|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Aloysius tell Father Flynn caused her to be watchful of him from the first day of school?
2. At the end of Scene 7, who does Father Flynn tell to be quiet?
3. What does Sister James say to Father Flynn as she leaves after their conversation in Scene 7?
4. Why does Father Flynn tell Sister James he avoids Donald Muller?
5. What does Sister Aloysius say has a price toward the end of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the second part of Scene 8, what reason does Father Flynn suggest for Donald's odd behavior?
2. In Scene 8, why does Mrs. Muller think she may have come to Sister Aloysius' office on the wrong day?
3. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
4. In Father Flynn's sermon, what point is Father O'Rourke trying to make about gossip when he instructs the gossipy woman to pick up every last feather?
5. What shocks Sister James about Sister Aloysius' call to Father Flynn's prior parish?
6. What does Father Flynn seem to be most worried about if Sister Aloysius makes her accusations against him public?
7. What does Father Flynn say is wrong about Sister Aloysius contacting his prior parish?
8. What reason does Mrs. Muller give Sister Aloysius for Donald drinking the altar wine?
9. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say that the truth makes for a poor sermon?
10. What does Sister Aloysius believe about Father Flynn's resignation from St. Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are so many ways in which doubt is raised throughout the course of the play. In Scene 5, we see a confrontation between Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius, and by the end the audience is left wondering if the battle is more personal than professional. What is your opinion on the confrontation? Is Sister Aloysius simply out to get Father Flynn because of personal differences, or is she truly concerned about his professional role with the students and their well-being? Provide examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What do Father Flynn's long fingernails tells us about him? What do they represent? How does Sister Aloysius feel about his fingernails? Why are Father Flynn's long fingernails significant?
Essay Topic 3
Scene 6 is extremely short, yet it serves an important purpose in the play. What is the purpose of Scene 6? Why does this brief scene work so well to achieve the author's purpose?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)