|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
(a) A burning building.
(b) A blinking road sign.
(c) A dead body.
(d) Two children, walking alone.
2. While exploring the city, Ish meets a drunkard. What is the man's name?
3. After Ish finds out Em is pregnant, what does he use to determine the end of the year?
(a) A dirty calendar.
(b) A chronograph.
(c) A compass and a watch.
(d) A surveyor's transit.
4. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
(a) He went through survival training in Wyoming.
(b) He has always preferred to do things alone.
(c) He was a boy scout.
(d) He is physically stronger than most people.
5. On his way back to town after his illness, what does Ish do when he reaches Johnson's?
(a) Pumps gas and leaves payment.
(b) Talks to the attendant.
(c) Looks in the window and leaves.
(d) Steals from the register.
6. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
(a) A deer.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) An elk.
(d) A fox.
7. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
(a) Princess disappears.
(b) Em trips and hurts herself.
(c) Ish loses his watch.
(d) The car won't start.
8. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
(a) Their water supply is low.
(b) There is a dangerous gang nearby.
(c) A harsh winter is coming.
(d) They don't know how to defend themselves.
9. What do the older members of the community notice that
they think "pushes back the darkness" a little?
(a) The progress in building the village.
(b) The birth of children.
(c) The number of years everyone has survived.
(d) The sudden arrival of visitors.
10. What animal does Ish see running in the highway after the virus strikes?
(a) A horse.
(b) A goat.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A mountain lion.
11. In the beginning, how does Ish go about finding other people?
(a) Waits at a grocery store.
(b) Puts up a flag.
(c) Shoots a pistol in the air.
(d) Honks his car horn.
12. Who rescued Evie when she was living alone?
13. While Ish is alone in his house and pondering civilization, what does he decide he will never be?
(a) A survivor.
(b) A murderer.
(c) A god.
(d) A leader.
14. During the Quick Years, one of Ish and Em's earliest children dies. What do the adults think is the cause?
(a) He was born with a weak heart.
(b) He ate rat poison.
(c) He caught pneumonia.
(d) He hurt his head in a fall.
15. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
(d) Size of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. While cruising through town, what does Ish see on the flashing neon sign that he equates to the progress and downfall of civilization?
2. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
3. At the beginning of the book, why doesn't Ish know about the virus?
4. In Year Eleven, Molly is the first person to have this happen to her:
5. What does Ish find when he arrives home after his trip to the east coast?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)