Chapter 1, "Little Tree"
• The mother of Little Tree (a five-year old boy) dies a year after his father's death.
• His relatives discuss his future and decide that he must live with his grandparents.
• Granma and Granpa take Little Tree by bus on a long journey.
• On the bus, people laugh at Little Tree and his grandparents because of their Cherokee heritage.
• After the bus ride, Little Tree, Granma and Granpa walk a long way up the mountain to their cabin.
• Granma comforts Little Tree with a song and he goes to sleep feeling happy .
Chapter 2, "The Way"
• Granma makes Little Tree his first boot moccasins and he wears them out for a walk with Granpa.
• Through his moccasins, Little Tree feels the spirit of Mon-o-lah, the earth mother.
• Little Tree sees the sunrise and helps Granpa to set a turkey trap.
• They watch the hawk, Tal-con, kill a...
This section contains 3,295 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)