|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Harker realize he is Dracula's prisoner at the end of Chapter 2?
2. Where does Count Dracula live?
3. Who is forbidden to kiss Lucy right before she dies?
4. What does Van Helsing place around Lucy's neck during and after her treatment?
5. Who volunteers to help with Lucy's third medical treatment at the hands of Professor Van Helsing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harker tell Mina that his experience at Dracula's castle done to him?
2. What is the reason behind Van Helsing's decision to put garlic up around Lucy's room?
3. How does Harker react to the innkeeper's wife's gift for protection when she learns he is on a journey to see Count Dracula?
4. What does the fair-haired female vampire accuse Dracula of when he stops her from biting Harker after he is nearly seduced during Dracula's absence?
5. Who is Mr. Swales?
6. What does Harker find suspicious about his meals during his initial visit to Dracula's home?
7. What extraordinary power does Count Dracula's driver seem to have?
8. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
9. What was the West's view of Eastern Europe at the time Dracula was written?
10. Which two characters are under Dracula's mind control at the time that Harker is committed to the Budapest hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Stoker presents very strict, complicated ways of killing vampires -- and yet Dracula's own death doesn't seem to abide by these rules. Write an essay that addresses this complicated ending and what experience it leaves the reader with at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The tone of "Dracula" can often be described as dark, tense, and foreboding. Discuss what a tone like this does to the reader and three literary devices Stoker uses throughout the text to create such a consistent tone.
Essay Topic 3
Pick two seemingly minor characters in the novel (such as Renfield and Mr. Swales) and discuss how Stoker uses them in at least three ways to contribute to the novel.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)