|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is expected to happen to the Russian ship that is out at sea when a major weather event occurs?
(a) It is expected to smash on rocks.
(b) It is expected to burn to ashes.
(c) It is expected to wreck.
(d) It is expected to be swallowed by a whirlpool.
2. What does Dr. John Seward do?
(a) He is head of the local lunatic asylum.
(b) He is the town doctor.
(c) He is the town veterinarian.
(d) He is the town psychologist.
3. What change does Mina notice about Lucy after her sleepwalking episode?
(a) Her teeth have become pointy.
(b) Some red marks on Lucy's throat.
(c) A twisted ankle.
(d) Marks around her wrists.
4. How is St. George's Day first described in the novel?
(a) As a "fun and joyous holiday" for everyone.
(b) When "all evil things in the world will have their sway."
(c) As a "celebratory day of feasting" when people get married.
(d) As a "stoic and silent day of penance" for all adults.
5. What does Dracula do once Harker finally arrives?
(a) He introduces him to the other dinner guests.
(b) He shows Harker to his room and offers him dinner.
(c) He locks him away as soon as possible.
(d) He puts him to work in the study.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harker attempt his first escape from Dracula's home?
2. In what year was "Dracula" written?
3. How does Van Helsing feel about Lucy's death?
4. What does Professor Van Helsing decide must be done as a treatment for Lucy?
5. Who volunteers to help with Lucy's first medical treatment at the hands of Professor Van Helsing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two classic traits of a vampire does Dracula demonstrate in Chapter 4 (when Harker first begins to try to escape from Dracula's castle)?
2. What does the Russian ship's log say has happened to the crew?
3. Why does Renfield manage to get a rare night of sleep after being stabbed?
4. How does Dracula respond to the crucifix Harker wears around his neck?
5. Why is Dracula's lack of a reflection in Harper's shaving mirror particularly symbolic and important?
6. What disturbing sight does Harker see outside of his window during his captivity at Dracula's home?
7. Which two characters are under Dracula's mind control at the time that Harker is committed to the Budapest hospital?
8. Between Lucy and Mina, which woman is considered to be more beautiful?
9. What is Harker's first impression of Count Dracula's coach driver?
10. What does Harker's choice to give Mina his journal demonstrate?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)