|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season is arriving at the beginning of the book?
2. Who is the young woman who has caught Tom's attention?
(a) Lauren Smythe.
(b) Louise Selby.
(c) Lydia Severance.
(d) Lynne Sexton.
3. Who is caught throwing pebbles at Lydia's window one night?
4. What is Lydia's state of mind prior to Tom's return home from the sea?
5. Dencey also likes that the new house is next door to whose house?
6. What does Dencey hate about herself?
(a) Her swarthy complexion.
(b) Her big feet.
(c) Her accent.
(d) Her red hair.
7. What story does Elias tell Dencey that frightens her for the first time?
(a) When Indians attacked his house when he was a boy.
(b) The horrors of hell for those who disobey God.
(c) Being snowed in for weeks during a blizzard as a boy.
(d) When he fell overboard a whaling ship.
8. Who is the youngest of Stephen's children?
9. What is the name of Tom's ship?
(a) Waves of Glory.
(b) White Wave.
10. When Sammie admits to Dencey that he cannot read, he is being _________________.
11. Why can Dencey not go on to school one morning?
(a) She is dirty and disheveled.
(b) She sprained her ankle.
(c) She is breaking out in a rash.
(d) She has the stomach flu.
12. Into whose home does Lydia and Tom's family move?
(a) Tom's father's home.
(b) Their newly built home.
(c) Captain White's home.
(d) The former preacher's home.
13. Why can Lydia not marry Tom?
(a) Her parents do not approve of him.
(b) He is outside the Meeting.
(c) He is too old.
(d) She is promised to someone else.
14. What cruel reality does Dencey realize about Sammie's life?
(a) He has no one to care for him.
(b) He has a speech impediment.
(c) He has a club foot.
(d) He is a slow learner.
15. Which of the following does Tom NOT bring back from the Orient?
(a) Porcelain jars.
(b) Ivory newel post button.
(c) Bottles of Sake.
(d) Yards of silk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dencey's dress get a mark on it?
2. Who is the wife of the man who died on the ship?
3. What names does Sammie Jetsam call Dencey?
4. Which of the people on the ship has died?
5. What shocks Tom when he returns home?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)