|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the youngest of Stephen's children?
2. How does Dencey's dress get a mark on it?
(a) Ink spilled on it.
(b) She fell in a puddle.
(c) A boy threw dirt at her.
(d) She brushed up against a cask.
3. Why does Sammie give the book back to Dencey?
(a) He only likes picture books.
(b) He is not a Christian.
(c) He cannot read.
(d) He feels bad about taking it from her.
4. What names does Sammie Jetsam call Dencey?
(a) Darkie and Dimwit.
(b) Darkie and Tattletale.
(c) Teacher's Pet and Portugee Girl.
(d) Darkie and Portugee Girl.
5. What causes a rift between Tom and his father?
(a) Tom's not accepting a dowry from Lydia's family.
(b) Tom's conversion to Quakerism.
(c) Tom's desire to move to the mainland.
(d) Tom's unwillingness to go back to sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the Quaker people?
2. For what is Injun Jill known?
3. How long does Tom expect to be gone on this whaling trip?
4. What was the cause of the death of the person on the ship?
5. Who is Hopestill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dencey feel about her father's homecoming after so many delays?
2. How does Dencey react to Sammie's vulnerability, and what plan does she need to make for what she wants to do to help Sammie now?
3. What tragedies befall Martha White's family, and what does Lydia do to help?
4. Why would Lydia be forbidden to marry Tom?
5. Explain the class system on Nantucket.
6. What is Dencey's plan to get Sammie to forgive her and what risk does she take if she carries it out?
7. Where does the Coffyn family move? Why do they like it, especially Dencey?
8. What is the family's response to Tom's homecoming, and what shock is in store for Tom regarding the size of his family now?
9. How does the author describe Nantucket in Chapter 7?
10. What does Tom promise his nieces and nephews as he was not aware of their presence in the home and did not bring any gifts for them?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)