|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is St. George's Day first described in the novel?
(a) As a "stoic and silent day of penance" for all adults.
(b) As a "fun and joyous holiday" for everyone.
(c) As a "celebratory day of feasting" when people get married.
(d) When "all evil things in the world will have their sway."
2. What is the status of Lucy's mother's health while Mina is in Budapest?
(a) She is going insane.
(b) She is very strong and helps to take care of Lucy.
(c) She has pneumonia.
(d) She is very ill with a bad heart.
3. Where does Lucy live when Mina goes to visit her?
(a) Bartleby, Yorkshire.
(d) Whitby, Yorkshire.
4. Who is forbidden to kiss Lucy right before she dies?
(c) Van Helsing.
5. What are Lucy and Mina writing letters about before Harker returns to town?
(a) Their upcoming marriages.
(b) The increasing price of bread in the market.
(c) How they wish they had boyfriends.
(d) Their annoying children.
6. Who awakens Harker from his nap when the Count is supposedly away from his home?
(a) The smell of a delicious dinner being cooked.
(b) A woman's screams from outside.
(c) A crow in the window.
(d) Three beautiful women.
7. Who volunteers to help with Lucy's fourth medical treatment at the hands of Professor Van Helsing?
(a) Van Helsing.
(d) Quincey Morris.
8. Who reveals to Dracula that Harker has tried to communicate with people outside of Dracula's home?
(a) Dracula's servant.
(b) The gypsies.
(c) The woman doing Harker's laundry.
(d) Dracula's coach driver.
9. What does Professor Van Helsing decide must be done as a treatment for Lucy?
(a) She needs blood transfusions.
(b) She can eat nothing but vegetables for a week.
(c) She needs to be on bed rest to protect the baby.
(d) She must be force-fed.
10. What does Harker include in the letter he is forced to write while a captive of Dracula's?
(a) Money to help pay for his escape.
(b) Code with directions of finding Dracula's home.
(c) A separate letter for his fiancée.
(d) A secret plea for help.
11. Where does Count Dracula live?
(a) On a farm.
(b) In a defiled church.
(c) On a ship.
(d) In a castle.
12. What happens to the urgent telegram that Van Helsing sends to Seward?
(a) It gets too wet in the rain to read.
(b) The messenger is a vampire.
(c) It goes astray.
(d) It is gibberish so Seward can't respond.
13. Who does Renfield keep claiming to speak to during his escape from the asylum?
(a) Someone named "Master."
(b) An angel on his shoulder.
14. What gift of protection is Harker given during his initial voyage to conduct business for Count Dracula?
(a) A piece of garlic.
(b) A crucifix.
(c) He isn't given anything.
(d) A rosary.
15. Which word could best be used to describe the tone of Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Harker at the end of Chapter 3, when he sees a remarkable scene between Dracula and some of his "guests"?
2. What does Mina hope will assist Harker once he returns home?
3. Who is Lucy?
4. What kind of strange room does Harker find in Dracula's home that he later takes a nap in?
5. How does Lucy look when Professor Van Helsing arrives to examine her after she has been bitten?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)