|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "Shadows on a Cabin Wall".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 1, what kind of house is Little Tree taken to by his grandparents?
(a) A cottage.
(b) A tepee.
(c) A cabin.
(d) A bungalow.
2. Little Tree's bed is made of what material?
(a) Old cloths stuffed in a large bag.
(b) A large flat board covered with sheets.
(c) Deer hide stretched on a frame of hickory posts.
(d) Dried grass.
3. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
(a) Granma buys books at the settlement store.
(b) Granma reads books that Little Tree brings them from the school at the settlement.
(c) Granma reads books that Little Tree brought with him from his parents' home.
(d) Little Tree and Granpa collect them from the library at the settlement.
4. What is Granpa's reason for taking Little Tree on this walk up the trail?
(a) To expose him to the animals and teach him "The Way".
(b) To teach him how to hunt.
(c) To show him the bees at work.
(d) To show him the way up to the mountains so he can see the sunrise.
5. Why does the author provide signs of racism in this first chapter of the book?
(a) Because the Cherokees constantly practice racism.
(b) Because it's the only time it happens.
(c) To foreshadow more serious instances of racism that will occur later.
(d) Because Little Tree's family are freedom fighters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
2. In what special activity do Little Tree and his grandparents participate on weekend evenings during the winter?
3. In Little Tree's new home, what is the "dogtrot"?
4. What is the mode of narration used by the author to tell the story?
5. In Chapter 2, who has just died when Little Tree's relatives argue about where he should live?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)