|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cressida makes the statement in Part II that she "very nearly escaped her destiny," of what might this be an example?
2. Who of Cressida's husbands was a music teacher and choir director?
(a) Her second husband.
(b) Her third husband.
(c) None of her husbands.
(d) Her first husband.
3. Whom does Carrie think has a sobering effect on Cressida?
(a) Miss Julia.
(b) Miss Lilly.
4. What most impresses Cressida's suitors about her?
(a) Her talent.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her generosity.
(d) Her competence.
5. Who is jealous of Cressida's success?
(a) Her ex-husbands.
(b) Her sister-in-law.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her two sisters.
6. Who is the primary provider during Cressida's first marriage?
(a) Cressida's father.
(b) Cressida's husband.
(d) Cressida's two sisters.
7. About what does Cressida turn suddenly melancholy?
(a) Her fiance's refusal to come on the ocean voyage.
(b) Why her sisters never are supportive.
(c) Why there are few events in her life that she would choose to revisit.
(d) Cressida's upcoming birthday.
8. What is probably the most positive emotion that exists between Poppas and Julie?
9. What statement is true concerning Poppas and Cressida?
(a) That they will eventually marry.
(b) That they only tolerate each other for the money they make together.
(c) That they are unbeknown to others actually half siblings.
(d) That neither could have become successful without the other.
10. What in Cressida's life had scandalous potential?
(a) The fact that Horace does not resemble his alleged father.
(b) The numerous lovers Cressida has while married.
(c) Cressida's relationship with Poppas.
(d) The rumor that she has had affairs with women as well as men.
11. Why do Cressida's sisters believe Poppas remains in Cressida's life?
(a) To gain an inheritance.
(b) To make the sisters miserable.
(c) To keep Cressida safe from abusive husbands.
(d) To benefit from her success.
12. How does Carrie view the relationship between Cressida and Poppas?
(a) That of pupil and teacher.
(b) Poppas as a father figure.
(c) Part teacher, part lover.
(d) Strictly as employer- employee.
13. Who is Jerome Brown?
(a) Cressida's current fiance.
(b) Cressida's brother-in-law.
(c) Cressida's other son.
(d) Cressida's sixth husband.
14. Several themes are apparent in Part 2; one theme might be what?
(a) Being a fugitive.
15. What is the narrator's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease did Cressida's first husband contract?
2. Who of the "inner circle" is not accompanying Cressida?
3. Why does Cressida's third marriage fail?
4. With which opera company does Cressida have employment for a while?
5. Of what does Poppas periodically remind the Garnet sisters?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)