|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Harker's captivity in Dracula's home, what two items does he toss out of a window (for the gypsies)?
(a) A letter and a silver crucifix.
(b) A gold coin and his crucifix necklace.
(c) A letter and a piece of expensive cloth.
(d) A letter and a gold coin.
2. What happens to Mr. Hawkins shortly after Harker and Mina return from abroad?
(a) He decides he doesn't like Harker anymore.
(b) He dies.
(c) He is kidnapped.
(d) He goes insane.
3. What is the status of Holmwood's father's health while Mina is in Budapest?
(a) He has tuberculosis.
(b) He is going insane.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He is very ill with a bad heart.
4. Which characters are the first to express concern about Harker's journey?
(a) A gypsy Harker meets on the side of the road.
(b) The landlord of the inn and his wife.
(c) A priest.
(d) Harker's mother.
5. What has Mr. Hawkins asked Dracula to deliver to Harker on his behalf?
(a) A letter.
(b) A silver crucifix.
(c) A package.
(d) A picture of a house in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word could best be used to describe the tone of Chapter 1?
2. What does Mina hope will assist Harker once he returns home?
3. Who proposes marriage to Lucy?
4. What animal comes off of the Russian ship?
5. What major weather event occurs while Mina is visiting Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What features of Dracula's new home in England create a sense of foreboding and unease for both Harker and the reader?
2. What makes Harker certain that Dracula is going to kill him during his captivity?
3. What does Harker's choice to give Mina his journal demonstrate?
4. What is the reader supposed to assume is happening to the children of London at night after Lucy dies?
5. What is Harker's first impression of Count Dracula's coach driver?
6. How does Lucy respond to the transfusions that Van Helsing orders?
7. Which two characters are under Dracula's mind control at the time that Harker is committed to the Budapest hospital?
8. What initial impression does Dr. Seward's description of Mr. Renfield leave with the reader?
9. Who is Mr. Swales?
10. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)