Book I, Chapters 1-3
1. What season is arriving at the beginning of the book?
2. What are the boys playing as the book opens?
(c) Red Rover.
3. How does Dencey's dress get a mark on it?
(a) Ink spilled on it.
(b) A boy threw dirt at her.
(c) She brushed up against a cask.
(d) She fell in a puddle.
4. Who is Hopestill?
(a) Dencey's mother.
(b) Dencey's teacher.
(c) Dencey's grandmother.
(d) Dencey's friend.
5. Where does Dencey's father work?
(b) Martha's Vineyard.
(c) The West coast.
6. Who are the Fragmenters?
(b) Boys from the Fragment Society School.
(c) Trash collectors.
(d) Wool spinners.
7. What do the boys on the street call Dencey?
(a) Teacher's pet.
8. Why does Dencey get mad at the boys on the street?
(a) They taunt Hopestill.
(b) They make fun of her religion.
(c) They tore her dress.
(d) They called her father a coward.
9. What names does Sammie Jetsam call Dencey?
(a) Darkie and Portugee Girl.
(b) Darkie and Dimwit.
(c) Teacher's Pet and Portugee Girl.
(d) Darkie and Tattletale.
This section contains 4,154 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)