|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dencey's dress get a mark on it?
(a) Ink spilled on it.
(b) She brushed up against a cask.
(c) She fell in a puddle.
(d) A boy threw dirt at her.
2. Who is the ten-year-old girl taken in by Lydia and Tom?
(a) Sara Weston.
(b) Ellen Mortimer.
(c) Peggy Runnel.
(d) Patricia Ramsey.
3. What is the name of Tom's ship?
(a) Waves of Glory.
(d) White Wave.
4. Who is Lydia's brother with the twelve children?
5. Who is caught throwing pebbles at Lydia's window one night?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys on the street call Dencey?
2. What is the name of the brig that has arrived in the harbor?
3. Why does Lydia begin to avoid Tom?
4. Who is Hopestill?
5. Why can Lydia not marry Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do visitors to the Coffyn help infuse some liveliness into the family's busy lifestyle?
2. What does Tom do in order to marry Lydia?
3. How does Dencey's faith compare to her cousin Hopestill's faith?
4. Why is Lydia so concerned about the strength of Dencey's religious faith?
5. How does Tom Coffyn meet Lydia Severance?
6. Where does the Coffyn family move? Why do they like it, especially Dencey?
7. What tragedies befall Martha White's family, and what does Lydia do to help?
8. Why can Dencey not go to school after the rock throwing, and where does she decide to go?
9. What objects which Tom brings home does Dencey especially like? Why does her mother chastise her admiration of them?
10. How do Tom and Dencey spend their time together while he is home from the sea?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)