|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, "The Secret Place".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Granpa's story, why did his father's friend enter the church with a pistol?
(a) He believes the preacher's sermon is against him.
(b) He has lost his home and family.
(c) The people in the church have been saying bad things about him.
(d) Because having fought battles all his life and lost everything, he has nothing more to fight about.
2. According to Granpa's joke, why is Ti-bi robbed by the bear, the coon and the Cherokee?
(a) Because he does not watch out for the hawk.
(b) For taking more than he needs from nature.
(c) Because he leaves his surroundings unprotected.
(d) Because he eats too much and falls asleep.
3. How does the author use contrast to show different lifestyles and characters in Chapter 7?
(a) The author brings the excited policeman dressed in his city clothes into the cabin where everyone is calm and dressed in traditional clothes.
(b) The author describes the mountain and then changes the setting to the busy square at the settlement.
(c) The author describes the routine, laborious work on the land and later shows readers a colorful visitor talking about cars, criminals and money-making schemes.
(d) The author contrasts the plow with the fast black car driven by the visitor.
4. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
(a) Granpa enjoys the fun of watching the hounds chase the fox and then seeing the fox outwit the hounds.
(b) Granpa enjoys hunting because of the lessons he learns from it.
(c) Granpa enjoys hunting because it keeps him active.
(d) Granpa enjoys hunting because it makes Little Tree laugh.
5. Which three people does Little Tree learn about from Granpa's stories in Chapter 5?
(a) Uncle Coon, Papa Jack and Pa.
(b) Jack, Papa and Uncle.
(c) An uncle who gets in trouble with women, granpa's pa and Coon Jack.
(d) Uncle, Pa and Bonnie Bee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
2. Little Tree's bed is made of what material?
3. What does Little Tree mean when he says that Granpa has a "sense of instinct"?
4. What does the woman in the black car ask when she stops Little Tree and Granpa on their way back from the settlement?
5. What reason does Granpa suggest as the only logical explanation for this law of George Washington's that makes him so angry?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)