|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abbey decides to climb Tukuhnikivats
(a) By himself
(b) With his horse
(c) In his pickup
(d) With his camping partner
2. The pika is an animal that lives and feeds on
(a) Alpine violets
3. Why does the sign instructing skiers to ski in a clockwise direction irk Edward Abbey?
(a) It is industrial tourism at its finest
(b) It is one more indication of freedom lost to government control
(c) He feels people should ski in both directions
(d) He wishes people would ski only on the snow
4. Abbey often mentions tamarisks. A tamarisk is a
(a) A wild animal related to the wolf
(b) Tree with pink plumes
(c) A lake in the canyon
(d) A soaring, large-winged bird
5. On the second day of their journey, Abbey is
(a) Hoping the trip ends soon
(b) Peaceful and blissful
(c) Creatively suppressed
(d) Wishing to be back in Moab
Short Answer Questions
1. Abbey likes the word, "Tukuhnikivats," which means
2. Edward Abbey and Johnny try to
3. We can assume that Abbey decides to set off to the mountains
4. Abbey gets sidetracked to Havasu on his way to
5. The desert winds of May have
Short Essay Questions
1. If Abbey is somewhat indifferent to the death of a fellow human being, why would that be true?
2. Abbey gives us two facts in the early part of this chapter that make it clear that this trip was taken in a decade long-past. What is it?
3. Why was Abbey not interested in living with the Supai Havasu Indians?
4. What are a few good words that would describe Abbey's impression of the desert at this time of year, and at noon? Is there any other place, time, state of mind or being, to which this same set of words also applies?
5. Why does Abbey prefer the desert to other environments?
6. Abbey mentions thinking the unthinkable as he drives through the desert past the Arches headquarters. To what is he referring?
7. Do Abbey and Newcomb enjoy the "rapids" they encounter?
8. Where is the heart of the desert, according to Abbey?
9. What influences Abbey's final decision to abandon his quest for Moon-Eye?
10. Try to explain Abbey's rambling about naming things.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)