|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harker attempt his first escape from Dracula's home?
2. What animal comes off of the Russian ship?
3. Who is Mina?
4. Who comes to see Lucy right before she dies?
5. What does Van Helsing place around Lucy's neck during and after her treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
2. What makes Harker certain that Dracula is going to kill him during his captivity?
3. What does the fair-haired female vampire accuse Dracula of when he stops her from biting Harker after he is nearly seduced during Dracula's absence?
4. What does Harker find suspicious about his meals during his initial visit to Dracula's home?
5. What is Harker's first impression of Count Dracula's coach driver?
6. Who is Mr. Swales?
7. Where is Lucy and Mina's favorite place to sit?
8. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
9. Which two characters are under Dracula's mind control at the time that Harker is committed to the Budapest hospital?
10. How does Harker react to the innkeeper's wife's gift for protection when she learns he is on a journey to see Count Dracula?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the recurring themes in the novel is the conflict between good and evil. Is Dracula a truly evil character? Does he have any redeeming or good qualities? Present an argument supporting or arguing against Dracula being a purely bad character, making sure to cite specific details from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Complete a critical examination of the institution of marriage in the novel, making sure to address at least two ways that the marriages within the novel support the stereotypes and social expectations of the time and two ways that the marriages within the novel go against the stereotypes of the times.
Essay Topic 3
One of the novel's major themes is the conflict between the traditional and the modern. Choose three characters or events and explain, using evidence from the text, how they represent this conflict.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)