|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What faction developed the mental simulations that are used in the novel?
2. What is the second fear that Four faces in his fear landscape in Chapter Twenty-Five?
3. Where has Beatrice been shot in Chapter Thirty-Six?
4. Whom does Beatrice describe as teaching her a card game after the release of the Erudite articles in Chapter Twenty-One?
5. What fear does Peter undergo in the fear simulation in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions does Four take in the beginning of Chapter Thirty-Nine?
2. What does Four reveal about his aptitude test results in Chapter Twenty-Five?
3. What happens after the initiates complete their training in Chapter Thirty-One? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
4. Why does Beatrice hope to never see Christina again in the conclusion of the novel?
5. What discovery does Beatrice make in the final fear of the fear landscape in Chapter Twenty-Five?
6. What sudden realization does Beatrice have when Four kisses her in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why does she not inform Four about this discovery?
7. What are the first two fears in the fear landscape Beatrice encounters in Chapter Twenty-Five? Whose fears are these?
8. What conclusion does Four reach after Beatrice's simulation in Chapter Twenty? Why?
9. How are the themes of fear and coming of age developed in Chapters Twenty-Five through Twenty-Seven?
10. How does Tori describe the abilities of those who are Divergent in Chapter Twenty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of competition that is established for the Dauntless initiates in the beginning of their initiation process. How many of the Dauntless initiates will be eliminated in the process of initiation? How many will be welcomed into the faction? How does this setup establish competition within the ranks?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Caleb? What faction does he join at the Choosing Ceremony? Why do you believe he joins that faction? What kind of job would you expect Caleb to have as a member of this faction? Do you believe Caleb belongs in this faction? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plan the Erudites have to take over control of the government and the city as a whole. How is the plan executed? What happens to bring the plan to a halt? Who is responsible for developing this plan? In your opinion, what are the character's motivations?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)