Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sister Aloysius say Donald Miller will lie to protect Father Flynn?
2. According to Mrs. Muller, what would Mr. Muller do to Donald if the situation at St. Nicholas gets out?
3. In the sermon Father Flynn delivers in Scene 6, where did the gossipy woman go the day after she gossiped?
4. What does Sister James say to Father Flynn as she leaves after their conversation in Scene 7?
5. What does Mrs. Muller say Father Flynn gives Donald?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of instances of compassion in this play. Compassion is displayed by characters we don't expect compassion from, and for characters we aren't certain deserve compassion. Write an essay discussing the ways in which compassion is used in this play. Who shows compassion and towards whom? Is the compassion warranted? From whom do we see unexpected compassion?
Essay Topic 2
What are the doubts Sister Aloysius speaks of at the end of the play? Does she doubt Father Flynn's guilt? Is she doubting her position at the school? Does she doubt she's done the right thing by the students in having Father Flynn transferred?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author use the narrative technique of parables more than once in the play? What purpose does this repetition serve? Why is the play itself a parable? What characteristics of a parable does it have and what is the intended lesson?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)