|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rescued Evie when she was living alone?
2. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
(a) Curiosity about his parents.
(b) The fear of death.
(c) Being an observer.
(d) The books he reads.
3. What event occurs during the Year of Woodcarving that has a very
negative effect on Ish?
(a) Princess dies.
(b) The carpenter is crushed under an uneven house.
(c) His favorite building burns down.
(d) One of the children mysteriously disappears.
4. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
(a) Killing as many of the animals as possible.
(b) Domesticating the animals.
(c) Building defenses against the animals.
(d) Calculating how many of this type of animal are in the city.
5. Who does Ish meet when he is loading up his station wagon for his cross-country trip?
(a) An angry crowd.
(b) A dog.
(c) A crazy man.
(d) A woman who asks to accompany him.
6. What animal does Ish see in his neighbor's yard that doesn't seem to belong there?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A goat.
(c) A cow.
(d) A horse.
7. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant,
how does he manage to get inside?
(a) He finds a door that was left ajar.
(b) He chops the door off its hinges.
(c) He breaks in through a window.
(d) He finds an open window.
8. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
(b) Size of the city.
9. When Ish stays with the couple that he meets in the eastern city, he finds they will not leave. Why does Ish think they won't leave?
(a) They can find everything they need within walking distance.
(b) They're trying to restart the government.
(c) They are afraid of the outside world.
(d) Their family is buried nearby.
10. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
(a) He was a boy scout.
(b) He went through survival training in Wyoming.
(c) He has always preferred to do things alone.
(d) He is physically stronger than most people.
11. What type of animal begins to invade the city after Ish and Em find one another?
(a) Wild dogs.
(d) Feral cats.
12. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
(a) Any remaining people.
13. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
(a) Stay away.
(d) Beware of plague.
14. Why does Ish worry about being with Em at first?
(a) She might have a hidden sickness.
(b) She is older than he is.
(c) She seems to have mental problems.
(d) She doesn't seem to like him, she just wants a companion.
15. Why does Ish think the books in the library are important?
(a) They may need to burn them for fuel during winter.
(b) Reading and arithmetic will help the children survive the elements.
(c) People will use them to rebuild civilization.
(d) He wants to learn from the mistakes of history.
Short Answer Questions
1. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
2. While driving back home after his cross-country trip, what animals does Ish notice have disappeared?
3. What vegetable does Ish grow in his garden in Year Two of the Quick Years?
4. How does Em demonstrate to Ish that children are necessary?
5. How many children did Em have before the virus?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)