|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the bronze dragon that Menolly rode in on?
2. What did the fire lizards react to?
3. What is the name of the gold fire lizard?
4. What can fire lizards do that dragons do?
5. Who is Menolly the daughter of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pona's uncle suggest that the weyrmen should be going?
2. What did Menolly observe about the way people ate at the dining hall?
3. Who is Master Harper Robinton the son of, and why did this surprise Menolly?
4. Why does Menolly avoid mentioning the amount of fire lizards she Impressed?
5. How did the boys at the Harper Hall act differently from those at the Half Sea Hold?
6. Who was supposed to give Menolly her first lesson for the day, and how was she to have been told?
7. How did all the other Masters aside from Master Morshal treat Menolly?
8. Why were the other girls mad at Menolly?
9. What was the positive outcome to Pona's vicious attack on Menolly behind her back?
10. In what way was Dunca's reaction to Menolly feeding her fire lizards hypocritical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the insatiable envy of the people of the Harpers Hall for Menolly and her way of life. How is her way of life a happy accident, and therefore nothing to be proud of? What kinds of things might they not have envied if they would have known her past?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which the Masterharper and Silvina provide the much needed parental love that Menolly has been lacking. In what ways is this so desperately needed by Menolly? Speculate on how she would fare without this influence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss music as a tool for affecting change. In what way can music inspire a person? What affect does music have on a population? Describe the different affects of music depending on the type of music. What kinds of music would you listen to to promote intelligence for example? Why?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)