|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Em move to Ish's house?
(a) He doesn't want to move his books.
(b) Her house is too small for all of them.
(c) He lives in a safer area of the city.
(d) He has a greater supply of food.
2. What does Ish notice is peculiar about one of the towns he visits on his drive home from Black Creek?
(a) His car is making a strange noise.
(b) People are hiding in the courthouse.
(c) All the people are gone.
(d) An unfriendly, dirty man is yellilng at him.
3. What is the name of Ish and Em's second child?
4. While Ish is alone in his house and pondering civilization, what does he decide he will never be?
(a) A god.
(b) A leader.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A survivor.
5. While driving back home after his cross-country trip, what animals does Ish notice have disappeared?
(a) Deer and elk.
(b) Cats and dogs.
(c) Snakes and other reptiles.
(d) Chickens and ducks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
2. Why does Ish think the books in the library are important?
3. During the Quick Years, one of Ish and Em's earliest children dies. What do the adults think is the cause?
4. In the beginning, how does Ish go about finding other people?
5. What instrument does Ish play in the "Year We Sang"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Ish a good leader for the Tribe? Why or why not?
2. What do Ish and Em have to refill in order to continue on their journey? How do they do this?
3. Why do you think the group wouldn't allow Evie to have children?
4. What day of the year do Ish and Em choose to be their New Year's Day? Why?
5. What was different about the bodies that Ish saw in the dry, Arizona town?
6. What is notable about how Ish acts on his trip home?
7. Are the other Tribe members as dedicated to education as Ish is? Why or why not?
8. Has Ish changed over the years? Why?
9. To what famous couple could the author be comparing Em and Ish?
10. What do you think of how Ish paid for the food he received from the family in Arkansas? Was it a fair exchange?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)