|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Joey do better than any of the other children?
2. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
(a) A fox.
(b) An elk.
(c) A deer.
(d) A mountain lion.
3. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
(a) A dead body.
(b) Two children, walking alone.
(c) A burning building.
(d) A blinking road sign.
4. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
(a) Find medicine.
(b) Provide hot water and clean sheets.
(c) Read books about it.
(d) Stay away.
5. How many children did Em have before the virus?
6. What does Em decide to call the First Year?
(a) Year of the drought.
(b) Year of the baby.
(c) Year of plenty.
(d) Year of the ox.
7. What is the name of the city where Ish ends his trip to the east?
(b) New York.
8. What job would Ish have had if the virus had never occurred?
(a) A job as a writer.
(b) A job as a policeman.
(c) A job as a professor.
(d) A job as a judge.
9. What illness does Ish suffer from as he becomes older?
(c) A broken ankle.
(d) A dry cough.
10. Where does Ish drive when he finds out Em is pregnant?
(a) To the library.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To an old pharmacy.
(d) Back to Em's old house.
11. In the beginning, how does Ish go about finding other people?
(a) Waits at a grocery store.
(b) Puts up a flag.
(c) Honks his car horn.
(d) Shoots a pistol in the air.
12. How does George die?
(a) He has a heart attack.
(b) He falls off a ladder.
(c) He is mauled by a lion.
(d) He dies in his sleep.
13. What does Em tell Ish not to worry about before she dies?
(a) Her burial.
(b) Being alone.
(c) The children.
(d) Rebuilding the reservoir.
14. How does Em demonstrate to Ish that children are necessary?
(a) She shows him how hard it is to work the garden alone.
(b) She digs the roots out of a rose bush.
(c) She shows him old pictures of her family.
(d) She lights a match and blows it out.
15. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
(d) Size of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of all the people Ish finds at first, which of these is the most friendly?
2. While Ish is traveling to the east coast, he kills an animal, eating its liver afterward. What kind of animal does Ish kill?
3. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
4. Why does the Tribe decide to merge with the people across the bay?
5. In Year Eleven, Molly is the first person to have this happen to her:
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)