|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the children in Tara's family not go to the doctor?
2. What religion did Tara grow up in?
3. Which jobs did Tara's father and brothers do?
4. Why was Tara's mother drawn to the basement?
5. Which of Tara's siblings had attended formal schooling together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tara's father put the whole family in danger when they drove home from Arizona?
2. What safety measures did Tara's father strip from her?
3. Why was Tara's grandma-over-in-town deemed unmarriageable when she was young?
4. How did Tara get injured in Chapter Seven?
5. What did Tara worry would happen if she left the mountain?
6. Why did Tara have trouble trusting her mother?
7. What was Tara's father's relationship with his mother?
8. Why did Tara choose to stay home instead of go to Arizona?
9. How did Tyler behave when his father berated him for wanting an education?
10. What did Tara worry about when Tyler decided to go to college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Tara's mother and father similar in their obsessive behaviors? Relate Tara's mother's energy work to Tara's father's fervent biblical interpretations.
Essay Topic 2
Tara's mother does things in secret to aid her children, but usually crumbles when confronted by her husband. How is this dynamic confusing to the rest of the family? Is it helpful, hurtful, or both?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tara's father show that he takes no blame for his children being harmed in his care? Who does he put the blame on when accidents happen? Should he be held responsible for the injuries he has inflicted?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)