|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conditions does Reacher attach to giving Bobby breakfast?
2. When Reacher returns to the ranch, what does he tell Bobby about Billy and Josh?
3. Who is Rusty Greer?
4. What does Carmen offer to Reacher as payment for helping her out in her situation?
5. What does Carmen use as an excuse not to go with the sheriff to get Sloop out of jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. List four characteristics of Jack Reacher.
2. What are two men and a boy busily doing in Chapter 1?
3. What happens when Carmen asks Reacher to kill her husband?
4. Why does Carmen refuse to leave the ranch when Reacher again tells her?
5. What is the Longhorn Lounge, and what happens there?
6. What happens with the routine change for the watchers?
7. After the sheriff is content to let Bobby and Reacher settle things between themselves, describe the confrontation these two men have.
8. What does Reacher say when he goes out to see Bobby in the barn after showering, and what makes him change his mind about what he said?
9. What does Reacher do after arriving on the ranch?
10. What does Ellie request of Reacher at the end of Reacher's first day on the ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name one of the major themes of the novel. Explain why and how it is a major theme of the story, citing at least four examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
How does Lee Child use "fire and burning" symbolism with the Greer family farm to make a connection with the Greer family? Use four examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the watchers, and who are the assassins? Who hired these people and why? Comparing these two groups, which group do you think did the better job and why?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)