|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Harker realize he is Dracula's prisoner at the end of Chapter 2?
2. When Dracula and Harker first stay up all night talking, what causes Dracula to abruptly end the conversation?
3. What major weather event occurs while Mina is visiting Lucy?
4. To whom does Dracula request Harker write a letter to during his captivity?
5. Who is Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harker's choice to give Mina his journal demonstrate?
2. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
3. What was the West's view of Eastern Europe at the time Dracula was written?
4. As Harker is about to be seduced during his captivity by the three female vampires, what is he thinking of that makes him feel a bit guilty?
5. What disturbing sight does Harker see outside of his window during his captivity at Dracula's home?
6. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
7. What features of Dracula's new home in England create a sense of foreboding and unease for both Harker and the reader?
8. What does the fair-haired female vampire accuse Dracula of when he stops her from biting Harker after he is nearly seduced during Dracula's absence?
9. Where is Lucy and Mina's favorite place to sit?
10. How does Lucy respond to the transfusions that Van Helsing orders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mina is described as having a "man's brain" and a "woman's heart." Discuss the meaning of this description and how these qualities manifest themselves in at least three of her character's choices or actions throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Dracula" is very much a product of the time it was written. Choose three key elements of the novel and discuss how they are specific of their time and would, consequently, not work if the novel were written today.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scene in Chapter 3 where Harker is nearly seduced by the three female vampires. What does this scene tell the reader about traditional gender roles or sexuality during the time that "Dracula" was written?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)