|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some of the children bring back one day that Ish breaks with the hammer?
(b) An old radio.
(d) A locked box.
2. When Ish explains the expedition route to the boys, what name do they have a hard time understanding?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) Rio Grande.
3. Where did the boys find Charlie?
(a) In Phoenix.
(b) In Chicago.
(c) In Los Angeles.
(d) In Sacramento.
4. What do the children place over the graves of those who died of the sickness?
(a) Pine boughs.
(b) Colorful glass.
5. During the New Year's celebration, what do the children find that helps the fire burn better?
(a) Toilet paper rolls.
(b) Lighter fluid.
(d) Old sheets.
6. What do the men build after their way of life changes, in order to maintain cleanliness?
(a) A compost heap.
(b) Garbage bins.
(c) A sewage pit.
7. Because of a particular habit that Ish has, Em worries about him. What illness does Em think Ish will cause himself to have?
(b) Chronic headaches.
(c) A toothache.
8. Why are the children afraid of the hammer?
(a) Because it is an object for grown-ups.
(b) Because they are superstitious.
(c) Because Joey told them it is evil.
(d) Because Ish has a temper.
9. What highway did the boys follow back home on the expedition?
10. Who does Ish think is the most stolid of all his children?
11. After visiting the library, what does Joey immediately do?
(a) Goes to play.
(b) Asks to take a book with him.
(c) Runs away.
12. What kind of vehicle does Ish seek out for the boy's expedition?
(a) A jeep.
(b) A station wagon.
(c) An SUV.
(d) A coupe.
13. What breakfast food is not available anymore, since the Great Disaster?
14. What, according to one of the other children, is Joey "no good at"?
(c) Finding quail nests.
(d) Picking chesnuts.
15. What are the members of the community doing when Ish and the boys return from finding a vehicle for the expedition?
(a) Playing the national sport.
(b) Gathering food.
(c) Holding a meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ezra call Charlie's illnesses?
2. What feature of Charlie's makes Ish really dislike him?
3. Ish thinks quite a bit about how the community has adapted to their new life. What behavior does Ish notice about the Tribe that he thinks they need to change?
4. What does Ish teach the children to make after the plague that kills several in the Tribe?
5. What does Ish fear that Charlie might take from him?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)