|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the young woman who has caught Tom's attention?
(a) Lydia Severance.
(b) Lauren Smythe.
(c) Lynne Sexton.
(d) Louise Selby.
2. For what length of time is Tom home on this visit?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Eight weeks.
3. Where does Dencey's father work?
(a) The West coast.
(b) Martha's Vineyard.
4. Why did Tom not bring presents for the twelve children?
(a) He left them on the ship.
(b) He didn't have time to buy anything.
(c) He didn't have the money to buy so many gifts.
(d) He didn't know they were now living in his house.
5. Why can Dencey not go on to school one morning?
(a) She sprained her ankle.
(b) She is breaking out in a rash.
(c) She is dirty and disheveled.
(d) She has the stomach flu.
6. Why is Tom embarrassed during the Quaker meeting?
(a) He has a coughing attack.
(b) He has been staring at a beautiful woman.
(c) He sneezes repeatedly.
(d) He sings the wrong notes in the hymns.
7. What do Tom and Dencey do on their expeditions?
(a) Recite Bible verses.
(b) Gather firewood.
(c) Make up silly songs.
(d) Discuss various plants and flowers.
8. Which of the people on the ship has died?
(a) Captain Henry White.
(b) Mr. James White.
(c) Captain Harley Wittmore.
(d) Rev. Harlan Wilson.
9. How is Hopestill related to Dencey?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are not related.
(c) They are step sisters.
(d) They are cousins.
10. How does Dencey plan to beg for Sammie's forgiveness?
(a) She will write a letter and give him a gift.
(b) She will offer to do his chores for him.
(c) She will make a public apology in church.
(d) She will invite him to her house for dinner.
11. What are the boys playing as the book opens?
(b) Red Rover.
12. Tom brought Dency sea shells and a _________________.
13. For what does Lydia chastise Dencey regarding the Oriental jars?
(a) For breaking one.
(b) For kneeling to inspect them.
(c) For putting them in her room.
(d) For pouring milk in them.
14. Who is Tom's father?
15. Into whose home does Lydia and Tom's family move?
(a) Captain White's home.
(b) Tom's father's home.
(c) Their newly built home.
(d) The former preacher's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Tom NOT bring back from the Orient?
2. What color is the town's meeting house?
3. The ground of Nantucket is primarily _______________.
4. Lydia accuses Dencey of falsely worshiping which objects?
5. What is the name of Tom's ship?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)