|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Scene 7, who does Father Flynn tell to be quiet?
2. Who did not want Donald Muller to attend St. Nicholas?
3. What does Sister Aloysius tell Sister James she told Father Flynn to make him leave?
4. In Scene 8, what does Sister Aloysius say will happen to Father Flynn after she exposes him?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Muller come to Sister Aloysius' office with Mrs. Muller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is strange about Father O'Rourke's reaction to the gossipy woman's confession in Father Flynn's sermon?
2. Why does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman to take a pillow to the roof in Father Flynn's sermon?
3. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
4. In Scene 8, why does Mrs. Muller think she may have come to Sister Aloysius' office on the wrong day?
5. What causes the woman in Father Flynn's sermon to feel guilty about gossiping?
6. What does Sister Aloysius believe about Father Flynn's resignation from St. Nicholas?
7. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say that the truth makes for a poor sermon?
8. In Scene 9, what reason does Sister James give Sister Aloysius for being unable to sleep?
9. What does Father Flynn seem to be most worried about if Sister Aloysius makes her accusations against him public?
10. What happened to Father Flynn after he left St. Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Muller's relationship with her husband is much like Sister Aloysius' relationship with the men in the church. Write a brief essay explaining how these relationships are similar. What does Sister Aloysius attempt to do that Mrs. Muller seems afraid to do? What is the result?
Essay Topic 2
The Catholic church is almost a character unto itself in Doubt: A Parable. Describe how the church hierarchy affects the characters and plot of the play. How do the nuns and priests interact with each other? If they were not governed by the church, how might the story have ended differently? Provide evidence from the play to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The nature of the church's teachings play a role in this play even though they are never overtly discussed. Father Flynn's and Sister James' views on how students ought to be taught vary considerably from Sister Aloysius' views. Write an essay discussing how each of the teachers feel about the way students should be treated, how the rules should be followed, and whether or not the secular world should be included.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)