|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 4, what does Sister Aloysius say that she wouldn't mind being?
(a) The basketball coach.
(c) A man.
2. How does Father Flynn end his opening sermon?
(a) With a hymn.
(b) He simply walks off.
(c) By asking the congregation to cast aside doubt.
(d) By saying Amen.
3. What is Sister Aloysius' function at the school?
(a) She is in charge of the infirmary.
(b) She teaches literature.
(c) She is principal.
(d) She teaches history.
4. What idea does Father Flynn have for a sermon while meeting with Sister Aloysius in Scene 5?
5. According to Sister Aloysius, what is a form of laziness?
(b) Lack of ambition.
(c) Skipping class.
(d) Skipping church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. McGinn forget to do after pruning the rosebush?
2. In his first sermon, what does Father Flynn say can be as powerful and sustaining as certainty?
3. What Christmas song does Sister Aloysius say is heretical?
4. In the opening scene of the play, Father Flynn describes the sailor's dilemma as what?
5. What does Father Flynn say was his reason for meeting with Donald Muller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father Flynn say it's important to have a routine for shooting a free throw?
2. How do we know that this play is set in 1964?
3. In Scene 1, why does Father Flynn say a private calamity is worse than a public one?
4. Why does Sister Aloysius say she cannot close her eyes to the situation with Father Flynn and Donald Muller?
5. In Scene 4, why does Sister Aloysius say that she cannot live her life in innocence?
6. In Scene 1, why does the sailor in Father Flynn's sermon feel despair when clouds cover the sky?
7. In Scene 2, what is Sister Aloysius talking about when she asks: what good is a gift when it is left in the box?
8. In Scene 5, what makes Father Flynn have an idea to preach a sermon on intolerance?
9. In Scene 4, why is Sister Aloysius trying to protect the rosebush from frost even though there hasn't been any frost?
10. Why does Sister Aloysius think the song Frosty the Snowman is heretical?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)