|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ish is alone in the cabin, what disturbs him?
(a) A strong wind rocking the house.
(b) Wild dogs fighting outside at night.
(c) Two men coming inside.
(d) An explosion in the valley.
2. After Ish finds out Em is pregnant, what does he use to determine the end of the year?
(a) A chronograph.
(b) A dirty calendar.
(c) A surveyor's transit.
(d) A compass and a watch.
3. What does Em decide to call the First Year?
(a) Year of plenty.
(b) Year of the drought.
(c) Year of the baby.
(d) Year of the ox.
4. While Ish is traveling to the east coast, he kills an animal, eating its liver afterward. What kind of animal does Ish kill?
5. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) An elk.
(c) A fox.
(d) A deer.
6. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
(a) The fear of death.
(b) Curiosity about his parents.
(c) Being an observer.
(d) The books he reads.
7. In the second Quick Years, how does Ish predict the weather for the younger men?
(a) By how his body feels.
(b) With a barometer.
(c) With a device he invented.
(d) By the angle of the sun.
8. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
(c) Beware of plague.
(d) Stay away.
9. On his way back to town after his illness, what does Ish do when he reaches Johnson's?
(a) Pumps gas and leaves payment.
(b) Talks to the attendant.
(c) Steals from the register.
(d) Looks in the window and leaves.
10. Why do Em and Ish decide to keep Princess in the house during the infestation?
(a) Because they're afraid she will run away.
(b) Because of something that Ish finds.
(c) Because they have seen a strange man who won't speak with them.
(d) For protection.
11. When Ish heads to the east coast, what does he attach to the back of his car?
(a) An American flag.
(b) A motorcycle.
(c) A trailer.
(d) A boat.
12. When Ish is older, he looks up one day while sitting on the hill and realizes that something is different. What is it?
(a) New houses have been built.
(b) Ezra is gone.
(c) Josey is cooking him supper.
(d) His son's wife has twins.
13. What natural disaster occurs in Year Twenty?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A landslide.
(c) A flood.
(d) A fire.
14. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant,
how does he manage to get inside?
(a) He chops the door off its hinges.
(b) He finds a door that was left ajar.
(c) He finds an open window.
(d) He breaks in through a window.
15. Who rescued Evie when she was living alone?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job would Ish have had if the virus had never occurred?
2. While scavenging for food in his hometown, what item of food does Ish find to be inedible because of mice and weevils?
3. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
4. When Ish is older, the young men ask him questions. What do they do if Ish doesn't give them an answer quickly enough?
5. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)