|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Pearl after Zach jumps overboard to save the Queen?
(a) It runs aground.
(b) It hits the barge.
(c) It capsizes.
(d) It floats past East Liverpool.
2. What is the name of the sailboat the Zach finds at the end of the dock in Chapter 10?
(a) The Quest.
(b) The Pearl.
(c) The Neptune.
(d) The Kingfisher.
3. How far is the bus station from the diner where Zach, Alice, and Poppy eat in East Liverpool?
(a) 1 mile.
(b) 3 miles.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) 5 miles.
4. What does Zach recall about Alice's father's apparel in Chapter 12?
(a) That he wore cowboy boots.
(b) That he wore thick glasses.
(c) That he wore a police uniform.
(d) That he wore crazy ties.
5. What direction does "starboard" refer to on a boat?
(a) The right.
(b) The front.
(c) The left.
(d) The back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the librarian who discovers Alice, Zach, and Poppy in the library in Chapter 14?
2. Whose job is to prepare Eleanor's body for burial in Chapter 16?
3. Who hurls the Queen into the river in Chapter 11?
4. When does Zach's father say he will be at the library in East Liverpool to pick him up on the phone in Chapter 14?
5. What term refers to the part of a boat that you steer with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the boat to capsize in Chapter 11? How is it righted?
2. What prior sailing experience does Zach have when he pirates the boat? How does he employ this experience?
3. What secret of Alice’s is revealed by Poppy in Chapter 12? How does Zach respond?
4. How is the librarian described in Chapter 14? What is her response when she discovers the children in the library?
5. What conflict emerges between Poppy, Zach, and Alice in Chapter 10? What threats are made?
6. What conflict breaks out between Alice and Poppy in Chapter 11? What happens as a result of the conflict?
7. How do Alice, Poppy, and Zach enter the library in Chapter 13?
8. What does Zach dream about in Chapter 13?
9. What do Alice, Zach, and Poppy do at the library in Chapter 13?
10. What secret does Alice reveal of Zach’s in Chapter 12? Why?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)