|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ish think the books in the library are important?
(a) Reading and arithmetic will help the children survive the elements.
(b) People will use them to rebuild civilization.
(c) He wants to learn from the mistakes of history.
(d) They may need to burn them for fuel during winter.
2. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
(a) Building defenses against the animals.
(b) Domesticating the animals.
(c) Calculating how many of this type of animal are in the city.
(d) Killing as many of the animals as possible.
3. Who does Ish meet when he is loading up his station wagon for his cross-country trip?
(a) A woman who asks to accompany him.
(b) An angry crowd.
(c) A crazy man.
(d) A dog.
4. Why does Ish worry about being with Em at first?
(a) She doesn't seem to like him, she just wants a companion.
(b) She seems to have mental problems.
(c) She is older than he is.
(d) She might have a hidden sickness.
5. In the Quick Years, which new discovery or hobby causes the children to be so delighted
they name Year Ten after it?
6. While Ish is traveling to the east coast, he kills an animal, eating its liver afterward. What kind of animal does Ish kill?
7. What is the name of Ish and Em's second child?
8. At the beginning of the book, why doesn't Ish know about the virus?
(a) Ish is in the country doing research.
(b) Ish is in a coma.
(c) Ish is camping on the beach and fishing.
(d) Ish is driving outside the city with his radio off.
9. Who rescued Evie when she was living alone?
10. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
(b) Any remaining people.
11. During the Quick Years, the community tries to start a church. From what "church" does Maurine think Ish gets his ideas?
(a) The Methodist Church.
(b) The Skeptic Church.
(c) The Church of Christ.
(d) The Catholic Church.
12. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to
(a) Contaminated water.
(b) Rotten food.
(c) A rat infestation.
(d) A visitor.
13. In Year Sixteen, what do Mary and Ralph decide to do?
(a) Get married.
(b) Go look for other people.
(c) Run away from home.
(d) Start a new village.
14. In Year Eleven, Molly is the first person to have this happen to her:
(a) Has several gray hairs.
(b) Goes through menopause.
(c) Has a child die at birth.
(d) Has a tooth removed.
15. What does Em think of Princess?
(a) She wants to keep her for herself.
(b) That she needs to stay somewhere else.
(c) That she is beautiful.
(d) She can't stand her.
Short Answer Questions
1. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
2. What instrument does Ish play in the "Year We Sang"?
3. In Year Five, the people create a "national pastime" out of avoiding what type of animal?
4. What natural disaster occurs in Year Twenty?
5. Where does Ish drive when he finds out Em is pregnant?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)