|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into whose home does Lydia and Tom's family move?
(a) Tom's father's home.
(b) Captain White's home.
(c) Their newly built home.
(d) The former preacher's home.
2. What do Tom and Dencey do on their expeditions?
(a) Discuss various plants and flowers.
(b) Make up silly songs.
(c) Gather firewood.
(d) Recite Bible verses.
3. What time does Tom return home from sea?
(a) 4:00 AM.
(b) 8:00 AM.
(c) 6:00 PM.
(d) 12 Noon.
4. How does Dencey plan to beg for Sammie's forgiveness?
(a) She will write a letter and give him a gift.
(b) She will make a public apology in church.
(c) She will offer to do his chores for him.
(d) She will invite him to her house for dinner.
5. What name is given to the boys who torment Dencey on the street?
(d) Rabble Rousers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom brought Dency sea shells and a _________________.
2. In a letter, Tom tells Lydia that he must go to ________________ to find more whales.
3. Who is the wife of the man who died on the ship?
4. What is the name of Tom's ship?
5. For what length of time is Tom home on this visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the Coffyn family move? Why do they like it, especially Dencey?
2. How does Dencey react to Sammie's response to her offers of forgiveness?
3. What objects which Tom brings home does Dencey especially like? Why does her mother chastise her admiration of them?
4. Why is Lydia so concerned about the strength of Dencey's religious faith?
5. How does Sammie react to Dencey and her mission of forgiveness?
6. What role does Elias,Tom's father, take on in the household? What does he do that scares Dencey?
7. What is Dencey's plan to get Sammie to forgive her and what risk does she take if she carries it out?
8. What are the circumstances that make Dencey angry enough to throw a rock at Sammie Jetsam?
9. How does Tom Coffyn meet Lydia Severance?
10. How does Dencey react to Sammie's vulnerability, and what plan does she need to make for what she wants to do to help Sammie now?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)