|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beatrice's ranking among the initiates after stage two in Chapter Twenty-One?
2. What initiates are ranked eleventh and twelfth at the completion of the Dauntless training?
3. What fear does Peter undergo in the fear simulation in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
4. Whom does Beatrice describe as teaching her a card game after the release of the Erudite articles in Chapter Twenty-One?
5. In Chapter Thirty-Five, Natalie claims that she was born into what faction.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fears does Beatrice face in her fear landscape in Chapter Twenty-Nine? How does she overcome these fears?
2. Why does Beatrice hope to never see Christina again in the conclusion of the novel?
3. What new simulation do the initiates encounter in Chapter Twenty-Seven? How does Beatrice respond to this simulation?
4. What does Jeanine reveal about Divergents within the Abnegation faction in Chapter Thirty-Four?
5. How does Tori describe the abilities of those who are Divergent in Chapter Twenty?
6. What does Four say about his decision to join the Dauntless faction in Chapter Twenty-Six?
7. What thoughts does Beatrice have about her future after she has completed the Dauntless initiation in Chapter Thirty-Two?
8. What does Tori say happened to her brother? Why did this occur?
9. What are the first two fears in the fear landscape Beatrice encounters in Chapter Twenty-Five? Whose fears are these?
10. What does Four reveal about his aptitude test results in Chapter Twenty-Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the boundaries that surround the city in the novel. From what are the boundary walls protecting the city? What faction guards these boundary walls? Who lives outside the boundary? What do you think the boundary symbolizes in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Jeanine. What is Jeanine’s role within the Erudite faction? Where does Beatrice recognize Jeanine’s voice from when she first meets her? What are Beatrice’s perceptions of this character? What happens to Jeanine in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Eric in the novel. How old is Eric? Into what faction was Eric born? What information does Beatrice learn about Eric over the course of the story? Where is Eric when the novel ends?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)