|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bosola think that he had proven that the Duchess was pregnant?
(a) Because she quickly ate the apricots he gave her.
(b) Because he made her cry with a sad story.
(c) Because she wouldn't accept a tight dress he gave her.
(d) Because she couldn't run after him very quickly.
2. Cariola is:
(a) The Cardinal's secret lover
(b) Antonio's daughter
(c) The Duchess's assistant
(d) Ferdinand's wife
3. What key information does Bosola still not understand by the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) That the Duchess and Antonio are married.
(b) That Antonio knows he is a spy for the Duchess's brothers.
(c) That the Duchess has fled in the night.
(d) That Antonio is stealing the Duchess's money.
4. What sound was supposedly heard from the Duchess's room that caused Bosola to be suspicious?
(b) Lots of women's laughter
(c) A shriek
(d) A cry from someone asking to be set free
5. When the Duchess leaves after eating the fruit Bosola gave her, she is feeling:
(a) Very energetic
(b) Very sleepy
(c) Not very well at all
(d) Very happy
Short Answer Questions
1. What first causes Bosola to be suspicious of Antonio?
2. Ferdinand's behavior upon hearing the news foreshadows:
3. Antonio first describes the Duchess as:
4. What does Ferdinand vow as Act 3, Scene 1 concludes?
5. What prized possession does Antonio entrust with Delio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Antonio have to be suspicious of Bosola?
2. Should Antonio and the Duchess have separated? Why or why not?
3. Why does Antonio lock up the palace?
4. Both Ferdinand and the Cardinal react strongly to the news of their sister's baby. Who reacts in a more gruesome manner? Please refer to the text in your answer.
5. What does Bosola tell a servant to do with Antonio's body? Why might he have given these instructions?
6. How does Ferdinand react when Bosola tells him that the Duchess has been murdered?
7. What reason does the Cardinal give for asking Pescara, Malateste, Roderigo, and Grisolan not to enter his brother's chambers? What is the real reason?
8. In Act 3, is Ferdinand still angry about the Duchess's children after all of these years?
9. How do the pilgrims respond to the news of the Duchess's marriage to Antonio, and their consequent banishment?
10. Why are there so many rumors flying around the palace in Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)