|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did not want Donald Muller to attend St. Nicholas?
2. What does Sister Aloysius tell Mrs. Muller she wants from her?
3. Who does Sister Aloysius tell Sister James she prayed for?
4. At the end of Scene 9, what does Sister Aloysius have?
5. Why does Mrs. Muller say Donald was sent to St. Nicholas instead of public school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 8, why does Mrs. Muller think she may have come to Sister Aloysius' office on the wrong day?
2. What does Mrs. Muller say is the real reason Mr. Muller beat Donald?
3. What does Father Flynn say is wrong about Sister Aloysius contacting his prior parish?
4. What shocks Sister James about Sister Aloysius' call to Father Flynn's prior parish?
5. Why does Mrs. Muller say that it was Donald who was punished for drinking the wine instead of Father Flynn being punished for giving it to him?
6. In Father Flynn's sermon, what point is Father O'Rourke trying to make about gossip when he instructs the gossipy woman to pick up every last feather?
7. In Scene 9, what reason does Sister James give Sister Aloysius for being unable to sleep?
8. In the second part of Scene 8, what reason does Father Flynn suggest for Donald's odd behavior?
9. In Scene 9, what does Sister James tell Sister Aloysius she thinks of Father Flynn?
10. What is strange about Father O'Rourke's reaction to the gossipy woman's confession in Father Flynn's sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sister Aloysius is both the protagonist and antagonist of the play. Write an essay discussing how she fits both of these roles. Provide examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Muller's relationship with her husband is much like Sister Aloysius' relationship with the men in the church. Write a brief essay explaining how these relationships are similar. What does Sister Aloysius attempt to do that Mrs. Muller seems afraid to do? What is the result?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Muller has an interesting way of protecting her son. This is revealed in how she feels about Donald's relationship with Father Flynn and her concern for his education. Write an essay discussing what Mrs. Muller believes to be true about her son and how that affects what she thinks is best for him? Why does she appreciate Father Flynn's interest in her son rather than worry about it?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)