|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dracula force Harker to say in the letter he must write during his captivity?
2. How does Harker deal with realizing he is being held captive by Dracula?
3. What living things does Renfield eat?
4. What are Lucy and Mina writing letters about before Harker returns to town?
5. What is the source of Seward's depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What initial impression does Dr. Seward's description of Mr. Renfield leave with the reader?
2. How does Dracula respond to the crucifix Harker wears around his neck?
3. What does Van Helsing hint to Seward that Lucy's troubles aren't over even after she dies?
4. What happens to Lucy's mother after Van Helsing's telegram goes astray?
5. Which two characters are under Dracula's mind control at the time that Harker is committed to the Budapest hospital?
6. How does Lucy respond to the transfusions that Van Helsing orders?
7. What major physical changes does Lucy go through right before her death?
8. What causes Renfield's outbursts as Lucy lies dying?
9. What was the West's view of Eastern Europe at the time Dracula was written?
10. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the recurring themes in the novel is the conflict between good and evil. Is Dracula a truly evil character? Does he have any redeeming or good qualities? Present an argument supporting or arguing against Dracula being a purely bad character, making sure to cite specific details from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper that critically examines what happens to Lucy in the novel. Is her murder justified? Could her death even be considered a murder? Was it the only option? Was it an act of love or an act of despair -- or both? Would you have done the same thing to her? Would you have wanted your life to end the way hers did?
Essay Topic 3
"Dracula" is considered a literary classic for many reasons. Choose three elements of the text that you feel made it the classic that it is and explain why these components have ensured the longevity and popularity of the story.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)