|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the bronze dragon that Menolly rode in on?
2. What is the problem of the girls?
3. Why did Beauty keep staring at Piemur?
4. What was the unexpected mercy?
5. Which fire lizard's voice soared above the male apprentices?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why couldn't Menolly run away from the throng of people?
2. Where does Pona's uncle suggest that the weyrmen should be going?
3. What was strange to Menolly about the closings on the doors?
4. Why would the fire lizards eat pretty much any time?
5. Why were the other girls mad at Menolly?
6. Why did Menolly find little to criticize in the fire lizards' singing?
7. Why did Menolly berate herself in her previous Hold?
8. Why was rehearsal usually fun?
9. Why was Menolly's arrival at the Harper Craft Hall a triumphal success?
10. What seems to be the attitude of Master Morshal's opinion of women as harpers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Menolly may have fared had she not had her fire lizards. How are they a background force that help Menolly to succeed within the Harper Craft Hall?
Essay Topic 2
DIscuss how Pona facilitated growth in Menolly. Use Menolly's reactions to Pona throughout the novel for how to illustrate an illuminate the growth that Menolly has undergone.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which the Masterharper and Silvina provide the much needed parental love that Menolly has been lacking. In what ways is this so desperately needed by Menolly? Speculate on how she would fare without this influence.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)