|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for Four's nickname?
2. Who sets Tris on fire using a torch in her fear landscape in Chapter Thirty?
3. Who is Four's father revealed to be in Chapter Twenty-Five?
4. What fear is Tris assigned to undergo in the fear simulation in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
5. Who says in Chapter Thirty-Seven, "Sometimes pain is for the greater good"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fears does Beatrice face in her fear landscape in Chapter Twenty-Nine? How does she overcome these fears?
2. What thoughts does Beatrice have about her future after she has completed the Dauntless initiation in Chapter Thirty-Two?
3. How does Tori describe the abilities of those who are Divergent in Chapter Twenty?
4. What new simulation do the initiates encounter in Chapter Twenty-Seven? How does Beatrice respond to this simulation?
5. How would you describe the development of the relationship between Beatrice and Four in Chapter Twenty-Two?
6. How does Natalie explain the different factions' fears and loathing of Divergents in Thirty-Five?
7. What does Tori say happened to her brother? Why did this occur?
8. What conversation does Beatrice overhear the night after the rankings are posted in Chapter Twenty-One? What interrupts Beatrice's spying?
9. What discovery does Beatrice make when she is taken to Jeanine's office in Chapter Twenty-Eight?
10. How does Beatrice go about coercing Peter to tell her where the computer room is located in Chapter Thirty-Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different forms of combat that are introduced to the Dauntless initiates during their training. What is the first form of combat the initiates are taught? Why do you think the initiates are taught gun-use prior to knife-use? How does this training benefit Beatrice later in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Divergent. What major clues are given by the author to indicate the time and place of the story? What modes of transportation are described? How do you envision the home where Beatrice lives with her family? Where are the different sectors of the city? What is the reason for how they are divided?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of coming of age in Divergent. In your opinion, how do Beatrice’s experiences within the Dauntless initiation serve as a metaphor for “growing up”? What are specific examples of activities by the initiates that help to develop this metaphor?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)