|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To spend time outside the trailer, Abbey builds
(a) A hut
(b) A patio
(c) A deck
(d) A ramada
2. Abbey compares cultures of Indians and cowboys in that
(a) Both are reduced to providng a curiosity for tourists
(b) Both originated in the old West
(c) Both are thriving in the face of adversity
(d) They continue to fight among themselves
3. The prickly pear cactus and its blossom exemplifies the
(a) Pain in nature
(b) The fierceness of the heat
(c) Unity of opposites
(d) The wild rose
4. Since the visit from the government workers, The Arches Park has
(a) Closed down to outsiders
(b) Become a parking lot for RVs
(c) Grown into a huge tourist attraction
(d) Turned into a village
5. Abbey describes the voice of the desert
(a) Whirling and shrieking
(b) Rising to a demented howl
(c) Moaning and crying
(d) Screaming through the cracks
Short Answer Questions
1. Vernon Pick managed to sufficiently purify his water by
2. Where once in the Arches Park there were only used newspapers to catch up on the news,
3. Roy Scobie is known for being frugal with
4. Abbey feels if you have reached the point of needing moisture from the barrel cactus
5. Edward Abbey is living in isolation,
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Abbey's heat waves and a mirage?
2. What are the two wild animals that Abbey has never seen in the Southwest?
3. Where is the heart of the desert, according to Abbey?
4. Of what is Abbey reminded as he lay naked on top of Tukuhnikivats?
5. How does Abbey get rid of the rattlesnakes?
6. Abbey describes areas where one can find artifacts from Native Americans in the form of arrowheads and spearheads, made from obsidian. There is a law that prohibits removing stones from the national park. Do you think these artifacts can still be found in the "shady alcoves under canyon walls" in the Arches?
7. What is Viviano Jacquez's problem?
8. Why do the men make jokes about the dead man?
9. What is an example of the primitive attitudes of Native Americans, as expressed by Abbey?
10. How does the author project his own sensibilities onto the doves that he hears calling? Why?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)