|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lydia promise as punishment for Dencey?
2. Injun Jill says that she knows that Sammie has been spending time with whom?
3. What gift does Sammie give to Dencey?
4. Why are Dencey and Sammie worried about the reading lessons?
5. What is on the chart that Dencey brings to the next lesson with Sammie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dicky Dick tell Sammie about Injun Jill being his mother, and why does Sammie feel compelled not to stay too long?
2. What is Sammie's response when Dencey brings the alphabet poster chart for Sammie?
3. What could be driving Injun Jill's behavior regarding Sammie?
4. What does Dencey find when she takes a risk to go exploring in the attic?
5. What is Aunt Lovesta's advice for Dencey regarding her punishment? What must Dencey promise not to do again?
6. After Sammie has watched the performance, why does Dencey think that Sammie's soul is in jeopardy, and why does she feel compelled to save him?
7. What has happened to Lovesta after her years of punishment?
8. Why does Dencey feel driven to teach Sammie to read despite some of his behavior?
9. What does Lovesta tell Dencey about repentance and what does Dencey plan to do regarding Sammie?
10. What is Lydia's response when she finds that Dencey has been reading an inappropriate book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dencey Coffyn. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply DOWNRIGHT DENCEY. What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)