|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Ish's trip to the east, he meets a small family in Arkansas. What are they doing?
(a) Raising animals and crops.
(b) Trying to start a car.
(c) Traveling toward the coast.
(d) Building a house.
2. What is the name of Ish and Em's second child?
3. How many children did Em have before the virus?
4. What instrument does Ish play in the "Year We Sang"?
(a) A harmonica.
(b) A clarinet.
(c) An accordion.
(d) A violin.
5. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
(a) He went through survival training in Wyoming.
(b) He was a boy scout.
(c) He is physically stronger than most people.
(d) He has always preferred to do things alone.
6. What vegetable does Ish grow in his garden in Year Two of the Quick Years?
7. At the beginning of the book, why doesn't Ish know about the virus?
(a) Ish is camping on the beach and fishing.
(b) Ish is driving outside the city with his radio off.
(c) Ish is in a coma.
(d) Ish is in the country doing research.
8. What do the older members of the community notice that
they think "pushes back the darkness" a little?
(a) The birth of children.
(b) The number of years everyone has survived.
(c) The sudden arrival of visitors.
(d) The progress in building the village.
9. On his trip back to his hometown from the east coast, Ish has to drive a long way around something. What causes Ish to detour?
(a) A man with a rifle.
(b) A broken bridge.
(c) Massive wildfires.
(d) A flooded road.
10. What animal does Ish see running in the highway after the virus strikes?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) A horse.
(c) A goat.
(d) A coyote.
11. When Ish heads to the east coast, what does he attach to the back of his car?
(a) A boat.
(b) A trailer.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A motorcycle.
12. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
(d) Size of the city.
13. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
(a) They don't know how to defend themselves.
(b) There is a dangerous gang nearby.
(c) A harsh winter is coming.
(d) Their water supply is low.
14. While exploring the city, Ish meets a drunkard. What is the man's name?
15. While cruising through town, what does Ish see on the flashing neon sign that he equates to the progress and downfall of civilization?
(a) A line of stars.
(b) The temperature.
(c) A galloping horse.
(d) A flashing hand of cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ish finds out Em is pregnant, what does he use to determine the end of the year?
2. What does Ish start carrying with him for protection after meeting a pack of dogs in his hometown?
3. Where does Ish drive when he finds out Em is pregnant?
4. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to become ill?
5. While living alone, what book does Ish begin reading that makes him uneasy?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)