|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tom embarrassed during the Quaker meeting?
(a) He sings the wrong notes in the hymns.
(b) He has a coughing attack.
(c) He sneezes repeatedly.
(d) He has been staring at a beautiful woman.
2. Into whose home does Lydia and Tom's family move?
(a) Captain White's home.
(b) Tom's father's home.
(c) Their newly built home.
(d) The former preacher's home.
3. What name is given to the boys who torment Dencey on the street?
(b) Rabble Rousers.
4. At whose home does Sammie live?
(a) Mr. Everman.
(b) Injun Jill's.
(c) Captain Thwaits.
(d) Rev. Westmoreland's.
5. Who is the ten-year-old girl taken in by Lydia and Tom?
(a) Peggy Runnel.
(b) Ellen Mortimer.
(c) Patricia Ramsey.
(d) Sara Weston.
6. What is Dencey's mother's name?
7. Why does Sammie give the book back to Dencey?
(a) He feels bad about taking it from her.
(b) He cannot read.
(c) He is not a Christian.
(d) He only likes picture books.
8. How many children does Lydia's brother, Stephen, have?
9. Where does Dencey's father work?
(a) The West coast.
(c) Martha's Vineyard.
10. Who takes care of Martha when she, too, falls ill?
11. Where does Dencey sit to think about what she has done to Sammie?
(a) A hay loft in the barn.
(b) A stool in her room.
(c) A stump in the woods.
(d) A pew at church.
12. Tom Coffyn returns after how many years at sea?
13. Which of the people on the ship has died?
(a) Captain Harley Wittmore.
(b) Mr. James White.
(c) Rev. Harlan Wilson.
(d) Captain Henry White.
14. How does Dencey plan to beg for Sammie's forgiveness?
(a) She will make a public apology in church.
(b) She will invite him to her house for dinner.
(c) She will write a letter and give him a gift.
(d) She will offer to do his chores for him.
15. What do Tom and Dencey do on their expeditions?
(a) Make up silly songs.
(b) Discuss various plants and flowers.
(c) Recite Bible verses.
(d) Gather firewood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stephen's handicapped daughter?
2. What story does Elias tell Dencey that frightens her for the first time?
3. What season is arriving at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Tom agree to do in order to marry Lydia?
5. Who is Tom's father?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)