|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When raising his American flag, Edward wishes
2. Where once in the Arches Park there were only used newspapers to catch up on the news,
3. Since the visit from the government workers, The Arches Park has
4. Edward Abbey lies like a snake on the edge of a dune to
5. What is Abbey saying about the area in the Graham and Husk story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Abbey's story of Husk and Graham a fact-checked, absolutely correct retelling?
2. Discuss Abbey's relationship with the natural world as he watches the stars.
3. Where in this chapter does Abbey foreshadow a story involving quicksand?
4. What is Viviano Jacquez's problem?
5. Explain Abbey's description of the life cycle of the spadefoot toad.
6. What does Abbey mean by "pox vobiscum," and "swinish politics?"
7. Explain Abbey's reasoning that joy may support survival.
8. How does Abbey get rid of the rattlesnakes?
9. What is an example of the primitive attitudes of Native Americans, as expressed by Abbey?
10. What concession does Abbey make to man's ingenuity when it comes to life in the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are hundreds of geographical features mentioned in Desert Solitaire. Make a table and list of all of the geographical features, look up their meanings and descriptions, and add images, if possible. Provide copies of your material to the class for reference as they read Desert Solitaire.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Abbey's general attitude is toward his fellow human beings? His cynicism is obvious, however, are we able to see a softer side of Abbey when it comes to people? If so, explain and describe it. What emotions is Abbey capable of feeling in this environment?
Essay Topic 3
The man-made lakes that have been developed by the federal government in the Arches parks are named after men who personally experienced those areas. Research and write about the two men after whom the major lakes have been named, and their contributions to the area. Do you feel their contributions are congruent with the projects that have been named in their honor? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)