|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jerome Brown's occupation?
2. Why do Carrie and Henry decide to support the person is question 169?
3. In a letter which Carrie discusses, what does Cressida ask of Jerome?
4. Who contests the bequest to Poppas?
5. What else does Cressida believe about the violin player?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cressida is described by various adjectives throughout the story, as well as through her actions. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Name three of Cressida's most outstanding characteristics and give an example of it in the story.
2. Is Cressida presented as a well-rounded character? Why or why not? Give examples to support your stance.
3. Would those characteristics thought to be admirable of Cressida in her era still be considered admirable today? Name the characteristics you consider and explain your stance.
Essay Topic 2
The story opens with Cressida on an ocean voyage and ends with her death also while on an ocean voyage. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Why do you think Ms Cather chooses to frame or book end the story with ocean voyages?
2. Compare and contrast the two ocean voyages and possible symbolic meanings of each.
3. Do you think it appropriate that Cressida dies on the Titanic? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 3
For much of Cressida's professional life, she is on top of the game. She is often chosen for a part over other better singers because of her vitality and sureness. In the latter part of her life, her energy flags as does her career. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Why do you think Cressida is more successful when she enjoys her singing as opposed to when she has to sing to earn money when she is married to her last husband?
2. Do personal relationships impact the quality of output by an artist?
3. How can a personal relationship enhance one's artistic production?
4. Is there anything you feel so passionate about that you think a romantic relationship would hinder? Explain your stance.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)