Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Em tell Ish not to worry about before she dies?
2. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
3. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
4. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
5. When Ish decides to take a cross-country trip, what is the reason he decides to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Richard and Robert chosen for the expedition instead of the other men?
2. What is the author trying to illustrate when he shows how the young men treat Ish if he doesn't answer questions?
3. When visiting the library, what does Joey ask Ish about restoring? What does he see that causes him to ask the question?
4. How does the Tribe see Ish?
5. How is it significant that many of the people do not sleep in the same location that Ish does?
6. Who gave Isherwood his name, and why?
7. What did Ezra do to test Charlie about his vest?
8. Why hasn't Ish ever noticed how beautiful Evie is?
9. Are the other Tribe members as dedicated to education as Ish is? Why or why not?
10. Is it significant that the author shows all the dependent ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¨animals dying first? If so, how is it significant?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Ish notices that, even though the rest of the city has burned, the university library is still intact. What is the significance of the library's survival?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Ish wonders if they should have let Evie live, or if they should have killed her out of mercy, but he decides that none of the people in the tribe are qualified to make that decision. Why do you think Ish would have felt this way toward Evie, and not toward anyone else? Do you think that Ish really has Evie's best interest at heart? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the text, the author makes a point to show Ish finding places that were once inhabited by Indian tribes and other indigenous people. When Ish and Em start to mark out the time, they do it in the same place, and almost in the same fashion, as ancient peoples. How is this significant?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)