|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Flynn say he won't be able to do if Sister Aloysius makes her suspicions known?
2. What reason does Sister James give Father Flynn for her trouble sleeping?
3. What is Sister Aloysius' response to Sister James' revelation about Donald Muller's feelings after Father Flynn leaves the school?
4. What does Mrs. Muller tell Sister Aloysius Donald has at St. Nicholas?
5. What was the woman's response to Father O'Rourke's second request?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 9, what reason does Sister James give Sister Aloysius for being unable to sleep?
2. In Scene 7, what does Sister James say Sister Aloysius has done to take away her joy in teaching?
3. What is strange about Father O'Rourke's reaction to the gossipy woman's confession in Father Flynn's sermon?
4. What reason does Mrs. Muller give Sister Aloysius for Donald drinking the altar wine?
5. In Scene 7, what indications does Sister James give that she takes Father Flynn's sermons very seriously?
6. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say that the truth makes for a poor sermon?
7. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
8. What shocks Sister James about Sister Aloysius' call to Father Flynn's prior parish?
9. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius is holding the school and parish back from?
10. In Scene 9, why is Sister Aloysius glad that Sister James went to see her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Muller has an interesting way of protecting her son. This is revealed in how she feels about Donald's relationship with Father Flynn and her concern for his education. Write an essay discussing what Mrs. Muller believes to be true about her son and how that affects what she thinks is best for him? Why does she appreciate Father Flynn's interest in her son rather than worry about it?
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the play we see characters performing typical daily routines, such as pruning a rosebush, listening to the radio, or talking to a basketball team. Yet not a word in this play is wasted. Each action is meant to reveal something about the characters. Write and essay examining two routine actions seen in the play and discuss what they reveal about the character performing them.
Essay Topic 3
There are so many ways in which doubt is raised throughout the course of the play. In Scene 5, we see a confrontation between Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius, and by the end the audience is left wondering if the battle is more personal than professional. What is your opinion on the confrontation? Is Sister Aloysius simply out to get Father Flynn because of personal differences, or is she truly concerned about his professional role with the students and their well-being? Provide examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)