|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terry say the Oldtimers only remember?
2. Where do Felessan and Jaxom go when they run off?
3. Why is there no cook at the Smithcrafthall?
4. Where does F'lar suggest help translating old records might be found?
5. In what weyr does Kylara live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lord Groghe having his people do and why? What is he ignoring by doing this but what obligation does he fulfill?
2. What does Kylara tell Meron about the fire lizards?
3. Where and how does Felessan take Jaxom when Jaxom visits Benden Weyr?
4. What does Ramoth hear at the beginning of Chapter 3 and what does she do?
5. What does F'lar say they must do in order for Pern to survive?
6. How is F'nor stabbed?
7. Describe the fight against Thread in Chapter 3.
8. What does Jaxom notice about the weyrs when the boys are lost and what do they find?
9. What does F'lar observe about the fire lizards?
10. What are some of the changes F'lar has implemented about dragons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
F'nor and Canth jump to the Red star. They burst out into screaming agony as burning tornadic winds wrench, slam, and tumble them.
1. Why do you think F'nor went to the Red star? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If you had been F'nor what would you have done?
3. Do you think F'nor is a hero or just plain dumb? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
They must bring the Oldtimers forward and not get bogged down in small issues. They must reconcile old and new and use the current crisis to their advantage.
1. This statement seems to be saying that Pern cannot survive unless they set aside differences and work together. Do you think this is a true statement? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. How do you think this type of sentiment might apply to America today? Use examples from current news to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Kylara recalls her mother being used sexually and cast aside by Lord Telgar and reflects on being saved from such a fate by a Search and being matched with Prideth. They love one another completely.
1. Why do you think the relationship between Prideth and Kylara is so important to Kylara in view of her childhood?
2. Discuss the ways in which you think Kylara's personality was formed by what happened to her mother and her.
3. Do you think someone can change themselves if she/he has been affected badly as a child? Why or why not?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)