|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Year Five, the people create a "national pastime" out of avoiding
what type of animal?
2. How many children did Em have before the virus?
3. Why does Ish worry about being with Em at first?
(a) She doesn't seem to like him, she just wants a companion.
(b) She might have a hidden sickness.
(c) She is older than he is.
(d) She seems to have mental problems.
4. When Ish decides to drive over the bridge, what sight prevents him from going to the other city?
(a) A massive fire.
(b) A pile of bodies.
(c) A fallen road sign.
(d) An empty car
5. What is the name of Ish and Em's second child?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Em and Ish decide to keep Princess in the house during the infestation?
2. What is the name of the city where Ish ends his trip to the east?
3. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
4. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
5. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is notable about how Ish acts on his trip home?
2. When visiting the library, what does Joey ask Ish about restoring? What does he see that causes him to ask the question?
3. How do the older people treat Charlie?
4. Why does Em start crying when she tells Ish about her pregnancy?
5. What realization makes Ish feel humble beside Em? What does he finally understand?
6. Is the Tribe well organized? Why or why not?
7. Do Ish's own children think of Evie the same way that he does?
8. What day of the year do Ish and Em choose to be their New Year's Day? Why?
9. Why are Bob and Dick so eager to use a brick to smash the door instead of the hammer?
10. Why does Ish decide that most of the items on his original list of survival characteristics are useless?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)