|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major weather event occurs while Mina is visiting Lucy?
2. What happens to Mr. Hawkins shortly after Harker and Mina return from abroad?
3. When Dracula and Harker first stay up all night talking, what causes Dracula to abruptly end the conversation?
4. What does Harker do when he realizes the Count is away from his home during Harker's captivity?
5. Who volunteers to help with Lucy's second medical treatment at the hands of Professor Van Helsing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major physical changes does Lucy go through right before her death?
2. What disturbing sight does Harker see outside of his window during his captivity at Dracula's home?
3. What happens to Lucy's mother after Van Helsing's telegram goes astray?
4. What about Lucy's nighttime behavior during Mina's visit is so troubling?
5. Where is Lucy and Mina's favorite place to sit?
6. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
7. How does Harker react to the innkeeper's wife's gift for protection when she learns he is on a journey to see Count Dracula?
8. What features of Dracula's new home in England create a sense of foreboding and unease for both Harker and the reader?
9. What does Van Helsing hint to Seward that Lucy's troubles aren't over even after she dies?
10. What initial impression does Dr. Seward's description of Mr. Renfield leave with the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, a fair-haired female vampire accuses Dracula of being incapable of loving. Present an argument that supports or refutes this statement, making sure to use at least three examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
The use of religious symbols -- such as crucifixes and holy wafers -- are present throughout the novel. Discuss the role of religion (and of Christianity in particular) in "Dracula".
Essay Topic 3
Pick two seemingly minor characters in the novel (such as Renfield and Mr. Swales) and discuss how Stoker uses them in at least three ways to contribute to the novel.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)