|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Dracula tell Harker he is planning to move to during Harker's first visit to his home?
2. What does Dr. John Seward do?
3. When Holmwood looks at Lucy after she dies, what does he notice?
4. What strange sight does Harker see along the side of the road as he is being taken to first meet Count Dracula?
5. What change does Mina notice about Lucy after her sleepwalking episode?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lucy's mother after Van Helsing's telegram goes astray?
2. What is the reason behind Van Helsing's decision to put garlic up around Lucy's room?
3. What does Harker tell Mina that his experience at Dracula's castle done to him?
4. How does Harker react to the innkeeper's wife's gift for protection when she learns he is on a journey to see Count Dracula?
5. What does the letter from the Budapest hospital say about Harker's condition?
6. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
7. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
8. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
9. What two classic traits of a vampire does Dracula demonstrate in Chapter 4 (when Harker first begins to try to escape from Dracula's castle)?
10. What features of Dracula's new home in England create a sense of foreboding and unease for both Harker and the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three instances of foreshadowing that happen within the first three chapters of the novel and describe which future event that each predicts/foreshadows.
Essay Topic 2
Pick two seemingly minor characters in the novel (such as Renfield and Mr. Swales) and discuss how Stoker uses them in at least three ways to contribute to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Dracula is supposedly based on a real historical figure named Vlad the Impaler. Find three similarities between this historical figure and the literary character and explain how and when they appear in the novel.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)