|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the city where Ish ends his trip to the east?
(a) New York.
2. While scavenging for food in his hometown, what item of food does Ish find to be inedible because of mice and weevils?
3. While exploring the city, Ish meets a drunkard. What is the man's name?
4. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
(a) Stay away.
(b) Read books about it.
(c) Provide hot water and clean sheets.
(d) Find medicine.
5. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant,
how does he manage to get inside?
(a) He finds an open window.
(b) He finds a door that was left ajar.
(c) He chops the door off its hinges.
(d) He breaks in through a window.
6. What vegetable does Ish grow in his garden in Year Two of the Quick Years?
7. When pondering about mankind, Ish comes up with a definition for them. What definition does he use?
(a) The diseased animal.
(b) The world-killing animal.
(c) The ravenous animal.
(d) The noise-producing animal.
8. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
(a) A fox.
(b) A deer.
(c) An elk.
(d) A mountain lion.
9. When Ish stays with the couple that he meets in the eastern city, he finds they will not leave. Why does Ish think they won't leave?
(a) They can find everything they need within walking distance.
(b) Their family is buried nearby.
(c) They're trying to restart the government.
(d) They are afraid of the outside world.
10. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
(a) Makes himself breakfast.
(b) Listens to a voice on the radio.
(c) Stays for several nights.
(d) Empties the jewelry cabinet.
11. How many children did Em have before the virus?
12. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
(a) Princess disappears.
(b) Ish loses his watch.
(c) Em trips and hurts herself.
(d) The car won't start.
13. While Ish is traveling to the east coast, he kills an animal, eating its liver afterward. What kind of animal does Ish kill?
14. On his way back to town after his illness, what does Ish do when he reaches Johnson's?
(a) Talks to the attendant.
(b) Looks in the window and leaves.
(c) Steals from the register.
(d) Pumps gas and leaves payment.
15. Why does Ish think the books in the library are important?
(a) He wants to learn from the mistakes of history.
(b) Reading and arithmetic will help the children survive the elements.
(c) They may need to burn them for fuel during winter.
(d) People will use them to rebuild civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
2. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
3. In the Quick Years, which new discovery or hobby causes the children to be so delighted they name Year Ten after it?
4. How does Em demonstrate to Ish that children are necessary?
5. At the beginning of the book, why doesn't Ish know about the virus?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)