|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Beatrice's aptitude test, she sees a table before her. Beatrice must choose between which two options on the table?
2. Who has been attacked during the night in Chapter Seventeen?
3. What nickname does Beatrice assign herself as a Dauntless initiate?
4. How does Natalie describe Andrew's attitude regarding Beatrice and Caleb's choices on Choosing Day in Chapter Fifteen?
5. What is Christina's former faction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal conflicts is Beatrice struggling with as she begins initiation into the Dauntless faction?
2. How would you characterize Eric based on his introduction in Chapter Six? What does Eric tell the initiates about their dorm room?
3. How would you describe Beatrice's world view in the beginning of the novel? How does Beatrice perceive the Abnegation faction?
4. What does Four inform Beatrice about her performance in the simulation in Chapter Eighteen?
5. How does Eric describe the rules of battle when fight training begins? Who fights the first round?
6. What is the role of the Erudite faction within the faction society? How has the Erudite faction evolved?
7. Would you describe Al as a loyal character? Why or why not?
8. What information does Christina coerce out of Beatrice regarding her aptitude test in Chapter Sixteen?
9. How is the theme of trust demonstrated through Beatrice's adventure with the Dauntless-born initiates in Chapter Seventeen?
10. What do Beatrice and Al discuss in the dorm room in the beginning of Chapter Sixteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Natalie Prior. How does Beatrice’s mother differ from her father? What clues to Natalie’s past are revealed in the course of the narrative? What does Beatrice make of these clues?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of bravery and selflessness in Divergent. How are selflessness and bravery compared in the narrative? Who makes this observation? Do you agree with this assessment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different forms of combat that are introduced to the Dauntless initiates during their training. What is the first form of combat the initiates are taught? Why do you think the initiates are taught gun-use prior to knife-use? How does this training benefit Beatrice later in the novel?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)