|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Em think of Princess?
(a) She can't stand her.
(b) She wants to keep her for herself.
(c) That she needs to stay somewhere else.
(d) That she is beautiful.
2. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
(a) He is physically stronger than most people.
(b) He has always preferred to do things alone.
(c) He went through survival training in Wyoming.
(d) He was a boy scout.
3. What natural disaster occurs in Year Twenty?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A fire.
(c) A landslide.
(d) A flood.
4. After Ish finds out Em is pregnant, what does he use to determine the end of the year?
(a) A compass and a watch.
(b) A dirty calendar.
(c) A surveyor's transit.
(d) A chronograph.
5. What does Ish start carrying with him for protection after meeting a pack of dogs in his hometown?
(a) A baseball bat.
(b) A firearm.
(c) A hand-held radio.
(d) A loud bullhorn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
2. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
3. Who does Ish meet when he is loading up his station wagon for his cross-country trip?
4. Who rescued Evie when she was living alone?
5. On his trip back to his hometown from the east coast, Ish has to drive a long way around something. What causes Ish to detour?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would Ish like any man that the boys brought back? Why or why not?
2. Why are Richard and Robert chosen for the expedition instead of the other men?
3. What tradition does Em begin when they carve the year into the rock?
4. Until he arrives at the desert, what are a few of the things Ish worries about the most?
5. Is the Tribe well organized? Why or why not?
6. What event at the end of Chapter 5 both frightens and saddens Ish?
7. Why does Em start crying when she tells Ish about her pregnancy?
8. What does the author mean when he talks about certain crops and mankind being interdependent? Is he trying to make a larger statement?
9. Why does Ish start walking with a limp?
10. Is it significant that the author shows all the dependent animals dying first? If so, how is it significant?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)