|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Holmwood looks at Lucy after she dies, what does he notice?
(a) That she looks more robust and beautiful than ever.
(b) That she is holding a letter in her hand.
(c) That she was pregnant before she died.
(d) That she was very sick before she died.
2. How is St. George's Day first described in the novel?
(a) As a "stoic and silent day of penance" for all adults.
(b) As a "fun and joyous holiday" for everyone.
(c) When "all evil things in the world will have their sway."
(d) As a "celebratory day of feasting" when people get married.
3. What happens to Mr. Hawkins shortly after Harker and Mina return from abroad?
(a) He dies.
(b) He is kidnapped.
(c) He decides he doesn't like Harker anymore.
(d) He goes insane.
4. Who does Harker think he sees on the streets of London?
(a) Dracula's coach driver.
(c) His dead mother.
5. Who removes important items from Lucy's room?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Van Helsing.
(d) Her fiancé.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who awakens Harker from his nap when the Count is supposedly away from his home?
2. What strange ship does Mina see entering the harbor while she is visiting Lucy?
3. Where does Count Dracula live?
4. What does Van Helsing's telegram to Seward say?
5. What features does the figure hovering over Lucy have when she is out sleepwalking?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Harker is about to be seduced during his captivity by the three female vampires, what is he thinking of that makes him feel a bit guilty?
2. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
3. Where is Lucy and Mina's favorite place to sit?
4. What makes Harker certain that Dracula is going to kill him during his captivity?
5. What two classic traits of a vampire does Dracula demonstrate in Chapter 4 (when Harker first begins to try to escape from Dracula's castle)?
6. What features of Dracula's new home in England create a sense of foreboding and unease for both Harker and the reader?
7. What does Harker's choice to give Mina his journal demonstrate?
8. What disturbing sight does Harker see outside of his window during his captivity at Dracula's home?
9. What does the letter from the Budapest hospital say about Harker's condition?
10. What extraordinary power does Count Dracula's driver seem to have?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)