|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Frank say he is leaving the city at the beginning of the book?
2. What does the girl save for Mr. Frank to look at?
3. Who makes the noise heard down below the apartment?
4. Which side of Anne does she say is on the surface while she is in hiding?
5. Why does Mr. Van Daan threaten to put Peter's cat outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne tell Peter is the worst part of hiding for her?
2. What happens when Anne gets a box from her father on their first day in hiding?
3. What does Mr. Frank say just as the police pull up to the building?
4. What does Anne tell her father when they are alone after her nightmare?
5. What does Anne say she misses most about her freedom after a year and a half of hiding?
6. What does Mr. Dussel say when Mr. Van Daan complains about the rations?
7. Who does Mr. Van Daan blame for his life ending up in hiding, and what are his reasons for thinking this way?
8. What does Mr. Kraler ask of the hiding family, and what is their response?
9. What happens when Peter and Anne take off their yellow stars?
10. What does Mrs. Van Daan criticize Mr. Dussel for during the Hannukah celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy are themes present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of these themes, and how does the presence of these themes affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair, and how does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Kraler was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How does he accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had he not been included in the story line?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)