|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ish think the books in the library are important?
(a) People will use them to rebuild civilization.
(b) They may need to burn them for fuel during winter.
(c) Reading and arithmetic will help the children survive the elements.
(d) He wants to learn from the mistakes of history.
2. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
(a) Domesticating the animals.
(b) Calculating how many of this type of animal are in the city.
(c) Killing as many of the animals as possible.
(d) Building defenses against the animals.
3. Why does Ish worry about being with Em at first?
(a) She doesn't seem to like him, she just wants a companion.
(b) She seems to have mental problems.
(c) She is older than he is.
(d) She might have a hidden sickness.
4. What does Ish notice is peculiar about one of the towns he visits on his drive home from Black Creek?
(a) His car is making a strange noise.
(b) An unfriendly, dirty man is yellilng at him.
(c) People are hiding in the courthouse.
(d) All the people are gone.
5. Where does Ish drive when he finds out Em is pregnant?
(a) To an old pharmacy.
(b) Back to Em's old house.
(c) To the library.
(d) To the hospital.
6. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
(a) Curiosity about his parents.
(b) The fear of death.
(c) Being an observer.
(d) The books he reads.
7. What instrument does Ish play in the "Year We Sang"?
(a) A harmonica.
(b) An accordion.
(c) A violin.
(d) A clarinet.
8. When Ish heads to the east coast, what does he attach to the back of his car?
(a) A trailer.
(b) A boat.
(c) A motorcycle.
(d) An American flag.
9. Why do Em and Ish decide to keep Princess in the house during the infestation?
(a) Because they have seen a strange man who won't speak with them.
(b) Because of something that Ish finds.
(c) For protection.
(d) Because they're afraid she will run away.
10. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant,
how does he manage to get inside?
(a) He chops the door off its hinges.
(b) He breaks in through a window.
(c) He finds a door that was left ajar.
(d) He finds an open window.
11. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
(a) A burning building.
(b) A blinking road sign.
(c) A dead body.
(d) Two children, walking alone.
12. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
(b) Beware of plague.
(c) Stay away.
13. While exploring the city, Ish meets a drunkard. What is the man's name?
14. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
(b) Any remaining people.
15. At the beginning of the book, why doesn't Ish know about the virus?
(a) Ish is in a coma.
(b) Ish is in the country doing research.
(c) Ish is camping on the beach and fishing.
(d) Ish is driving outside the city with his radio off.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
2. How many children did Em have before the virus?
3. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
4. When Ish decides to drive over the bridge, what sight prevents him from going to the other city?
5. Why does Em move to Ish's house?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)