|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
(a) He feels ill.
(b) He becomes lost.
(c) His friend wants out.
(d) The car overheats.
2. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
(a) A deer.
(b) A fox.
(c) A mountain lion.
(d) An elk.
3. During Ish's trip to the east, he meets a small family in Arkansas. What are they doing?
(a) Trying to start a car.
(b) Building a house.
(c) Traveling toward the coast.
(d) Raising animals and crops.
4. What event occurs during the Year of Woodcarving that has a very
negative effect on Ish?
(a) The carpenter is crushed under an uneven house.
(b) His favorite building burns down.
(c) One of the children mysteriously disappears.
(d) Princess dies.
5. When pondering about mankind, Ish comes up with a definition for them. What definition does he use?
(a) The noise-producing animal.
(b) The world-killing animal.
(c) The diseased animal.
(d) The ravenous animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
2. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
3. While Ish is alone in his house and pondering civilization, what does he decide he will never be?
4. How many children did Em have before the virus?
5. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to become ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Bob and Dick so eager to use a brick to smash the door instead of the hammer?
2. Is the Tribe well organized? Why or why not?
3. Who does Ish think is his last companion?
4. What difference does Em make in Ish's life? What would have happened to Ish if Em had not been there?
5. Why does Ish start walking with a limp?
6. Why hasn't Ish ever noticed how beautiful Evie is?
7. What did Ezra do to test Charlie about his vest?
8. To what famous couple could the author be comparing Em and Ish?
9. In Chapter 4, the author says this of Milt and Ann that they would "pay the penalty which in the history of the world, he knew, had always been inflicted upon organisms which specialized too highly." What do you think the author means by this statement? How has the author shown the same principle already in the text?
10. When Ish goes to the library, he chooses two books to take home with him. Why do you think he chose these particular titles?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)