|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the result of an experiment, in what condition do a few of the younger generation, including Joey, return from a trip into the city?
2. What are the members of the community doing when Ish and the boys return from finding a vehicle for the expedition?
3. What old game do the children suddenly go crazy for?
4. What, according to one of the other children, is Joey "no good at"?
5. When Ish meets Charlie on the hill, what does Ish tell Charlie that he wants him to do?
Essay Topic 1
From Chapter Three until the first "Quick Years," Ish has a faithful companion in his dog, Princess. What is significant about Princess' arrival and departure? What does she represent to Ish? Do you think Princess is symbolic?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Ish wonders if they should have let Evie live, or if they should have killed her out of mercy, but he decides that none of the people in the tribe are qualified to make that decision. Why do you think Ish would have felt this way toward Evie, and not toward anyone else? Do you think that Ish really has Evie's best interest at heart? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the text, the author makes a point to show Ish finding places that were once inhabited by Indian tribes and other indigenous people. When Ish and Em start to mark out the time, they do it in the same place, and almost in the same fashion, as ancient peoples. How is this significant?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)