|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nick had agreed to not press charges if Lauren agreed to ____________________.
2. What seems to be Nick's strongest instinct?
3. Who is Nick's secretary?
4. What has Lauren lost which is the only thing she has left of her dead mother?
5. With whom does Lauren visit when Nick is out of town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Lauren's character by her behavior regarding Nick's advances?
2. What happened in Nick's relationship with his mother to affect his relationships with other women?
3. How does Tony prove to be Lauren's only friend at this point?
4. How does Jim's display of affection toward Lauren hasten Nick into revealing his feelings for her?
5. What does Lauren do when Nick shows up at her home and attempts to seduce her again?
6. What did Nick give Lauren before leaving the condo?
7. How does Jim come to Lauren's aid when Nick begins making advances again?
8. How does the author create tension in the story at this point?
9. What two pieces of information does Nick's lawyer reveal about Lauren?
10. How does Philip try to blackmail Lauren into spying for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain McNaught's use of humor in the story. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the play. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Philip. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)