|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ezra think Charlie has with him?
(a) A knife.
(b) A letter.
(d) A pistol.
2. When Ish meets Charlie on the hill, what does Ish tell Charlie that he wants him to do?
(a) Contribute to the community.
(b) Leave Evie alone.
(c) Give him what is in his pocket.
(d) Go away.
3. What city did Bob and Dick finally find on their expedition?
(a) New York.
4. Because of a particular habit that Ish has, Em worries about him. What illness does Em think Ish will cause himself to have?
(b) Chronic headaches.
(c) A toothache.
5. During the funeral of the Tribe members who died, what occurs that is considered to be a positive symbol?
(a) The sun comes up.
(b) The clouds clear away.
(c) A bird lands between the graves.
(d) A rainbow appears.
6. Before the second round of the Quick Years, what does Ish realize about himself when he is sitting on the library steps?
(a) He is all alone.
(b) He is old.
(c) He is a curmudgeon.
(d) He isn't very smart.
7. How do Ish and the others decide what to do about Charlie?
(a) They put numbers in a hat.
(b) They voice their opinion, then let Ish make the decision.
(c) They vote.
(d) They draw straws.
8. What do the members of the Tribe use for sweetener in their coffee?
(a) Apple juice.
(d) Corn syrup.
9. What old game do the children suddenly go crazy for?
(d) Jigsaw puzzles.
10. What, according to one of the other children, is Joey "no good at"?
(a) Picking chesnuts.
(c) Finding quail nests.
11. What do the children place over the graves of those who died of the sickness?
(c) Colorful glass.
(d) Pine boughs.
12. What object does Ezra keep mentioning that he wants to bring up for the kids?
(a) A board game.
(b) A movie projector
(c) An old camera.
(d) A go-cart.
13. Who does Ish compare himself to when he thinks about giving instructions to the boys about their cross-country expedition?
(a) King David.
(b) President Jefferson.
(c) Alexander the Great.
14. When illness spreads through the Tribe after Charlie's death, what insect does Ish notice is still common?
15. When the boys return from the expedition, what plant does Ish ask his son if he has seen?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the New Year's celebration, what do the children find that helps the fire burn better?
2. What major event causes the Tribe to have to change the way they live, even though Ish says they should have been more prepared?
3. After the boys return home from traveling east, what animal does Ish ask the boys if they have seen?
4. On the expedition, how did the people in the white robes react to the boys?
5. How does Ish feel about the execution of Charlie?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)