|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Moon-Eye's temperament was due to
(a) Bad genes from his mother
(b) Inflammation of one of his eyes
(c) Having been separated from his mother as a colt
(d) Having been lost for so long
2. A man is shouting from the shore to Abbey and Newcomb about
(a) Something the reader never learns
(b) Something private to Abbey and Newcomb
(c) Something important to Abbey and Newcomb
(d) How boaters are not allowed
3. The group's reactions after the man is taken away involve
(a) Sad silence
(b) Relief and humor
(c) Raucous partying
(d) An introspective meditation
4. Abbey's campsite is
(a) A place he has never seen before
(b) One erected previously
(c) A fireplace built by Native Americans
(d) An empty spot in a grassy field
5. All creatures in the desert at this time of year
(a) Stay in the shade as much as possible
(b) Live near water
(c) Eat whatever walks by
(d) Search for food in the late afternoon
Short Answer Questions
1. Abbey cancels his plans for
2. In late summer the quietness, or somnolence of the desert leaves Abbey feeling
3. The meaning of Abbey's words, "claritas, integritas, veritas" can be found in this quote:
4. Why does the sign instructing skiers to ski in a clockwise direction irk Edward Abbey?
5. Abbey gives us an idea of how he laces his conversations with tourists
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Abbey wants to own Moon-Eye?
2. What are a few good words that would describe Abbey's impression of the desert at this time of year, and at noon? Is there any other place, time, state of mind or being, to which this same set of words also applies?
3. Why do the men make jokes about the dead man?
4. Why does Edward Abbey seemingly push the limits of safety by living in isolation and putting himself in dangerous situations?
5. The trip down the Colorado for Abbey and Newcomb is blissful and idyllic. What, if any, is the dark side of this story?
6. Do Abbey and Newcomb enjoy the "rapids" they encounter?
7. Abbey does not speak highly of the man-made lakes on the Colorado. Why?
8. Try to explain Abbey's rambling about naming things.
9. Where is the heart of the desert, according to Abbey?
10. If Abbey is somewhat indifferent to the death of a fellow human being, why would that be true?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)