Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Em decide to call the First Year?
(a) Year of the ox.
(b) Year of the baby.
(c) Year of the drought.
(d) Year of plenty.
2. When Ish is older, the young men ask him questions. What do they do if Ish doesn't give them an answer quickly enough?
(a) They don't feed him.
(b) They yell at him.
(c) They go to someone else.
(d) They pinch him.
3. What does Em think of Princess?
(a) That she needs to stay somewhere else.
(b) She wants to keep her for herself.
(c) That she is beautiful.
(d) She can't stand her.
4. During the second Quick Years, what plant does the Tribe manage to grow?
5. When Ish is older, he looks up one day while sitting on the hill and realizes that something is different. What is it?
(a) Ezra is gone.
(b) His son's wife has twins.
(c) New houses have been built.
(d) Josey is cooking him supper.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
2. Why do Ish and Ezra decide not to carve the year into the rock in Year Forty-three?
3. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
4. Who rescued Evie when she was living alone?
5. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the group wouldn't allow Evie to have children?
2. Why does Ish start walking with a limp?
3. What is one good reason why the Tribe should merge with the other tribe?
4. What tradition does Em begin when they carve the year into the rock?
5. Is the Tribe well organized? Why or why not?
6. Why hasn't Ish ever noticed how beautiful Evie is?
7. Why does Ish run away from the column of smoke?
8. Are the other Tribe members as dedicated to education as Ish is? Why or why not?
9. What event at the end of Chapter 5 both frightens and saddens Ish?
10. What do Ish and Em have to refill in order to continue on their journey? How do they do this?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)