|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country does Dracula tell Harker he is planning to move to during Harker's first visit to his home?
2. What happens to the urgent telegram that Van Helsing sends to Seward?
(a) It is gibberish so Seward can't respond.
(b) It goes astray.
(c) It gets too wet in the rain to read.
(d) The messenger is a vampire.
3. What is the source of Seward's depression?
(a) His mounting debts.
(b) His alcoholism.
(c) His horrible job in the asylum.
(d) Lucy's refusal to marry him.
4. How does Harker react to Dracula's physical touch?
(a) He becomes very peaceful and relaxed.
(b) He becomes overwhelmed by nausea.
(c) He becomes very sleepy.
(d) He's surprised that he actually can't feel Dracula's touch.
5. Who comes to see Lucy right before she dies?
(b) Van Helsing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Van Helsing place around Lucy's room?
2. What does Dr. John Seward do?
3. After what event does Mr. Swales die?
4. When Mina finds Lucy in the middle of the night, where is she?
5. How is Dracula carried out of the castle after Harker attempts to kill him the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which two characters are under Dracula's mind control at the time that Harker is committed to the Budapest hospital?
2. What two classic traits of a vampire does Dracula demonstrate in Chapter 4 (when Harker first begins to try to escape from Dracula's castle)?
3. What does Van Helsing hint to Seward that Lucy's troubles aren't over even after she dies?
4. How does Harker react to the innkeeper's wife's gift for protection when she learns he is on a journey to see Count Dracula?
5. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
6. What is Harker's first impression of Count Dracula's coach driver?
7. What features of Dracula's new home in England create a sense of foreboding and unease for both Harker and the reader?
8. Who is Mr. Swales?
9. What causes Renfield's outbursts as Lucy lies dying?
10. What about Lucy's nighttime behavior during Mina's visit is so troubling?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)