|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cressida realize she is recognized in the restaurant?
2. Why would it be natural that Brown gets along well with Poppas?
3. As Bouchalka spends more time with Cressida, who is seen less often with her?
4. Who contests the bequest to Poppas?
5. How does Jerome Brown obtain money for his investments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cressida is described by various adjectives throughout the story, as well as through her actions. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Name three of Cressida's most outstanding characteristics and give an example of it in the story.
2. Is Cressida presented as a well-rounded character? Why or why not? Give examples to support your stance.
3. Would those characteristics thought to be admirable of Cressida in her era still be considered admirable today? Name the characteristics you consider and explain your stance.
Essay Topic 2
Another aspect of art which Cather seems to explore is the idea of art for art's sake versus producing art as a means of earning a living. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Should artists have to worry about earning a living or should they receive some sort of stipend out of public funding? Discuss your ideas fully.
2. Discuss the patronage system that has existed in the art world for centuries. Include a discussion of several famous artists who were only able to produce their art because a wealthy patron took care of their day-to-day necessities.
3. In the 21st century, many cultures subsidize artists so they can produce art without worrying about things such as food and shelter. If all artists had to make a living with their art, what sort of impact would this have on culture? Would the quality of art improve or decline? What about the quantity?
Essay Topic 3
For much of Cressida's professional life, she is on top of the game. She is often chosen for a part over other better singers because of her vitality and sureness. In the latter part of her life, her energy flags as does her career. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Why do you think Cressida is more successful when she enjoys her singing as opposed to when she has to sing to earn money when she is married to her last husband?
2. Do personal relationships impact the quality of output by an artist?
3. How can a personal relationship enhance one's artistic production?
4. Is there anything you feel so passionate about that you think a romantic relationship would hinder? Explain your stance.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)