|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lloyd Pierson is
(a) A state policeman
(b) An archaeologist
(c) A government accountant
(d) A park superintendent
2. The Moab Valley in the distance lies between
(a) Plateaus and bluffs
(b) Glacial mountains
(c) Thousand-foot walls of rock
(d) Mesas and low hills
3. Viviano Jacquez' nationality is
4. Why did Roy Scobie need to round up his cattle?
(a) They have depeleted their pasture of food
(b) To get them to a cooler, higher altitude
(c) To prepare them for slaughter
(d) To get a grazing permit
5. What were Husk and Graham hoping for?
(a) A new wife
(b) A nature experience
(c) A natural life for the boy
(d) Riches through uranium
Short Answer Questions
1. The gopher snakes watch over Abbey like
2. Abbey speculates that the mourning doves' call may be
3. Viviano is infected by the poison of
4. Salty water cannot sustain human life because
5. Edward is able to hear, but not see
Short Essay Questions
1. Abbey describes areas where one can find artifacts from Native Americans in the form of arrowheads and spearheads, made from obsidian. There is a law that prohibits removing stones from the national park. Do you think these artifacts can still be found in the "shady alcoves under canyon walls" in the Arches?
2. What is an example of the primitive attitudes of Native Americans, as expressed by Abbey?
3. Explain Abbey's frustration with Roy Scobie.
4. How does the author project his own sensibilities onto the doves that he hears calling? Why?
5. Is Abbey's story of Husk and Graham a fact-checked, absolutely correct retelling?
6. What are the two wild animals that Abbey has never seen in the Southwest?
7. The author has arrived in Utah, having come from New Mexico. How different is the terrain in this new place from what he is accustomed to?
8. Abbey mentions that both men he meets are married and have children. Can we assume Abbey is neither? Why or why not?
9. Explain why many of the petroglyphs are found in caves too high for us to reach.
10. What does Abbey suggest should be done about the erosion of national parks?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)