|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Father O'Rourke call the gossipy woman?
2. What did Father O'Rourke say the gossipy woman had played fast and loose with?
3. Why does Father Flynn tell Sister James he avoids Donald Muller?
4. What does Sister Aloysius tell Mrs. Muller she wants from her?
5. What amazes Sister Aloysius about her radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 8, why does Mrs. Muller think she may have come to Sister Aloysius' office on the wrong day?
2. Why does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman to take a pillow to the roof in Father Flynn's sermon?
3. In Scene 9, what does Sister James tell Sister Aloysius she thinks of Father Flynn?
4. What is strange about Father O'Rourke's reaction to the gossipy woman's confession in Father Flynn's sermon?
5. What does Father Flynn say is wrong about Sister Aloysius contacting his prior parish?
6. What does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius is holding the school and parish back from?
7. What reason does Father Flynn give Sister James for his not wanting to defend himself against Sister Aloysius' accusations?
8. When Father Flynn comes to Sister Aloysius' office in the second part of Scene 8, why does she tell him he can't come in?
9. Why is does Mrs. Muller say that regardless of what Donald's trouble is at the school, he only needs to make it through until June?
10. In Scene 7, why does Father Flynn say Sister Aloysius doesn't really care about the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Muller's relationship with her husband is much like Sister Aloysius' relationship with the men in the church. Write a brief essay explaining how these relationships are similar. What does Sister Aloysius attempt to do that Mrs. Muller seems afraid to do? What is the result?
Essay Topic 2
Sister Aloysius is both the protagonist and antagonist of the play. Write an essay discussing how she fits both of these roles. Provide examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
There are so many ways in which doubt is raised throughout the course of the play. In Scene 5, we see a confrontation between Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius, and by the end the audience is left wondering if the battle is more personal than professional. What is your opinion on the confrontation? Is Sister Aloysius simply out to get Father Flynn because of personal differences, or is she truly concerned about his professional role with the students and their well-being? Provide examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)