|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the source of Seward's depression?
(a) Lucy's refusal to marry him.
(b) His mounting debts.
(c) His alcoholism.
(d) His horrible job in the asylum.
2. What kind of feeling is overwhelming Lucy while Mina is in Budapest?
(a) She is worried because she has no feelings anymore.
(b) A feeling of being overwhelmed with wedding planning.
(c) A sense of happiness.
(d) A sense of darkness and fear.
3. What happens to Lucy's health after her encounter with the stranger during a sleepwalking episode?
(a) She finally begins to sleep through the night.
(b) She becomes pale and weak.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Her energy level really increases.
4. How does Lucy look when Professor Van Helsing arrives to examine her after she has been bitten?
(a) She is very gaunt and pale.
(b) She is full of energy.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) Her hair is turning gray and falling out.
5. When the novel opens, where is Jonathan Harker traveling to?
6. Which word could best be used to describe the tone of Chapter 1?
7. How does Stoker convey the events of what happens in Chapter 1?
(a) Through the journal of Harker's personal servant.
(b) Through Dracula's perspective.
(c) Through Dracula's journal entries.
(d) Through Harker's journal entries.
8. How is Dracula carried out of the castle after Harker attempts to kill him the first time?
(a) He is carried out by very large bats.
(b) In a coffin.
(c) In a stagecoach.
(d) He walks out on his own.
9. What kind of animals surrounds Harker's coach when he is being taken to meet Count Dracula for the first time?
10. What major weather event occurs while Mina is visiting Lucy?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A terrible storm.
(c) A fire storm.
(d) A tornado.
11. What is the status of Holmwood's father's health while Mina is in Budapest?
(a) He has tuberculosis.
(b) He is very ill with a bad heart.
(c) He is going insane.
(d) He is dying.
12. Who reveals to Dracula that Harker has tried to communicate with people outside of Dracula's home?
(a) The woman doing Harker's laundry.
(b) The gypsies.
(c) Dracula's servant.
(d) Dracula's coach driver.
13. Who is Mina?
(a) Dracula's servant.
(b) Harker's fiancée.
(c) The innkeeper's wife.
(d) One of Dracula's female friends.
14. What is Harker's first impression of Count Dracula?
(a) That he appears to have some kind of speech impediment.
(b) That he has a great sense of humor.
(c) That he is rude and impersonal.
(d) That he is formal and courteous.
15. During their late night chats when Harker is being held hostage, what country's laws does Count Dracula seem particularly interested in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal has reportedly escaped from a local zoo?
2. During Harker's captivity in Dracula's home, what two items does he toss out of a window (for the gypsies)?
3. What does Dr. John Seward do?
4. After what event does Mr. Swales die?
5. How is St. George's Day first described in the novel?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)