|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Sister James give Father Flynn for her trouble sleeping?
2. What sin did Father O'Rourke say the gossipy woman had committed?
3. Sister James tells Father Flynn that Sister Aloysius is determined to do what?
4. What does Sister Aloysius say Father Flynn is a disgrace to?
5. What does Sister Aloysius tell Father Flynn caused her to be watchful of him from the first day of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Mrs. Muller give Sister Aloysius for Donald drinking the altar wine?
2. What happened to Father Flynn after he left St. Nicholas?
3. In Scene 9, what reason does Sister James give Sister Aloysius for being unable to sleep?
4. What causes the woman in Father Flynn's sermon to feel guilty about gossiping?
5. What does Sister Aloysius believe about Father Flynn's resignation from St. Nicholas?
6. In the second part of Scene 8, what reason does Father Flynn suggest for Donald's odd behavior?
7. What is strange about Father O'Rourke's reaction to the gossipy woman's confession in Father Flynn's sermon?
8. Why does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman to take a pillow to the roof in Father Flynn's sermon?
9. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius doesn't really care about the children?
10. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say that the truth makes for a poor sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the doubts Sister Aloysius speaks of at the end of the play? Does she doubt Father Flynn's guilt? Is she doubting her position at the school? Does she doubt she's done the right thing by the students in having Father Flynn transferred?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Muller's relationship with her husband is much like Sister Aloysius' relationship with the men in the church. Write a brief essay explaining how these relationships are similar. What does Sister Aloysius attempt to do that Mrs. Muller seems afraid to do? What is the result?
Essay Topic 3
The nature of the church's teachings play a role in this play even though they are never overtly discussed. Father Flynn's and Sister James' views on how students ought to be taught vary considerably from Sister Aloysius' views. Write an essay discussing how each of the teachers feel about the way students should be treated, how the rules should be followed, and whether or not the secular world should be included.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)