|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the city where Ish ends his trip to the east?
(c) New York.
2. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant,
how does he manage to get inside?
(a) He finds a door that was left ajar.
(b) He finds an open window.
(c) He chops the door off its hinges.
(d) He breaks in through a window.
3. While Ish is traveling to the east coast, he kills an animal, eating its liver afterward. What kind of animal does Ish kill?
4. What can Joey do better than any of the other children?
5. While driving back home after his cross-country trip, what animals does Ish notice have disappeared?
(a) Snakes and other reptiles.
(b) Chickens and ducks.
(c) Cats and dogs.
(d) Deer and elk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal begins to invade the city after Ish and Em find one another?
2. In the beginning, how does Ish go about finding other people?
3. What animal does Ish see running in the highway after the virus strikes?
4. What event affects the house of Ish's neighbor that Ish refuses to fix?
5. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Em start crying when she tells Ish about her pregnancy?
2. How is it significant that many of the people do not sleep in the same location that Ish does?
3. What realization makes Ish feel humble beside Em? What does he finally understand?
4. Ish uses razors, and then throws them away, using a new one every day. Is this behavior a good idea or a bad idea? What doesthis say about Ish?
5. After the over-population of a certain animal, Ish notices that the larger ones of the species start killing one another off. He decides that the animals are not doing this out of hunger. What does he believe is the real reason?
6. Jack tells Ish about how they have found great quantities of a certain object, all of which have different pictures. Can you name one of the people in the pictures?
7. What do you think of how Ish paid for the food he received from the family in Arkansas? Was it a fair exchange?
8. When Ish goes to the library, he chooses two books to take home with him. Why do you think he chose these particular titles?
9. What does the author mean when he talks about certain crops and mankind being interdependent? Is he trying to make a larger statement?
10. Does Ish put too much emphasis on above-average intelligence instead of other qualities?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)