|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item of Sammie's has to be hidden from Injun Jill?
2. Why does Dencey ultimately decide to take Stephen's coat?
(a) To worry her mother.
(b) Sammie doesn't have any coats.
(c) To trick Injun Jill.
(d) To teach Stephen a lesson.
3. How many words does Sammie learn in his first day of lessons?
4. Which of Dencey's aunts is appalled that Dencey is reading the poster?
(a) Aunt Sara.
(b) Aunt Lovesta.
(c) Aunt Elizabeth.
(d) Aunt Susanna.
5. What is Sammie's demeanor after the husking day?
(a) He is aggressive.
(b) He is joyful.
(c) He is buoyant.
(d) He is withdrawn.
6. To what does Sammie invite Dencey to go?
(a) The potato sack races.
(b) The Maypole dance.
(c) The sheep shearing contest.
(d) A picnic.
7. How does Sammie try to cover up his uneasiness about being with Dencey?
(a) He tries to hurt her feelings.
(b) He tries to make her angry.
(c) He tries to be funny.
(d) He tries to appear smarter than he is.
8. What annual Spring event occurs in Chapter 46?
(a) The Easter Pageant.
(b) Barn Raising Day.
(c) The May Day Festival.
(d) A Revival.
9. Why does the fire alarm in town sound as Sammie is ready to leave with Professor Snubshoe?
(a) Dencey is lost.
(b) The Meeting Hall is on fire.
(c) A ship is coming into harbor.
(d) Indians are attacking the town.
10. What is the nature of Sammie's illness?
(a) He has whooping cough.
(b) He has the mumps.
(c) He has the measles.
(d) He has fever.
11. What change does Lydia make to Dencey's room so that Dencey can think about what she has done and why she is being punished?
(a) She nails the shutters closed.
(b) She removes all the pictures.
(c) She removes Rosie's bed.
(d) She removes the lamp.
12. Why is Lydia unable to get Sammie admitted to the school in #119?
(a) He is not a full time citizen.
(b) He caused too much trouble when he attended for a week.
(c) He has not had the prerequisite classes.
(d) He does not have the tuition fee.
13. What complicates the search for Dencey?
(a) There is no moon.
(b) Snow is falling hard.
(c) She may have been taken by Indians.
(d) It is raining hard.
14. What does Dencey bring so that Sammie would have something new to read?
(a) Her Uncle Hubert's sermon.
(b) Aunt Lovesta's sermon.
(c) Lydia's poetry.
(d) Rev. Westmoreland's sermon.
15. Why do the townspeople now think that Dencey is a good girl?
(a) She helps her mother with all the children.
(b) She knits mittens for the orphans.
(c) She brings soup to sick people.
(d) She tried to save Sammie's soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sammie find Dencey?
2. What is the name of the ship on which Sammie will be working?
3. What quality does Dencey possess that helps her uphold her promise to teach Sammie to read?
4. Who helps Sammie look for Dencey?
5. Why is the person who fought with Sammie mad?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)