|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who proposes marriage to Lucy?
(a) Dr. John Seward.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Mr. Quincey Morris.
(d) Arthur Holmwood.
2. When the novel opens, where is Jonathan Harker traveling from?
3. What almost happens to Harker after he is awoken from his nap in Dracula's home when he is being held prisoner?
(a) He almost dies from the cold.
(b) He is almost bitten by a female vampire.
(c) He is almost bitten by Dracula.
(d) He almost falls out of the window.
4. Where does Dracula's name come from?
(a) It's just a word Stoker made up on his own.
(b) The French "dracier," which means to live forever.
(c) The Spanish "dracar," which means to suck blood.
(d) The Latin "draco," which means both "dragon" and "evil."
5. What country does Dracula tell Harker he is planning to move to during Harker's first visit to his home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange sight does Harker see along the side of the road as he is being taken to first meet Count Dracula?
2. What does Mina do to keep Lucy from sleepwalking again?
3. Why does Mina go to Budapest?
4. Who volunteers to help with Lucy's first medical treatment at the hands of Professor Van Helsing?
5. Who removes important items from Lucy's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harker react to the innkeeper's wife's gift for protection when she learns he is on a journey to see Count Dracula?
2. What makes Harker certain that Dracula is going to kill him during his captivity?
3. What initial impression does Dr. Seward's description of Mr. Renfield leave with the reader?
4. Why does Renfield manage to get a rare night of sleep after being stabbed?
5. As Harker is about to be seduced during his captivity by the three female vampires, what is he thinking of that makes him feel a bit guilty?
6. What major physical changes does Lucy go through right before her death?
7. What disturbing sight does Harker see outside of his window during his captivity at Dracula's home?
8. What was the West's view of Eastern Europe at the time Dracula was written?
9. How does Dracula respond to the crucifix Harker wears around his neck?
10. Why doesn't Harker want Dracula to know that he is afraid of him while being held captive?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)