|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In late summer the quietness, or somnolence of the desert leaves Abbey feeling
(a) Tired of the heat
(b) A certain madness
(c) Haunted by voices
(d) Hungry for the ocean
2. The beautiful flower Larkspur can be
(a) Used for herbal teas
(b) Poisonous to humans
(c) Deadly for cattle
(d) Made into healing salve
3. Fred Burkett's favorite hiding place to watch for speeders was
(a) Now obsolete
(b) Leveled by vandals
(c) Sawed down by Abbey
(d) Blown over in the wind
4. Abbey tries to convince Moon-Eye to come with by telling him a story about
(a) How he will get the others and come for him
(b) His own childhood
(c) His pet horse back in Albuquerque
(d) How he will die and be eaten
5. The Havsupai are by nature
(a) Lazy and dirty
(b) Cheerful and easygoing
(d) Malicious and suspicious
Short Answer Questions
1. Abbey wants his readers to know that the desert is
2. Abbey studies the Colorado's tributaries on
3. The pika is an animal that lives and feeds on
4. Abbey suggests to Waterman that, perhaps, like a German poet, we humans
5. Abbey can be said to be a high-level
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what is Abbey reminded as he lay naked on top of Tukuhnikivats?
2. Why do the men make jokes about the dead man?
3. Why does Edward Abbey seemingly push the limits of safety by living in isolation and putting himself in dangerous situations?
4. What is the difference between Abbey's heat waves and a mirage?
5. The poet to whom Abbey refers in this chapter when he says, "It was all foreseen a half century ago," is Robinson Jeffers, and his poem is entitled "Broken Balance." Why does Abbey not provide the reader with that information, when he has so adamantly laid out his reasoning and feelings for us in the previous paragraphs?
6. Abbey mentions thinking the unthinkable as he drives through the desert past the Arches headquarters. To what is he referring?
7. Do you think Abbey intended to risk his life by spending the entire day trying to entice Moon-Eye to come to him.
8. Why does Abbey persist in pursuing Moon-Eye when the heat and conditions have become quite uncomfortable for him?
9. Why do you think Abbey wants to own Moon-Eye?
10. How does Abbey feel about leaving the desert and returning to the city?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)