|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mina finds Lucy in the middle of the night, where is she?
2. Where does Dracula's name come from?
3. What is the state of Count Dracula's home at first glance?
4. What animal has reportedly escaped from a local zoo?
5. Why does Harker find it difficult to shave in Dracula's home while he is first visiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lucy's mother after Van Helsing's telegram goes astray?
2. What about Lucy's nighttime behavior during Mina's visit is so troubling?
3. What causes Renfield's outbursts as Lucy lies dying?
4. What does the team take Mina's first hypnosis session to mean?
5. What weapon is used to ultimately kill Dracula?
6. What makes Harker certain that Dracula is going to kill him during his captivity?
7. Who ultimately kills vampire Lucy?
8. How is the vampire Lucy killed?
9. Why is Dracula's destruction of the property in Seward's office not a total loss to the vampire-hunting team?
10. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a vampire character from another novel or movie you are familiar with and compare and contrast that character with Stoker's Dracula. Make sure to list at least five similarities and/or differences.
Essay Topic 2
One of the novel's major themes is the conflict between the traditional and the modern. Choose three characters or events and explain, using evidence from the text, how they represent this conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three instances of foreshadowing that happen within the first three chapters of the novel and describe which future event that each predicts/foreshadows.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)