|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When speaking about doubt in Scene 1, what does Father Flynn say is worse than a society sharing a sense of despair?
(a) A society in fear.
(c) A joy not shared.
(d) A private calamity.
2. In the opening scene of the play, Father Flynn describes the sailor's dilemma as what?
(a) A nuisance.
(b) A loss of hope.
(c) A trivial matter.
(d) A crisis of faith.
3. Father Flynn tells the boys that people won't think they look silly when they do what?
(a) Win the game.
(b) Get a basket.
(c) Run out on the court.
(d) Get noticed by girls.
4. What does Father Flynn say will sometimes get you?
(b) Bad thoughts.
(c) The little things.
(d) Poor grades.
5. In which place does Sister Aloysius says innocence is wisdom?
(a) Only in the church.
(b) Only in a school.
(c) Only in heaven.
(d) Only in a world without evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Flynn say was his reason for meeting with Donald Muller?
2. What did Mr. McGinn forget to do after pruning the rosebush?
3. How does Sister Aloysius react to Father Flynn's reason for meeting privately with Donald Muller?
4. Sister Aloysius says the heart must be warm, but the ___ must be cold.
5. As the days roll on, what does the sailor in Father Flynn's sermon start to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do we know that this play is set in 1964?
2. Why does Sister Aloysius think William London is headed for trouble?
3. What is strange about Father O'Rourke's reaction to the gossipy woman's confession in Father Flynn's sermon?
4. Why does Father O'Rourke tell the gossipy woman to take a pillow to the roof in Father Flynn's sermon?
5. In the second part of Scene 8, what does Father Flynn say is the real reason Sister Aloysius is after him?
6. What does Mrs. Muller say is the real reason Mr. Muller beat Donald?
7. In Scene 1, why does the sailor in Father Flynn's sermon feel despair when clouds cover the sky?
8. Why does Sister Aloysius say that it makes sense for Father Flynn to take interest in Donald Muller?
9. What reason does Mrs. Muller give Sister Aloysius for Donald drinking the altar wine?
10. How is the sermon Father Flynn preaches in Scene 6 symbolic?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)