|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Year Sixteen, what do Mary and Ralph decide to do?
(a) Get married.
(b) Go look for other people.
(c) Run away from home.
(d) Start a new village.
2. In Year Five, the people create a "national pastime" out of avoiding
what type of animal?
3. When Ish is alone in the cabin, what disturbs him?
(a) Wild dogs fighting outside at night.
(b) An explosion in the valley.
(c) Two men coming inside.
(d) A strong wind rocking the house.
4. Why does Ish think the books in the library are important?
(a) They may need to burn them for fuel during winter.
(b) Reading and arithmetic will help the children survive the elements.
(c) He wants to learn from the mistakes of history.
(d) People will use them to rebuild civilization.
5. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
(a) A handwritten note on a body.
(b) A thief.
(c) A newspaper headline.
(d) A crackling radio station.
6. During Ish's trip to the east, he meets a small family in Arkansas. What are they doing?
(a) Raising animals and crops.
(b) Trying to start a car.
(c) Building a house.
(d) Traveling toward the coast.
7. What animal does Ish see running in the highway after the virus strikes?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A goat.
(d) A horse.
8. What does Ish find when he arrives home after his trip to the east coast?
(a) His note is untouched.
(b) Someone has been in his home.
(c) His parents left him a note.
(d) His door is broken.
9. In the Quick Years, which new discovery or hobby causes the children to be so delighted
they name Year Ten after it?
10. At the beginning of the book, why doesn't Ish know about the virus?
(a) Ish is driving outside the city with his radio off.
(b) Ish is camping on the beach and fishing.
(c) Ish is in a coma.
(d) Ish is in the country doing research.
11. How do Ish and Em decide to mark the years?
(a) By painting the pole of a streetsign outside their house.
(b) By chiseling into a large rock.
(c) By marking the object Ish carries with him.
(d) By keeping a diary.
12. While driving back home after his cross-country trip, what animals does Ish notice have disappeared?
(a) Cats and dogs.
(b) Deer and elk.
(c) Chickens and ducks.
(d) Snakes and other reptiles.
13. While Ish is traveling to the east coast, he kills an animal, eating its liver afterward. What kind of animal does Ish kill?
14. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant,
how does he manage to get inside?
(a) He finds an open window.
(b) He breaks in through a window.
(c) He finds a door that was left ajar.
(d) He chops the door off its hinges.
15. When pondering about mankind, Ish comes up with a definition for them. What definition does he use?
(a) The diseased animal.
(b) The noise-producing animal.
(c) The ravenous animal.
(d) The world-killing animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
2. What natural disaster occurs in Year Twenty?
3. What do the older members of the community notice that they think "pushes back the darkness" a little?
4. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
5. How does Em demonstrate to Ish that children are necessary?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)