|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blasius Bouchalka send Cressida?
2. With whom do Carrie and Henry stand on one matter of Cressida's will?
3. What is in the photograph which Poppas sends Carrie?
4. Who contests the bequest to Poppas?
5. In what does Bouchalka seem to lose interest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the very first paragraph of part 1, the readers see a well-known phenomenon which today is labeled paparazzi. Fame does not come without its costs, though most celebrities believe these costs are worth the fame. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your life experience:
1. Define fame using both the dictionary and your own ideas of what fame means.
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being famous?
3. Would you desire to be famous. Why or why not?
4. What do you think is the cost to Cressida for her fame?
Essay Topic 2
Cressida is described by various adjectives throughout the story, as well as through her actions. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Name three of Cressida's most outstanding characteristics and give an example of it in the story.
2. Is Cressida presented as a well-rounded character? Why or why not? Give examples to support your stance.
3. Would those characteristics thought to be admirable of Cressida in her era still be considered admirable today? Name the characteristics you consider and explain your stance.
Essay Topic 3
Another aspect of art which Cather seems to explore is the idea of art for art's sake versus producing art as a means of earning a living. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Should artists have to worry about earning a living or should they receive some sort of stipend out of public funding? Discuss your ideas fully.
2. Discuss the patronage system that has existed in the art world for centuries. Include a discussion of several famous artists who were only able to produce their art because a wealthy patron took care of their day-to-day necessities.
3. In the 21st century, many cultures subsidize artists so they can produce art without worrying about things such as food and shelter. If all artists had to make a living with their art, what sort of impact would this have on culture? Would the quality of art improve or decline? What about the quantity?
This section contains 2,598 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)