|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something that tugs at Dencey's loneliness while in her room?
(a) The family playing outside.
(b) A pie eating contest.
(c) Lydia's baking popovers.
(d) The family's conversations.
2. How does Sammie try to cover up his uneasiness about being with Dencey?
(a) He tries to make her angry.
(b) He tries to appear smarter than he is.
(c) He tries to be funny.
(d) He tries to hurt her feelings.
3. What does Aunt Lovesta tell Dencey she must promise not to do?
(a) Go fishing by herself.
(b) Eat apples without permission.
(c) Read any books from the attic.
(d) Return to Injun Jill's or Brown's barn.
4. What annual Spring event occurs in Chapter 46?
(a) The Easter Pageant.
(b) The May Day Festival.
(c) Barn Raising Day.
(d) A Revival.
5. What gift does Sammie give to Dencey?
(a) A cameo necklace.
(b) A fine writing pen and paper.
(c) A box of chocolates.
(d) A Chinese bird cage and two birds.
6. What is the main event of Spring on Nantucket?
(a) May Day.
(b) Apple picking day.
(c) Strawberry picking day.
(d) Sheep shearing day.
7. What does Sammie offer to leave for Dencey?
(a) Ball and Jacks.
8. How does Lydia feel about Dencey's daily visits with the person?
(a) She is jealous.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is curious.
(d) She is grateful.
9. What does Lydia return to Sammie?
(a) The firewood he chopped.
(b) The basket of food.
(c) The stolen coat.
(d) Pilgrim's Progress book.
10. What behavior has Dencey exhibited lately that worries Lydia?
11. What is something that Sammie notes about the Coffyn house which he craves?
(a) Mental pursuits.
(b) Woodworking skills.
(c) Prayer rituals.
(d) Nourishing food.
12. What awakens Lovesta one night?
(a) A message from God.
(b) A thunderstorm.
(c) A banging on the door.
(d) A gunshot.
13. Why is Lydia unable to get Sammie admitted to the school in #119?
(a) He has not had the prerequisite classes.
(b) He is not a full time citizen.
(c) He does not have the tuition fee.
(d) He caused too much trouble when he attended for a week.
14. What happens to Sammie after he recovers?
(a) He leaves on a whaling ship.
(b) He stays with the Coffyns.
(c) He goes to the orphanage.
(d) He returns to Injun Jill's house.
15. What annual event occurs in Chapter 42?
(a) Apple picking weekend.
(b) Baling hay.
(c) The annual husking.
(d) Autumn harvest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Dencey and Sammie meet in Chapter 14?
2. Who is saved during the event in #175?
3. How old are Dencey and Hopestill in Chapter 41?
4. Why does Dencey go down to the docks?
5. Where is Lydia able to get Sammie admitted to school?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)