|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The locals in Moab's bars do not become violent, perhaps because
(a) They are afraid of one another
(b) The beer is weak
(c) They are humbled by nature
(d) They are good Mormons
2. Abbey enjoys the playful antics of the
(a) Pinyon jays
(b) Bald eagles
(c) Mourning Doves
3. What is the one clue we have that the lawyer who approached Mrs. Husk was representing the government?
(a) His knowledge of her husband's death
(b) The emblem on his lighter
(c) His cufflinks
(d) His authorization to offer large amounts of money to her
4. Any cow found without a brand
(a) Is left for the next rancher
(b) Belongs to the finder
(c) Is taken immediately to the slaughterhouse
(d) Is put in a corral of strays
5. April mornings in the desert are
(a) Cold, windy and dusty
(c) Bright, clear and calm
(d) Very windy
Short Answer Questions
1. Edward is overcome with a desire to
2. Abbey will be allowed to drive the government truck
3. Indian artifacts in the national forest are
4. Geodes are prevalent in these areas. They are
5. The government's attempt to transform Navajos to middle class Americans is called
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two wild animals that Abbey has never seen in the Southwest?
2. Discuss how different the daily life of an pre-Columbian Native American was, as compared to the daily life of an American now.
3. What does Abbey mean by "pox vobiscum," and "swinish politics?"
4. Why does Abbey kill a wild rabbit?
5. The author has arrived in Utah, having come from New Mexico. How different is the terrain in this new place from what he is accustomed to?
6. Explain why many of the petroglyphs are found in caves too high for us to reach.
7. Why does Abbey decide not to kill the rattlesnake under his doorstep?
8. How does the author project his own sensibilities onto the doves that he hears calling? Why?
9. Explain why Abbey prefers not to use a flashlight in the dark.
10. Abbey seems to jump back and forth in time in his book. Where in this chapter does that first become obvious?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)