|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Father O'Rourke tell the woman to do when she returned home after the second time he spoke with her?
2. In the sermon Father Flynn delivers in Scene 6, where did the gossipy woman go the day after she gossiped?
3. At the end of Scene 8, who does Father Flynn call?
4. What does Sister Aloysius say was Father Flynn's confession?
5. What does Sister James say to Father Flynn as she leaves after their conversation in Scene 7?
Essay Topic 1
In the end, do you think justice was served or was Father Flynn merely the subject of judgment? Why do you think this? Provide evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of gender roles in the play? How do they affect the interactions of the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Parables are used in a number of ways throughout the play. We see them in the sermons Father Flynn delivers and in the play itself. Describe what a parable is, identify at least two parables and the lessons they teach that were given in sermons during the play, and discuss how the play itself fits the model of a parable. What lesson is the play intended to teach?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)