|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did the woman give for her response to Father O'Rourke's second request?
2. What reason does Sister James give Father Flynn for her trouble sleeping?
3. What does Sister Aloysius tell Mrs. Muller she wants from her?
4. Where does Scene 7 take place?
5. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius will not destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Muller say is the real reason Mr. Muller beat Donald?
2. In Scene 7, what indications does Sister James give that she takes Father Flynn's sermons very seriously?
3. What does Father Flynn seem to be most worried about if Sister Aloysius makes her accusations against him public?
4. What causes the woman in Father Flynn's sermon to feel guilty about gossiping?
5. What is strange about Father O'Rourke's reaction to the gossipy woman's confession in Father Flynn's sermon?
6. Why does Mrs. Muller say that it was Donald who was punished for drinking the wine instead of Father Flynn being punished for giving it to him?
7. In Scene 9, why is Sister Aloysius glad that Sister James went to see her family?
8. What does Sister Aloysius believe about Father Flynn's resignation from St. Nicholas?
9. In Scene 9, what does Sister James tell Sister Aloysius she thinks of Father Flynn?
10. In the second part of Scene 8, what does Father Flynn say is the real reason Sister Aloysius is after him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do Father Flynn's long fingernails tells us about him? What do they represent? How does Sister Aloysius feel about his fingernails? Why are Father Flynn's long fingernails significant?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Muller has an interesting way of protecting her son. This is revealed in how she feels about Donald's relationship with Father Flynn and her concern for his education. Write an essay discussing what Mrs. Muller believes to be true about her son and how that affects what she thinks is best for him? Why does she appreciate Father Flynn's interest in her son rather than worry about it?
Essay Topic 3
Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius both claim to act in a manner that protects and benefits the students at St. Nicholas. However, the ways in which they go about achieving this goal differ greatly. Discuss how each character tries to help the students. Why do their actions put them in opposition with one another even though they both ultimately want the same thing?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)