|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Visiting Moab on Wednesdays, Edward Abbey deduces that the men in the beer joints have been
(a) In town for most of the day
(b) Are poor miners
(c) Active and working alone all day
(d) Working as park rangers all day
2. Abbey is paid a visit by
(a) The local water delivery company
(b) Firemen from the nearby forest
(c) Rangers from the Forest Service
(d) Other Parks Service employees
3. Abbey speculates that the mourning doves' call may be
(a) A brooding meditation on space and solitude
(b) A warning that there is a human nearby
(c) A mournful call to some other dimension
(d) A wish to make contact with the wolves
4. The clarity of the desert is illustrated in the desert's flora and fauna
(a) The heat and rock
(b) The danger in the plant forms
(c) The uncrowded openness
(d) The lack of life
5. Onion Spring, northeast of Moab, is
(a) Slightly salty but good
(b) Poison with arsenic
(c) Clear and drinkable
(d) Full of gold
Short Answer Questions
1. Abbey enjoys the playful antics of the
2. The loveliest, and sweet as a pretty girl, in Abbey's opinion, is
3. Any cow found without a brand
4. A civil engineer believes a road will help
5. Ten miles away past the highway, Abbey can see
Short Essay Questions
1. Where in this chapter does Abbey foreshadow a story involving quicksand?
2. How does Edward Abbey seem "polemic" in his views about national parks?
3. Explain Abbey's frustration with Roy Scobie.
4. What is Viviano Jacquez's problem?
5. Abbey seems to jump back and forth in time in his book. Where in this chapter does that first become obvious?
6. Explain Abbey's reasoning that joy may support survival.
7. Why does Abbey decide not to kill the rattlesnake under his doorstep?
8. Explain Abbey's description of the life cycle of the spadefoot toad.
9. Explain why Abbey prefers not to use a flashlight in the dark.
10. What are the two wild animals that Abbey has never seen in the Southwest?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)