|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lydia's brother with the twelve children?
2. When Sammie admits to Dencey that he cannot read, he is being _________________.
3. Where does Dencey sit to think about what she has done to Sammie?
(a) A pew at church.
(b) A hay loft in the barn.
(c) A stump in the woods.
(d) A stool in her room.
4. Who takes care of Martha when she, too, falls ill?
5. Who is the youngest of Stephen's children?
6. On what street does Elias' house sit?
(a) South Harbor Street.
(b) Bay View Street.
(c) Port Street.
(d) North Water Street.
7. Who is the wife of the man who died on the ship?
8. What are the boys playing as the book opens?
(a) Red Rover.
9. Who is Stephen's handicapped daughter?
(a) Crippled Rosie.
(b) Crippled Jane.
(c) Crippled Laura.
(d) Crippled Emma.
10. Why does Tom come home earlier than expected from the whaling trip?
(a) They came upon a school of whales and killed their capacity.
(b) The ship was mangled in a storm.
(c) Most of the men were sick and dying of dysentery.
(d) He decided he needed to be with his family.
11. Who is Caleb Severance?
(a) Tom's crew mate.
(b) A school teacher.
(c) A minister.
(d) The owner of the pub.
12. Why does Lydia and Tom's family move to a different house?
(a) It is bigger and can accommodate them.
(b) It is a closer walk to the Meeting House.
(c) It is right next to the school.
(d) It is closer to the seaport.
13. What time does Tom return home from sea?
(a) 6:00 PM.
(b) 4:00 AM.
(c) 12 Noon.
(d) 8:00 AM.
14. What cruel reality does Dencey realize about Sammie's life?
(a) He has no one to care for him.
(b) He has a speech impediment.
(c) He is a slow learner.
(d) He has a club foot.
15. What is Sammie doing when Dencey arrives at the cottage where he lives?
(a) Rubbing down a horse.
(b) Chopping wood.
(c) Feeding chickens.
(d) Building a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Elias tell Dencey that frightens her for the first time?
2. Dencey also likes that the new house is next door to whose house?
3. Who is the young woman who has caught Tom's attention?
4. What color is the town's meeting house?
5. Into whose home does Lydia and Tom's family move?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)