|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the fire alarm in town sound as Sammie is ready to leave with Professor Snubshoe?
2. What does Dencey know that she will continue to steal for Sammie?
3. What does Sammie offer to leave for Dencey?
4. Why does Sammie shuck corn at lightning speed?
5. What event does Lydia host in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lydia unable to get Sammie admitted to the Fragment Society School
2. What is Sammie's response when Dencey brings the alphabet poster chart for Sammie?
3. Why will Dencey be punished for trying to teach Sammie to read?
4. What does Dicky Dick tell Sammie about Injun Jill being his mother, and why does Sammie feel compelled not to stay too long?
5. What does Dencey find when she takes a risk to go exploring in the attic?
6. How has Sammie changed within himself? What changes do other people note about him?
7. What is Lovesta's punishment by the Committee for Sufferings for not allowing them to take Lydia's crimson rug from her home?
8. What does Sammie tell Dencey about a fight he has had with Injun Jill?
9. Who is Aunt Lovesta, and what is Dencey's relationship with her?
10. What are Dencey's plans for the coat her Uncle Stephen is discarding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dencey Coffyn. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lives of Dencey and Hopestill. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? What draws them together to make them friends? What makes Hopestill apprehensive about some of the things that Dencey says or does?
Essay Topic 3
DOWNRIGHT DENCEY is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)