|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abbey studies the Colorado's tributaries on
(a) A geological map of the Grand Canyon
(b) A topigraphical map of the US
(c) A road map of Utah
(d) A globe
2. Separating from other human beings feels to Abbey like
(a) A spiritual reckoning
(b) Cutting the cord, a rebirth into primeval liberty
(c) An unnatural act that will lead to loss
(d) A stab of conscience
3. On his trip to capture Moon-Eye, Abbey ate his lunch in the shade of
(a) His horse's belly
(b) A sage bush
(c) Hanging poison ivy
(d) A large juniper
4. Abbey gives us an idea of how he laces his conversations with tourists
(a) With disgust
(b) With humor
(c) With anger
(d) With warnings
5. Abbey likes the word, "Tukuhnikivats," which means
(a) Where the Arches watch
(b) Queen of the LaSals
(c) Where the sun lingers
(d) Home of the Utes
Short Answer Questions
1. In late summer the quietness, or somnolence of the desert leaves Abbey feeling
2. Beyond the timberline Abbey observes
3. The character Mackie is
4. Mackie would rather be rich than work for Scobie. If he were, he would
5. When Abbey gets a call to help with a search, he assumes
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Edward Abbey is a fanatic? Is his fear of a future dictatorial regime unfounded?
2. Abbey mentions thinking the unthinkable as he drives through the desert past the Arches headquarters. To what is he referring?
3. Where is the heart of the desert, according to Abbey?
4. Do Abbey and Newcomb enjoy the "rapids" they encounter?
5. How does Abbey feel about leaving the desert and returning to the city?
6. Do you think Abbey intended to risk his life by spending the entire day trying to entice Moon-Eye to come to him.
7. Abbey gives us two facts in the early part of this chapter that make it clear that this trip was taken in a decade long-past. What is it?
8. Why does Edward Abbey seemingly push the limits of safety by living in isolation and putting himself in dangerous situations?
9. Why do you think Abbey wants to own Moon-Eye?
10. Why does Abbey prefer the desert to other environments?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)