|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Em think of Princess?
(a) That she is beautiful.
(b) She can't stand her.
(c) That she needs to stay somewhere else.
(d) She wants to keep her for herself.
2. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
(a) Empties the jewelry cabinet.
(b) Makes himself breakfast.
(c) Stays for several nights.
(d) Listens to a voice on the radio.
3. Why does Ish worry about being with Em at first?
(a) She doesn't seem to like him, she just wants a companion.
(b) She seems to have mental problems.
(c) She might have a hidden sickness.
(d) She is older than he is.
4. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
(d) Any remaining people.
5. Why do Em and Ish decide to keep Princess in the house during the infestation?
(a) Because of something that Ish finds.
(b) Because they have seen a strange man who won't speak with them.
(c) For protection.
(d) Because they're afraid she will run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city where Ish ends his trip to the east?
2. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
3. While Ish is alone in his house and pondering civilization, what does he decide he will never be?
4. Why does Em move to Ish's house?
5. While scavenging for food in his hometown, what item of food does Ish find to be inedible because of mice and weevils?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Ish think is his last companion?
2. Is Ish a good leader for the Tribe? Why or why not?
3. What do you think of how Ish paid for the food he received from the family in Arkansas? Was it a fair exchange?
4. How does Ish feel after he finally discovers what has happened to everyone?
5. Where did the Tribe bury Charlie?
6. How would you react if you were in Ish's place when he finds out what happened?
7. When Ish goes to the library, he chooses two books to take home with him. Why do you think he chose these particular titles?
8. What day of the year do Ish and Em choose to be their New Year's Day? Why?
9. Ish uses razors, and then throws them away, using a new one every day. Is this behavior a good idea or a bad idea? What doesthis say about Ish?
10. Jack tells Ish about how they have found great quantities of a certain object, all of which have different pictures. Can you name one of the people in the pictures?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)