|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the sermon Father Flynn delivers in Scene 6, where did the gossipy woman go the day after she gossiped?
2. In Scene 8, when Father Flynn enters Sister Aloysius' office, what does Sister Aloysius say they need?
3. What reason did the woman give for her response to Father O'Rourke's second request?
4. What did the woman who gossiped in Father Flynn's sermon do the night after she gossiped?
5. What did Father O'Rourke tell the woman to do when she returned home after the second time he spoke with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
2. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius is holding the school and parish back from?
3. What reason does Mrs. Muller give Sister Aloysius for Donald drinking the altar wine?
4. Why does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman to take a pillow to the roof in Father Flynn's sermon?
5. Why is does Mrs. Muller say that regardless of what Donald's trouble is at the school, he only needs to make it through until June?
6. What does Father Flynn seem to be most worried about if Sister Aloysius makes her accusations against him public?
7. In the second part of Scene 8, what does Father Flynn say is the real reason Sister Aloysius is after him?
8. In Scene 8, why does Mrs. Muller think she may have come to Sister Aloysius' office on the wrong day?
9. Why does Mrs. Muller say that it was Donald who was punished for drinking the wine instead of Father Flynn being punished for giving it to him?
10. What causes the woman in Father Flynn's sermon to feel guilty about gossiping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the doubts Sister Aloysius speaks of at the end of the play? Does she doubt Father Flynn's guilt? Is she doubting her position at the school? Does she doubt she's done the right thing by the students in having Father Flynn transferred?
Essay Topic 2
Parables are used in a number of ways throughout the play. We see them in the sermons Father Flynn delivers and in the play itself. Describe what a parable is, identify at least two parables and the lessons they teach that were given in sermons during the play, and discuss how the play itself fits the model of a parable. What lesson is the play intended to teach?
Essay Topic 3
Scene 6 is extremely short, yet it serves an important purpose in the play. What is the purpose of Scene 6? Why does this brief scene work so well to achieve the author's purpose?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)