|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stoker convey the events of what happens in Chapter 1?
(a) Through Dracula's journal entries.
(b) Through the journal of Harker's personal servant.
(c) Through Harker's journal entries.
(d) Through Dracula's perspective.
2. Who comes to see Lucy right before she dies?
(d) Van Helsing.
3. Who proposes marriage to Lucy?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Dr. John Seward.
(c) Mr. Quincey Morris.
(d) Arthur Holmwood.
4. What does Mina do to keep Lucy from sleepwalking again?
(a) She locks her in at night.
(b) She sends her off to a nunnery.
(c) She chains her to the bed.
(d) She ties a rope around her.
5. What strange ship does Mina see entering the harbor while she is visiting Lucy?
(a) A small rowboat full of lots of people.
(b) A Russian ship.
(c) An American cruise ship.
(d) A ship with Harker's family crest on the mast.
6. When the novel opens, where is Jonathan Harker traveling to?
7. What does Dracula do once Harker finally arrives?
(a) He puts him to work in the study.
(b) He locks him away as soon as possible.
(c) He introduces him to the other dinner guests.
(d) He shows Harker to his room and offers him dinner.
8. Where does Count Dracula live?
(a) On a farm.
(b) In a defiled church.
(c) In a castle.
(d) On a ship.
9. Who is Lord Godalming?
(a) Holmwood's rich uncle.
(b) Dracula's secret name.
(c) Holmwood; it's his new title after his father's death.
(d) The mayor of the town.
10. When does Lucy plan to marry Holmwood?
(a) Never; she can't stand the man.
(b) When her health improves.
(c) In two years, as per her parents' request.
(d) A month or so after Mina and Harker get married.
11. Why does Harker find it difficult to shave in Dracula's home while he is first visiting?
(a) There are no mirrors anywhere.
(b) He is too nervous to keep his hand steady.
(c) Someone steals his razors.
(d) His blade is too dull.
12. Who is Lucy?
(a) Harker's daughter.
(b) A servant of Dracula's.
(c) A friend of Mina's.
(d) The innkeeper's wife at the hotel near Dracula's home.
13. What is the source of Seward's depression?
(a) His horrible job in the asylum.
(b) Lucy's refusal to marry him.
(c) His mounting debts.
(d) His alcoholism.
14. What does Professor Van Helsing decide must be done as a treatment for Lucy?
(a) She must be force-fed.
(b) She needs blood transfusions.
(c) She needs to be on bed rest to protect the baby.
(d) She can eat nothing but vegetables for a week.
15. Which characters are the first to express concern about Harker's journey?
(a) The landlord of the inn and his wife.
(b) A priest.
(c) A gypsy Harker meets on the side of the road.
(d) Harker's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what event does Mr. Swales die?
2. During their late night chats when Harker is being held hostage, what country's laws does Count Dracula seem particularly interested in?
3. What body part changes in Lucy that causes Van Helsing and Seward to become increasingly disturbed about their patient?
4. What causes Dracula to go into a "demonic fury" while he is watching Harker shave during Harker's first visit to Dracula's home?
5. What happens to the urgent telegram that Van Helsing sends to Seward?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)