|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ish meets Charlie on the hill, what does Ish tell Charlie that he wants him to do?
2. What do some of the children bring back one day that Ish breaks with the hammer?
3. As the result of an experiment, in what condition do a few of the younger generation, including Joey, return from a trip into the city?
4. While sitting on the hill, what does Ish see that represents civilization to him?
5. What do the members of the Tribe use for sweetener in their coffee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From Chapter Three until the first "Quick Years," Ish has a faithful companion in his dog, Princess. What is significant about Princess' arrival and departure? What does she represent to Ish? Do you think Princess is symbolic?
Essay Topic 2
As the book progresses, the author puts a number of subtle hints into the text about how things are changing. For instance, at the end of the book, immediately before Ish dies, a messenger comes to report that the tribe is going to move. Why did the author choose this point in the story for the tribe to move? Do you think they only moved because of the fire? What could the events surrounding this final scene symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, there are particular characters that Ish becomes much more attached to than others. For instance, Em, Princess, and Joey seem to be the most important to Ish, though he has many more children, and at one point, another wife. Why were these characters more important to Ish than the others? What could each character possibly symbolize?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)