|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lucy look when Professor Van Helsing arrives to examine her after she has been bitten?
(a) Her hair is turning gray and falling out.
(b) She is full of energy.
(c) She is very gaunt and pale.
(d) She is pregnant.
2. Where does Count Dracula live?
(a) On a farm.
(b) On a ship.
(c) In a castle.
(d) In a defiled church.
3. What has Mr. Hawkins asked Dracula to deliver to Harker on his behalf?
(a) A package.
(b) A letter.
(c) A picture of a house in London.
(d) A silver crucifix.
4. During Harker's captivity in Dracula's home, what two items does he toss out of a window (for the gypsies)?
(a) A letter and a gold coin.
(b) A gold coin and his crucifix necklace.
(c) A letter and a silver crucifix.
(d) A letter and a piece of expensive cloth.
5. What is the source of Seward's depression?
(a) His mounting debts.
(b) His alcoholism.
(c) Lucy's refusal to marry him.
(d) His horrible job in the asylum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word could best be used to describe the tone of Chapter 1?
2. What items does Harker use the first time he tries to kill Dracula?
3. What activity does Lucy begin to do at night during Mina's visit?
4. What almost happens to Harker after he is awoken from his nap in Dracula's home when he is being held prisoner?
5. What happens to Mr. Hawkins shortly after Harker and Mina return from abroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Lucy and Mina's favorite place to sit?
2. What was the West's view of Eastern Europe at the time Dracula was written?
3. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
4. What causes Renfield's outbursts as Lucy lies dying?
5. What does Harker's choice to give Mina his journal demonstrate?
6. What does Harker find suspicious about his meals during his initial visit to Dracula's home?
7. What does Harker tell Mina that his experience at Dracula's castle done to him?
8. What two classic traits of a vampire does Dracula demonstrate in Chapter 4 (when Harker first begins to try to escape from Dracula's castle)?
9. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
10. What is Harker's first impression of Count Dracula's coach driver?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)