|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
(b) Beware of plague.
(c) Stay away.
2. What type of animal begins to invade the city after Ish and Em find one another?
(a) Wild dogs.
(c) Feral cats.
3. When Ish heads to the east coast, what does he attach to the back of his car?
(a) An American flag.
(b) A motorcycle.
(c) A boat.
(d) A trailer.
4. What natural disaster occurs in Year Twenty?
(a) A fire.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A landslide.
(d) A flood.
5. On his trip back to his hometown from the east coast, Ish has to drive a long way around something. What causes Ish to detour?
(a) A man with a rifle.
(b) Massive wildfires.
(c) A broken bridge.
(d) A flooded road.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ish stays with the couple that he meets in the eastern city, he finds they will not leave. Why does Ish think they won't leave?
2. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
3. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
4. When Ish decides to drive over the bridge, what sight prevents him from going to the other city?
5. How do Ish and Em decide to mark the years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event at the end of Chapter 5 both frightens and saddens Ish?
2. After the over-population of a certain animal, Ish notices that the larger ones of the species start killing one another off. He decides that the animals are not doing this out of hunger. What does he believe is the real reason?
3. What was different about the bodies that Ish saw in the dry, Arizona town?
4. Who does Ish think is his last companion?
5. Where did the Tribe bury Charlie?
6. What purpose do funeral rites serve, according to the author?
7. When visiting the library, what does Joey ask Ish about restoring? What does he see that causes him to ask the question?
8. Has Ish lived a happier life in spite of, or because of, the disaster?
9. Does Ish seem to treat Joey differently than everyone else? Why or why not?
10. What law does Ish believe needs to be in effect the next time any new people arrive in their area? Why?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)