|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is ranked first amongst the non-Dauntless-born initiates in Chapter Eighteen?
2. Whom does Eric pick first for his team in Chapter Twelve?
3. To what ideal is the Amity faction dedicated?
4. What does Natalie tell Beatrice to ask Caleb to research when she visits him in Chapter Fifteen?
5. Who throws the knife that nicks Beatrice in Chapter Thirteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of trust demonstrated in Beatrice's decision to join the Dauntless faction?
2. How is the theme of trust demonstrated through Beatrice's adventure with the Dauntless-born initiates in Chapter Seventeen?
3. How would you describe Beatrice's world view in the beginning of the novel? How does Beatrice perceive the Abnegation faction?
4. What function does the Abnegation faction fulfill within the faction society? Why is this their duty?
5. What foreshadowing is revealed when Natalie meets Four in Chapter Fifteen?
6. How would you describe the relationships between the different factions in the novel? How have these relationships changed over time?
7. Why is the derogatory term "stiff" used to insult Beatrice in the novel? How is this term derived?
8. What thoughts does Beatrice entertain regarding the Abnegation faction as she awaits her aptitude test in Chapter Two?
9. What do the Dauntless initiates know about the initiation program as they enter into it?
10. How would you describe the level of competition between Beatrice, Will, and Christina as the initiates pass into stage two of training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of coming of age in Divergent. In your opinion, how do Beatrice’s experiences within the Dauntless initiation serve as a metaphor for “growing up”? What are specific examples of activities by the initiates that help to develop this metaphor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plan the Erudites have to take over control of the government and the city as a whole. How is the plan executed? What happens to bring the plan to a halt? Who is responsible for developing this plan? In your opinion, what are the character's motivations?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different forms of combat that are introduced to the Dauntless initiates during their training. What is the first form of combat the initiates are taught? Why do you think the initiates are taught gun-use prior to knife-use? How does this training benefit Beatrice later in the novel?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)