|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change does Mina notice about Lucy after her sleepwalking episode?
2. How is Dracula carried out of the castle after Harker attempts to kill him the first time?
3. What does Professor Van Helsing decide must be done as a treatment for Lucy?
4. When Mina finds Lucy in the middle of the night, where is she?
5. What almost happens to Harker after he is awoken from his nap in Dracula's home when he is being held prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
2. What about Lucy's nighttime behavior during Mina's visit is so troubling?
3. What does Harker find suspicious about his meals during his initial visit to Dracula's home?
4. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
5. What initial impression does Dr. Seward's description of Mr. Renfield leave with the reader?
6. What disturbing sight does Harker see outside of his window during his captivity at Dracula's home?
7. As Harker is about to be seduced during his captivity by the three female vampires, what is he thinking of that makes him feel a bit guilty?
8. What makes Harker certain that Dracula is going to kill him during his captivity?
9. What does the fair-haired female vampire accuse Dracula of when he stops her from biting Harker after he is nearly seduced during Dracula's absence?
10. How does Dracula respond to the crucifix Harker wears around his neck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, a fair-haired female vampire accuses Dracula of being incapable of loving. Present an argument that supports or refutes this statement, making sure to use at least three examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Complete a character analysis of Quincey Morris, listing three literary devices that Stoker uses to develop his character. Make sure to discuss Morris' death in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scene in Chapter 3 where Harker is nearly seduced by the three female vampires. What does this scene tell the reader about traditional gender roles or sexuality during the time that "Dracula" was written?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)