|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ish drive when he finds out Em is pregnant?
(a) Back to Em's old house.
(b) To the library.
(c) To an old pharmacy.
(d) To the hospital.
2. What vegetable does Ish grow in his garden in Year Two of the Quick Years?
3. In Year Nine, (The Year of the Deaths) what causes almost everyone to
(a) A visitor.
(b) A rat infestation.
(c) Contaminated water.
(d) Rotten food.
4. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
(a) Find medicine.
(b) Provide hot water and clean sheets.
(c) Read books about it.
(d) Stay away.
5. While cruising through town, what does Ish see on the flashing neon sign that he equates to the progress and downfall of civilization?
(a) A line of stars.
(b) The temperature.
(c) A flashing hand of cards.
(d) A galloping horse.
6. In the beginning, how does Ish go about finding other people?
(a) Puts up a flag.
(b) Honks his car horn.
(c) Waits at a grocery store.
(d) Shoots a pistol in the air.
7. What does Em think of Princess?
(a) She wants to keep her for herself.
(b) That she is beautiful.
(c) That she needs to stay somewhere else.
(d) She can't stand her.
8. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
(c) Any remaining people.
9. Why does Em move to Ish's house?
(a) He lives in a safer area of the city.
(b) He has a greater supply of food.
(c) Her house is too small for all of them.
(d) He doesn't want to move his books.
10. While living alone, what book does Ish begin reading that makes him uneasy?
(a) The Koran.
(b) Huckleberry Finn.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Arabian Nights.
11. After Ish finds out Em is pregnant, what does he use to determine the end of the year?
(a) A compass and a watch.
(b) A surveyor's transit.
(c) A chronograph.
(d) A dirty calendar.
12. What can Joey do better than any of the other children?
13. When pondering about mankind, Ish comes up with a definition for them. What definition does he use?
(a) The ravenous animal.
(b) The noise-producing animal.
(c) The world-killing animal.
(d) The diseased animal.
14. What animal does Ish see in his neighbor's yard that doesn't seem to belong there?
(a) A goat.
(b) A horse.
(c) A cow.
(d) A sheep.
15. At one point, Ish considers suicide, but there is one particular reason he decides not to kill himself. What gives Ish the will to live?
(a) Being an observer.
(b) The fear of death.
(c) The books he reads.
(d) Curiosity about his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. While driving back home after his cross-country trip, what animals does Ish notice have disappeared?
2. During Ish's trip to the east, he meets a small family in Arkansas. What are they doing?
3. On his trip back to his hometown from the east coast, Ish has to drive a long way around something. What causes Ish to detour?
4. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
5. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)