|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abbey sees the value of wilderness, in a political sense, as
(a) An escape from the city for industry workers
(b) A base for resistance to central domination
(c) A remote place for the govenrment to set up new programs
(d) A military mecca
2. Abbey likes the word, "Tukuhnikivats," which means
(a) Where the sun lingers
(b) Queen of the LaSals
(c) Where the Arches watch
(d) Home of the Utes
3. The cabin Abbey slept in appears to be
(c) Full of rats
(d) Full of bats
4. Abbey is wistful about leaving behind
(a) His job
(b) His cozy trailer
(c) His government pickup
(d) This valley of paradox
5. In July, the surrounding mountains are almost
(a) Bare of snow
(c) Completely free of snow
(d) Covered with snow
Short Answer Questions
1. Edward Abbey and Johnny try to
2. Abbey often mentions tamarisks. A tamarisk is a
3. Abbey's decision to take a shortcut in the Havasu Canyon
4. To make it easier to maneuver the rubber raft, Abbey
5. Unlike Thoreau, Abbey's intention is to
Short Essay Questions
1. Abbey mentions thinking the unthinkable as he drives through the desert past the Arches headquarters. To what is he referring?
2. Where is the heart of the desert, according to Abbey?
3. Do Abbey and Newcomb enjoy the "rapids" they encounter?
4. Why was Abbey not interested in living with the Supai Havasu Indians?
5. Why does Abbey prefer the desert to other environments?
6. Of what is Abbey reminded as he lay naked on top of Tukuhnikivats?
7. What are a few good words that would describe Abbey's impression of the desert at this time of year, and at noon? Is there any other place, time, state of mind or being, to which this same set of words also applies?
8. What is the difference between Abbey's heat waves and a mirage?
9. Why does Edward Abbey seemingly push the limits of safety by living in isolation and putting himself in dangerous situations?
10. Do you think Abbey intended to risk his life by spending the entire day trying to entice Moon-Eye to come to him.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)