|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Flynn say has been damaged through no fault of his own as he talks to Sister James in Scene 7?
2. What did Father O'Rourke tell the woman to do when she returned home after the second time he spoke with her?
3. In the sermon Father Flynn delivers in Scene 6, where did the gossipy woman go the day after she gossiped?
4. Why doesn't Mr. Muller come to Sister Aloysius' office with Mrs. Muller?
5. How does Sister Aloysius plan to get proof that Father Flynn molested children in his former parishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Flynn seem to be most worried about if Sister Aloysius makes her accusations against him public?
2. When Father Flynn comes to Sister Aloysius' office in the second part of Scene 8, why does she tell him he can't come in?
3. What causes the woman in Father Flynn's sermon to feel guilty about gossiping?
4. In Father Flynn's sermon, what point is Father O'Rourke trying to make about gossip when he instructs the gossipy woman to pick up every last feather?
5. What about the crow in Scene 7 reminds the audience of Sister Aloysius?
6. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius doesn't really care about the children?
7. What is strange about Father O'Rourke's reaction to the gossipy woman's confession in Father Flynn's sermon?
8. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius is holding the school and parish back from?
9. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
10. In Scene 7, what does Sister James say Sister Aloysius has done to take away her joy in teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Muller's relationship with her husband is much like Sister Aloysius' relationship with the men in the church. Write a brief essay explaining how these relationships are similar. What does Sister Aloysius attempt to do that Mrs. Muller seems afraid to do? What is the result?
Essay Topic 2
There are so many ways in which doubt is raised throughout the course of the play. In Scene 5, we see a confrontation between Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius, and by the end the audience is left wondering if the battle is more personal than professional. What is your opinion on the confrontation? Is Sister Aloysius simply out to get Father Flynn because of personal differences, or is she truly concerned about his professional role with the students and their well-being? Provide examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author use the narrative technique of parables more than once in the play? What purpose does this repetition serve? Why is the play itself a parable? What characteristics of a parable does it have and what is the intended lesson?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)