|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of animal begins to invade the city after Ish and Em find one another?
(a) Wild dogs.
(b) Feral cats.
2. How do Ish and Em decide to mark the years?
(a) By painting the pole of a streetsign outside their house.
(b) By keeping a diary.
(c) By chiseling into a large rock.
(d) By marking the object Ish carries with him.
3. What does Ish find when he arrives home after his trip to the east coast?
(a) His note is untouched.
(b) Someone has been in his home.
(c) His door is broken.
(d) His parents left him a note.
4. At the beginning of the book, why doesn't Ish know about the virus?
(a) Ish is camping on the beach and fishing.
(b) Ish is in the country doing research.
(c) Ish is in a coma.
(d) Ish is driving outside the city with his radio off.
5. When Ish heads to the east coast, what does he attach to the back of his car?
(a) A motorcycle.
(b) An American flag.
(c) A trailer.
(d) A boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Em have before the virus?
2. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant, how does he manage to get inside?
3. In Year Sixteen, what do Mary and Ralph decide to do?
4. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
5. What event occurs during the Year of Woodcarving that has a very negative effect on Ish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the Tribe bury Charlie?
2. Why do the young men, though they have probably suffered, have less lines in their faces than someone in the old civilization would have had?
3. What did Ezra do to test Charlie about his vest?
4. Why does Ish run away from the column of smoke?
5. To what famous couple could the author be comparing Em and Ish?
6. Why do Ish's feelings about the execution seem to be very different than the feelings of the others?
7. Has Ish lived a happier life in spite of, or because of, the disaster?
8. How is Ish different at the end of the book than he was at the start?
9. What tradition does Em begin when they carve the year into the rock?
10. What purpose do funeral rites serve, according to the author?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)