|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Leiter retire from the CIA?
2. Who does M say is the only people who can handle the job?
3. What does Bond want to celebrate?
4. What newspaper does Bond say his secretary can post his files to?
5. Who does M the carriers probably hand the diamonds over to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does M show Bond in his office?
2. What does the article say about Saratoga Springs?
3. Describe Bond's journey from the plane to the House of Diamond's New York offices.
4. What does Tiffany know about the smuggling ring?
5. What information does Leiter give Bond about Tiffany?
6. What message does the Chief of Staff leave for Bond?
7. How does Bond meet Felix Leiter?
8. Why is the man so anxious?
9. Why can't the Scotland Yard prove that the House of Diamonds is a front for diamond smuggling?
10. What does the man think as the helicopter flies away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fleming writes Diamonds Are Forever in the third person. Why do you think Fleming chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Fleming wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Fleming worked as an intelligence officer during World War II, adhering to the rule that writers should write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Fleming knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Fleming does not portray a character or setting so well? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)