Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major weather event occurs while Mina is visiting Lucy?
2. How is St. George's Day first described in the novel?
3. How does Stoker convey the events of what happens in Chapter 1?
4. What has Mr. Hawkins asked Dracula to deliver to Harker on his behalf?
5. What activity does Lucy begin to do at night during Mina's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lucy's mother after Van Helsing's telegram goes astray?
2. Who ultimately kills vampire Lucy?
3. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
4. What does Van Helsing say needs to be done to Lucy in order for her to be set freed from being a vampire?
5. What does Harker tell Mina that his experience at Dracula's castle done to him?
6. What does the mark on Mina's head from the holy wafer symbolize?
7. What favors does Mina ask of the team before they depart to meet Dracula's ship after she has been bitten?
8. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
9. What tools does Mina use to deduce where Dracula goes once he is back on land?
10. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast one virtuous (by Victorian standards) female character with another non-virtuous female character from "Dracula". Keep in mind that the vampire version of a character can be compared and contrasted with her non-vampire self.
Essay Topic 2
One of the recurring themes in the novel is the conflict between good and evil. Is Dracula a truly evil character? Does he have any redeeming or good qualities? Present an argument supporting or arguing against Dracula being a purely bad character, making sure to cite specific details from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper that critically examines what happens to Lucy in the novel. Is her murder justified? Could her death even be considered a murder? Was it the only option? Was it an act of love or an act of despair -- or both? Would you have done the same thing to her? Would you have wanted your life to end the way hers did?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)