|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lucy's health after her encounter with the stranger during a sleepwalking episode?
2. What change does Mina notice about Lucy after her sleepwalking episode?
3. Who is Mr. Hawkins?
4. Who is forbidden to kiss Lucy right before she dies?
5. Who does Renfield keep claiming to speak to during his escape from the asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two classic traits of a vampire does Dracula demonstrate in Chapter 4 (when Harker first begins to try to escape from Dracula's castle)?
2. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
3. What is the reason behind Van Helsing's decision to put garlic up around Lucy's room?
4. What extraordinary power does Count Dracula's driver seem to have?
5. How does Harker react to the innkeeper's wife's gift for protection when she learns he is on a journey to see Count Dracula?
6. What does Harker tell Mina that his experience at Dracula's castle done to him?
7. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
8. What does Harker find suspicious about his meals during his initial visit to Dracula's home?
9. What happens to Lucy's mother after Van Helsing's telegram goes astray?
10. What makes Harker certain that Dracula is going to kill him during his captivity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose and explain four traditional elements of a Gothic novel and cite an example of each from "Dracula".
Essay Topic 2
Why does Stoker choose Lucy to die as a result of Dracula's bite instead of Mina? Give at least three reasons for his choice, making sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, a fair-haired female vampire accuses Dracula of being incapable of loving. Present an argument that supports or refutes this statement, making sure to use at least three examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)