|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In July, the surrounding mountains are almost
(a) Bare of snow
(b) Covered with snow
(d) Completely free of snow
2. Abbey cancels his plans for
(a) A ceremonious farewell
(b) One more hike in the rocks
(c) A trip to the airport
(d) A final campfire
3. The cabin Abbey slept in appears to be
(a) Full of rats
(d) Full of bats
4. Abbey's exploration of the Maze with Bob Waterman is
5. Abbey decides to climb Tukuhnikivats
(a) By himself
(b) With his horse
(c) With his camping partner
(d) In his pickup
Short Answer Questions
1. Abbey's reaction to the man's manner of death is one of
2. Abbey admits that he, too, is a member of
3. Abbey's reference to the beavers building another dam is really about
4. When Abbey finally confronts Moon-Eye, he is
5. Abbey wishes that the tourists would get out of their vehicles and
Short Essay Questions
1. Do Abbey and Newcomb enjoy the "rapids" they encounter?
2. Abbey does not speak highly of the man-made lakes on the Colorado. Why?
3. If Abbey is somewhat indifferent to the death of a fellow human being, why would that be true?
4. Why do the men make jokes about the dead man?
5. Of what is Abbey reminded as he lay naked on top of Tukuhnikivats?
6. Why does Abbey refer to himself as a true patriot?
7. The poet to whom Abbey refers in this chapter when he says, "It was all foreseen a half century ago," is Robinson Jeffers, and his poem is entitled "Broken Balance." Why does Abbey not provide the reader with that information, when he has so adamantly laid out his reasoning and feelings for us in the previous paragraphs?
8. What are a few good words that would describe Abbey's impression of the desert at this time of year, and at noon? Is there any other place, time, state of mind or being, to which this same set of words also applies?
9. Why was Abbey not interested in living with the Supai Havasu Indians?
10. Why does Abbey persist in pursuing Moon-Eye when the heat and conditions have become quite uncomfortable for him?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)