|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what faction was Tori born?
2. Whom does Beatrice punch for taunting her in Chapter Twenty-Four?
3. Who says in Chapter Thirty-Seven, "Sometimes pain is for the greater good"?
4. Who is the instructor for the Dauntless-born initiates that presents her fear landscape in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
5. Whom does Beatrice find sitting at the controls in the computer room in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Four reveal about his aptitude test results in Chapter Twenty-Five?
2. Where is Beatrice going in the end of Chapter Thirty-NIne? Who is with her?
3. What is the first fear in the simulation that Beatrice faces in Chapter Twenty? How does Beatrice overcome the fear?
4. Why does Beatrice hope to never see Christina again in the conclusion of the novel?
5. What does Tori say happened to her brother? Why did this occur?
6. What new simulation do the initiates encounter in Chapter Twenty-Seven? How does Beatrice respond to this simulation?
7. What does Jeanine reveal about Divergents within the Abnegation faction in Chapter Thirty-Four?
8. How does Beatrice go about coercing Peter to tell her where the computer room is located in Chapter Thirty-Seven?
9. What is the central conflict that dominates Chapter Thirty-Eight? What internal conflicts does Beatrice face in this chapter?
10. How does Natalie explain the different factions' fears and loathing of Divergents in Thirty-Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Al and Peter in the novel. How are they similar? How are they different? What brings Al and Peter together? What one act do they perform together? What is the fate of each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the boundaries that surround the city in the novel. From what are the boundary walls protecting the city? What faction guards these boundary walls? Who lives outside the boundary? What do you think the boundary symbolizes in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Four in the narrative. Why is he called Four? What is his real name? What was his birth faction? What kind of character is he? What motivates Four?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)