|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Tom NOT bring back from the Orient?
(a) Yards of silk.
(b) Porcelain jars.
(c) Ivory newel post button.
(d) Bottles of Sake.
2. Why does Sammie give the book back to Dencey?
(a) He is not a Christian.
(b) He feels bad about taking it from her.
(c) He only likes picture books.
(d) He cannot read.
3. What causes a rift between Tom and his father?
(a) Tom's unwillingness to go back to sea.
(b) Tom's desire to move to the mainland.
(c) Tom's conversion to Quakerism.
(d) Tom's not accepting a dowry from Lydia's family.
4. Lydia accuses Dencey of falsely worshiping which objects?
(a) The Oriental jars.
(b) The cameo brooch.
(c) The gold necklace.
(d) The pocket watch.
5. What do the boys on the street call Dencey?
(a) Teacher's pet.
6. Why is Tom embarrassed during the Quaker meeting?
(a) He sings the wrong notes in the hymns.
(b) He has a coughing attack.
(c) He has been staring at a beautiful woman.
(d) He sneezes repeatedly.
7. What is the name of Tom's ship?
(a) Waves of Glory.
(c) White Wave.
8. Who is Lydia's brother with the twelve children?
9. What does Tom agree to do in order to marry Lydia?
(a) Not go to sea again.
(b) Build a new house.
(c) Become a Quaker.
(d) Get a better job.
10. In a letter, Tom tells Lydia that he must go to ________________ to find more whales.
(a) The Sea of Japan.
(b) The Bering Strait.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The North Sea.
11. How does Dencey plan to beg for Sammie's forgiveness?
(a) She will write a letter and give him a gift.
(b) She will invite him to her house for dinner.
(c) She will make a public apology in church.
(d) She will offer to do his chores for him.
12. Who takes care of Martha when she, too, falls ill?
13. Who fills Dencey's basket with food before she goes to visit Sammie?
14. How many children does Lydia's brother, Stephen, have?
15. Why did Tom not bring presents for the twelve children?
(a) He didn't have the money to buy so many gifts.
(b) He didn't know they were now living in his house.
(c) He didn't have time to buy anything.
(d) He left them on the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the Quaker people?
2. What is the name of the brig that has arrived in the harbor?
3. What book does Dencey give to Sammie?
4. What shocks Tom when he returns home?
5. Who is Hopestill?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)