|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abbey has been promised by a Mormon woman that he
(a) Will always be an atheist
(b) Will be saved as a Mormon
(c) Will go to heaven with her
(d) Will finally come around to her way of praying
2. We can assume that Abbey decides to set off to the mountains
(a) He needs to test out his pickup on the bumpy road
(b) For a break from the August heat
(c) To escape the government officials' visit
(d) Because he is sick of the trailer and ramada
3. The man who has initiated the search is the deceased man's
4. Why does Abbey say he wants the wild horse, Moon-Eye?
(a) He says he does not know
(b) He is curious about a reclusive horse
(c) He wants him for transportation
(d) He wants to see his huge hooves
5. What reigns in the desert on this late-spring day is
(a) The clean air
(b) The sun
(c) The wind
(d) The tourists
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abbey finally confronts Moon-Eye, he is
2. The desert flowers in the month of May have
3. In late summer the quietness, or somnolence of the desert leaves Abbey feeling
4. The group's reactions after the man is taken away involve
5. To make it easier to maneuver the rubber raft, Abbey
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Abbey's heat waves and a mirage?
2. Why does Abbey persist in pursuing Moon-Eye when the heat and conditions have become quite uncomfortable for him?
3. If Abbey is somewhat indifferent to the death of a fellow human being, why would that be true?
4. Try to explain Abbey's rambling about naming things.
5. Why do you think Abbey wants to own Moon-Eye?
6. Do you think Edward Abbey is a fanatic? Is his fear of a future dictatorial regime unfounded?
7. What are a few good words that would describe Abbey's impression of the desert at this time of year, and at noon? Is there any other place, time, state of mind or being, to which this same set of words also applies?
8. Abbey mentions thinking the unthinkable as he drives through the desert past the Arches headquarters. To what is he referring?
9. How does Abbey feel about leaving the desert and returning to the city?
10. Why does Abbey prefer the desert to other environments?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)