|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "brushes off spiders I can't see" during the fear simulation in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
2. Whom does Beatrice follow as the initiates arm themselves with guns and depart the dormitory in Chapter Thirty-Three?
3. Where does Beatrice say she recognizes Jeanine's voice from in Chapter Twenty-Eight?
4. How does Tris overcome the birds in her fear landscape in Chapter Thirty?
5. What faction does Beatrice discover to be ignoring the city ordinance for lights off at night in Chapter Twenty-Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Four reveal about his aptitude test results in Chapter Twenty-Five?
2. What actions does Four take in the beginning of Chapter Thirty-Nine?
3. How does Tori describe the abilities of those who are Divergent in Chapter Twenty?
4. What fears does Beatrice face in her fear landscape in Chapter Twenty-Nine? How does she overcome these fears?
5. What causes Beatrice and Caleb to argue in Chapter Twenty-Eight?
6. What is significant about Beatrice's choice of dinner in Chapter Twenty-Eight? Why does Beatrice sigh when she realizes what choices she's made?
7. How does Beatrice go about coercing Peter to tell her where the computer room is located in Chapter Thirty-Seven?
8. What are the Dauntless initiates doing when Beatrice awakens in Chapter Thirty-Three? What does Beatrice do?
9. What are the first two fears in the fear landscape Beatrice encounters in Chapter Twenty-Five? Whose fears are these?
10. How would you describe the development of the relationship between Beatrice and Four in Chapter Twenty-Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plan the Erudites have to take over control of the government and the city as a whole. How is the plan executed? What happens to bring the plan to a halt? Who is responsible for developing this plan? In your opinion, what are the character's motivations?
Essay Topic 2
What are the benefits of the faction system that society is dictated by in Divergent? What are the negative aspects of this system? Do you think that there are comparable social or governmental systems in our contemporary world? If so, what are some examples? If not, why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of family versus faction in Divergent. How does the society in which Beatrice lives perceive the importance of family? How do the concepts of family and family connections correlate to the importance of factions in the story?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)