|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word could best be used to describe the tone of Chapter 1?
2. What does Dracula do once Harker finally arrives?
(a) He introduces him to the other dinner guests.
(b) He locks him away as soon as possible.
(c) He puts him to work in the study.
(d) He shows Harker to his room and offers him dinner.
3. Who is Mina?
(a) The innkeeper's wife.
(b) Dracula's servant.
(c) Harker's fiancée.
(d) One of Dracula's female friends.
4. Which characters are the first to express concern about Harker's journey?
(a) The landlord of the inn and his wife.
(b) A gypsy Harker meets on the side of the road.
(c) A priest.
(d) Harker's mother.
5. How does Harker react to Dracula's physical touch?
(a) He becomes very peaceful and relaxed.
(b) He becomes very sleepy.
(c) He's surprised that he actually can't feel Dracula's touch.
(d) He becomes overwhelmed by nausea.
6. Who is Mr. Hawkins?
(a) Dracula's neighbor.
(b) Harker's employer.
(c) Harker's neighbor.
(d) Dracula's boss.
7. What does Van Helsing ask from Seward after Lucy's death?
(a) Seward's money to help pay for the funeral.
(b) Seward's help sneaking the body out.
(c) Seward's help and loyalty in the coming days.
(d) Seward's secrecy about why she died.
8. What strange sight does Harker see along the side of the road as he is being taken to first meet Count Dracula?
(a) Weird blue flames flickering along the road.
(b) Vultures seeming to follow his coach.
(c) Lots and lots of bats flying around.
(d) No sign of life at all.
9. What frequent activity do Lucy and Mind engage in during Mina's visit?
(a) Taking frequent walks.
(b) Getting pedicures.
(c) Cooking big meals together.
(d) Writing letters to their fiancés.
10. During Harker's captivity in Dracula's home, what two items does he toss out of a window (for the gypsies)?
(a) A letter and a gold coin.
(b) A letter and a piece of expensive cloth.
(c) A gold coin and his crucifix necklace.
(d) A letter and a silver crucifix.
11. When Dracula and Harker first stay up all night talking, what causes Dracula to abruptly end the conversation?
(a) He has another meeting to go to and has to leave early.
(b) The sunrise.
(c) He gets angry at one of the servants for dropping something.
(d) He spills coffee all over himself and decides just to go to bed.
12. How does Harker attempt his first escape from Dracula's home?
(a) By making a run for it on horseback.
(b) By climbing down the castle walls.
(c) By sneaking out in the middle of the night.
(d) By digging a tunnel out of his room.
13. Where are Harker and Mina living when they return from Budapest?
(a) In the home of Harker's boss.
(b) With Lucy.
(c) In Mina's mother's home.
(d) In a hotel until they can save money to buy a real house.
14. Who volunteers to help with Lucy's third medical treatment at the hands of Professor Van Helsing?
(d) No one, only Van Helsing.
15. Who volunteers to help with Lucy's first medical treatment at the hands of Professor Van Helsing?
(a) Arthur Holmwood.
(b) Dr. John Seward.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dracula's name come from?
2. What happens to Mr. Hawkins shortly after Harker and Mina return from abroad?
3. Where does Lucy live when Mina goes to visit her?
4. Who reveals to Dracula that Harker has tried to communicate with people outside of Dracula's home?
5. Who does Renfield keep claiming to speak to during his escape from the asylum?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)