|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antonio announce has been stolen from the Duchess's chamber?
(a) Her family dagger
(b) Her secret legal papers
(c) Expensive jewels
(d) Her baby
2. How does Bosola treat the old lady who he meets in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) With manners and respect
(b) With contempt and rudeness
(c) With sadness and grief
(d) With surprise and excitement
3. What does Cariola declare after the wedding?
(a) That Antonio will be a great father, and the Duchess a great mother.
(b) That the Duchess is a great woman, but that she pities her.
(c) That the Duchess married well, because Antonio is very rich.
(d) That the Duchess is too young to marry.
4. How many children does the Duchess have when Act 3 opens?
(d) One, but it died
5. Ferdinand believes the Duchess's reputation is ruined because:
(a) No one knows she is married, so it doesn't matter if she's secretly married or not.
(b) She is out of money.
(c) She has had so many children so young.
(d) Antonio has been stealing from her, and she never figured it out.
6. When the Duchess first plans to speak with Antonio, she asks Cariola to:
(a) Go start cooking dinner for everyone.
(b) Leave the building.
(c) Hide behind a curtain.
(d) Fix her hair and make-up.
7. Cariola's statement after the wedding can be seen as foreshadowing what?
(a) That the Duchess's youth will prevent the couple from being happy.
(b) The trouble that will come from the secrecy of the marriage.
(c) How many kids the Duchess and Antonio will have.
(d) That the happy new couple will soon become very wealthy.
8. The Duchess hires Bosola as:
(a) Her horseman/stable keeper
(b) Her guard
(c) Her personal assistant
(d) Her chef
9. What does the Duchess say to Antonio after eating the fruit Bosola gave her?
(a) That she thinks her brothers will be arriving soon.
(b) That she no longer loves him.
(c) That she fears she is undone.
(d) That she is happy to be going on a trip.
10. Ferdinand's behavior upon hearing the news foreshadows:
(a) His financial ruin.
(b) His death from the plague.
(c) His coming madness
(d) His repentance.
11. What does Delio ask Julia to do for him?
(a) Run away with him.
(b) Murder the Cardinal.
(c) Spy on Ferdinand.
(d) Become his mistress.
12. Antonio accuses Cariola of:
(a) Stealing money from the church.
(b) Betraying him and the Duchess.
(c) Having an affair with Delio.
(d) Stealing money from the Duchess.
13. In Act 2, Scene 2, what major secret does Bosola still not know?
(a) Nothing: Bosola knows all the secrets of everyone.
(b) That the Duchess had twins.
(c) That Antonio is stealing the Duchess's money.
(d) That Antonio and the Duchess are secretly married.
14. In an effort to protect Antonio, the Duchess lies about what?
(a) That he has been stealing from her.
(b) That he does terrible work around the palace.
(c) That he spoke ill of her.
(d) That he has murdered someone in the palace.
15. When Delio and Julia are talking about a potential arrangement between themsevles, who walks in and interrupts?
(a) The Cardinal
(b) Julia's sister
(c) Julia's husband
(d) Julia's servant
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, it becomes clear that Bosola thinks what of the Cardinal?
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 3, who does the Duchess tell that she is secretly married to Antonio?
3. The Duchess and Antonio decide to get married because:
4. After Antonio confronts Bosola outside of the Duchess's room, what does he drop as he walks away from Bosola?
5. What does Ferdinand promise to do upon hearing the news?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)