|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ish call himself toward the end of the Quick Years?
(a) The Last American.
(b) The Great Father.
(c) A demigod.
(d) A man alone.
2. How do Ish and Em decide to mark the years?
(a) By marking the object Ish carries with him.
(b) By keeping a diary.
(c) By chiseling into a large rock.
(d) By painting the pole of a streetsign outside their house.
3. When Ish drives to a certain building after finding out Em is pregnant,
how does he manage to get inside?
(a) He finds a door that was left ajar.
(b) He breaks in through a window.
(c) He finds an open window.
(d) He chops the door off its hinges.
4. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
(a) Stays for several nights.
(b) Listens to a voice on the radio.
(c) Makes himself breakfast.
(d) Empties the jewelry cabinet.
5. What type of animal begins to invade the city after Ish and Em find one another?
(b) Feral cats.
(d) Wild dogs.
6. In the beginning, how does Ish go about finding other people?
(a) Waits at a grocery store.
(b) Puts up a flag.
(c) Shoots a pistol in the air.
(d) Honks his car horn.
7. What does Em decide to call the First Year?
(a) Year of the baby.
(b) Year of plenty.
(c) Year of the ox.
(d) Year of the drought.
8. While scavenging for food in his hometown, what item of food does Ish find to be inedible because of mice and weevils?
9. After Ish finds out Em is pregnant, what does he use to determine the end of the year?
(a) A chronograph.
(b) A surveyor's transit.
(c) A compass and a watch.
(d) A dirty calendar.
10. During the second Quick Years, what plant does the Tribe manage to grow?
11. What is the name of Ish and Em's second child?
12. In the second Quick Years, how does Ish predict the weather for the younger men?
(a) With a device he invented.
(b) By the angle of the sun.
(c) By how his body feels.
(d) With a barometer.
13. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
(a) Ish loses his watch.
(b) Em trips and hurts herself.
(c) The car won't start.
(d) Princess disappears.
14. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
(a) The car overheats.
(b) His friend wants out.
(c) He feels ill.
(d) He becomes lost.
15. Why does the Tribe decide to merge with the people across the bay?
(a) Because they know how to grow better food.
(b) Because they need more workers.
(c) Because they have boats and can fish.
(d) Because the young men need wives.
Short Answer Questions
1. After all the other original Tribe members die, what does Ezra compare the tribe to when he is talking to Ish on the hill?
2. On his way back to town after his illness, what does Ish do when he reaches Johnson's?
3. When pondering about mankind, Ish comes up with a definition for them. What definition does he use?
4. What illness does Ish suffer from as he becomes older?
5. While driving back home after his cross-country trip, what animals does Ish notice have disappeared?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)