|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ish is alone in the cabin, what disturbs him?
(a) Wild dogs fighting outside at night.
(b) A strong wind rocking the house.
(c) An explosion in the valley.
(d) Two men coming inside.
2. When Ish decides to take a cross-country trip, what is the reason he decides to go?
(a) To find other survivors.
(b) To find his parents.
(c) To find a safer place to live.
(d) To find a friend he hopes survived.
3. What animal does Ish see in his neighbor's yard that doesn't seem to belong there?
(a) A cow.
(b) A goat.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A horse.
4. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
(a) Stays for several nights.
(b) Empties the jewelry cabinet.
(c) Makes himself breakfast.
(d) Listens to a voice on the radio.
5. What do the older members of the community notice that
they think "pushes back the darkness" a little?
(a) The progress in building the village.
(b) The birth of children.
(c) The sudden arrival of visitors.
(d) The number of years everyone has survived.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to become ill?
2. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
3. What is the name of the city where Ish ends his trip to the east?
4. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
5. What event affects the house of Ish's neighbor that Ish refuses to fix?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the young men, though they have probably suffered, have less lines in their faces than someone in the old civilization would have had?
2. Why are Bob and Dick so eager to use a brick to smash the door instead of the hammer?
3. Why does Em start crying when she tells Ish about her pregnancy?
4. Is it significant that the author shows all the dependent animals dying first? If so, how is it significant?
5. Why are Richard and Robert chosen for the expedition instead of the other men?
6. What tradition does Em begin when they carve the year into the rock?
7. Why do you think the group wouldn't allow Evie to have children?
8. What was the significance of Ish taking the hammer with him to meet Charlie instead of another weapon?
9. Why do Ish's feelings about the execution seem to be very different than the feelings of the others?
10. What realization makes Ish feel humble beside Em? What does he finally understand?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)