|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event affects the house of Ish's neighbor that Ish refuses to fix?
(a) Ish wrecking his car.
(b) An electrical fire.
(c) A clogged drain.
(d) A severe storm.
2. What vegetable does Ish grow in his garden in Year Two of the Quick Years?
3. What can Joey do better than any of the other children?
4. At the beginning of the book, why doesn't Ish know about the virus?
(a) Ish is in a coma.
(b) Ish is driving outside the city with his radio off.
(c) Ish is in the country doing research.
(d) Ish is camping on the beach and fishing.
5. On his trip back to his hometown from the east coast, Ish has to drive a long way around something. What causes Ish to detour?
(a) A flooded road.
(b) A man with a rifle.
(c) A broken bridge.
(d) Massive wildfires.
Short Answer Questions
1. While living alone, what book does Ish begin reading that makes him uneasy?
2. What event occurs during the Year of Woodcarving that has a very negative effect on Ish?
3. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to become ill?
4. When Ish is alone in the cabin, what disturbs him?
5. While scavenging for food in his hometown, what item of food does Ish find to be inedible because of mice and weevils?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tradition does Em begin when they carve the year into the rock?
2. What was different about the bodies that Ish saw in the dry, Arizona town?
3. Is the Tribe well organized? Why or why not?
4. Where did the Tribe bury Charlie?
5. What was the significance of Ish taking the hammer with him to meet Charlie instead of another weapon?
6. When Ish goes to the library, he chooses two books to take home with him. Why do you think he chose these particular titles?
7. How is it significant that Ish has not passed on the tradition of carving the year into the rock? What effect may this have later?
8. Do Ish's own children think of Evie the same way that he does?
9. After the over-population of a certain animal, Ish notices that the larger ones of the species start killing one another off. He decides that the animals are not doing this out of hunger. What does he believe is the real reason?
10. What day of the year do Ish and Em choose to be their New Year's Day? Why?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)