|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What structure is the community working on in order to better their lives?
2. When Ish explains the expedition route to the boys, what name do they have a hard time understanding?
3. As the result of an experiment, in what condition do a few of the younger generation, including Joey, return from a trip into the city?
4. What breakfast food is not available anymore, since the Great Disaster?
5. Who, besides Ish, keeps track of the time of the year with a calendar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Ish is determined just to be the observer, someone who watches what becomes of civilization. How do you think this attitude affects the way things develop and his life in general? Do you think that he stays true to this decision throughout the entire story? Why or why not? Please supply evidence from the book for you answer.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Ish wonders if they should have let Evie live, or if they should have killed her out of mercy, but he decides that none of the people in the tribe are qualified to make that decision. Why do you think Ish would have felt this way toward Evie, and not toward anyone else? Do you think that Ish really has Evie's best interest at heart? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the text, the author makes a point to show Ish finding places that were once inhabited by Indian tribes and other indigenous people. When Ish and Em start to mark out the time, they do it in the same place, and almost in the same fashion, as ancient peoples. How is this significant?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)