|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does does Sister Aloysius say you're doing when you confront wrong doing?
2. In Scene 4, why does Sister Aloysius believe Donald Muller would lie about what happened with Father Flynn?
3. In Scene 2, what does Sister Aloysius want Sister James to be with the children?
4. How does Sister James say the students feel about Sister Aloysius?
5. What does the sailor in Father Flynn's sermon on doubt believe he may have once seen and has to hold on to without further reassurance?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 1, why does the sailor in Father Flynn's sermon feel despair when clouds cover the sky?
2. Why does Father Flynn say it is dangerous to think at the foul line?
3. How do we know that this play is set in 1964?
4. In Scene 4, why is Sister Aloysius trying to protect the rosebush from frost even though there hasn't been any frost?
5. When Sister Aloysius says good teachers are never content, what does she mean?
6. Why does Sister Aloysius want to see Sister James become more self-confident?
7. Why does Father Flynn say it's important to have a routine for shooting a free throw?
8. Why does Father Flynn compare the sailor's despair to a crisis of faith?
9. According to Father Flynn, how did President Kennedy's death bring people together?
10. Why is Sister Aloysius anxious at the beginning of Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Catholic church is almost a character unto itself in Doubt: A Parable. Describe how the church hierarchy affects the characters and plot of the play. How do the nuns and priests interact with each other? If they were not governed by the church, how might the story have ended differently? Provide evidence from the play to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Is Father Flynn innocent or guilty? Write an essay stating your opinion and using evidence from the play to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Muller has an interesting way of protecting her son. This is revealed in how she feels about Donald's relationship with Father Flynn and her concern for his education. Write an essay discussing what Mrs. Muller believes to be true about her son and how that affects what she thinks is best for him? Why does she appreciate Father Flynn's interest in her son rather than worry about it?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)