|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boys return from the expedition, what plant does Ish ask his son if he has seen?
2. How do the people decide to execute Charlie?
3. What do the members of the Tribe use for sweetener in their coffee?
4. What city did Bob and Dick finally find on their expedition?
5. What type of plant does Ish find on the university campus that is foreign, but is also reproducing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Ish's version of "civilization" didn't turn out the way he planned. Is it better that his personal vision wasn't realized, or do you think that it would have been better if he could have completely restored civilization? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the text, the author makes a point to show Ish finding places that were once inhabited by Indian tribes and other indigenous people. When Ish and Em start to mark out the time, they do it in the same place, and almost in the same fashion, as ancient peoples. How is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Ish is determined just to be the observer, someone who watches what becomes of civilization. How do you think this attitude affects the way things develop and his life in general? Do you think that he stays true to this decision throughout the entire story? Why or why not? Please supply evidence from the book for you answer.
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)