|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his trip back to his hometown from the east coast, Ish has to drive a long way around something. What causes Ish to detour?
(a) A man with a rifle.
(b) Massive wildfires.
(c) A broken bridge.
(d) A flooded road.
2. What does Em say Ish can do to help her with childbirth?
(a) Provide hot water and clean sheets.
(b) Stay away.
(c) Find medicine.
(d) Read books about it.
3. What animal does Ish see running in the highway after the virus strikes?
(a) A goat.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A mountain lion.
(d) A horse.
4. In Year Five, the people create a "national pastime" out of avoiding
what type of animal?
5. What vegetable does Ish grow in his garden in Year Two of the Quick Years?
6. How many children did Em have before the virus?
7. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) An elk.
(c) A deer.
(d) A fox.
8. Out of all the people Ish finds at first, which of these is the most friendly?
(a) The little girl.
(b) The former lawyer.
(c) The hermit.
(d) The couple.
9. After Ish meets the family in Arkansas, the author talks about the fall of mankind. Who does the writer say will truly be saddened by the death of man?
(a) Any remaining people.
10. When Ish is alone in the cabin, what disturbs him?
(a) Two men coming inside.
(b) A strong wind rocking the house.
(c) Wild dogs fighting outside at night.
(d) An explosion in the valley.
11. What does Ish notice is peculiar about one of the towns he visits on his drive home from Black Creek?
(a) His car is making a strange noise.
(b) People are hiding in the courthouse.
(c) All the people are gone.
(d) An unfriendly, dirty man is yellilng at him.
12. After Ish finds out Em is pregnant, what does he use to determine the end of the year?
(a) A dirty calendar.
(b) A chronograph.
(c) A surveyor's transit.
(d) A compass and a watch.
13. At the beginning of the book, why doesn't Ish know about the virus?
(a) Ish is camping on the beach and fishing.
(b) Ish is driving outside the city with his radio off.
(c) Ish is in the country doing research.
(d) Ish is in a coma.
14. What instrument does Ish play in the "Year We Sang"?
(a) An accordion.
(b) A harmonica.
(c) A clarinet.
(d) A violin.
15. What does Em think of Princess?
(a) That she needs to stay somewhere else.
(b) That she is beautiful.
(c) She wants to keep her for herself.
(d) She can't stand her.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ish returns to the drunkard that he met in the city, the man ends up dying. What does Ish do with him ?
2. When Ish decides to drive over the bridge, what sight prevents him from going to the other city?
3. While scavenging for food in his hometown, what item of food does Ish find to be inedible because of mice and weevils?
4. What event occurs during the Year of Woodcarving that has a very negative effect on Ish?
5. After Ish and Em come together, something happens that makes Ish panic, but Em turns it into a game. What happens?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)