|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Flynn accuse Sister Aloysius of doing during Scene 8?
2. What does Sister Aloysius tell Mrs. Muller she wants from her?
3. What does Sister James tell Sister Aloysius she can't believe in Scene 9?
4. Who was the woman in Father Flynn's sermon on gossip gossiping about?
5. Why does Mrs. Muller say Donald was sent to St. Nicholas instead of public school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 9, what reason does Sister James give Sister Aloysius for being unable to sleep?
2. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say that the truth makes for a poor sermon?
3. What does Father Flynn seem to be most worried about if Sister Aloysius makes her accusations against him public?
4. In the second part of Scene 8, what does Father Flynn say is the real reason Sister Aloysius is after him?
5. In Scene 9, why is Sister Aloysius glad that Sister James went to see her family?
6. What does Mrs. Muller say is the real reason Mr. Muller beat Donald?
7. Why does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman to take a pillow to the roof in Father Flynn's sermon?
8. When Father Flynn comes to Sister Aloysius' office in the second part of Scene 8, why does she tell him he can't come in?
9. In Scene 8, why does Mrs. Muller think she may have come to Sister Aloysius' office on the wrong day?
10. What reason does Father Flynn give Sister James for his not wanting to defend himself against Sister Aloysius' accusations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of instances of compassion in this play. Compassion is displayed by characters we don't expect compassion from, and for characters we aren't certain deserve compassion. Write an essay discussing the ways in which compassion is used in this play. Who shows compassion and towards whom? Is the compassion warranted? From whom do we see unexpected compassion?
Essay Topic 2
Sister Aloysius is both the protagonist and antagonist of the play. Write an essay discussing how she fits both of these roles. Provide examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Muller's relationship with her husband is much like Sister Aloysius' relationship with the men in the church. Write a brief essay explaining how these relationships are similar. What does Sister Aloysius attempt to do that Mrs. Muller seems afraid to do? What is the result?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)