|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "To Know The Past".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Little Tree's grandparents reveal about the Cherokee style of passing on information and lessons from one generation to the other?
(a) There is no writing system so valuable information is lost.
(b) They use a special writing system.
(c) They use symbols on caves.
(d) They use the oral tradition in which stories are used to pass on information.
2. Why does Little Tree set the coal oil can down when the lady in the black car speaks to them?
(a) Because it is getting heavy.
(b) Because it is beginning to spill oil.
(c) Because Granpa teaches him that when spoken to, he should give full attention out of respect.
(d) To avoid the smell.
3. How does Granpa help Little Tree relate the lessons about nature to the behavior of some people?
(a) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause jealousy.
(b) Granpa says that people who take more than their share do better than others.
(c) Granpa says that people who take more than their share cause others to starve.
(d) Granpa teaches Little Tree that people who store and take more than their share contribute to wars, land-grabbing and changing nature's ways.
4. As he goes up the trail, how does Little Tree become aware of "Mon-o-lah", the earth mother?
(a) Little Tree feels the earth mother through his special shoes.
(b) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a cave.
(c) Little Tree sees the earth mother in a stream of water.
(d) Little Tree hears the earth mother whispering in the wind.
5. Where does Granma get books to read to Little Tree and Granpa?
(a) Little Tree and Granpa collect them from the library at the settlement.
(b) Granma reads books that Little Tree brought with him from his parents' home.
(c) Granma reads books that Little Tree brings them from the school at the settlement.
(d) Granma buys books at the settlement store.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how does Little Tree demonstrate that he has learned Granpa's lesson about nature's ways?
2. What does Little Tree learn about Granpa when he hears him say "I kin ye Bonnie Bee"?
3. In the mountains in Chapter 2, what does Little Tree see Tal-con doing?
4. According to Little Tree, why do the white mountain men in the area respect Granpa?
5. In the narration, Little Tree says he discovers later on that Granma only read some parts of the stories about George Washington. What reason does Little Tree suggest for this?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)