|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dunworthy ask Montoya?
2. What causes missing the time frame by so many years?
3. What does Kivrin accidentally let slip?
4. Who does Kivrin hope has died?
5. What evidence does Montoya not find at the excavation site?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kivrin take Agnes to Father Roche and what is the outcome?
2. Describe the scene where Kivrin goes to mass with the family and her talk with Gawyn on the way home.
3. What does Kivrin first do upon realizing the date and what is wrong with the clerk?
4. How does Kivrin slip up and what does she do to try to cover her mistake?
5. What does Kivrin write in her Doomsday Book about various victims?
6. What does Andrew say when Dunworthy asks him to come work the lab machines? What does it not matter?
7. How does Dunworthy get into the lab and what does he discover when he goes inside?
8. What does Dunworthy realize when talking to Badri?
9. Describe the situation of Agnes dying.
10. Describe Mary Ahrens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kivrin is found and taken to be nursed at the home of an upper class family. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it says about the times and people that complete strangers are willing to take in a sick woman and care for her for days? Do you think they have any motives other than kindness? What would they be?
2. Kivrin seems to find a niche caring for the two daughters of Eliwys and seems to "join" the household. How likely is it that this sort of thing would happen in modern times? What do you think has changed from previous centuries that it is unlikely to happen in the 21st century America. Do you think it is a indication of a lack of compassion by "modern" humans? Or what?
3. Kivrin discovers her dress if finer and she is cleaner than anyone during this time. Does the family notice this fact? Does Kivrin attempt to blend in better by not bathing? Do you think even the highest nobles of the land (Kings, queens, dukes, etc...) were much cleaner than the family who takes Kivrin in? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
In order to set up the plot, the writer has to introduce two implausible events. Discuss the following:
1. Research and define the term "narrative contrivance" and give several examples of it from other books and movies you have read.
2. Analyze the two events that seem a bit too coincidental or farfetched that sets the rest of the story in motion. Consider that Montoya has unearthed some sort of virus from the excavation that is still viable and the fact that Badri is the first one to exhibit symptoms of the virus and that he does not communicate immediately while walking with Dunworthy back to the lab that Kivrin is in 1348. Is there any way theses "contrivances" could be left out and the plot move forward in much the same way that it does? What other ways are there to have gotten the same results?
3. Is much fiction in some ways a contrivance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The time this novel takes place in 2054, approximately 44 years from the present time of 2010. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think technology will have advanced far enough in 44 years to have developed time travel?
2. Willis wrote this book in 1992. Do you think Willis set the novel in the year 2054 because she believes time travel will be developed by then? If not, why do you think she sets the novel such a short distance in the future from the time she writes the book?
3. Does it hinder the ability to "believe" the novel in that it is set in the near future and has such a highly technical ability such as time travel? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)