Eight Week Quiz E
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, "A Night on the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
(a) The author brings the excited policeman dressed in his city clothes into the cabin where everyone is calm and dressed in traditional clothes.
(b) The author contrasts the plow with the fast black car driven by the visitor.
(c) The author describes the routine, laborious work on the land and later shows readers a colorful visitor talking about cars, criminals and money-making schemes.
(d) The author describes the mountain and then changes the setting to the busy square at the settlement.
2. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
(a) Family Circles.
(b) Granpa Learns to Read.
(c) Little Tree's Education.
(d) Winter Evenings at the Cabin.
3. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
(a) The sharecropper forbids his daughter to speak to Little Tree.
(b) The sharecropper whips his daughter's legs and tells her to give back the moccasins Little Tree gives to her.
(c) The sharecropper tells Granpa to keep his grandson away from his daughter.
(d) The sharecropper chastises his daughter for talking to Little Tree.
4. How do the Cherokee who escape from the soldiers into the hollows survive?
(a) They live off fishing, wild game and sweet root and stay as silent as they can to avoid detection.
(b) They live in caves and survive by fishing in the nearby creek.
(c) They journey to the neighboring village and set up a camp.
(d) They hide on the other side of the mountain and survive by hunting deer.
5. In what two ways does the author introduce humor in the incident with the two men from Chattanooga?
(a) By describing how Little Tree sets the hounds on them and they are chased into the freezing river.
(b) By describing how the men fall into poison ivy and how Granma cooks them fish with roots that cause diarrhea.
(c) By describing how Granpa leads them to the edge of the cliff and taunts them until they beg for forgiveness.
(d) By describing how Little Tree outwits them and sends them running from the hounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Granpa want Little Tree to learn his trade when he is only six-years-old?
2. Which of the following best describes the theme of the opening chapter?
3. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
4. In Chapter 7, Little Tree's grandparents place emphasis on teaching him some more very important skills. Why do they do this?
5. Why is the lady in the black car frustrated by Granpa's answer?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)