|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the play take place?
2. In the sermon delivered in Scene 1, for how long is the sailor at sea without a navigational aid?
(a) 40 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) One month.
(d) 20 days.
3. According to Father Flynn, when you're at the free throw line, it's you versus who?
(a) The ball.
(b) The clock.
(c) The hoop.
4. What observation does Sister Aloysius make about Father Flynn's hands during their meeting in Scene 5?
(a) His fingernails are long.
(b) He has feminine hands.
(c) He has a tiny tattoo on the back of his left hand.
(d) His hands are dirty.
5. What is Sister James' response when Sister Aloysius asks her if Donald Muller is being accepted.
(a) He is well liked.
(b) He is class president.
(c) He has a few friends.
(d) He has no friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the parable of the sailor, what is the raft made of?
2. What is Sister James' class doing while she is with Sister Aloysius in Scene 2?
3. Who takes sugar in their tea during the meeting between Sister Aloysius, Father Flynn, and Sister James?
4. Father Flynn tells the boys that people won't think they look silly when they do what?
5. According to Sister Aloysius, what is a form of laziness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do we know that this play is set in 1964?
2. In Scene 2, what does Sister Aloysius refer to when she says that every easy choice today has a consequence tomorrow?
3. In Scene 1, why does Father Flynn say a private calamity is worse than a public one?
4. Why does Sister Aloysius want to see Sister James become more self-confident?
5. Why is Sister Aloysius anxious at the beginning of Scene 5?
6. What is Father Flynn's relationship with the boys on the basketball team like?
7. Why does Father Flynn tell the boys about his childhood acquaintance Timmy Mathisson?
8. In Scene 5, when Father Flynn says that the sound of the wind must have been very lonely in frontier days, under what circumstance does Sister Aloysius say it would be lonely?
9. In Scene 2, what is Sister Aloysius talking about when she asks: what good is a gift when it is left in the box?
10. Why does Sister Aloysius say she cannot afford an excessively innocent teacher?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)