|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What horrified Menolly about what Master Oldive said?
2. What did Master Jerint do that Beauty liked?
3. What did Menolly see in the Masterharper's face when it was unguarded and immobile?
4. Why did the boys want Menolly to stay with them?
5. What are the names of the green fire lizards?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Menolly expect that her parents were unappreciative of her music?
2. Who was pleased to see the confounded expression on the face of Audiva and why was she confused?
3. Why didn't Menolly continue talking to the obviously friendly Audiva?
4. How did the boys at the Harper Hall act differently from those at the Half Sea Hold?
5. What startled Menolly about the way Master Jerint was addressed by the stocky man who was wearing faded journeyman's markings?
6. In what way was Dunca's reaction to Menolly feeding her fire lizards hypocritical?
7. How did all the other Masters aside from Master Morshal treat Menolly?
8. Why does Menolly sigh when Piemur explains what it means to 'walk the tables'?
9. What seems to be the attitude of Master Morshal's opinion of women as harpers?
10. What was strange to Menolly about the closings on the doors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speculate on what might have occurred if Menolly didn't have such good friends in Piemur and in Camo. How does Menolly maintain these friendships? What are these people's initial reasons for liking her? If this impetus was removed, do you think Menolly would be able maintain her friendships? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did Menolly view life in a Harper Hall, and how was it in actuality, different? How is this an open expression by the author of Menolly's innocence? How is her view of the Harper hall in actuality, and what does this represent? In what way is Menolly's outlook still very innocent?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the way of life of the people of the Sea Hold, and those in the Harper Hall. Which one is more difficult and why? Which one takes the most amount of stress and concentration to operate? Why is this?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)