|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Part 1, where does a servant hide 100,000 shillings?
2. Where is Gicaandi taken after he fasts in Chapter 1, Section 2?
3. What does Gitutu say that his father would usually slaughter when his friends from the tribunals would come to drink beer?
4. When was Wariinga born?
5. In Chapter 3, Part 2, what did an old man tell Gatuiria is the honey of a nation's soul?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Section 4, what does Wangari say happened to her in Nairobi?
2. In Chapter 4, Part 1, what does a servant learn when his master gives him 100,000 shillings?
3. At the end of Chapter 4, Part 2, what does Muturi think about Wangari?
4. In Chapter 5, what do Wariinga and Gatuiria do at the New Ilmorog Butchery?
5. In Chapter 2, Section 1, how does the narrator describe Wariinga?
6. In Chapter 5, why did Gatuiria not follow in his father's footsteps?
7. In Chapter 5, why did Wariinga quit going to school?
8. In Chapter 4, Part 1, why is Ndaaya wa Kahuria banned from the competition?
9. In Chapter 3, Section 4, what happens when Wangari says she does not have money to pay her fare?
10. In Chapter 4, Part 1, why are representatives from the Organization for Modern Theft and Robbery in Ilmorog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The foreign leader speaks up against Mukiraai’s arguments. Why does the foreign leader speak against Mukiraai’s arguments? What is his view of freedom? How do Mukiraai’s ideas threaten the foreign leader’s freedom to steal and rob?
Essay Topic 2
Wangarii and other women fight against gender inequality. How does gender inequality determine the jobs that women are allowed to have? How is gender inequality a form of sexual abuse? How does gender inequality affect Wangarii and other women in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Wariinga changes over the course of the novel. How does Wariinga change in the novel? Are those changes positive or negative?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)