|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Cardinal and Ferdinand tell the Duchess before they leave to go live abroad?
(a) That she must marry to reclaim her honor.
(b) That they will send for her within 3 months when they find a husband for her.
(c) That she should not marry.
(d) That they have already found a husband for her.
2. Why did Bosola think that he had proven that the Duchess was pregnant?
(a) Because he made her cry with a sad story.
(b) Because she couldn't run after him very quickly.
(c) Because she wouldn't accept a tight dress he gave her.
(d) Because she quickly ate the apricots he gave her.
3. What rumor about Antonio and the Duchess is circulating among the common people?
(a) That the Duchess is cruel and mean.
(b) That the Duchess is a prostitute.
(c) That the Duchess is very sick.
(d) That the Duchess has 2 husbands.
4. How does Bosola treat the old lady who he meets in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) With sadness and grief
(b) With surprise and excitement
(c) With manners and respect
(d) With contempt and rudeness
5. Where does Antonio send Delio?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, it becomes clear that Bosola thinks what of the Cardinal?
2. Which character is the Duchess's twin brother?
3. Why did Julia really come to Rome?
4. What does Delio ask Julia to do for him?
5. What do Antonio and the Duchess tease Cariola about when Act 3, Scene 2 opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duchess react when she sees her husband and children (supposedly) murdered?
2. What do you think of the fact that Bosola still does not know who the father of the Duchess's children is?
3. Describe what the reader first knows about the Duchess.
4. What does the birth of the Duchess's son mean?
5. Both Ferdinand and the Cardinal react strongly to the news of their sister's baby. Who reacts in a more gruesome manner? Please refer to the text in your answer.
6. Can Antonio's nosebleed can be seen as an omen? Why or why not?
7. Why does Antonio decide to marry the Duchess?
8. Who is the symbol of hope for the future at the conclusion of the play?
9. What unique literary device does Webster use to convey what is happening when the Cardinal resigns?
10. Why does Ferdinand leave the dagger with the Duchess?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)