|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Flynn tell Sister James could happen to Sister Aloysius if her accusations became known?
2. What does Sister Aloysius say she did before Father Flynn came to her office in Scene 8?
3. How does Sister James describe Donald Muller at Father Flynn's departure?
4. What does Sister Aloysius say wouldn't have worked if Father Flynn was innocent?
5. Who does the gossiping woman in Father Flynn's sermon on gossip represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Muller's relationship with her husband is much like Sister Aloysius' relationship with the men in the church. Write a brief essay explaining how these relationships are similar. What does Sister Aloysius attempt to do that Mrs. Muller seems afraid to do? What is the result?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of instances of compassion in this play. Compassion is displayed by characters we don't expect compassion from, and for characters we aren't certain deserve compassion. Write an essay discussing the ways in which compassion is used in this play. Who shows compassion and towards whom? Is the compassion warranted? From whom do we see unexpected compassion?
Essay Topic 3
The nature of the church's teachings play a role in this play even though they are never overtly discussed. Father Flynn's and Sister James' views on how students ought to be taught vary considerably from Sister Aloysius' views. Write an essay discussing how each of the teachers feel about the way students should be treated, how the rules should be followed, and whether or not the secular world should be included.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)