|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brown's main failing?
2. As Bouchalka spends more time with Cressida, who is seen less often with her?
3. Why is the violin player rummaging through a pile of papers?
4. How long does it seem to Carrie that Bouchalka has been at Cressida's house when Carrie arrives on her next visit?
5. How does Jerome Brown obtain money for his investments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Carrie is strolling about the ship, she comes upon Cressida and her son and sister. Cressida and Carrie immediately stroll together to talk. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience.
1. Who is Carrie in relationship to Cressida?
2. Would you characterize Carrie as a loyal and sincere friend? Give examples to support your stance.
3. Cary is the narrator of the story; what is the perspective of her narration? Is the perspective effective? How would the story change if written the perspective changes? What if Julia or Horace were the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 4, when Carrie writes about Cressida being lost on the Titanic, Carrie explains that one reason Cressida waited to sail on the Titanic instead of returning a week earlier with Poppas and Horace is for the exposure to the press she would receive. Carrie writes that Cressida "believed that all advertising was good." Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Compare and contrast how advertising is used today versus how it is used in the era of the Titanic's sinking.
2. Discuss the various goals of advertising and some means advertiser use to obtain those goals.
3. Should advertisers be regulated by the government? Why or why not? Use explicit examples to support your stance.
Essay Topic 3
The story opens with Cressida on an ocean voyage and ends with her death also while on an ocean voyage. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Why do you think Ms Cather chooses to frame or book end the story with ocean voyages?
2. Compare and contrast the two ocean voyages and possible symbolic meanings of each.
3. Do you think it appropriate that Cressida dies on the Titanic? Why or Why not?
This section contains 2,654 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)