|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was "Dracula" written?
(b) No one knows for sure.
2. What happens to Mr. Hawkins shortly after Harker and Mina return from abroad?
(a) He decides he doesn't like Harker anymore.
(b) He dies.
(c) He goes insane.
(d) He is kidnapped.
3. Who does Harker think he sees on the streets of London?
(a) Dracula's coach driver.
(c) His dead mother.
4. How does Lucy look when Professor Van Helsing arrives to examine her after she has been bitten?
(a) She is very gaunt and pale.
(b) Her hair is turning gray and falling out.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is full of energy.
5. When Dracula and Harker first stay up all night talking, what causes Dracula to abruptly end the conversation?
(a) He gets angry at one of the servants for dropping something.
(b) The sunrise.
(c) He has another meeting to go to and has to leave early.
(d) He spills coffee all over himself and decides just to go to bed.
6. Who awakens Harker from his nap when the Count is supposedly away from his home?
(a) A woman's screams from outside.
(b) Three beautiful women.
(c) The smell of a delicious dinner being cooked.
(d) A crow in the window.
7. Who volunteers to help with Lucy's second medical treatment at the hands of Professor Van Helsing?
(a) Arthur Holmwood.
(b) Dr. John Seward.
8. How does Harker react to Dracula's physical touch?
(a) He becomes overwhelmed by nausea.
(b) He becomes very peaceful and relaxed.
(c) He's surprised that he actually can't feel Dracula's touch.
(d) He becomes very sleepy.
9. What is the source of Seward's depression?
(a) Lucy's refusal to marry him.
(b) His mounting debts.
(c) His alcoholism.
(d) His horrible job in the asylum.
10. How does Stoker convey the events of what happens in Chapter 1?
(a) Through Dracula's perspective.
(b) Through Harker's journal entries.
(c) Through Dracula's journal entries.
(d) Through the journal of Harker's personal servant.
11. When does Lucy plan to marry Holmwood?
(a) When her health improves.
(b) In two years, as per her parents' request.
(c) A month or so after Mina and Harker get married.
(d) Never; she can't stand the man.
12. Who is Mr. Hawkins?
(a) Harker's employer.
(b) Dracula's boss.
(c) Harker's neighbor.
(d) Dracula's neighbor.
13. Who removes important items from Lucy's room?
(b) Her fiancé.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Van Helsing.
14. What makes Harker realize he is Dracula's prisoner at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) All the windows and doors are firmly locked.
(b) He receives a letter from someone else advising him to escape as soon as possible.
(c) Dracula tells him so.
(d) His room and window suddenly have bars on them.
15. Where does Dracula's name come from?
(a) The Latin "draco," which means both "dragon" and "evil."
(b) The Spanish "dracar," which means to suck blood.
(c) The French "dracier," which means to live forever.
(d) It's just a word Stoker made up on his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mina go to Budapest?
2. Who does Renfield keep claiming to speak to during his escape from the asylum?
3. Whose marriage proposal does Lucy accept?
4. When Mina finds Lucy in the middle of the night, where is she?
5. What change does Mina notice about Lucy after her sleepwalking episode?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)