|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sister Aloysius' response to Sister James' revelation about Donald Muller's feelings after Father Flynn leaves the school?
2. How does Sister James describe Donald Muller at Father Flynn's departure?
3. What does Sister James say to Father Flynn as she leaves after their conversation in Scene 7?
4. In Scene 6, who does the man in Father Flynn's sermon represent?
5. What does Father Flynn say is the message of the Savior?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
2. Why is does Mrs. Muller say that regardless of what Donald's trouble is at the school, he only needs to make it through until June?
3. What does Mrs. Muller say is the real reason Mr. Muller beat Donald?
4. What about the crow in Scene 7 reminds the audience of Sister Aloysius?
5. Why didn't Donald's father want him to attend St. Nicholas school?
6. What does Father Flynn seem to be most worried about if Sister Aloysius makes her accusations against him public?
7. In Scene 7, what does Sister James say Sister Aloysius has done to take away her joy in teaching?
8. Why does Mrs. Muller say that it was Donald who was punished for drinking the wine instead of Father Flynn being punished for giving it to him?
9. In Scene 9, why is Sister Aloysius glad that Sister James went to see her family?
10. In the second part of Scene 8, what reason does Father Flynn suggest for Donald's odd behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Muller has an interesting way of protecting her son. This is revealed in how she feels about Donald's relationship with Father Flynn and her concern for his education. Write an essay discussing what Mrs. Muller believes to be true about her son and how that affects what she thinks is best for him? Why does she appreciate Father Flynn's interest in her son rather than worry about it?
Essay Topic 2
The nature of the church's teachings play a role in this play even though they are never overtly discussed. Father Flynn's and Sister James' views on how students ought to be taught vary considerably from Sister Aloysius' views. Write an essay discussing how each of the teachers feel about the way students should be treated, how the rules should be followed, and whether or not the secular world should be included.
Essay Topic 3
Parables are used in a number of ways throughout the play. We see them in the sermons Father Flynn delivers and in the play itself. Describe what a parable is, identify at least two parables and the lessons they teach that were given in sermons during the play, and discuss how the play itself fits the model of a parable. What lesson is the play intended to teach?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)