|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Antonio find Bosola out of his room, what happens to Antonio when he confronts Bosola?
(a) His stomach starts to hurt.
(b) He gets a nosebleed.
(c) He faints.
(d) He starts coughing uncontrollably.
2. What does Bosola suspect is "wrong" with the Duchess?
(a) That she is going to run away.
(b) That she is planning to join a nunnery.
(c) That she is spending lots of money in secret.
(d) That she is pregnant.
3. What rumor about Antonio and the Duchess is circulating among the nobility?
(a) That Antonio has several wives.
(b) That Antonio is cheating the Duchess out of her money.
(c) That Antonio is stealing from the church.
(d) That Antonio has murdered someone.
4. Antonio and Delio are:
(c) Father and son
(d) Good friends
5. When Ferdinand returns to the Duchess's court and speaks with her about her children, what does the Duchess think?
(a) That Antonio has been arrested.
(b) That he will lend her money for her children.
(c) That he is going to kill her later.
(d) That everything is in the open about her marriage and children.
6. Once he learns the news, Ferdinand seems most focused on:
(a) Supporting his sister.
(b) Going to see his sister so he can celebrate with her.
(d) Figuring out who is going to pay to raise the baby.
7. What does Delio tell Julia about her husband?
(a) That he has hurried to Rome.
(b) That he also wants a divorce.
(c) That he says their child is very sick, so she must return to Malfi.
(d) That he and her sister are waiting for her at the market.
8. What first causes Bosola to be suspicious of Antonio?
(a) Antonio's refusal to answer any questions.
(b) A large package Antonio is carrying beneath a blanket.
(c) The old lady Antonio is talking to.
(d) Antonio's sweating even though it is cold.
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, which of the following men is described as very honest?
(b) The Cardinal
10. Antonio accuses Cariola of:
(a) Stealing money from the Duchess.
(b) Stealing money from the church.
(c) Betraying him and the Duchess.
(d) Having an affair with Delio.
11. Cariola is:
(a) Ferdinand's wife
(b) The Cardinal's secret lover
(c) Antonio's daughter
(d) The Duchess's assistant
12. How much time has passed between Act 2 and Act 3?
(a) Several years
(b) A few moments
(c) Two months
(d) One month
13. What two main characters are wandering around the palace in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Bosola and the Duchess
(b) Antonio and Bosola
(c) Bosola and the Cardinal
(d) Antonio and the Duchess
14. What does Delio tell Antonio to ease his fears after the Duchess eats the fruit Bosola gave her?
(a) That he'll still get the Duchess's money, even if she dies.
(b) That he worries too much about everything.
(c) To tell others that the Duchess is sick from Bosola's "poisoned" apricots.
(d) That he'll start spying on the Duchess and tell Antonio what he learns.
15. When Delio is proposing an arrangement between himself and Julia, what does he offer Julia for her service?
(a) A jewel-encrusted dagger
(d) A new palace
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bosola treat the Old Lady when he catches her in a hurry?
2. What does the Cardinal try to do to Ferdinand?
3. Why is the Old Lady in such a hurry?
4. In Act Three, who does Ferdinand tell the Duchess she must marry?
5. Initially, who is the Duchess is engaged to marry:
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)