|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brown's main failing?
2. How does Carrie view the letters from Cressida to family members?
3. Why is Cressida's stateroom lower in the ship than usual?
4. Why would it be natural that Brown gets along well with Poppas?
5. Why does Carrie think Bouchalka is less driven now in his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the section concerning Bouchalka, Cressida divorces him when she finds him engaged in sexual relations with the cook. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Should Cressida have forgiven Bouchalka and continued in the marriage? Why or Why not? Do you think if she had, Bouchalka would have stay faithful? Why or why not?
2. Is it realistic to expect a long-term relationship to be absolutely monogamous? Why or Why not? What are the benefits of monogamy? The cons?
3. Some couples choose to have an open relationship and accept that his/her partner will sometimes have other sexual liaisons. Is this a workable way to conduct a relationship? What are the pros and cons to such an arrangement?
Essay Topic 2
Family relationships are a recurrent theme throughout this story. In Cressida's case, she seems to have a fairly parasitic relationship with her family members. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. How much obligation does a person have to their parents? Siblings? Other family members? Explain your answers using specific examples.
2. For a child who is raised in an abusive home (whether sexual, verbal, or physical or some combination thereof), it seems that child as an adult often responds to his/her family in one of two ways: 1. S/he continues to try to "please" the abuser and others who allowed the abuse or (2.) They reject the abuser and those associated with the abuser and have nothing further to do with them. Are either of these responses healthy? How do you think you would respond? Explains in as far as you are comfortable. What is a possible compromise to these two extremes?
3. Why do you believe Cressida allows her family and husbands to take such outrageous advantage of her? Would you do so in her situation?
4. How would you treat your family members were you very wealthy if they were of the ilk that Cressida's family is? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Cressida's professional life was quite successful; however, her personal life is a mess. This often seems to be the case among artists, especially celebrities. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience.
1. Compare and contrast Cressida's personal life with her professional life.
2. Compare and contrast 2 real-life celebrities' professional and personal lives (in as much as is reported about them).
3. Write an instructive essay on how one can maintain both a healthy private and professional life at the same time.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)