|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What floor does Peter tell Beatrice to go to in the glass building in order to find the computers in Chapter Thirty-Seven?
2. Who accompanies Uriah when he comes to congratulate Beatrice on her ranking in Chapter Twenty-One?
3. In Chapter Thirty - Seven, who insists on accompanying Beatrice and the others to the Dauntless compound because he is good with computers?
4. Where does Beatrice awaken in Chapter Twenty-Two?
5. What color are Jeanine's eyes described as in Chapter Twenty-Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beatrice discover about Peter when she encounters him in the Dauntless compound in Chapter Thirty-Seven?
2. What thoughts does Beatrice have about her future after she has completed the Dauntless initiation in Chapter Thirty-Two?
3. Where is Beatrice going in the end of Chapter Thirty-NIne? Who is with her?
4. What causes Beatrice to reveal that she is not under the control of the serum in Chapter Thirty-Three?
5. What does Tori say happened to her brother? Why did this occur?
6. What fears does Beatrice face in her fear landscape in Chapter Twenty-Nine? How does she overcome these fears?
7. What discovery does Beatrice make in the final fear of the fear landscape in Chapter Twenty-Five?
8. What are the Dauntless initiates doing when Beatrice awakens in Chapter Thirty-Three? What does Beatrice do?
9. How does Beatrice go about coercing Peter to tell her where the computer room is located in Chapter Thirty-Seven?
10. What happens after the initiates complete their training in Chapter Thirty-One? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Al and Peter in the novel. How are they similar? How are they different? What brings Al and Peter together? What one act do they perform together? What is the fate of each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of Divergent. Is the story told in a linear or nonlinear fashion? Where in the narrative are the exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement? How traditionally structured is the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of bravery and selflessness in Divergent. How are selflessness and bravery compared in the narrative? Who makes this observation? Do you agree with this assessment? Why or why not?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)