|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was strange for Menolly not to smell?
2. What Master finally realized that Menolly's fire lizards reacted to her emotion?
3. How were girls treated at the Harper Hall?
4. Which character has not shown Menolly kindness?
5. Where did Master Shonagar tell Menolly to sing from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was supposed to give Menolly her first lesson for the day, and how was she to have been told?
2. Why was Menolly's arrival at the Harper Craft Hall a triumphal success?
3. What are the two possible ways Camo could react to Piemur feeding the fire lizards?
4. Why did Menolly wish that she could go between?
5. What was the positive outcome to Pona's vicious attack on Menolly behind her back?
6. What startled Menolly about the way Master Jerint was addressed by the stocky man who was wearing faded journeyman's markings?
7. What does it mean to 'rank' someone?
8. How did Menolly imagine life in the Harper Hall?
9. Why does Menolly sigh when Piemur explains what it means to 'walk the tables'?
10. How did the boys at the Harper Hall act differently from those at the Half Sea Hold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Robinton react to the hatching of his fire lizard? What did he learn from it, and how could it pose as a great boon to him? How is this a whole new world for him, and yet how can it serve him within the confines of Masterharper?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Menolly like a deep resonating drum, and why did she have to make a drum with a thin, sharp sound? How does this fit in with what Menolly already knows and her experience in life already? In what way is life at the Harper Hall apt to be different?
Essay Topic 3
DIscuss how Pona facilitated growth in Menolly. Use Menolly's reactions to Pona throughout the novel for how to illustrate an illuminate the growth that Menolly has undergone.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)