|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The locals in Moab's bars do not become violent, perhaps because
(a) The beer is weak
(b) They are good Mormons
(c) They are humbled by nature
(d) They are afraid of one another
2. What kind of tool can detect the presence of uranium?
(a) A mining meter
(b) A radiation detector
(c) A Geiger counter
(d) A Vanadium sensor
3. Just before he heard a jeep approaching, Abbey saw a
(a) A cougar
(b) A mouse
(c) Group of deer
(d) A grisly bear
4. Much of the fauna growing near Abbey's trailer is
(a) Pines and firs
(b) Sage and juniper
(c) Weeds and reeds
(d) Cactus and briars
5. Since the visit from the government workers, The Arches Park has
(a) Grown into a huge tourist attraction
(b) Become a parking lot for RVs
(c) Turned into a village
(d) Closed down to outsiders
Short Answer Questions
1. Delicate Arch has been eroded by
2. Edward's part thought in this chapter is that
3. Abbey is paid a visit by
4. Abbey enjoys the playful antics of the
5. Abbey suggests that former cowboys, like Indians, may be
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how different the daily life of an pre-Columbian Native American was, as compared to the daily life of an American now.
2. Explain Abbey's frustration with Roy Scobie.
3. Abbey describes areas where one can find artifacts from Native Americans in the form of arrowheads and spearheads, made from obsidian. There is a law that prohibits removing stones from the national park. Do you think these artifacts can still be found in the "shady alcoves under canyon walls" in the Arches?
4. Discuss Abbey's relationship with the natural world as he watches the stars.
5. Abbey mentions that both men he meets are married and have children. Can we assume Abbey is neither? Why or why not?
6. How does Abbey get rid of the rattlesnakes?
7. Explain why Abbey prefers not to use a flashlight in the dark.
8. What does Abbey suggest should be done about the erosion of national parks?
9. What is Viviano Jacquez's problem?
10. Why does Abbey's watch seem absurd to him?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)