|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lydia scold Dencey when Lydia returns home?
2. Whom does Sammie talk to about his mother?
3. What is Injun Jill's quest?
4. What new role has Sammie adopted?
5. What does Dencey bring so that Sammie would have something new to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Aunt Lovesta's advice for Dencey regarding her punishment? What must Dencey promise not to do again?
2. What does Dicky Dick tell Sammie about Injun Jill being his mother, and why does Sammie feel compelled not to stay too long?
3. Why does the fire alarm ring in the morning, and why does Lydia hold Sammie responsible for the trouble?
4. What is advertised on the poster tacked to a tree, and why is Aunt Susanna so appalled to find Dencey reading it?
5. How does Sammie's behavior change once he passes up the chance to kiss Dencey at the corn husking contest?
6. What location does Sammie suggest for his reading lesson with Dencey? Why does he feel ill at ease there?
7. What are Dencey's plans for the coat her Uncle Stephen is discarding?
8. Why will Dencey be punished for trying to teach Sammie to read?
9. What happens when Lydia confronts Dencey about meeting with Sammie at Brown's barn?
10. What does Sammie grow to like about being in the Coffyn house, and what does Sammie realize that he has always craved for his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Dencey learns in the book? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Dencey always recall about her mother's admonitions? What impact did Aunt Lovesta have on Dencey's life? What would Dencey consider to be her best decision?
Essay Topic 2
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What role does religion play in the lives of the characters? What disagreements occurred over religion? What decisions were made in the name of religion? Are there instances where unkind events happen in the name of religion? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lydia Coffyn. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)