|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom do Carrie and Henry stand on one matter of Cressida's will?
2. What about Jerome Brown does Cressida feel fortunate?
3. To whom does Cressida write a note to express her pleasure at the performance in the restaurant?
4. As Cressida makes ready to marry Bouchalka, what does she do?
5. Who does not sail back to the States with Cressida, having gone on ahead a week earlier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cressida is described by various adjectives throughout the story, as well as through her actions. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Name three of Cressida's most outstanding characteristics and give an example of it in the story.
2. Is Cressida presented as a well-rounded character? Why or why not? Give examples to support your stance.
3. Would those characteristics thought to be admirable of Cressida in her era still be considered admirable today? Name the characteristics you consider and explain your stance.
Essay Topic 2
Another aspect of art which Cather seems to explore is the idea of art for art's sake versus producing art as a means of earning a living. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Should artists have to worry about earning a living or should they receive some sort of stipend out of public funding? Discuss your ideas fully.
2. Discuss the patronage system that has existed in the art world for centuries. Include a discussion of several famous artists who were only able to produce their art because a wealthy patron took care of their day-to-day necessities.
3. In the 21st century, many cultures subsidize artists so they can produce art without worrying about things such as food and shelter. If all artists had to make a living with their art, what sort of impact would this have on culture? Would the quality of art improve or decline? What about the quantity?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the section concerning Bouchalka, Cressida divorces him when she finds him engaged in sexual relations with the cook. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Should Cressida have forgiven Bouchalka and continued in the marriage? Why or Why not? Do you think if she had, Bouchalka would have stay faithful? Why or why not?
2. Is it realistic to expect a long-term relationship to be absolutely monogamous? Why or Why not? What are the benefits of monogamy? The cons?
3. Some couples choose to have an open relationship and accept that his/her partner will sometimes have other sexual liaisons. Is this a workable way to conduct a relationship? What are the pros and cons to such an arrangement?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)