|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who of the "inner circle" is not accompanying Cressida?
(a) Cressida's daughter.
(b) Cressida's best friend.
(c) Jerome Brown.
(d) Cressida's personal maid who is afraid of ships.
2. From what ailment does Poppas suffer?
(c) Facial neuralgia.
(d) The bends.
3. In between marriages, how many suitors does Cressida tend to have?
(a) One or two.
(c) It is not stated in the novel.
4. What excuse does Cressida give for taking her leave of Carrie?
(a) That she needs to get ready for the night's dinner.
(b) That she has to lie down before the seasickness hits.
(c) That she is meeting with Jerome on the promenade deck.
(d) That she has letters to write.
5. Over whom does Cressida choose Poppas?
(a) Her sisters.
(b) Her second husband.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her father-in-law.
6. Why does the narrator believe it is wise for the famous person to pose for the photographers?
(a) It is free publicity.
(b) It documents her as being on the ship in case something happens.
(c) Because the person needs the favor of the press because of her age and marital history.
(d) The photographers can find her more work.
7. To where does Poppas want to eventually retire?
(a) To a remote city in the middle of Asia.
(b) To the Kalimari dessert.
(c) To southern Africa.
(d) To the Southwest United States.
8. With what question does Horace interrupt the two women's conversation?
(a) If the two women knew where Aunt Julia is.
(b) If his mother would loan him a thousand dollars as he wants to marry.
(c) If they would like to go for a walk before retiring for the evening.
(d) If his mother would join him for a nightcap alone.
9. Who are two relatives accompanying the famous singer?
(a) Miss Jillian, her sister, and Horace, her son.
(b) Miss Julia, her sister, and Homer, her son.
(c) Miss Julia, her sister, and Harold, her son.
(d) Miss Julia, her sister, and Horace, her son.
10. Who is Miletus Poppas?
(a) Miss Julia's current beau.
(b) Cressida's personal chef.
(c) Horace's boyfriend.
(d) Cressida's long-time accompanist.
11. How much responsibility do Cressida's sisters assign to Poppas for Cressida's success?
(a) It is not revealed to the reader how the sisters think about the issue.
(b) They believe he is almost solely responsible.
(d) They believe he is at least half responsible.
12. What is the first occurrence in Cressida's life that Carrie describes as a string of bad luck?
(a) The suicide of her father.
(b) The death of Cressida's mother when Cressida is six.
(c) The death of her husband.
(d) The death of a beloved dog.
13. What did Cressida once worry about when she was broke?
(a) If she would be able to afford a gown to apply for a part on Broadway.
(b) If she and her son would be put out on the streets.
(c) Having enough money to bury her first husband.
(d) Whether she'd have enough food for herself and Horace.
14. Besides Cressida, what was a common element in the demeanor of Cressida's siblings?
(a) They acted like they were continually abused.
(b) They felt they were owed something.
(c) They were condescending.
(d) They were eager and joyful in their lives.
15. Why is Carrie able to spend a lot of time with Cressida over the next several days?
(a) Carrie is alone and has no other obligations.
(b) Cressida's travel entourage is otherwise engaged.
(c) Cressida insists that everyone but Carrie stays away.
(d) Carrie actually only sees Cressida once in passing during the rest of the voyage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who despise(s) Poppas?
2. What type of child was Cressida?
3. Who is jealous of Cressida's success?
4. How do Carrie and Cressida first meet?
5. Of what does Poppas periodically remind the Garnet sisters?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)