|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sammie think he could not kiss Dencey?
(a) He would be rejected.
(b) He is not good enough for her.
(c) He would be too shy.
(d) He would embarrass her.
2. Why is Dencey conflicted about taking Stephen's coat?
(a) It could be given to the orphanage.
(b) The coat won't fit anyone else.
(c) It is so old that no one will want it.
(d) Stealing is wrong.
3. Where does Dencey go to explore while the family is away?
(a) The creek.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The attic.
(d) The woods.
4. Who helps Sammie look for Dencey?
5. What does The Committee on Sufferings ban Lovesta from doing?
(a) Visiting the sick in town.
(b) Making pies for gifts.
(c) Speaking in church.
(d) Knitting scarves for the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Dencey and Sammie meet in Chapter 14?
2. Who was Injun Jill's boyfriend?
3. Where does Sammie get a job?
4. How does Dencey prove that she and Sammie are friends?
5. Where do Dencey and Sammie decide to hide the item from Injun Jill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Sammie changed within himself? What changes do other people note about him?
2. Why does the fire alarm ring in the morning, and why does Lydia hold Sammie responsible for the trouble?
3. What has happened to Lovesta after her years of punishment?
4. Why does Sammie want to win the corn husking contest but is also afraid that he might win it?
5. What does Dicky Dick tell Sammie about Injun Jill being his mother, and why does Sammie feel compelled not to stay too long?
6. How does Sammie's behavior change once he passes up the chance to kiss Dencey at the corn husking contest?
7. What are Dencey's plans for the coat her Uncle Stephen is discarding?
8. What does Lovesta tell Dencey about repentance and what does Dencey plan to do regarding Sammie?
9. How is Sammie able to finally get the education he desires?
10. What does Sammie grow to like about being in the Coffyn house, and what does Sammie realize that he has always craved for his life?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)