|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his way back to town after his illness, what does Ish do when he reaches Johnson's?
(a) Pumps gas and leaves payment.
(b) Looks in the window and leaves.
(c) Steals from the register.
(d) Talks to the attendant.
2. What animal does Ish see running in the highway after the virus strikes?
(a) A horse.
(b) A goat.
(c) A mountain lion.
(d) A coyote.
3. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
(a) He feels ill.
(b) He becomes lost.
(c) The car overheats.
(d) His friend wants out.
4. During the Quick Years, the community tries to start a church. From what "church" does Maurine think Ish gets his ideas?
(a) The Church of Christ.
(b) The Methodist Church.
(c) The Catholic Church.
(d) The Skeptic Church.
5. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
(a) He is physically stronger than most people.
(b) He was a boy scout.
(c) He has always preferred to do things alone.
(d) He went through survival training in Wyoming.
Short Answer Questions
1. While cruising through town, what does Ish see on the flashing neon sign that he equates to the progress and downfall of civilization?
2. In the Quick Years, which new discovery or hobby causes the children to be so delighted they name Year Ten after it?
3. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to become ill?
4. What is the name of the city where Ish ends his trip to the east?
5. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the older people treat Charlie?
2. Where did the Tribe bury Charlie?
3. Why do the young men, though they have probably suffered, have less lines in their faces than someone in the old civilization would have had?
4. Why does Em start crying when she tells Ish about her pregnancy?
5. Is the Tribe well organized? Why or why not?
6. How does Ish feel after he finally discovers what has happened to everyone?
7. Why does Ish start walking with a limp?
8. Why do Ish's feelings about the execution seem to be very different than the feelings of the others?
9. Why does Ish decide that most of the items on his original list of survival characteristics are useless?
10. Why do you think the group wouldn't allow Evie to have children?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)