|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Em demonstrate to Ish that children are necessary?
(a) She lights a match and blows it out.
(b) She shows him old pictures of her family.
(c) She digs the roots out of a rose bush.
(d) She shows him how hard it is to work the garden alone.
2. How does Ish find Em?
(a) Following her through the streets.
(b) Following a map.
(c) Following a handwritten sign on a post.
(d) Following a light.
3. While Ish is traveling to the east coast, he kills an animal, eating its liver afterward. What kind of animal does Ish kill?
4. What animal does Ish see running in the highway after the virus strikes?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A goat.
(d) A horse.
5. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to
(a) A visitor.
(b) A rat infestation.
(c) Rotten food.
(d) Contaminated water.
6. What type of animal begins to invade the city after Ish and Em find one another?
(c) Feral cats.
(d) Wild dogs.
7. While living alone, what book does Ish begin reading that makes him uneasy?
(a) Huckleberry Finn.
(b) The Koran.
(c) Arabian Nights.
(d) The Bible.
8. When Ish heads to the east coast, what does he attach to the back of his car?
(a) A motorcycle.
(b) A boat.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A trailer.
9. Who does Ish meet when he is loading up his station wagon for his cross-country trip?
(a) A woman who asks to accompany him.
(b) An angry crowd.
(c) A dog.
(d) A crazy man.
10. How do Ish and Em decide to mark the years?
(a) By chiseling into a large rock.
(b) By marking the object Ish carries with him.
(c) By painting the pole of a streetsign outside their house.
(d) By keeping a diary.
11. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
(b) Beware of plague.
(d) Stay away.
12. While cruising through town, what does Ish see on the flashing neon sign that he equates to the progress and downfall of civilization?
(a) A galloping horse.
(b) A line of stars.
(c) A flashing hand of cards.
(d) The temperature.
13. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant,
how does he manage to get inside?
(a) He chops the door off its hinges.
(b) He breaks in through a window.
(c) He finds an open window.
(d) He finds a door that was left ajar.
14. Why does Ish think the books in the library are important?
(a) Reading and arithmetic will help the children survive the elements.
(b) People will use them to rebuild civilization.
(c) They may need to burn them for fuel during winter.
(d) He wants to learn from the mistakes of history.
15. What natural disaster occurs in Year Twenty?
(a) A landslide.
(b) A flood.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescued Evie when she was living alone?
2. In Year Sixteen, what do Mary and Ralph decide to do?
3. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
4. When Ish decides to drive over the bridge, what sight prevents him from going to the other city?
5. What can Joey do better than any of the other children?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)