|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cressida makes a surprise visit home during her tour, what does she find?
2. Where are Carrie and Cressida at the opening of Part 3?
3. To whom does Carrie write about the horrors of settling Cressida's will?
4. What does Cressida say she is doing?
5. What about Jerome Brown does Cressida feel fortunate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the section concerning Bouchalka, Cressida divorces him when she finds him engaged in sexual relations with the cook. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Should Cressida have forgiven Bouchalka and continued in the marriage? Why or Why not? Do you think if she had, Bouchalka would have stay faithful? Why or why not?
2. Is it realistic to expect a long-term relationship to be absolutely monogamous? Why or Why not? What are the benefits of monogamy? The cons?
3. Some couples choose to have an open relationship and accept that his/her partner will sometimes have other sexual liaisons. Is this a workable way to conduct a relationship? What are the pros and cons to such an arrangement?
Essay Topic 2
Although the term "co-dependence" was not known at the time when Cressida was alive, it is a concept that has been in practice for centuries. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Define the term "co-dependence" as used in a therapeutic sense.
2. Choose several situations that are described in the book involving Cressida and her inner circle and discuss whether you think she makes wise and healthy choices--or co-dependent ones.
3. Are there any situations in your life that seem similar (perhaps on a smaller scale) to that of Cressida's life? After reading this story, does it motivate you to change any part of your own interactions with those who are close to you?
Essay Topic 3
Another aspect of art which Cather seems to explore is the idea of art for art's sake versus producing art as a means of earning a living. Choose one of the following topics and write a well-developed essay using detailed examples from the book and from your own life experience:
1. Should artists have to worry about earning a living or should they receive some sort of stipend out of public funding? Discuss your ideas fully.
2. Discuss the patronage system that has existed in the art world for centuries. Include a discussion of several famous artists who were only able to produce their art because a wealthy patron took care of their day-to-day necessities.
3. In the 21st century, many cultures subsidize artists so they can produce art without worrying about things such as food and shelter. If all artists had to make a living with their art, what sort of impact would this have on culture? Would the quality of art improve or decline? What about the quantity?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)