|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonio responds to the Duchess's proposal by saying that:
(a) He is above her position in society, but will think about her offer.
(b) He finds the idea laughable.
(c) He is not worthy of her, but loves and is devoted to her anyway.
(d) He cannot marry someone as old as she is.
2. What rumor is going around the castle and being told by the servants?
(a) That Bosola and the Duchess have secretly married.
(b) That a Swiss man was caught in the Duchess's chamber.
(c) That the Duchess has run away with a secret lover.
(d) That the Duchess has killed herself.
3. What does the Duchess say to Antonio after eating the fruit Bosola gave her?
(a) That she fears she is undone.
(b) That she is happy to be going on a trip.
(c) That she thinks her brothers will be arriving soon.
(d) That she no longer loves him.
4. What does Delio tell Julia about her husband?
(a) That he says their child is very sick, so she must return to Malfi.
(b) That he has hurried to Rome.
(c) That he and her sister are waiting for her at the market.
(d) That he also wants a divorce.
5. Why is Antonio afraid when the Duchess leaves so quickly after eating the fruit Bosola gave her?
(a) Because she is going into labor before she could be taken somewhere else.
(b) Because he thinks she is cheating on him with someone else.
(c) Because he doesn't want her to die.
(d) Because she might discover he is stealing her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Duchess first plans to speak with Antonio, she asks Cariola to:
2. What confirmed information does Bosola have in Act 2, Scene 2, that he didn't have before?
3. At the beginning of the play, we learn that the Duchess:
4. What does Bosola do upon finding Antonio's dropped item outside of the Duchess's door?
5. Once he learns the news, Ferdinand seems most focused on:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ferdinand not more admired by the people who work for him?
2. What reason does the Cardinal give for asking Pescara, Malateste, Roderigo, and Grisolan not to enter his brother's chambers? What is the real reason?
3. Why might Bosola have given Ferdinand the key to the Duchess's room?
4. How does the Duchess react when she sees her husband and children (supposedly) murdered?
5. Why did Bosola tell the Duchess's brothers about her baby being born?
6. Did Delio have a good reason to be worried that Antonio had been betrayed? Why or why not?
7. How does Antonio react to the news that the Duchess has had a baby?
8. Why does Antonio decide to marry the Duchess?
9. Does it seem in character for Delio to be offering money to Julia for her to become his mistress? Why or why not?
10. What reasons does Antonio have to be suspicious of Bosola?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)