|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound was supposedly heard from the Duchess's room that caused Bosola to be suspicious?
(a) A cry from someone asking to be set free
(b) A shriek
(c) Lots of women's laughter
2. What does Ferdinand promise to do upon hearing the news?
(a) Send money to the Duchess.
(b) Kill the Duchess, her lover, and her child .
(c) Visit the Duchess as soon as possible.
(d) Never speak to the Duchess again.
3. What is/are the gender(s) of the Duchess's child(ren)?
(a) Two boys and one girl
(b) Two boys
(c) Two boys and two girls
(d) One girl, but she died
4. Initially, who is the Duchess is engaged to marry:
(c) the Cardinal
(d) No one
5. Cariola is:
(a) Ferdinand's wife
(b) The Duchess's assistant
(c) The Cardinal's secret lover
(d) Antonio's daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does Antonio give to Bosola about Bosola's excuse for being out of his room?
2. What does Antonio do to make sure no one knows what is happening with the Duchess?
3. What does Delio tell Julia about her husband?
4. What rumor about Antonio and the Duchess is circulating among the nobility?
5. What does Delio tell Antonio about Ferdinand's anger over his sister's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Both Ferdinand and the Cardinal react strongly to the news of their sister's baby. Who reacts in a more gruesome manner? Please refer to the text in your answer.
2. After Antonio bans Bosola from entering the Duchess's chamber, Antonio drops a paper. Does he drop this paper on accident or on purpose? Why?
3. What reasons does Antonio have to be suspicious of Bosola?
4. Why did Ferdinand responded the way he did when the Duchess told him that she thought his warning was rehearsed?
5. What does the Duchess think about her brothers' declaration that she should not marry? What does she do after they leave?
6. Is the Cardinal well respected by Bosola? Why or why not?
7. Because the Duchess did, in fact, disobey Ferdinand and the Cardinal, how does Ferdinand decide to punish her?
8. Why are there so many rumors flying around the palace in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Describe what the reader first knows about the Duchess.
10. What does the Cardinal gain by becoming a soldier and resigning from the church?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)