|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the boys playing as the book opens?
2. Why is Tom embarrassed during the Quaker meeting?
3. What season is arriving at the beginning of the book?
4. For what length of time is Tom home on this visit?
5. What cruel reality does Dencey realize about Sammie's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dencey's plan to get Sammie to forgive her and what risk does she take if she carries it out?
2. How does Tom Coffyn meet Lydia Severance?
3. What are the circumstances that make Dencey angry enough to throw a rock at Sammie Jetsam?
4. What objects which Tom brings home does Dencey especially like? Why does her mother chastise her admiration of them?
5. How does Dencey react to Sammie's vulnerability, and what plan does she need to make for what she wants to do to help Sammie now?
6. How does the author describe Nantucket in Chapter 7?
7. Why would Lydia be forbidden to marry Tom?
8. How does Dencey feel about her father's homecoming after so many delays?
9. How do Lydia and Tom greet each other even though Lydia had been almost despondent without her husband?
10. How do Tom and Dencey spend their time together while he is home from the sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sammie Jetsam. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What role does religion play in the lives of the characters? What disagreements occurred over religion? What decisions were made in the name of religion? Are there instances where unkind events happen in the name of religion? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Caroline Dale Snedeker is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Identify the device used for each and explain the examples.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)