|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Father O'Rourke tell the woman to do when she returned home after the second time he spoke with her?
2. Where does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius had no right to step?
3. How does Mrs. Muller say Donald was punished for being taken off the altar boys?
4. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius will not destroy?
5. According to Mrs. Muller, what is upsetting Donald?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Father Flynn comes to Sister Aloysius' office in the second part of Scene 8, why does she tell him he can't come in?
2. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
3. In Scene 7, what does Sister James say Sister Aloysius has done to take away her joy in teaching?
4. Why is does Mrs. Muller say that regardless of what Donald's trouble is at the school, he only needs to make it through until June?
5. In Scene 9, why is Sister Aloysius glad that Sister James went to see her family?
6. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius is holding the school and parish back from?
7. What does Father Flynn say is wrong about Sister Aloysius contacting his prior parish?
8. Why didn't Donald's father want him to attend St. Nicholas school?
9. In Scene 9, what does Sister James tell Sister Aloysius she thinks of Father Flynn?
10. Why does Mrs. Muller say that it was Donald who was punished for drinking the wine instead of Father Flynn being punished for giving it to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do Father Flynn's long fingernails tells us about him? What do they represent? How does Sister Aloysius feel about his fingernails? Why are Father Flynn's long fingernails significant?
Essay Topic 2
There are so many ways in which doubt is raised throughout the course of the play. In Scene 5, we see a confrontation between Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius, and by the end the audience is left wondering if the battle is more personal than professional. What is your opinion on the confrontation? Is Sister Aloysius simply out to get Father Flynn because of personal differences, or is she truly concerned about his professional role with the students and their well-being? Provide examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What are the doubts Sister Aloysius speaks of at the end of the play? Does she doubt Father Flynn's guilt? Is she doubting her position at the school? Does she doubt she's done the right thing by the students in having Father Flynn transferred?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)