|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the older members of the community notice that
they think "pushes back the darkness" a little?
(a) The sudden arrival of visitors.
(b) The number of years everyone has survived.
(c) The birth of children.
(d) The progress in building the village.
2. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
(a) Stay away.
(d) Beware of plague.
3. What natural disaster occurs in Year Twenty?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A fire.
(c) A landslide.
(d) A flood.
4. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
(a) Read books about it.
(b) Provide hot water and clean sheets.
(c) Stay away.
(d) Find medicine.
5. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
(a) A deer.
(b) A fox.
(c) An elk.
(d) A mountain lion.
6. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
(a) Their water supply is low.
(b) They don't know how to defend themselves.
(c) A harsh winter is coming.
(d) There is a dangerous gang nearby.
7. When Ish stays with the couple that he meets in the eastern city, he finds they will not leave. Why does Ish think they won't leave?
(a) They're trying to restart the government.
(b) They are afraid of the outside world.
(c) They can find everything they need within walking distance.
(d) Their family is buried nearby.
8. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
(a) He went through survival training in Wyoming.
(b) He is physically stronger than most people.
(c) He was a boy scout.
(d) He has always preferred to do things alone.
9. During Ish's trip to the east, he meets a small family in Arkansas. What are they doing?
(a) Building a house.
(b) Traveling toward the coast.
(c) Raising animals and crops.
(d) Trying to start a car.
10. What instrument does Ish play in the "Year We Sang"?
(a) An accordion.
(b) A clarinet.
(c) A harmonica.
(d) A violin.
11. When Ish is alone in the cabin, what disturbs him?
(a) Two men coming inside.
(b) A strong wind rocking the house.
(c) An explosion in the valley.
(d) Wild dogs fighting outside at night.
12. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
(a) Size of the city.
13. While cruising through town, what does Ish see on the flashing neon sign that he equates to the progress and downfall of civilization?
(a) A flashing hand of cards.
(b) A line of stars.
(c) A galloping horse.
(d) The temperature.
14. What does Em decide to call the First Year?
(a) Year of the baby.
(b) Year of the ox.
(c) Year of the drought.
(d) Year of plenty.
15. While Ish is alone in his house and pondering civilization, what does he decide he will never be?
(a) A leader.
(b) A survivor.
(c) A god.
(d) A murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
2. What event affects the house of Ish's neighbor that Ish refuses to fix?
3. While scavenging for food in his hometown, what item of food does Ish find to be inedible because of mice and weevils?
4. In the Quick Years, which new discovery or hobby causes the children to be so delighted they name Year Ten after it?
5. What does Ish notice is peculiar about one of the towns he visits on his drive home from Black Creek?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)