|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dencey bring so that Sammie would have something new to read?
(a) Her Uncle Hubert's sermon.
(b) Aunt Lovesta's sermon.
(c) Rev. Westmoreland's sermon.
(d) Lydia's poetry.
2. Why do the townspeople begin to see Sammie in a more favorable light?
(a) He saved Dencey's life.
(b) He chopped firewood for the church.
(c) He made benches for the school.
(d) He took care of Injun Jill.
3. How does Lydia feel about Dencey's daily visits with the person?
(a) She is jealous.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is grateful.
(d) She is curious.
4. What happens to Sammie after he recovers?
(a) He stays with the Coffyns.
(b) He goes to the orphanage.
(c) He leaves on a whaling ship.
(d) He returns to Injun Jill's house.
5. What is the prize for the winner of the corn husking contest?
(a) He got a new axe.
(b) He could kiss the prettiest girl.
(c) He could eat his fill of homemade pies.
(d) He got a week's worth of dinners.
6. What event does Lydia host in Chapter 29?
(a) A wedding reception.
(b) A church fundraiser.
(c) A veal feast.
(d) A quilting bee.
7. Who has Injun Jill told about Dencey and Sammie's meetings for reading lessons?
8. What item of Sammie's has to be hidden from Injun Jill?
9. Where does Sammie get a job?
(a) The docks.
(b) The general store.
(c) The Coffin School.
(d) The church.
10. To what does Sammie invite Dencey to go?
(a) The sheep shearing contest.
(b) The potato sack races.
(c) A picnic.
(d) The Maypole dance.
11. What does Dencey find during her exploration?
(a) An arrow.
(b) The Arabian Nights Entertainments book.
(c) A tadpole.
(d) A bushel of apples.
12. Why does Dencey go down to the docks?
(a) To find Sammie and bring him back.
(b) To talk to the sailors about their adventures.
(c) To get the hidden book from the wrecked ship.
(d) To look for her father's ship.
13. What is the nature of Sammie's illness?
(a) He has whooping cough.
(b) He has fever.
(c) He has the mumps.
(d) He has the measles.
14. What does The Committee on Sufferings remove from the Coffyn house?
(a) Ruffled curtains.
(b) Painted coffee cups.
(c) A crimson rug.
(d) A chair with a rose carved into the wood.
15. Where is Lydia able to get Sammie admitted to school?
(a) Whalers Academy.
(b) The Coffin School.
(c) The Fragment Society School.
(d) The Nantucket Academy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many words does Sammie learn in his first day of lessons?
2. What new article of clothing does Stephen receive?
3. In Chapter 20, a silent war is going on between Sammie and _________________.
4. What are Dencey's meals when she is confined to her room for punishment?
5. Who was Injun Jill's boyfriend?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)