|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Em move to Ish's house?
(a) He has a greater supply of food.
(b) He doesn't want to move his books.
(c) Her house is too small for all of them.
(d) He lives in a safer area of the city.
2. Why does Ish worry about being with Em at first?
(a) She seems to have mental problems.
(b) She is older than he is.
(c) She might have a hidden sickness.
(d) She doesn't seem to like him, she just wants a companion.
3. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
(a) Provide hot water and clean sheets.
(b) Read books about it.
(c) Find medicine.
(d) Stay away.
4. What does Em decide to call the First Year?
(a) Year of the ox.
(b) Year of plenty.
(c) Year of the baby.
(d) Year of the drought.
5. What does Ish notice is peculiar about one of the towns he visits on his drive home from Black Creek?
(a) His car is making a strange noise.
(b) All the people are gone.
(c) An unfriendly, dirty man is yellilng at him.
(d) People are hiding in the courthouse.
6. While Ish is traveling to the east coast, he kills an animal, eating its liver afterward. What kind of animal does Ish kill?
7. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
(a) A harsh winter is coming.
(b) Their water supply is low.
(c) There is a dangerous gang nearby.
(d) They don't know how to defend themselves.
8. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
(a) A crackling radio station.
(b) A newspaper headline.
(c) A handwritten note on a body.
(d) A thief.
9. How does Em demonstrate to Ish that children are necessary?
(a) She shows him how hard it is to work the garden alone.
(b) She lights a match and blows it out.
(c) She digs the roots out of a rose bush.
(d) She shows him old pictures of her family.
10. In Year Eleven, Molly is the first person to have this happen to her:
(a) Goes through menopause.
(b) Has a child die at birth.
(c) Has a tooth removed.
(d) Has several gray hairs.
11. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
(a) An elk.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A deer.
(d) A fox.
12. What animal does Ish see in his neighbor's yard that doesn't seem to belong there?
(a) A horse.
(b) A cow.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A goat.
13. When Ish stays with the couple that he meets in the eastern city, he finds they will not leave. Why does Ish think they won't leave?
(a) They can find everything they need within walking distance.
(b) They are afraid of the outside world.
(c) They're trying to restart the government.
(d) Their family is buried nearby.
14. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
(a) A blinking road sign.
(b) A dead body.
(c) A burning building.
(d) Two children, walking alone.
15. How many children did Em have before the virus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural disaster occurs in Year Twenty?
2. What is the name of Ish and Em's second child?
3. What type of animal begins to invade the city after Ish and Em find one another?
4. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant, how does he manage to get inside?
5. What insects invade Ish's home while he is living alone?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)