|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do dragons get matched with their human companions?
2. Who is Brekke fostering?
3. What has replaced drums for long distance messages?
4. What does F'lar do about dragon breeding that the oldtimers don't like?
5. How is breakfast summoned in the Smithcrafthall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is F'nor and Canth sleepy?
2. What does Terry tell F'lar about the old records and what does F'lar suggest?
3. What does F'nor think about Brekke and why?
4. When the eggs begin to hatch what does Kylara tell Meron and his men?
5. What is Lord Groghe having his people do and why? What is he ignoring by doing this but what obligation does he fulfill?
6. What does F'lar say they must do in order for Pern to survive?
7. What do the adults who find Jaxom and Felessan find and see when they go in the room where the boys are found?
8. Where is F'lar going at the beginning of Chapter 2, and why? Why does he have to travel so far?
9. What does Kylara tell Meron about the fire lizards?
10. How do Kylara and Prideth feel about T'bor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jaxom, the 12-year-old Lord of Ruatha, is overwhelmed by all he must know, do, and understand to please Lytol, his Warder. Jaxom often hides just to think. Jaxom has never seen his parents and knows that Lessa is the last of the Ruathan blood. He does not understand these things but knows he must.
1. Do you think too much is expected of Jaxom, considering his age? Why or why not?
2. How would you feel if you were Jaxom? What would you do to make your life better?
3. Based on your exposure to Jaxom thus far do you think he will make a good Lord Holder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Brekke wants to know why women cannot Impress fighting dragons. She has Mirrim in mind and thinks this is not revolutionary, for hatchlings find craft and farm boys are acceptable. F'nor disagrees.
1. Do you think women should be able to impress fighting dragons? Why or why not?
2. In 1971 when this book was published, women were not allowed in any job in the U.S. military that involved combat. That has now changed. Do you think the change is for the better? Why or why not?
3. Given the publishing date of 1971, before most women's movements in the U.S. were strong, how do you think the book might have been different had it been written in 1991?
Essay Topic 3
F'lar wants to encourage open mating flights by exchanging dragons to strengthen the breed and by rotating wings. D'ram cautions against excessive innovation.
1. Why do you think D'ram is wary of too many changes?
2. Do you agree with F'lar about the changes he wants to implement? Why or why not?
3. How do you think leaders in a society should introduce change? What are some of the changes introduced in America the past few years?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)