|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mina is visiting Lucy, why does Mina become increasingly anxious about Harker?
2. How does Harker deal with realizing he is being held captive by Dracula?
3. What happens to the urgent telegram that Van Helsing sends to Seward?
4. What does Mina do to keep Lucy from sleepwalking again?
5. When the novel opens, where is Jonathan Harker traveling to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Lucy's nighttime behavior during Mina's visit is so troubling?
2. What is the reader supposed to assume is happening to the children of London at night after Lucy dies?
3. What features of Dracula's new home in England create a sense of foreboding and unease for both Harker and the reader?
4. How does Dracula respond to the crucifix Harker wears around his neck?
5. What extraordinary power does Count Dracula's driver seem to have?
6. What initial impression does Dr. Seward's description of Mr. Renfield leave with the reader?
7. Who is Mr. Swales?
8. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
9. Why does Renfield manage to get a rare night of sleep after being stabbed?
10. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Dracula" is very much a product of the time it was written. Choose three key elements of the novel and discuss how they are specific of their time and would, consequently, not work if the novel were written today.
Essay Topic 2
Mina is described as having a "man's brain" and a "woman's heart." Discuss the meaning of this description and how these qualities manifest themselves in at least three of her character's choices or actions throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a vampire character from another novel or movie you are familiar with and compare and contrast that character with Stoker's Dracula. Make sure to list at least five similarities and/or differences.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)