|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Tom return home from sea?
2. What season is arriving at the beginning of the book?
3. How does Dencey's dress get a mark on it?
4. Who is the young woman who has caught Tom's attention?
5. What does Tom agree to do in order to marry Lydia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances that make Dencey angry enough to throw a rock at Sammie Jetsam?
2. How does Dencey react to Sammie's vulnerability, and what plan does she need to make for what she wants to do to help Sammie now?
3. What does Dencey think about as she sits in her room?
4. How does Tom Coffyn meet Lydia Severance?
5. What role does Elias,Tom's father, take on in the household? What does he do that scares Dencey?
6. How does Sammie react to Dencey and her mission of forgiveness?
7. Where does the Coffyn family move? Why do they like it, especially Dencey?
8. How do Tom and Dencey spend their time together while he is home from the sea?
9. How does the author describe Nantucket in Chapter 7?
10. Why can Dencey not go to school after the rock throwing, and where does she decide to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dencey Coffyn. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Sammie Jetsam. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)