|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who awakens Harker from his nap when the Count is supposedly away from his home?
2. What does Van Helsing place around Lucy's neck during and after her treatment?
3. What gift of protection is Harker given during his initial voyage to conduct business for Count Dracula?
4. What is the status of Holmwood's father's health while Mina is in Budapest?
5. When do Mina and Harker get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fair-haired female vampire accuse Dracula of when he stops her from biting Harker after he is nearly seduced during Dracula's absence?
2. What two classic traits of a vampire does Dracula demonstrate in Chapter 4 (when Harker first begins to try to escape from Dracula's castle)?
3. What was the West's view of Eastern Europe at the time Dracula was written?
4. What makes Harker certain that Dracula is going to kill him during his captivity?
5. What features of Dracula's new home in England create a sense of foreboding and unease for both Harker and the reader?
6. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
7. What causes Renfield's outbursts as Lucy lies dying?
8. Why does Renfield manage to get a rare night of sleep after being stabbed?
9. How does Lucy respond to the transfusions that Van Helsing orders?
10. What disturbing sight does Harker see outside of his window during his captivity at Dracula's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Dracula" is considered a literary classic for many reasons. Choose three elements of the text that you feel made it the classic that it is and explain why these components have ensured the longevity and popularity of the story.
Essay Topic 2
One of the recurring themes in the novel is the conflict between good and evil. Is Dracula a truly evil character? Does he have any redeeming or good qualities? Present an argument supporting or arguing against Dracula being a purely bad character, making sure to cite specific details from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Choose and explain four traditional elements of a Gothic novel and cite an example of each from "Dracula".
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)