|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Year Sixteen, what do Mary and Ralph decide to do?
(a) Start a new village.
(b) Go look for other people.
(c) Get married.
(d) Run away from home.
2. What type of animal begins to invade the city after Ish and Em find one another?
(a) Feral cats.
(d) Wild dogs.
3. When Ish stays with the couple that he meets in the eastern city, he finds they will not leave. Why does Ish think they won't leave?
(a) They can find everything they need within walking distance.
(b) Their family is buried nearby.
(c) They're trying to restart the government.
(d) They are afraid of the outside world.
4. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
(a) He was a boy scout.
(b) He went through survival training in Wyoming.
(c) He is physically stronger than most people.
(d) He has always preferred to do things alone.
5. What event affects the house of Ish's neighbor that Ish refuses to fix?
(a) A clogged drain.
(b) An electrical fire.
(c) Ish wrecking his car.
(d) A severe storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ish find when he arrives home after his trip to the east coast?
2. What natural disaster occurs in Year Twenty?
3. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
4. While exploring the city, Ish meets a drunkard. What is the man's name?
5. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does Em make in Ish's life? What would have happened to Ish if Em had not been there?
2. Ish uses razors, and then throws them away, using a new one every day. Is this behavior a good idea or a bad idea? What doesthis say about Ish?
3. What was different about the bodies that Ish saw in the dry, Arizona town?
4. Has Ish lived a happier life in spite of, or because of, the disaster?
5. Who is the "leader" of the group? Why?
6. Why does Ish run away from the column of smoke?
7. How does the Tribe see Ish?
8. In Chapter 4, the author says this of Milt and Ann that they would "pay the penalty which in the history of the world, he knew, had always been inflicted upon organisms which specialized too highly." What do you think the author means by this statement? How has the author shown the same principle already in the text?
9. What day of the year do Ish and Em choose to be their New Year's Day? Why?
10. What did Ezra do to test Charlie about his vest?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)