|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abbey tries to convince Moon-Eye to come with by telling him a story about
(a) How he will get the others and come for him
(b) His pet horse back in Albuquerque
(c) How he will die and be eaten
(d) His own childhood
2. Beyond the timberline Abbey observes
(a) The alpenglow
(b) The pine forest
(c) Heavy snow
(d) Gathering stom clouds
3. In July, the surrounding mountains are almost
(a) Covered with snow
(c) Bare of snow
(d) Completely free of snow
4. Major John Wesley Powell was the first to
(a) The military force behind Lake Powell
(b) The government's advocate for the Hoover Dam
(c) A force in drowing Glen Canyon
(d) Explore the Colorado River and its environment
5. Abbey cancels his plans for
(a) A trip to the airport
(b) A ceremonious farewell
(c) One more hike in the rocks
(d) A final campfire
Short Answer Questions
1. Abbey gives us an idea of how he laces his conversations with tourists
2. Abbey and Newcomb are in denial about the
3. We can assume that Abbey decides to set off to the mountains
4. Abbey uses a piece of hollow cane to create a
5. On his trip to capture Moon-Eye, Abbey ate his lunch in the shade of
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbey persist in pursuing Moon-Eye when the heat and conditions have become quite uncomfortable for him?
2. Do you think Abbey intended to risk his life by spending the entire day trying to entice Moon-Eye to come to him.
3. Where is the heart of the desert, according to Abbey?
4. Why does Abbey prefer the desert to other environments?
5. Abbey does not speak highly of the man-made lakes on the Colorado. Why?
6. What is the difference between Abbey's heat waves and a mirage?
7. The trip down the Colorado for Abbey and Newcomb is blissful and idyllic. What, if any, is the dark side of this story?
8. What are a few good words that would describe Abbey's impression of the desert at this time of year, and at noon? Is there any other place, time, state of mind or being, to which this same set of words also applies?
9. How does Abbey feel about leaving the desert and returning to the city?
10. Do you think Edward Abbey is a fanatic? Is his fear of a future dictatorial regime unfounded?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)