|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abbey wishes that the tourists would get out of their vehicles and
(a) Buy some lunch
(b) Have a Coke
(c) Walk on the land
(d) Drink from the streams
2. The pika is an animal that lives and feeds on
(a) Alpine violets
3. Separating from other human beings feels to Abbey like
(a) Cutting the cord, a rebirth into primeval liberty
(b) A stab of conscience
(c) A spiritual reckoning
(d) An unnatural act that will lead to loss
4. The man who has initiated the search is the deceased man's
5. The difference between the desert and other geographic areas is its
(a) Its level of tourism
(b) Its beauty in all seasons
(c) Its passivity and simplicity
(d) Its danger
Short Answer Questions
1. Moon-Eye rejected humans when he was subjected to
2. Abbey is wistful about leaving behind
3. Abbey uses a piece of hollow cane to create a
4. Abbey studies the Colorado's tributaries on
5. A man is shouting from the shore to Abbey and Newcomb about
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what is Abbey reminded as he lay naked on top of Tukuhnikivats?
2. Why does Abbey prefer the desert to other environments?
3. What does Abbey say, indirectly, about change?
4. Why does Abbey refer to himself as a true patriot?
5. What is the difference between Abbey's heat waves and a mirage?
6. What influences Abbey's final decision to abandon his quest for Moon-Eye?
7. Why do you think Abbey wants to own Moon-Eye?
8. Abbey mentions thinking the unthinkable as he drives through the desert past the Arches headquarters. To what is he referring?
9. Abbey does not speak highly of the man-made lakes on the Colorado. Why?
10. Try to explain Abbey's rambling about naming things.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)