Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of plant does Ish find on the university campus that is foreign, but is also reproducing?
2. On the expedition, how did the people in the white robes react to the boys?
3. What does Charlie do at the bonfire that makes Ish worry about him more?
4. How do the men move the wagons when they decide to travel somewhere?
5. Who keeps a house full of appliances that don't work?
Ish, as the main character, is constantly thinking about the benefits and deficiencies of the old civilization. As the story progresses, he notices how many things have changed, but not according to his plan. However, there are times he has to admit that the changes are positive. Based on Ish's thoughts and the author's italicized commentaries, do you think that the author views civilization as good, bad, or with both elements? What is your reasoning?
As the book progresses, the author puts a number of subtle hints into the text about how things are changing. For instance, at the end of the book, immediately before Ish dies, a messenger comes to report that the tribe is going to move. Why did the author choose this point in the story for the tribe to move? Do you think they only moved because of the fire? What could the events surrounding this final scene symbolize?
After the first few chapters of the book, Ish begins collecting companions. Each one interacts with, and affects, Ish in a number of different ways. What effect do the people in Ish's life have on him and his plans? What do the interactions between these people say about Ish, and how did their influences affect the outcome of the story?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)