him if he didn't have a name already?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)