|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Aloysius tell Father Flynn caused her to be watchful of him from the first day of school?
2. According to Father Flynn in Scene 7, to what do the most innocent actions seem sinister?
3. What does Father Flynn's appointment after leaving St. Nicholas turn out to be?
4. According to Mrs. Muller, what would Mr. Muller do to Donald if the situation at St. Nicholas gets out?
5. Who did not want Donald Muller to attend St. Nicholas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Muller say is the real reason Mr. Muller beat Donald?
2. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
3. In the second part of Scene 8, what does Father Flynn say is the real reason Sister Aloysius is after him?
4. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius is holding the school and parish back from?
5. What does Father Flynn seem to be most worried about if Sister Aloysius makes her accusations against him public?
6. What shocks Sister James about Sister Aloysius' call to Father Flynn's prior parish?
7. In Scene 7, what indications does Sister James give that she takes Father Flynn's sermons very seriously?
8. In Scene 9, why is Sister Aloysius glad that Sister James went to see her family?
9. In the second part of Scene 8, what reason does Father Flynn suggest for Donald's odd behavior?
10. What does Sister Aloysius believe about Father Flynn's resignation from St. Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius both claim to act in a manner that protects and benefits the students at St. Nicholas. However, the ways in which they go about achieving this goal differ greatly. Discuss how each character tries to help the students. Why do their actions put them in opposition with one another even though they both ultimately want the same thing?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of gender roles in the play? How do they affect the interactions of the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What are the doubts Sister Aloysius speaks of at the end of the play? Does she doubt Father Flynn's guilt? Is she doubting her position at the school? Does she doubt she's done the right thing by the students in having Father Flynn transferred?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)