|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Abbey finally confronts Moon-Eye, he is
(a) Angry and frustrated
(b) Overly friendly and suspicious
(c) In a hurry to get him in a rope
(d) Gentle and kind to the horse
2. Abbey admits that he, too, is a member of
(a) The local grange
(b) The human rat race
(c) Freeway traffic
(d) A civilized tribe
3. In July, the surrounding mountains are almost
(a) Bare of snow
(b) Completely free of snow
(d) Covered with snow
4. Beyond the timberline Abbey observes
(a) The alpenglow
(b) The pine forest
(c) Heavy snow
(d) Gathering stom clouds
5. Why does the sign instructing skiers to ski in a clockwise direction irk Edward Abbey?
(a) It is one more indication of freedom lost to government control
(b) It is industrial tourism at its finest
(c) He feels people should ski in both directions
(d) He wishes people would ski only on the snow
Short Answer Questions
1. On the beach for the evening, the most rewarding thing seems to be
2. Abbey likes the word, "Tukuhnikivats," which means
3. In late summer the quietness, or somnolence of the desert leaves Abbey feeling
4. Moon-Eye rejected humans when he was subjected to
5. Abbey wishes that the tourists would get out of their vehicles and
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Edward Abbey is a fanatic? Is his fear of a future dictatorial regime unfounded?
2. Abbey mentions thinking the unthinkable as he drives through the desert past the Arches headquarters. To what is he referring?
3. Abbey does not speak highly of the man-made lakes on the Colorado. Why?
4. Of what is Abbey reminded as he lay naked on top of Tukuhnikivats?
5. Why was Abbey not interested in living with the Supai Havasu Indians?
6. Why does Abbey refer to himself as a true patriot?
7. Try to explain Abbey's rambling about naming things.
8. Why does Edward Abbey seemingly push the limits of safety by living in isolation and putting himself in dangerous situations?
9. What is the difference between Abbey's heat waves and a mirage?
10. Why does Abbey persist in pursuing Moon-Eye when the heat and conditions have become quite uncomfortable for him?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)