|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Moon Eye, the wild horse, has been living alone for
(a) A year
(b) Six months
(c) Ten years
(d) Fifteen years
2. The character Mackie is
(a) A temporary replacement for Viviano
(b) An old friend of Abbey's
(c) A friend of the rangers'
(d) A Mormon from Utah
3. Abbey wants his readers to know that the desert is
4. Abbey's campsite is
(a) An empty spot in a grassy field
(b) A place he has never seen before
(c) One erected previously
(d) A fireplace built by Native Americans
5. Abbey tries to convince Moon-Eye to come with by telling him a story about
(a) His own childhood
(b) His pet horse back in Albuquerque
(c) How he will get the others and come for him
(d) How he will die and be eaten
Short Answer Questions
1. Abbey uses a piece of hollow cane to create a
2. Abbey likes the word, "Tukuhnikivats," which means
3. Major John Wesley Powell was the first to
4. The desert winds of May have
5. Abbey gives us an idea of how he laces his conversations with tourists
Short Essay Questions
1. Try to explain Abbey's rambling about naming things.
2. The poet to whom Abbey refers in this chapter when he says, "It was all foreseen a half century ago," is Robinson Jeffers, and his poem is entitled "Broken Balance." Why does Abbey not provide the reader with that information, when he has so adamantly laid out his reasoning and feelings for us in the previous paragraphs?
3. Why do the men make jokes about the dead man?
4. Do Abbey and Newcomb enjoy the "rapids" they encounter?
5. What does Abbey say, indirectly, about change?
6. Why does Edward Abbey seemingly push the limits of safety by living in isolation and putting himself in dangerous situations?
7. Of what is Abbey reminded as he lay naked on top of Tukuhnikivats?
8. Why was Abbey not interested in living with the Supai Havasu Indians?
9. Abbey does not speak highly of the man-made lakes on the Colorado. Why?
10. Why does Abbey persist in pursuing Moon-Eye when the heat and conditions have become quite uncomfortable for him?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)