|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dencey's father work?
2. What was the cause of the death of the person on the ship?
3. What does Tom promise the twelve children in lieu of gifts?
4. Who is Caleb Severance?
5. Which of the following does Tom NOT bring back from the Orient?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances that make Dencey angry enough to throw a rock at Sammie Jetsam?
2. What does Tom do in order to marry Lydia?
3. How do Tom and Dencey spend their time together while he is home from the sea?
4. What does Dencey learn about Sammie's home life when she finds him at Injun Jill's?
5. What is Dencey's plan to get Sammie to forgive her and what risk does she take if she carries it out?
6. How do Lydia and Tom greet each other even though Lydia had been almost despondent without her husband?
7. How do visitors to the Coffyn help infuse some liveliness into the family's busy lifestyle?
8. Why would Lydia be forbidden to marry Tom?
9. What role does Elias,Tom's father, take on in the household? What does he do that scares Dencey?
10. How does Dencey react to Sammie's response to her offers of forgiveness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
DOWNRIGHT DENCEY is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lydia Coffyn. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)