|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Cressida write a note to express her pleasure at the performance in the restaurant?
2. What does Cressida confide to Carrie concerning Cressida's fortune?
3. What does Bouchalka do when he is twenty-one?
4. A year later, over what were Georgie and Julie still wrangling?
5. Who is named executors of Cressida's will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story opens with Cressida on an ocean voyage and ends with her death also while on an ocean voyage. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Why do you think Ms Cather chooses to frame or book end the story with ocean voyages?
2. Compare and contrast the two ocean voyages and possible symbolic meanings of each.
3. Do you think it appropriate that Cressida dies on the Titanic? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are many and varied, especially for a short story. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Which character did you find most likable? Why? Which one is least likable? Why?
2. If you were to pick one character with whom you would form a friendship, who would it be? Why?
3. Which character is most like you? Explain the similarities.
4. Which character is least like you? Explain the similarities.
Essay Topic 3
Cressida's professional life was quite successful; however, her personal life is a mess. This often seems to be the case among artists, especially celebrities. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience.
1. Compare and contrast Cressida's personal life with her professional life.
2. Compare and contrast 2 real-life celebrities' professional and personal lives (in as much as is reported about them).
3. Write an instructive essay on how one can maintain both a healthy private and professional life at the same time.
This section contains 2,661 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)