|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the Quick Years, the community tries to start a church. From what "church" does Maurine think Ish gets his ideas?
(a) The Methodist Church.
(b) The Skeptic Church.
(c) The Church of Christ.
(d) The Catholic Church.
2. During Ish's trip to the east, he meets a small family in Arkansas. What are they doing?
(a) Trying to start a car.
(b) Traveling toward the coast.
(c) Building a house.
(d) Raising animals and crops.
3. What do the older members of the community notice that
they think "pushes back the darkness" a little?
(a) The progress in building the village.
(b) The birth of children.
(c) The sudden arrival of visitors.
(d) The number of years everyone has survived.
4. When Ish is alone in the cabin, what disturbs him?
(a) Two men coming inside.
(b) An explosion in the valley.
(c) A strong wind rocking the house.
(d) Wild dogs fighting outside at night.
5. On his way back to town after his illness, what does Ish do when he reaches Johnson's?
(a) Looks in the window and leaves.
(b) Steals from the register.
(c) Pumps gas and leaves payment.
(d) Talks to the attendant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Em have before the virus?
2. When Ish heads to the east coast, what does he attach to the back of his car?
3. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
4. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
5. Why does Em move to Ish's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it significant that Ish has not passed on the tradition of carving the year into the rock? What effect may this have later?
2. What did Ezra do to test Charlie about his vest?
3. Is the Tribe well organized? Why or why not?
4. What was different about the bodies that Ish saw in the dry, Arizona town?
5. What is the author trying to illustrate when he shows how the young men treat Ish if he doesn't answer questions?
6. What is one good reason why the Tribe should merge with the other tribe?
7. How do the older people treat Charlie?
8. How does Ish feel after he finally discovers what has happened to everyone?
9. Why does Em start crying when she tells Ish about her pregnancy?
10. What day of the year do Ish and Em choose to be their New Year's Day? Why?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)