|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dencey's father work?
(b) The West coast.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
2. Who fills Dencey's basket with food before she goes to visit Sammie?
3. All the local children are afraid of ____________.
(a) Injun Jill.
(b) One-eyed Samson.
(c) Rev. Westmoreland.
(d) Ol' Pete.
4. How does Dencey's dress get a mark on it?
(a) She fell in a puddle.
(b) A boy threw dirt at her.
(c) She brushed up against a cask.
(d) Ink spilled on it.
5. What names does Sammie Jetsam call Dencey?
(a) Teacher's Pet and Portugee Girl.
(b) Darkie and Dimwit.
(c) Darkie and Tattletale.
(d) Darkie and Portugee Girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tom's ship?
2. What is the name of Lydia and Tom's baby boy?
3. What are the boys playing as the book opens?
4. What book does Dencey give to Sammie?
5. Why does Dencey get mad at the boys on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dencey learn about Sammie's home life when she finds him at Injun Jill's?
2. What objects which Tom brings home does Dencey especially like? Why does her mother chastise her admiration of them?
3. How does Dencey feel about her father's homecoming after so many delays?
4. What tragedies befall Martha White's family, and what does Lydia do to help?
5. What does Tom promise his nieces and nephews as he was not aware of their presence in the home and did not bring any gifts for them?
6. How does Tom Coffyn meet Lydia Severance?
7. How do Tom and Dencey spend their time together while he is home from the sea?
8. What is Dencey's plan to get Sammie to forgive her and what risk does she take if she carries it out?
9. Several years after her marriage, what family burden does Lydia accept?
10. How does Dencey react to Sammie's response to her offers of forgiveness?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)