|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Carrie think Bouchalka is less driven now in his work?
2. How does Carrie describe the violin player?
3. To where does Poppas move?
4. In what does Bouchalka seem to lose interest?
5. How is Poppas seated in Cressida's car awaiting word of survivors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another aspect of art which Cather seems to explore is the idea of art for art's sake versus producing art as a means of earning a living. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Should artists have to worry about earning a living or should they receive some sort of stipend out of public funding? Discuss your ideas fully.
2. Discuss the patronage system that has existed in the art world for centuries. Include a discussion of several famous artists who were only able to produce their art because a wealthy patron took care of their day-to-day necessities.
3. In the 21st century, many cultures subsidize artists so they can produce art without worrying about things such as food and shelter. If all artists had to make a living with their art, what sort of impact would this have on culture? Would the quality of art improve or decline? What about the quantity?
Essay Topic 2
Cressida's professional life was quite successful; however, her personal life is a mess. This often seems to be the case among artists, especially celebrities. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience.
1. Compare and contrast Cressida's personal life with her professional life.
2. Compare and contrast 2 real-life celebrities' professional and personal lives (in as much as is reported about them).
3. Write an instructive essay on how one can maintain both a healthy private and professional life at the same time.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are many and varied, especially for a short story. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Which character did you find most likable? Why? Which one is least likable? Why?
2. If you were to pick one character with whom you would form a friendship, who would it be? Why?
3. Which character is most like you? Explain the similarities.
4. Which character is least like you? Explain the similarities.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)