|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ish find when he arrives home after his trip to the east coast?
(a) Someone has been in his home.
(b) His parents left him a note.
(c) His note is untouched.
(d) His door is broken.
2. What insects invade Ish's home while he is living alone?
3. While exploring the city, Ish meets a drunkard. What is the man's name?
4. While driving home from Black Creek, what does Ish see on the side of the road?
(a) Two children, walking alone.
(b) A burning building.
(c) A dead body.
(d) A blinking road sign.
5. What does Em decide to call the First Year?
(a) Year of plenty.
(b) Year of the ox.
(c) Year of the baby.
(d) Year of the drought.
6. Why is Ish worried about the couple he stays with in the eastern city?
(a) There is a dangerous gang nearby.
(b) Their water supply is low.
(c) They don't know how to defend themselves.
(d) A harsh winter is coming.
7. On his way back to the city, Ish breaks into a fine home. What does he do while he is there?
(a) Empties the jewelry cabinet.
(b) Makes himself breakfast.
(c) Listens to a voice on the radio.
(d) Stays for several nights.
8. When Ish decides to drive over the bridge, what sight prevents him from going to the other city?
(a) A fallen road sign.
(b) A massive fire.
(c) A pile of bodies.
(d) An empty car
9. In Year Eleven, Molly is the first person to have this happen to her:
(a) Has several gray hairs.
(b) Has a tooth removed.
(c) Goes through menopause.
(d) Has a child die at birth.
10. Why does Ish think the books in the library are important?
(a) He wants to learn from the mistakes of history.
(b) People will use them to rebuild civilization.
(c) Reading and arithmetic will help the children survive the elements.
(d) They may need to burn them for fuel during winter.
11. While driving through the Mojave desert, why does Ish stop his car in the middle?
(a) The car overheats.
(b) His friend wants out.
(c) He becomes lost.
(d) He feels ill.
12. What animal does Ish see in his neighbor's yard that doesn't seem to belong there?
(a) A cow.
(b) A horse.
(c) A goat.
(d) A sheep.
13. While Ish is traveling to the east coast, he kills an animal, eating its liver afterward. What kind of animal does Ish kill?
14. What animal do the children see for the first time in Year Nineteen?
(a) An elk.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A fox.
(d) A deer.
15. How does Em demonstrate to Ish that children are necessary?
(a) She lights a match and blows it out.
(b) She shows him how hard it is to work the garden alone.
(c) She digs the roots out of a rose bush.
(d) She shows him old pictures of her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Em move to Ish's house?
2. How does Ish first find out about the virus?
3. What event occurs during the Year of Woodcarving that has a very negative effect on Ish?
4. When Ish arrives in a certain city in the east, ending his trip to that side of the country, what impresses him the most about the city?
5. Who does Ish meet when he is loading up his station wagon for his cross-country trip?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)