|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hundreds of years ago, Anasazi hunters left behind
(b) Animal hides
(c) Cave dwellings
(d) Flint arrowheads
2. The government survey crew came with plans to
(a) Build a new winter resort
(b) Lay out a new road into the Arches
(c) Rebuild the ranger station
(d) Construct additional campsites
3. Much of the fauna growing near Abbey's trailer is
(a) Weeds and reeds
(b) Pines and firs
(c) Sage and juniper
(d) Cactus and briars
4. Why were the little calves terrified during the roundup?
(a) They did not know where they were headed
(b) They had never seen a human
(c) They were being separated from their mothers
(d) They were afraid of the ropes and brand
5. Edward attaches a red bandanna to a ridgepole in honor of
(a) May Day
(b) Mothers' Day
(c) Spring Solstice
(d) April Fools' Day
Short Answer Questions
1. Abbey feels if you have reached the point of needing moisture from the barrel cactus
2. Abbey compares cultures of Indians and cowboys in that
3. We learn that Abbey was raised
4. Lloyd Pierson is
5. Since the visit from the government workers, The Arches Park has
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Turnbow Cabin built?
2. What concession does Abbey make to man's ingenuity when it comes to life in the desert?
3. What is Viviano Jacquez's problem?
4. Abbey gives us two facts in the early part of this chapter that make it clear that this trip was taken in a decade long-past. What is it?
5. It is interesting that Abbey wants to "own" all of the grandeur he sees around him. What does this feeling actually mean in this context?
6. What is the difference between Abbey's heat waves and a mirage?
7. What advantages did the government's Atomic Energy Commission have in finding uranium? Are they portrayed as a benificent agency?
8. How does Abbey feel about leaving the desert and returning to the city?
9. Why does Edward Abbey seemingly push the limits of safety by living in isolation and putting himself in dangerous situations?
10. Why does Abbey persist in pursuing Moon-Eye when the heat and conditions have become quite uncomfortable for him?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)