|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, "Down From the Mountain".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Little Tree's responsibility in producing the whiskey?
(a) He helps to stir and clean the pot.
(b) He helps to bottle the whiskey.
(c) He helps to pour the sugar in the whiskey.
(d) He helps to carry the whiskey to the store.
2. In the early chapters of the book, what kind of education is Little Tree receiving from his grandparents?
(a) An education that is limited to the Cherokee way of life.
(b) An education about becoming a hunter.
(c) An education about responsibility.
(d) A varied and practical education.
3. What is unusual about the type of church that Little Tree's family attends?
(a) The church only allows Cherokee to sit at the back.
(b) It is the only church so it services various faiths, including Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Church of Christ.
(c) It is the only church so the preacher uses many different languages.
(d) The church is only open for services once per month.
4. In Chapter 7, why does Granpa say that Little Tree looks like he is becoming a man?
(a) He shows that he understands Granma's lessons about herbs.
(b) He is learning to farm and to plow although the work is difficult.
(c) He is learning to cook with Granma's herbs.
(d) He begins to go out to the distant lands by himself.
5. Which two incidents destroy Granpa's hope of being able to keep Little Tree?
(a) Mr. Taylor refuses to help Granpa, and Willow John dies so he cannot be a witness.
(b) Mr. Wine's death means he cannot testify to Little Tree's education, and Mr. Taylor, the lawyer says he can't help Granpa.
(c) Pine Billy refuses to testify and Little Tree accidentally reveals he has been making whiskey.
(d) Mr. Jenkins refuses to lend Granpa the money for the lawyer, and Granma says she agrees that Little Tree should go.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author demonstrate that despite being poor, the sharecropper is instilling pride in his daughter?
2. At the end of Chapter 2, how does Little Tree feel?
3. How is this visitor in Chapter 7 hoping to become rich?
4. Who is Smokehouse and what role does he play in Chapter 7?
5. What does the reader learn about Granpa from his reaction to the lady in the black car who is rude to him?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)