|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harker find it difficult to shave in Dracula's home while he is first visiting?
2. What living things does Renfield eat?
3. What activity does Lucy begin to do at night during Mina's visit?
4. Why does Mina go to Budapest?
5. What is the state of Count Dracula's home at first glance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
2. What initial impression does Dr. Seward's description of Mr. Renfield leave with the reader?
3. Who is Mr. Swales?
4. How does Dracula respond to the crucifix Harker wears around his neck?
5. What was the West's view of Eastern Europe at the time Dracula was written?
6. What is the reason behind Van Helsing's decision to put garlic up around Lucy's room?
7. What does the fair-haired female vampire accuse Dracula of when he stops her from biting Harker after he is nearly seduced during Dracula's absence?
8. What features of Dracula's new home in England create a sense of foreboding and unease for both Harker and the reader?
9. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
10. Which two characters are under Dracula's mind control at the time that Harker is committed to the Budapest hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper that critically examines what happens to Lucy in the novel. Is her murder justified? Could her death even be considered a murder? Was it the only option? Was it an act of love or an act of despair -- or both? Would you have done the same thing to her? Would you have wanted your life to end the way hers did?
Essay Topic 2
One of the recurring themes in the novel is the conflict between good and evil. Is Dracula a truly evil character? Does he have any redeeming or good qualities? Present an argument supporting or arguing against Dracula being a purely bad character, making sure to cite specific details from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scene in Chapter 3 where Harker is nearly seduced by the three female vampires. What does this scene tell the reader about traditional gender roles or sexuality during the time that "Dracula" was written?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)