|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Mr. Frank have before he goes into hiding?
2. What does Peter want to do when he gets out of hiding?
3. Who does Anne ask to sit with her on the night she wakes the entire house?
4. Why does Mr. Frank say he is leaving the city at the beginning of the book?
5. What question does Anne ask Mrs. Van Daan about her life before her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What very important question does Anne ask Peter about Margot, and how does Peter respond to this?
2. What does Mrs. Van Daan criticize Mr. Dussel for during the Hannukah celebration?
3. What happens to Mr. Dussel after Peter and Anne finish their conversation on New Year's?
4. Why does Mr. Frank say he is not staying in the city?
5. What good news does Miep bring to the hiding families on the day the food thief is caught?
6. Why is Mr. Dussel so frustrated by Anne's nightmares?
7. What happens a few weeks after Anne writes about rats stealing their food?
8. What does Miep show Mr. Frank before she leaves, and how does Mr. Frank respond?
9. What does Mr. Van Daan give to Miep to sell, and what does he want her to buy with it?
10. What happens when the Germans come into power in Holland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)