|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Fragmenters?
2. What is Lydia's state of mind prior to Tom's return home from the sea?
3. Dencey also likes that the new house is next door to whose house?
4. What time does Tom return home from sea?
5. What is Dencey's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Nantucket in Chapter 7?
2. Explain the class system on Nantucket.
3. What does Tom do in order to marry Lydia?
4. Why can Dencey not go to school after the rock throwing, and where does she decide to go?
5. How does Tom Coffyn meet Lydia Severance?
6. How do Lydia and Tom greet each other even though Lydia had been almost despondent without her husband?
7. Why would Lydia be forbidden to marry Tom?
8. How does Dencey react to Sammie's vulnerability, and what plan does she need to make for what she wants to do to help Sammie now?
9. How does Dencey feel about her father's homecoming after so many delays?
10. How do visitors to the Coffyn help infuse some liveliness into the family's busy lifestyle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in DOWNRIGHT DENCEY. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Tom Coffyn.. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dencey Coffyn. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)