|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the woman who gossiped in Father Flynn's sermon do the night after she gossiped?
2. At the beginning of Scene 8, what is Sister Aloysius doing when Mrs. Muller arrives?
3. What reason did the woman give for her response to Father O'Rourke's second request?
4. What is Mrs. Muller's initial reaction to Sister Aloysius' when she is told Father Flynn may have made advances toward her son?
5. Who does Sister Aloysius tell Sister James she prayed for?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the second part of Scene 8, what reason does Father Flynn suggest for Donald's odd behavior?
2. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius is holding the school and parish back from?
3. In Father Flynn's sermon, what point is Father O'Rourke trying to make about gossip when he instructs the gossipy woman to pick up every last feather?
4. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
5. In Scene 7, what does Sister James say Sister Aloysius has done to take away her joy in teaching?
6. Why does Mrs. Muller say that it was Donald who was punished for drinking the wine instead of Father Flynn being punished for giving it to him?
7. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say that the truth makes for a poor sermon?
8. What causes the woman in Father Flynn's sermon to feel guilty about gossiping?
9. In Scene 9, what does Sister James tell Sister Aloysius she thinks of Father Flynn?
10. What happened to Father Flynn after he left St. Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Father Flynn innocent or guilty? Write an essay stating your opinion and using evidence from the play to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
What do Father Flynn's long fingernails tells us about him? What do they represent? How does Sister Aloysius feel about his fingernails? Why are Father Flynn's long fingernails significant?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author use the narrative technique of parables more than once in the play? What purpose does this repetition serve? Why is the play itself a parable? What characteristics of a parable does it have and what is the intended lesson?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)