|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dencey so sad on the day of Nantucket's main event?
(a) Her father has not answered her letter.
(b) Her prize sheep will be entered into the contest.
(c) She won't get any fresh berries.
(d) She is being punished and not allowed to go.
2. Where does Sammie find Dencey?
(a) Miller's Woods.
(b) Brown's barn.
(c) Mock Springs.
(d) Hummock Pond.
3. What promise does Dencey say she cannot keep?
(a) To not sing in the house.
(b) To walk to school with Rosie.
(c) Never to see Sammie again.
(d) To go to choir practice.
4. Why does Sammie say that Injun Jill looks down on him?
(a) He is a runaway.
(b) He is poor.
(c) He is an orphan.
(d) He is only half Indian.
5. What does The Committee on Sufferings ban Lovesta from doing?
(a) Visiting the sick in town.
(b) Speaking in church.
(c) Knitting scarves for the children.
(d) Making pies for gifts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dencey sees a poster announcing ___________________________.
2. Who was Injun Jill's boyfriend?
3. Why do the townspeople begin to see Sammie in a more favorable light?
4. What annual Spring event occurs in Chapter 46?
5. What are Dencey's meals when she is confined to her room for punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Lovesta after her years of punishment?
2. What are Dencey's plans for the coat her Uncle Stephen is discarding?
3. Who is Aunt Lovesta, and what is Dencey's relationship with her?
4. What is the state of Dencey and Sammie's relationship in Chapter 28?
5. What is advertised on the poster tacked to a tree, and why is Aunt Susanna so appalled to find Dencey reading it?
6. How does Dencey respond when Sammie tells her that Injun Jill will not let him study with Dencey anymore?
7. What do Dencey and Sammie decide to do after Injun Jill confronts Sammie about learning to read?
8. How does Sammie's behavior change once he passes up the chance to kiss Dencey at the corn husking contest?
9. What does Dicky Dick tell Sammie about Injun Jill being his mother, and why does Sammie feel compelled not to stay too long?
10. Why does the fire alarm ring in the morning, and why does Lydia hold Sammie responsible for the trouble?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)