|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what ideal is the Amity faction dedicated?
2. How long has it been since Beatrice has seen Caleb in Chapter Twelve?
3. What does Beatrice land on when she jumps into the unseen entrance to the Dauntless headquarters in Chapter Six?
4. During Beatrice's aptitude test, she sees a table before her. Beatrice must choose between which two options on the table?
5. How long does Four say that Tris's fear simulation lasted in Chapter Eighteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Four inform Beatrice about the simulation before it begins in Chapter Eighteen?
2. How would you describe Beatrice's world view in the beginning of the novel? How does Beatrice perceive the Abnegation faction?
3. How would you describe the level of competition between Beatrice, Will, and Christina as the initiates pass into stage two of training?
4. What is the article about that is circulating around the compound in Chapter Nineteen? What are Beatrice's thoughts on the article?
5. What do the Dauntless initiates know about the initiation program as they enter into it?
6. What violent event takes place after the rankings are posted in Chapter Sixteen?
7. Would you describe Al as a loyal character? Why or why not?
8. How would you describe the relationships between the different factions in the novel? How have these relationships changed over time?
9. How is the theme of trust demonstrated in Beatrice's decision to join the Dauntless faction?
10. How is the theme of trust demonstrated through Beatrice's adventure with the Dauntless-born initiates in Chapter Seventeen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Four in the narrative. Why is he called Four? What is his real name? What was his birth faction? What kind of character is he? What motivates Four?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Jeanine. What is Jeanine’s role within the Erudite faction? Where does Beatrice recognize Jeanine’s voice from when she first meets her? What are Beatrice’s perceptions of this character? What happens to Jeanine in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of coming of age in Divergent. In your opinion, how do Beatrice’s experiences within the Dauntless initiation serve as a metaphor for “growing up”? What are specific examples of activities by the initiates that help to develop this metaphor?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)