|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dencey go down to the docks?
(a) To look for her father's ship.
(b) To talk to the sailors about their adventures.
(c) To get the hidden book from the wrecked ship.
(d) To find Sammie and bring him back.
2. Which of the following is NOT something that tugs at Dencey's loneliness while in her room?
(a) A pie eating contest.
(b) Lydia's baking popovers.
(c) The family playing outside.
(d) The family's conversations.
3. Where does Sammie find Dencey?
(a) Brown's barn.
(b) Hummock Pond.
(c) Miller's Woods.
(d) Mock Springs.
4. What annual Spring event occurs in Chapter 46?
(a) A Revival.
(b) The May Day Festival.
(c) Barn Raising Day.
(d) The Easter Pageant.
5. Why is Dencey conflicted about taking Stephen's coat?
(a) Stealing is wrong.
(b) It could be given to the orphanage.
(c) The coat won't fit anyone else.
(d) It is so old that no one will want it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lydia unable to get Sammie admitted to the school in #119?
2. What is the main event of Spring on Nantucket?
3. What promise does Dencey say she cannot keep?
4. How many words does Sammie learn in his first day of lessons?
5. Why does the fire alarm in town sound as Sammie is ready to leave with Professor Snubshoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Aunt Lovesta's advice for Dencey regarding her punishment? What must Dencey promise not to do again?
2. What has happened to Lovesta after her years of punishment?
3. How is Sammie able to finally get the education he desires?
4. What does Dicky Dick tell Sammie about Injun Jill being his mother, and why does Sammie feel compelled not to stay too long?
5. What is the basis of the silent war between Sammie and Injun Jill?
6. What is Lydia's response when she finds that Dencey has been reading an inappropriate book?
7. What is the state of Dencey and Sammie's relationship in Chapter 28?
8. What path has Sammie found for his future, and what feelings does Dencey have after he kisses her?
9. What does Sammie tell Dencey about a fight he has had with Injun Jill?
10. Why will Dencey be punished for trying to teach Sammie to read?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)