|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What floor does the elevator stop on when Beatrice, Uriah, and the other Dauntless ride it in Chapter Seventeen?
2. Whom does Will fight in the first round of fighting in Chapter Nine?
3. Where is Beatrice nicked by the knife in Chapter Thirteen?
4. What nickname does Beatrice assign herself as a Dauntless initiate?
5. Beatrice asserts to Eric in Chapter Thirteen that bullying is a sign of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Four inform Beatrice about the simulation before it begins in Chapter Eighteen?
2. What internal conflicts is Beatrice struggling with as she begins initiation into the Dauntless faction?
3. What is the role of the Erudite faction within the faction society? How has the Erudite faction evolved?
4. What is the Dauntless faction's function within society? How has this faction changed over time?
5. What information does Christina coerce out of Beatrice regarding her aptitude test in Chapter Sixteen?
6. What is the article about that is circulating around the compound in Chapter Nineteen? What are Beatrice's thoughts on the article?
7. Would you describe Al as a loyal character? Why or why not?
8. Where does Natalie lead Beatrice within the Dauntless compound in Chapter Fifteen? Why is this significant?
9. How would you describe Beatrice's world view in the beginning of the novel? How does Beatrice perceive the Abnegation faction?
10. How would you describe the level of competition between Beatrice, Will, and Christina as the initiates pass into stage two of training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aptitude tests that are given to Beatrice and her peers in Divergent. What elements does the exam entail? What does this test determine? How would you compare this aptitude test to the types of exams you’ve taken in school?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Four in the narrative. Why is he called Four? What is his real name? What was his birth faction? What kind of character is he? What motivates Four?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Jeanine. What is Jeanine’s role within the Erudite faction? Where does Beatrice recognize Jeanine’s voice from when she first meets her? What are Beatrice’s perceptions of this character? What happens to Jeanine in the story?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)