|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Father Flynn tell Sister James he avoids Donald Muller?
2. What did the woman tell Father O'Rourke was the result of his request?
3. In Scene 7, who does Sister James say needs to be convinced about Father Flynn?
4. In Scene 8, when Father Flynn enters Sister Aloysius' office, what does Sister Aloysius say they need?
5. What does Sister Aloysius confess to Sister James that she did not do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Muller say that it was Donald who was punished for drinking the wine instead of Father Flynn being punished for giving it to him?
2. Why didn't Donald's father want him to attend St. Nicholas school?
3. What does Mrs. Muller say is the real reason Mr. Muller beat Donald?
4. In Scene 9, why is Sister Aloysius glad that Sister James went to see her family?
5. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius is holding the school and parish back from?
6. What causes the woman in Father Flynn's sermon to feel guilty about gossiping?
7. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius doesn't really care about the children?
8. How is the sermon Father Flynn preaches in Scene 6 symbolic?
9. What does Father Flynn say is wrong about Sister Aloysius contacting his prior parish?
10. In Scene 7, what does Sister James say Sister Aloysius has done to take away her joy in teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author use the narrative technique of parables more than once in the play? What purpose does this repetition serve? Why is the play itself a parable? What characteristics of a parable does it have and what is the intended lesson?
Essay Topic 2
Doubt: A Parable contains several instances of symbolism, such as Father Flynn's fingernails, the crows harassing Father Flynn, the pruning of the rosebush, etc. Choose two symbols from the play. Discuss what each of them represents and provide evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of gender roles in the play? How do they affect the interactions of the characters and the plot?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)