|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Em tell Ish not to worry about before she dies?
(a) The children.
(b) Being alone.
(c) Her burial.
(d) Rebuilding the reservoir.
2. Who does Ish meet when he is loading up his station wagon for his cross-country trip?
(a) A woman who asks to accompany him.
(b) A dog.
(c) A crazy man.
(d) An angry crowd.
3. During the second Quick Years, what plant does the Tribe manage to grow?
4. When Ish is alone in the cabin, what disturbs him?
(a) An explosion in the valley.
(b) Two men coming inside.
(c) Wild dogs fighting outside at night.
(d) A strong wind rocking the house.
5. What event occurs during the Year of Woodcarving that has a very
negative effect on Ish?
(a) Princess dies.
(b) The carpenter is crushed under an uneven house.
(c) His favorite building burns down.
(d) One of the children mysteriously disappears.
Short Answer Questions
1. While living alone, what book does Ish begin reading that makes him uneasy?
2. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
3. During the second Quick Years, what question do the young men ask Ish most frequently?
4. When Em is dying, how does Ish help her with her pain?
5. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, the author says this of Milt and Ann that they would "pay the penalty which in the history of the world, he knew, had always been inflicted upon organisms which specialized too highly." What do you think the author means by this statement? How has the author shown the same principle already in the text?
2. Where did the Tribe bury Charlie?
3. Jack tells Ish about how they have found great quantities of a certain object, all of which have different pictures. Can you name one of the people in the pictures?
4. Has Ish lived a happier life in spite of, or because of, the disaster?
5. What tradition does Em begin when they carve the year into the rock?
6. Has following Ish thorough the different stages of his life given you a better understanding of why elderly people like to just sit and talk? Why?
7. What was the significance of Ish taking the hammer with him to meet Charlie instead of another weapon?
8. Why does Ish run away from the column of smoke?
9. How does Ish feel after he finally discovers what has happened to ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¨everyone?ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¨
10. What realization makes Ish feel humble beside Em? What does he finally understand?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)