|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the violin player rummaging through a pile of papers?
(a) Because he wants to write Cressida a note.
(b) Because he forgot his music.
(c) Because the conductor asks the violin player for his resignation.
(d) Because he wanted to find a piece of music he wrote.
2. Who contests the bequest to Poppas?
(a) No one.
(b) Only Horace.
(c) The IRS.
(d) Jerome and Cressida's family.
3. How do the two women evaluate the duet between the pianist and violin player?
(a) As too bright and fast for dinnertime music.
(b) As off key slightly.
(c) As mediocre.
(d) As brilliant.
4. How is Poppas seated in Cressida's car awaiting word of survivors?
(a) Poppas is not in the car.
(b) Slumped with shoulders drooping and chewing on his glove.
(c) Agitated, moving and fidgeting.
(d) Ramrod straight as if he is prepared to take the news like a man.
5. How do the family members act about the rest of Cressida's property?
(a) They give it to charity.
(b) The fight over it tooth and nail.
(c) They sue each other in court to gain an advantage.
(d) They calmly divide it evenly among them.
6. In a letter which Carrie discusses, what does Cressida ask of Jerome?
(a) For him to go away with her and live quietly where she can rest.
(b) For him to stop making investments and losing her money.
(c) For him to invest more wisely.
(d) For a divorce.
7. What is Brown's main failing?
(a) Running around on Cressida.
(b) Being antisocial.
(c) Poor investments on Wall Street.
(d) Having many greedy relatives.
8. Why do Carrie and Henry decide to support the person is question 169?
(a) They like that person (in question 169) better than anyone else.
(b) They believe it is what Cressida would have wanted.
(c) They say it is in the will and therefore it is sacrosanct.
(d) They do not support anyone over anyone else in matters of the estate.
9. On the next visit to the restaurant where Carrie and Cressida first saw Bouchalka, what do they learn?
(a) His name wasn't really Bouchalka.
(b) He was fired and no longer working at the restaurant.
(c) He had died from the illness which made him rush off from Cressida's home.
(d) He set sail back to Austria.
10. What is Jerome Brown's occupation?
(c) Sea captain.
11. Why is Cressida's stateroom lower in the ship than usual?
(a) She was accidentally assigned there and they have no better one to offer.
(b) She thought it'd be warmer in the chilly weather.
(c) She was trying to save money.
(d) She decides to get to know a different sort of people.
12. Why does Poppas move to where he does?
(a) To get as far away from Cressida's family as possible.
(b) It does not rain and he will not need a hot water bottle.
(c) To become a bum.
(d) To look for a wife now that Cressida is deceased.
13. To where does Poppas move?
(c) His city in Asia.
14. Who out of all those mentioned in the will actually contributed to Cressida's fortune?
(d) No one.
15. Where are Carrie and Cressida at the opening of Part 3?
(a) In Romania.
(b) In Columbus, Oh.
(c) In Central Park.
(d) On the ocean liner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poppas think of what Bouchalka sends Cressida?
2. How much of a bequest goes to Poppas?
3. To whom does Carrie write about the horrors of settling Cressida's will?
4. Who of the men in Cressida's car awaiting word of survivors actually cries?
5. How does the title of this story figure in in this part of the reading of the letters?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)