|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Caleb Severance?
2. Why does Sammie give the book back to Dencey?
3. What cruel reality does Dencey realize about Sammie's life?
4. What makes Dencey so happy about spending time with Tom?
5. Who is Hopestill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dencey react to Sammie's vulnerability, and what plan does she need to make for what she wants to do to help Sammie now?
2. Why is Lydia so concerned about the strength of Dencey's religious faith?
3. What disheartening news does Lydia receive in a letter from Tom?
4. How do Lydia and Tom greet each other even though Lydia had been almost despondent without her husband?
5. How does the author describe Nantucket in Chapter 7?
6. How do visitors to the Coffyn help infuse some liveliness into the family's busy lifestyle?
7. What does Tom do in order to marry Lydia?
8. What does Dencey learn about Sammie's home life when she finds him at Injun Jill's?
9. What tragedies befall Martha White's family, and what does Lydia do to help?
10. Where does the Coffyn family move? Why do they like it, especially Dencey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sammie Jetsam. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)