|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of a bequest goes to Poppas?
2. To whom does Carrie compare Jerome Brown?
3. How does Bouchalka justify his actions?
4. What is Henry Gilbert's occupation?
5. How much does Cressida's marketable property yield?
Essay Topic 1
Once a story, novel, or movie has been experienced in its entirety, it is obvious where there are instances of foreshadowing. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Explain the technique of foreshadowing used in this story.
2. Describe some situations that can be considered foreshadowing. Why are they examples of foreshadowing?
3. What are the benefits of using foreshadowing?
4. Is foreshadowing necessary in order for the writer to be fair to the reader? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Cressida is described by various adjectives throughout the story, as well as through her actions. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Name three of Cressida's most outstanding characteristics and give an example of it in the story.
2. Is Cressida presented as a well-rounded character? Why or why not? Give examples to support your stance.
3. Would those characteristics thought to be admirable of Cressida in her era still be considered admirable today? Name the characteristics you consider and explain your stance.
Essay Topic 3
One of the first characters encountered in the story is a man by the name of Miletus Poppas. Poppas plays a significant role in Cressida's life. In fact, Cressida attributes her success solely to this man. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your life experience:
1. Briefly describe both the physical and emotional characteristics of Poppas.
2. Give examples from the story as to whether you believe Poppas was sincere in his love and admiration for Cressida.
3. After Cressida's death, Poppas receives a bequest of $50,000. Do you believe Poppas deserves this bequest? What does it say about the family in that they contest this bequest?
This section contains 2,602 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)