|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sammie admits to Dencey that he cannot read, he is being _________________.
2. Who is caught throwing pebbles at Lydia's window one night?
3. What story does Elias tell Dencey that frightens her for the first time?
(a) When he fell overboard a whaling ship.
(b) The horrors of hell for those who disobey God.
(c) When Indians attacked his house when he was a boy.
(d) Being snowed in for weeks during a blizzard as a boy.
4. Into whose home does Lydia and Tom's family move?
(a) The former preacher's home.
(b) Their newly built home.
(c) Captain White's home.
(d) Tom's father's home.
5. Who is the ten-year-old girl taken in by Lydia and Tom?
(a) Patricia Ramsey.
(b) Peggy Runnel.
(c) Ellen Mortimer.
(d) Sara Weston.
6. In a letter, Tom tells Lydia that he must go to ________________ to find more whales.
(a) The Bering Strait.
(b) The North Sea.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Sea of Japan.
7. What time does Tom return home from sea?
(a) 12 Noon.
(b) 4:00 AM.
(c) 6:00 PM.
(d) 8:00 AM.
8. What do the boys on the street call Dencey?
(d) Teacher's pet.
9. What is Sammie's last name?
10. Why does Lydia begin to avoid Tom?
(a) She is not sure that she wants a steady relationship.
(b) Her mother thinks she spends too much time with him.
(c) She wants to see other men too.
(d) She wants to see how serious Tom is.
11. Why does Sammie give the book back to Dencey?
(a) He cannot read.
(b) He is not a Christian.
(c) He feels bad about taking it from her.
(d) He only likes picture books.
12. What is Dencey's formal name?
13. What book does Dencey give to Sammie?
(a) Little Women.
(b) Pilgrim's Progress.
(c) Robinson Crusoe.
(d) The Bible.
14. How is Hopestill related to Dencey?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are sisters.
(c) They are step sisters.
(d) They are not related.
15. Who becomes patriarch of Lydia and Tom's family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dencey sit to think about what she has done to Sammie?
2. Why does Tom come home earlier than expected from the whaling trip?
3. Why can Lydia not marry Tom?
4. Dencey also likes that the new house is next door to whose house?
5. Who takes care of Martha when she, too, falls ill?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)