|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complicates the search for Dencey?
(a) It is raining hard.
(b) Snow is falling hard.
(c) There is no moon.
(d) She may have been taken by Indians.
2. What does Lydia confront Dencey about in Chapter 23?
(a) Not doing all her schoolwork.
(b) Leaving school early the past week.
(c) Meeting with Sammie at Brown's barn.
(d) Why she stole Stephen's coat.
3. Why does Dencey ultimately decide to take Stephen's coat?
(a) Sammie doesn't have any coats.
(b) To worry her mother.
(c) To teach Stephen a lesson.
(d) To trick Injun Jill.
4. Who was Injun Jill's boyfriend?
5. What does Dencey find during her exploration?
(a) An arrow.
(b) A tadpole.
(c) A bushel of apples.
(d) The Arabian Nights Entertainments book.
6. What quality does Dencey possess that helps her uphold her promise to teach Sammie to read?
7. Where is Lydia able to get Sammie admitted to school?
(a) The Fragment Society School.
(b) The Coffin School.
(c) Whalers Academy.
(d) The Nantucket Academy.
8. Which of the following was NOT a way that Sammie felt being around Dencey?
9. Why is Lydia unable to get Sammie admitted to the school in #119?
(a) He has not had the prerequisite classes.
(b) He does not have the tuition fee.
(c) He caused too much trouble when he attended for a week.
(d) He is not a full time citizen.
10. Where does Dencey go to explore while the family is away?
(a) The cellar.
(b) The woods.
(c) The attic.
(d) The creek.
11. Dencey sees a poster announcing ___________________________.
(a) The Summer Festival.
(b) The annual apple picking contest.
(c) A lost kitten.
(d) The arrival of Professor Snubshoe and his act.
12. Why does Sammie feel compelled to leave Dicky Dick's?
(a) He still has chores to do at home.
(b) He needs to get to bed.
(c) The coarse language and jokes offend him.
(d) He wants to talk to Dencey.
13. What does Sammie offer to leave for Dencey?
(b) Ball and Jacks.
14. Which of the following is NOT something that tugs at Dencey's loneliness while in her room?
(a) Lydia's baking popovers.
(b) A pie eating contest.
(c) The family's conversations.
(d) The family playing outside.
15. Why does Lydia scold Dencey when Lydia returns home?
(a) For going out of her room.
(b) For eating too many apples.
(c) For reading a wicked book.
(d) For getting her dress muddy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens Lovesta one night?
2. How does Dencey prove that she and Sammie are friends?
3. Which of Dencey's aunts is appalled that Dencey is reading the poster?
4. What happens to Sammie after he recovers?
5. How old are Dencey and Hopestill in Chapter 41?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)