|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the source of Seward's depression?
(a) His horrible job in the asylum.
(b) Lucy's refusal to marry him.
(c) His mounting debts.
(d) His alcoholism.
2. What gift of protection is Harker given during his initial voyage to conduct business for Count Dracula?
(a) A piece of garlic.
(b) A crucifix.
(c) He isn't given anything.
(d) A rosary.
3. Who does Renfield keep claiming to speak to during his escape from the asylum?
(a) An angel on his shoulder.
(d) Someone named "Master."
4. What does Mina do to keep Lucy from sleepwalking again?
(a) She ties a rope around her.
(b) She sends her off to a nunnery.
(c) She chains her to the bed.
(d) She locks her in at night.
5. What activity does Lucy begin to do at night during Mina's visit?
(d) Sleep talking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of Count Dracula's home at first glance?
2. In what year was "Dracula" written?
3. Whose marriage proposal does Lucy accept?
4. What living things does Renfield eat?
5. What happens to Mr. Hawkins shortly after Harker and Mina return from abroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Swales?
2. How does Harker react to the innkeeper's wife's gift for protection when she learns he is on a journey to see Count Dracula?
3. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
4. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
5. What does Van Helsing hint to Seward that Lucy's troubles aren't over even after she dies?
6. What makes Harker certain that Dracula is going to kill him during his captivity?
7. What does the fair-haired female vampire accuse Dracula of when he stops her from biting Harker after he is nearly seduced during Dracula's absence?
8. What was the West's view of Eastern Europe at the time Dracula was written?
9. Which two characters are under Dracula's mind control at the time that Harker is committed to the Budapest hospital?
10. What is Harker's first impression of Count Dracula's coach driver?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)