|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "To Know The Past".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Granpa from his reaction to the lady in the black car who is rude to him?
(a) He does not understand insults.
(b) He is afraid of people who insult others.
(c) He is able to maintain his dignity even when treated badly.
(d) He has a very bad temper.
2. What is the Trail of Tears?
(a) The journey made by Cherokee each year to commemorate the loss of their nation.
(b) The path up the mountain where Cherokee go to mourn their dead.
(c) The journey made by the Cherokee Nation when army soldiers force them to move to new lands.
(d) The journey towards the burial ground of the Cherokee.
3. Which of the following best describes the main theme of Chapter 2?
(a) A young boy learns to appreciate nature.
(b) Granpa shares his knowledge about hunting.
(c) A young boy learns to survive in the mountains.
(d) How animals survive in the wild.
4. Which of the following would be the best alternate title for Chapter 3?
(a) Little Tree's Education.
(b) Granpa Learns to Read.
(c) Winter Evenings at the Cabin.
(d) Family Circles.
5. How do Granma and Granpa portray the 'Trail of Tears' for Little Tree?
(a) As an incident of shame and cowardice.
(b) As an incident of cruelty from which the Cherokee never recovered.
(c) As an incident of cruelty in which the Cherokee displayed pride.
(d) As an incident of fierce aggression by the Cherokee.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how does the author explain that Pa knows Indians are around?
2. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
3. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
4. Why does Granpa enjoy hunting even though he has never killed a fox in his life?
5. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)