|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning, how does Ish go about finding other people?
(a) Honks his car horn.
(b) Shoots a pistol in the air.
(c) Waits at a grocery store.
(d) Puts up a flag.
2. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
(a) Any remaining people.
3. How do Ish and Em decide to mark the years?
(a) By keeping a diary.
(b) By marking the object Ish carries with him.
(c) By chiseling into a large rock.
(d) By painting the pole of a streetsign outside their house.
4. Who does Ish meet when he is loading up his station wagon for his cross-country trip?
(a) An angry crowd.
(b) A dog.
(c) A crazy man.
(d) A woman who asks to accompany him.
5. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
(a) A newspaper headline.
(b) A thief.
(c) A handwritten note on a body.
(d) A crackling radio station.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
2. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
3. What can Joey do better than any of the other children?
4. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
5. While driving back home after his cross-country trip, what animals does Ish notice have disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ish worry so much about Evie's state?
2. Why hasn't Ish ever noticed how beautiful Evie is?
3. Do Ish's own children think of Evie the same way that he does?
4. What was the significance of Ish taking the hammer with him to meet Charlie instead of another weapon?
5. What difference does Em make in Ish's life? What would have happened to Ish if Em had not been there?
6. What event at the end of Chapter 5 both frightens and saddens Ish?
7. When Ish goes to the library, he chooses two books to take home with him. Why do you think he chose these particular titles?
8. Who gave Isherwood his name, and why?
9. What does the author mean when he talks about certain crops and mankind being interdependent? Is he trying to make a larger statement?
10. What was different about the bodies that Ish saw in the dry, Arizona town?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)