|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Em decide to call the First Year?
(a) Year of plenty.
(b) Year of the drought.
(c) Year of the baby.
(d) Year of the ox.
2. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to
(a) A rat infestation.
(b) Rotten food.
(c) Contaminated water.
(d) A visitor.
3. While exploring the city, Ish meets a drunkard. What is the man's name?
4. Why does Ish think the books in the library are important?
(a) He wants to learn from the mistakes of history.
(b) Reading and arithmetic will help the children survive the elements.
(c) They may need to burn them for fuel during winter.
(d) People will use them to rebuild civilization.
5. When Ish decides to drive over the bridge, what sight prevents him from going to the other city?
(a) A pile of bodies.
(b) A fallen road sign.
(c) An empty car
(d) A massive fire.
6. Why does Ish worry about being with Em at first?
(a) She seems to have mental problems.
(b) She is older than he is.
(c) She doesn't seem to like him, she just wants a companion.
(d) She might have a hidden sickness.
7. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
(a) Provide hot water and clean sheets.
(b) Read books about it.
(c) Stay away.
(d) Find medicine.
8. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
(a) Ish loses his watch.
(b) Em trips and hurts herself.
(c) The car won't start.
(d) Princess disappears.
9. How does Em demonstrate to Ish that children are necessary?
(a) She shows him how hard it is to work the garden alone.
(b) She lights a match and blows it out.
(c) She shows him old pictures of her family.
(d) She digs the roots out of a rose bush.
10. What do the older members of the community notice that
they think "pushes back the darkness" a little?
(a) The progress in building the village.
(b) The sudden arrival of visitors.
(c) The birth of children.
(d) The number of years everyone has survived.
11. Where does Ish drive when he finds out Em is pregnant?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To an old pharmacy.
(c) Back to Em's old house.
(d) To the library.
12. In Year Sixteen, what do Mary and Ralph decide to do?
(a) Run away from home.
(b) Start a new village.
(c) Go look for other people.
(d) Get married.
13. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
(a) Stays for several nights.
(b) Listens to a voice on the radio.
(c) Makes himself breakfast.
(d) Empties the jewelry cabinet.
14. After Ish finds out Em is pregnant, what does he use to determine the end of the year?
(a) A chronograph.
(b) A surveyor's transit.
(c) A dirty calendar.
(d) A compass and a watch.
15. What does Ish start carrying with him for protection after meeting a pack of dogs in his hometown?
(a) A loud bullhorn.
(b) A hand-held radio.
(c) A firearm.
(d) A baseball bat.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
2. What insects invade Ish's home while he is living alone?
3. On his trip back to his hometown from the east coast, Ish has to drive a long way around something. What causes Ish to detour?
4. During the Quick Years, one of Ish and Em's earliest children dies. What do the adults think is the cause?
5. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)