Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Em tell Ish not to worry about before she dies?
2. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
3. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
4. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
5. When Ish decides to take a cross-country trip, what is the reason he decides to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Richard and Robert chosen for the expedition instead of the other men?
2. What is the author trying to illustrate when he shows how the young men treat Ish if he doesn't answer questions?
3. When visiting the library, what does Joey ask Ish about restoring? What does he see that causes him to ask the question?
4. How does the Tribe see Ish?
5. How is it significant that many of the people do not sleep in the same location that Ish does?
6. Who gave Isherwood his name, and why?
7. What did Ezra do to test Charlie about his vest?
8. Why hasn't Ish ever noticed how beautiful Evie is?
9. Are the other Tribe members as dedicated to education as Ish is? Why or why not?
10. Is it significant that the author shows all the dependent ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¨animals dying first? If so, how is it significant?
Essay Topic 1
Based on class discussions and your own research, what factors in society might have influenced George R. Stewart to write Earth Abides? What are some basic points that the author is trying to get across? What could have prompted the author to feel the need to address a particular issue, and what are his conclusions on the issue?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Ish's version of "civilization" didn't turn out the way he planned. Is it better that his personal vision wasn't realized, or do you think that it would have been better if he could have completely restored civilization? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Ish notices that, even though the rest of the city has burned, the university library is still intact. What is the significance of the library's survival?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)