|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ish stays with the couple that he meets in the eastern city, he finds they will not leave. Why does Ish think they won't leave?
(a) Their family is buried nearby.
(b) They are afraid of the outside world.
(c) They can find everything they need within walking distance.
(d) They're trying to restart the government.
2. What does Ish become obsessed with doing while the city is being overrun by a certain kind of animal?
(a) Killing as many of the animals as possible.
(b) Calculating how many of this type of animal are in the city.
(c) Domesticating the animals.
(d) Building defenses against the animals.
3. What vegetable does Ish grow in his garden in Year Two of the Quick Years?
4. What does Ish start carrying with him for protection after meeting a pack of dogs in his hometown?
(a) A loud bullhorn.
(b) A firearm.
(c) A baseball bat.
(d) A hand-held radio.
5. On his trip back to his hometown from the east coast, Ish has to drive a long way around something. What causes Ish to detour?
(a) Massive wildfires.
(b) A man with a rifle.
(c) A flooded road.
(d) A broken bridge.
6. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
(a) There is a dangerous gang nearby.
(b) A harsh winter is coming.
(c) They don't know how to defend themselves.
(d) Their water supply is low.
7. While exploring the city, Ish finds a body hanging from a telephone pole. What does the sign say that is attached to the body?
(b) Beware of plague.
(c) Stay away.
8. What animal does Ish see running in the highway after the virus strikes?
(a) A horse.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A goat.
(d) A coyote.
9. Where does Ish drive when he finds out Em is pregnant?
(a) To the library.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To an old pharmacy.
(d) Back to Em's old house.
10. In the beginning, how does Ish go about finding other people?
(a) Waits at a grocery store.
(b) Puts up a flag.
(c) Honks his car horn.
(d) Shoots a pistol in the air.
11. How do Ish and Em decide to mark the years?
(a) By marking the object Ish carries with him.
(b) By chiseling into a large rock.
(c) By keeping a diary.
(d) By painting the pole of a streetsign outside their house.
12. What insects invade Ish's home while he is living alone?
13. When Ish decides to take a cross-country trip, what is the reason he decides to go?
(a) To find a safer place to live.
(b) To find his parents.
(c) To find other survivors.
(d) To find a friend he hopes survived.
14. What event occurs during the Year of Woodcarving that has a very
negative effect on Ish?
(a) The carpenter is crushed under an uneven house.
(b) One of the children mysteriously disappears.
(c) Princess dies.
(d) His favorite building burns down.
15. During Ish's trip to the east, he meets a small family in Arkansas. What are they doing?
(a) Raising animals and crops.
(b) Building a house.
(c) Trying to start a car.
(d) Traveling toward the coast.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
2. When Ish decides to drive over the bridge, what sight prevents him from going to the other city?
3. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to become ill?
4. In Year Sixteen, what do Mary and Ralph decide to do?
5. What does Em think of Princess?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)