|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Flynn say is on the other side of the glass from happy, untroubled people when he delivers the sermon in the opening scene?
2. What did Mr. McGinn forget to do after pruning the rosebush?
3. What does Father Flynn tell the boys that a routine will do for them?
4. What does Sister Aloysius say it is important for children to have?
5. What happens after the sailor sets his course in the parable of the sailor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father Flynn say it's important to have a routine for shooting a free throw?
2. Why does Father Flynn say it is okay for him to wear his nails a little long?
3. Why does Sister Aloysius think William London is headed for trouble?
4. In Scene 5, what two things about Father Flynn shock Sister Aloysius?
5. What does Father Flynn tell the boys is different about shooting from the foul line versus the rest of the basketball game?
6. In Scene 2, what does Sister Aloysius refer to when she says that every easy choice today has a consequence tomorrow?
7. What is Father Flynn's relationship with the boys on the basketball team like?
8. Why is Sister Aloysius so certain that someone will hit Donald Muller?
9. In Scene 2, what is Sister Aloysius talking about when she asks: what good is a gift when it is left in the box?
10. What differs in Sister Aloysius' story about Sister Veronica tripping over the fallen limb that she tells Mr. McGinn versus what she tells Father Flynn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Muller has an interesting way of protecting her son. This is revealed in how she feels about Donald's relationship with Father Flynn and her concern for his education. Write an essay discussing what Mrs. Muller believes to be true about her son and how that affects what she thinks is best for him? Why does she appreciate Father Flynn's interest in her son rather than worry about it?
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the play we see characters performing typical daily routines, such as pruning a rosebush, listening to the radio, or talking to a basketball team. Yet not a word in this play is wasted. Each action is meant to reveal something about the characters. Write and essay examining two routine actions seen in the play and discuss what they reveal about the character performing them.
Essay Topic 3
Is Father Flynn innocent or guilty? Write an essay stating your opinion and using evidence from the play to support your thoughts.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)