|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 7, who does Sister James say needs to be convinced about Father Flynn?
2. What did Father O'Rourke say the gossipy woman had played fast and loose with?
3. What does Mrs. Muller tell Sister Aloysius she doesn't want?
4. What sin did Father O'Rourke say the gossipy woman had committed?
5. What does Sister Aloysius tell Sister James she told Father Flynn to make him leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Flynn seem to be most worried about if Sister Aloysius makes her accusations against him public?
2. In Scene 8, why does Mrs. Muller think she may have come to Sister Aloysius' office on the wrong day?
3. Why didn't Donald's father want him to attend St. Nicholas school?
4. What reason does Mrs. Muller give Sister Aloysius for Donald drinking the altar wine?
5. What reason does Father Flynn give Sister James for his not wanting to defend himself against Sister Aloysius' accusations?
6. In the second part of Scene 8, what reason does Father Flynn suggest for Donald's odd behavior?
7. In Scene 9, what does Sister James tell Sister Aloysius she thinks of Father Flynn?
8. Why does Mrs. Muller say that it was Donald who was punished for drinking the wine instead of Father Flynn being punished for giving it to him?
9. What does Sister Aloysius believe about Father Flynn's resignation from St. Nicholas?
10. In Scene 7, what indications does Sister James give that she takes Father Flynn's sermons very seriously?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Scene 6 is extremely short, yet it serves an important purpose in the play. What is the purpose of Scene 6? Why does this brief scene work so well to achieve the author's purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Parables are used in a number of ways throughout the play. We see them in the sermons Father Flynn delivers and in the play itself. Describe what a parable is, identify at least two parables and the lessons they teach that were given in sermons during the play, and discuss how the play itself fits the model of a parable. What lesson is the play intended to teach?
Essay Topic 3
There are so many ways in which doubt is raised throughout the course of the play. In Scene 5, we see a confrontation between Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius, and by the end the audience is left wondering if the battle is more personal than professional. What is your opinion on the confrontation? Is Sister Aloysius simply out to get Father Flynn because of personal differences, or is she truly concerned about his professional role with the students and their well-being? Provide examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)