|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Father O'Rourke tell the woman to do when she returned home after the second time he spoke with her?
2. What does Father Flynn's appointment after leaving St. Nicholas turn out to be?
3. Sister James tells Father Flynn that Sister Aloysius is determined to do what?
4. How many parishes does Sister Aloysius discover Father Flynn has been assigned to in the past five years?
5. What reason did the woman give for her response to Father O'Rourke's second request?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 7, what indications does Sister James give that she takes Father Flynn's sermons very seriously?
2. What about the crow in Scene 7 reminds the audience of Sister Aloysius?
3. What is strange about Father O'Rourke's reaction to the gossipy woman's confession in Father Flynn's sermon?
4. What does Father Flynn say is wrong about Sister Aloysius contacting his prior parish?
5. In Father Flynn's sermon, what does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman she should be particularly ashamed of?
6. In the second part of Scene 8, what reason does Father Flynn suggest for Donald's odd behavior?
7. Why is does Mrs. Muller say that regardless of what Donald's trouble is at the school, he only needs to make it through until June?
8. What shocks Sister James about Sister Aloysius' call to Father Flynn's prior parish?
9. In Scene 9, what reason does Sister James give Sister Aloysius for being unable to sleep?
10. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say that the truth makes for a poor sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of instances of compassion in this play. Compassion is displayed by characters we don't expect compassion from, and for characters we aren't certain deserve compassion. Write an essay discussing the ways in which compassion is used in this play. Who shows compassion and towards whom? Is the compassion warranted? From whom do we see unexpected compassion?
Essay Topic 2
What are the doubts Sister Aloysius speaks of at the end of the play? Does she doubt Father Flynn's guilt? Is she doubting her position at the school? Does she doubt she's done the right thing by the students in having Father Flynn transferred?
Essay Topic 3
Is Father Flynn innocent or guilty? Write an essay stating your opinion and using evidence from the play to support your thoughts.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)