|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Edward Abbey's garden is
(a) All that lies around him
(b) A flower garden in front of the porch
(c) A stand of locoweed
(d) A vegetable garden behind the trailer
2. Viviano Jacquez' nationality is
3. Abbey will be allowed to drive the government truck
(a) Once a week to headquarters and Moab
(b) Once a month out into the desert for exploration
(c) Twice a month to inspect the Arches
(d) Once a week to the Yellow Cat Badlands
4. The locals in Moab's bars do not become violent, perhaps because
(a) The beer is weak
(b) They are good Mormons
(c) They are humbled by nature
(d) They are afraid of one another
5. Abbey enjoys the playful antics of the
(b) Bald eagles
(c) Mourning Doves
(d) Pinyon jays
Short Answer Questions
1. Salty water cannot sustain human life because
2. Ten miles away past the highway, Abbey can see
3. Thunderstorms come to the high desert in
4. Edward Abbey filled his canteen in the Needles country
5. Edward is overcome with a desire to
Short Essay Questions
1. How seriously is Abbey taking this government job?
2. How does Edward Abbey seem "polemic" in his views about national parks?
3. Why does Abbey's watch seem absurd to him?
4. Abbey describes areas where one can find artifacts from Native Americans in the form of arrowheads and spearheads, made from obsidian. There is a law that prohibits removing stones from the national park. Do you think these artifacts can still be found in the "shady alcoves under canyon walls" in the Arches?
5. Explain Abbey's reasoning that joy may support survival.
6. Discuss how different the daily life of an pre-Columbian Native American was, as compared to the daily life of an American now.
7. What is Viviano Jacquez's problem?
8. Discuss Abbey's relationship with the natural world as he watches the stars.
9. Is it beneficial to the Navajos that their population is increasing?
10. What concession does Abbey make to man's ingenuity when it comes to life in the desert?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)