|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the members of the Tribe use for sweetener in their coffee?
2. What has Ish become in the eyes of the children?
3. When illness spreads through the Tribe after Charlie's death, what insect does Ish notice is still common?
4. Why do many of the people think the disease has struck the community?
5. What disease does Ish think has spread throughout the community after Charlie's death?
Essay Topic 1
When visiting the city where he meets Milt and Ann, Ish reflects that Americans think it is the center of the world. He thinks about what happened to everyone there, and to the world at large, and he thinks of the phrase, "Falls Rome, falls the world." Why do you think Ish is making a comparison between Rome and the city? What does this comparison mean?
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the text, the author makes a point to show Ish finding places that were once inhabited by Indian tribes and other indigenous people. When Ish and Em start to mark out the time, they do it in the same place, and almost in the same fashion, as ancient peoples. How is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
As the book progresses, the author puts a number of subtle hints into the text about how things are changing. For instance, at the end of the book, immediately before Ish dies, a messenger comes to report that the tribe is going to move. Why did the author choose this point in the story for the tribe to move? Do you think they only moved because of the fire? What could the events surrounding this final scene symbolize?
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)