Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major weather event occurs while Mina is visiting Lucy?
2. How is St. George's Day first described in the novel?
3. How does Stoker convey the events of what happens in Chapter 1?
4. What has Mr. Hawkins asked Dracula to deliver to Harker on his behalf?
5. What activity does Lucy begin to do at night during Mina's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lucy's mother after Van Helsing's telegram goes astray?
2. Who ultimately kills vampire Lucy?
3. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
4. What does Van Helsing say needs to be done to Lucy in order for her to be set freed from being a vampire?
5. What does Harker tell Mina that his experience at Dracula's castle done to him?
6. What does the mark on Mina's head from the holy wafer symbolize?
7. What favors does Mina ask of the team before they depart to meet Dracula's ship after she has been bitten?
8. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
9. What tools does Mina use to deduce where Dracula goes once he is back on land?
10. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
Essay Topic 1
One of the novel's major themes is the conflict between the traditional and the modern. Choose three characters or events and explain, using evidence from the text, how they represent this conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast one virtuous (by Victorian standards) female character with another non-virtuous female character from "Dracula". Keep in mind that the vampire version of a character can be compared and contrasted with her non-vampire self.
Essay Topic 3
Complete a character analysis of Quincey Morris, listing three literary devices that Stoker uses to develop his character. Make sure to discuss Morris' death in your essay.
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)