|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Poppas seated in Cressida's car awaiting word of survivors?
(a) Slumped with shoulders drooping and chewing on his glove.
(b) Poppas is not in the car.
(c) Agitated, moving and fidgeting.
(d) Ramrod straight as if he is prepared to take the news like a man.
2. Why does Carrie view the walk in the park as a sort of adventure?
(a) Given Cressida's level of fame, walking in the park without one of her many attendants turns their outing into a kind of adventure.
(b) Because even in those days it was unsafe for two women to walk in the park alone.
(c) Because there are several small circus acts occurring in the park at this time.
(d) Because Carrie seldom gets to be alone with Cressida.
3. Why does Poppas move to where he does?
(a) It does not rain and he will not need a hot water bottle.
(b) To look for a wife now that Cressida is deceased.
(c) To become a bum.
(d) To get as far away from Cressida's family as possible.
4. As Bouchalka spends more time with Cressida, who is seen less often with her?
(d) The man she had been dating when she first met Bouchalka.
5. What is Henry Gilbert's occupation?
(a) A physician.
(b) A financier.
(c) A CEO.
(d) A lawyer.
6. What surprises Carrie about the family's emotions surrounding the letters?
(a) That they believe the letters prove their entitlement to money from the estate.
(b) That they are heartbroken when reading the letters to Carrie.
(c) That none of them has a sense of shame about the letters.
(d) That Cressida is so kind and loving in the letters.
7. What follows quickly after Cressida's discovery?
(a) She convinces him to return home.
(b) A divorce.
(c) She performs the opera at the Met.
(d) Bouchalka dies.
8. What is the major focus of Part 3?
(a) The relationship between Cressida and Charley.
(b) How Cressida meets, marries and divorces Blasius Bouchalka.
(c) The interaction of Cressida and her two sisters when they are young.
(d) The friendship of Carrie and Cressida.
9. What is Jerome Brown's occupation?
(d) Sea captain.
10. What does Bouchalka seem to enjoy?
(a) All the trappings of Cressida's high profile lifestyle.
(b) Learning to play golf.
(c) Having his own grand piano for composing.
(d) The idea of Cressida having children.
11. Where does Bouchalka study music?
(a) In Paris.
(b) At Julliard.
(c) At a monastery.
(d) On his own with no teacher.
12. To whom does Cressida write a note to express her pleasure at the performance in the restaurant?
(a) The orchestra's director.
(b) No one.
(c) The violin player.
(d) The restaurant owner.
13. How does Bouchalka justify his actions?
(a) By saying he would have forgiven a similar transgression by Cressida.
(b) By saying his father did the same thing he did.
(c) By saying he had Cressida's good at heart.
(d) By suggesting that his music was good even if she had influence in getting it performed.
14. With what does Cressida become enchanted?
(a) The cello playing.
(b) The trumpet playing.
(c) The conductor.
(d) The violin playing.
15. What does Gilbert do in order to uphold Cressida's will?
(a) Hires a good lawyer.
(b) Has Cressida's family barred from the proceedings.
(c) Lies to Cressida's family about the amount of her estate.
(d) Files a brief with the courts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poppas think of what Bouchalka sends Cressida?
2. What do those who contest the bequest show for evidence?
3. On the next visit to the restaurant where Carrie and Cressida first saw Bouchalka, what do they learn?
4. What disappoints Cressida's sisters?
5. Why does Cressida think the violin player is either very poor or in some type of trouble?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)