|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lauren tell Nick to stop trying to seduce her?
2. Who is Nick's mistress?
3. What does Jim offer Lauren as she leaves the building?
4. Which of the following does Jim NOT do on his birthday?
5. Why is Lauren forced to take the assignment against her wishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keeps Lauren from giving in to Nick's charms and what does she demand of Nick?
2. How does Tony prove to be Lauren's only friend at this point?
3. What does Nick share with Lauren about the special project?
4. How does the author create tension in the story at this point?
5. How does Lauren prepare herself to encounter Nick at the executive party?
6. What is revealed about Lauren's character by her behavior regarding Nick's advances?
7. How does Jim alter the course of events and what happens to Nick and Lauren's relationship as a result?
8. What happened in Nick's relationship with his mother to affect his relationships with other women?
9. What does Laura learn about the relationship between Nick and Jim?
10. What surprises Lauren about a new assignment she gets at the office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Nick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in business in the late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 19th-century women did not have?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of good vs. evil. Identify at least two characters who embody both good and evil and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)