|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Father Flynn tells the boys that people won't think they look silly when they do what?
(a) Get noticed by girls.
(b) Run out on the court.
(c) Win the game.
(d) Get a basket.
2. What did Mr. McGinn forget to do after pruning the rosebush?
(a) Water the bush.
(b) Bring the flowers to Sister Aloysius.
(c) Clean up the clippings.
(d) Protect the bush from frost.
3. In Scene 3, what does Father Flynn tell the boys to do after getting dressed?
(a) Report back to the gym.
(b) Go do their homework.
(c) Get to class.
(d) Go to the rectory for kool aid and cookies.
4. In Scene 2, who is described as watchful, reserved, and unsentimental?
(a) Sister James.
(b) Donald Muller.
(c) Father Flynn.
(d) Sister Aloysius.
5. What happens to the ship in the parable of the sailor told by Father Flynn in Scene 1?
(a) The entire crew becomes ill.
(b) It arrives safely at the harbor.
(c) They throw Jonah overboard.
(d) It sinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sister James' response when Sister Aloysius asks her if Donald Muller is being accepted.
2. In Scene 3, what does Father Flynn tell the boys to join him for?
3. What does Father Flynn tell the boys girls will do if you approach them with "filthy paws?"
4. In Scene 2, what does Sister Aloysius ask Sister James to do when Sister Veronica is on the stone stairs?
5. What does Sister Aloysius say happened to her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sister Aloysius' work with the rosebush similar to her work at the school?
2. In Scene 1, why does Father Flynn say a private calamity is worse than a public one?
3. What does Father Flynn tell the boys is different about shooting from the foul line versus the rest of the basketball game?
4. Why does Father Flynn compare the sailor's despair to a crisis of faith?
5. How do we know that this play is set in 1964?
6. Why is Sister Aloysius anxious at the beginning of Scene 5?
7. Why does Sister Aloysius say she cannot close her eyes to the situation with Father Flynn and Donald Muller?
8. In Scene 2, what is Sister Aloysius talking about when she asks: what good is a gift when it is left in the box?
9. Why does Father Flynn say it's important to have a routine for shooting a free throw?
10. Why does Father Flynn say it is dangerous to think at the foul line?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)