|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While exploring the city, Ish meets a drunkard. What is the man's name?
2. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
(b) Any remaining people.
3. When Ish is older, he looks up one day while sitting on the hill and realizes that something is different. What is it?
(a) New houses have been built.
(b) Josey is cooking him supper.
(c) Ezra is gone.
(d) His son's wife has twins.
4. What does Ish notice is peculiar about one of the towns he visits on his drive home from Black Creek?
(a) His car is making a strange noise.
(b) People are hiding in the courthouse.
(c) An unfriendly, dirty man is yellilng at him.
(d) All the people are gone.
5. What does Em think of Princess?
(a) That she is beautiful.
(b) She can't stand her.
(c) She wants to keep her for herself.
(d) That she needs to stay somewhere else.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
2. What job would Ish have had if the virus had never occurred?
3. What does Em decide to call the First Year?
4. After Ish finds out Em is pregnant, what does he use to determine the end of the year?
5. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to become ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author mean when he talks about certain crops and mankind being interdependent? Is he trying to make a larger statement?
2. What purpose do funeral rites serve, according to the author?
3. Is the Tribe well organized? Why or why not?
4. Why does Ish run away from the column of smoke?
5. Why are Richard and Robert chosen for the expedition instead of the other men?
6. Are the other Tribe members as dedicated to education as Ish is? Why or why not?
7. What do Ish and Em have to refill in order to continue on their journey? How do they do this?
8. Has Ish changed over the years? Why?
9. What is the author trying to illustrate when he shows how the young men treat Ish if he doesn't answer questions?
10. To what famous couple could the author be comparing Em and Ish?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)