|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What faction does Beatrice tell her friends that her aptitude test results suggested she was suited for in Chapter Sixteen?
2. What color is the liquid tinted in the syringe that Beatrice is injected with during the fear simulation in Chapter Eighteen?
3. What is Beatrice's ranking in Chapter Sixteen?
4. During Beatrice's aptitude test, she sees a table before her. Beatrice must choose between which two options on the table?
5. Into how many stages is initiation into Dauntless divided?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Dauntless faction's function within society? How has this faction changed over time?
2. Who does Christina fight in her first round in Chapter Nine? What is the outcome of this fight?
3. How would you describe Beatrice's world view in the beginning of the novel? How does Beatrice perceive the Abnegation faction?
4. What role does Beatrice play in the paintball game in Chapter Twelve?
5. What violent event takes place after the rankings are posted in Chapter Sixteen?
6. How is the theme of trust demonstrated through Beatrice's adventure with the Dauntless-born initiates in Chapter Seventeen?
7. Would you describe Al as a loyal character? Why or why not?
8. How is the theme of trust demonstrated in Beatrice's decision to join the Dauntless faction?
9. What function does the Abnegation faction fulfill within the faction society? Why is this their duty?
10. How would you describe the level of competition between Beatrice, Will, and Christina as the initiates pass into stage two of training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of coming of age in Divergent. In your opinion, how do Beatrice’s experiences within the Dauntless initiation serve as a metaphor for “growing up”? What are specific examples of activities by the initiates that help to develop this metaphor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Jeanine. What is Jeanine’s role within the Erudite faction? Where does Beatrice recognize Jeanine’s voice from when she first meets her? What are Beatrice’s perceptions of this character? What happens to Jeanine in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Eric in the novel. How old is Eric? Into what faction was Eric born? What information does Beatrice learn about Eric over the course of the story? Where is Eric when the novel ends?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)