|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the play take place?
2. What does Father Flynn suggest they include in this year's pageant?
3. In his first sermon, what does Father Flynn say can be as powerful and sustaining as certainty?
4. In Scene 4, what does Sister Aloysius say she thinks Monsignor Benedict does not know?
5. What does Sister Aloysius say will have its consequence tomorrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Father Flynn, how did President Kennedy's death bring people together?
2. What does Father Flynn tell the boys is different about shooting from the foul line versus the rest of the basketball game?
3. What differs in Sister Aloysius' story about Sister Veronica tripping over the fallen limb that she tells Mr. McGinn versus what she tells Father Flynn?
4. In Scene 4, why is Sister Aloysius trying to protect the rosebush from frost even though there hasn't been any frost?
5. Why does Father Flynn tell the boys about his childhood acquaintance Timmy Mathisson?
6. When Sister Aloysius says good teachers are never content, what does she mean?
7. Why does Father Flynn say it's important to have a routine for shooting a free throw?
8. Why does Father Flynn say it is okay for him to wear his nails a little long?
9. Why does Father Flynn say it is dangerous to think at the foul line?
10. In Scene 2, what does Sister Aloysius refer to when she says that every easy choice today has a consequence tomorrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Scene 6 is extremely short, yet it serves an important purpose in the play. What is the purpose of Scene 6? Why does this brief scene work so well to achieve the author's purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Muller has an interesting way of protecting her son. This is revealed in how she feels about Donald's relationship with Father Flynn and her concern for his education. Write an essay discussing what Mrs. Muller believes to be true about her son and how that affects what she thinks is best for him? Why does she appreciate Father Flynn's interest in her son rather than worry about it?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of gender roles in the play? How do they affect the interactions of the characters and the plot?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)