|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Ish is alone in his house and pondering civilization, what does he decide he will never be?
(a) A god.
(b) A leader.
(c) A survivor.
(d) A murderer.
2. Who does Ish meet when he is loading up his station wagon for his cross-country trip?
(a) A woman who asks to accompany him.
(b) A dog.
(c) A crazy man.
(d) An angry crowd.
3. In Year Five, the people create a "national pastime" out of avoiding
what type of animal?
4. How does Ish find Em?
(a) Following a map.
(b) Following her through the streets.
(c) Following a light.
(d) Following a handwritten sign on a post.
5. During the Quick Years, the community tries to start a church. From what "church" does Maurine think Ish gets his ideas?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) The Skeptic Church.
(c) The Church of Christ.
(d) The Methodist Church.
6. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
(a) Being an observer.
(b) The books he reads.
(c) Curiosity about his parents.
(d) The fear of death.
7. What is the name of Ish and Em's second child?
8. What does Em think of Princess?
(a) She can't stand her.
(b) That she needs to stay somewhere else.
(c) That she is beautiful.
(d) She wants to keep her for herself.
9. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
(a) Find medicine.
(b) Read books about it.
(c) Provide hot water and clean sheets.
(d) Stay away.
10. How does Em demonstrate to Ish that children are necessary?
(a) She shows him old pictures of her family.
(b) She lights a match and blows it out.
(c) She shows him how hard it is to work the garden alone.
(d) She digs the roots out of a rose bush.
11. When Ish decides to drive over the bridge, what sight prevents him from going to the other city?
(a) A fallen road sign.
(b) A massive fire.
(c) An empty car
(d) A pile of bodies.
12. At the end of Chapter Two, Ish makes a list of the reasons he will survive better than many of the people he meets. Why does Ish believe he is better prepared to survive?
(a) He was a boy scout.
(b) He went through survival training in Wyoming.
(c) He is physically stronger than most people.
(d) He has always preferred to do things alone.
13. How do Ish and Em decide to mark the years?
(a) By keeping a diary.
(b) By marking the object Ish carries with him.
(c) By chiseling into a large rock.
(d) By painting the pole of a streetsign outside their house.
14. In the Quick Years, which new discovery or hobby causes the children to be so delighted
they name Year Ten after it?
15. Who rescued Evie when she was living alone?
Short Answer Questions
1. What event occurs during the Year of Woodcarving that has a very negative effect on Ish?
2. What can Joey do better than any of the other children?
3. What insects invade Ish's home while he is living alone?
4. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
5. During Ish's trip to the east, he meets a small family in Arkansas. What are they doing?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)