|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Tribe decide to merge with the people across the bay?
(a) Because the young men need wives.
(b) Because they need more workers.
(c) Because they have boats and can fish.
(d) Because they know how to grow better food.
2. Why do Ish and Ezra decide not to carve the year into the rock in Year Forty-three?
(a) Because the children don't understand.
(b) Because it doesn't matter anymore.
(c) Because they're the only two left who care.
(d) Because it is too far to walk.
3. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
(a) Stay away.
(b) Beware of plague.
4. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
(a) The fear of death.
(b) Being an observer.
(c) Curiosity about his parents.
(d) The books he reads.
5. When Ish is alone in the cabin, what disturbs him?
(a) Wild dogs fighting outside at night.
(b) Two men coming inside.
(c) An explosion in the valley.
(d) A strong wind rocking the house.
6. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
(a) He has always preferred to do things alone.
(b) He was a boy scout.
(c) He went through survival training in Wyoming.
(d) He is physically stronger than most people.
7. In Year Sixteen, what do Mary and Ralph decide to do?
(a) Go look for other people.
(b) Start a new village.
(c) Run away from home.
(d) Get married.
8. What does Em think of Princess?
(a) That she needs to stay somewhere else.
(b) That she is beautiful.
(c) She wants to keep her for herself.
(d) She can't stand her.
9. While driving back home after his cross-country trip, what animals does Ish notice have disappeared?
(a) Deer and elk.
(b) Chickens and ducks.
(c) Snakes and other reptiles.
(d) Cats and dogs.
10. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
(a) The car overheats.
(b) He becomes lost.
(c) He feels ill.
(d) His friend wants out.
11. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
(a) A burning building.
(b) A blinking road sign.
(c) A dead body.
(d) Two children, walking alone.
12. What type of animal begins to invade the city after Ish and Em find one another?
(a) Feral cats.
(d) Wild dogs.
13. How does George die?
(a) He falls off a ladder.
(b) He is mauled by a lion.
(c) He has a heart attack.
(d) He dies in his sleep.
14. When Ish is older, he looks up one day while sitting on the hill and realizes that something is different. What is it?
(a) Josey is cooking him supper.
(b) Ezra is gone.
(c) New houses have been built.
(d) His son's wife has twins.
15. What animal does Ish see in his neighbor's yard that doesn't seem to belong there?
(a) A cow.
(b) A goat.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he is old, what does Ish see near the bay that he realizes has happened before in history?
2. What does Ezra ask Ish to do after Em dies?
3. While cruising through town, what does Ish see on the flashing neon sign that he equates to the progress and downfall of civilization?
4. What does Ish find when he arrives home after his trip to the east coast?
5. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)