|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Moab Valley in the distance lies between
(a) Thousand-foot walls of rock
(b) Glacial mountains
(c) Mesas and low hills
(d) Plateaus and bluffs
2. The only stream that flows perennially through the park is
(a) A rushing stream of snow melt
(b) Pepper Creek
(c) A babbling creek behind his trailer
(d) Too salty to be potable
3. The difference between Navajos and other poverty-stricken cultures is
(a) Their population growth is monitored by the state
(b) They are overseen by the BIA
(c) They must report their medical services to the government
(d) They are inadequate by national standards
4. Abbey's complaint about a flashlight is that
(a) It separates a man from the world around him
(b) The light is such a small sphere
(c) It isolates his image in the dark
(d) It creates an artificial sense of safety
5. Edward Abbey filled his canteen in the Needles country
(a) From a salty spring
(b) One drop per second
(c) Quickly and greedily
(d) From the rushing Colorado
Short Answer Questions
1. Onion Spring, northeast of Moab, is
2. Delicate Arch has been eroded by
3. The gopher snakes watch over Abbey like
4. The unexpected guests in Edward's new home include
5. Abbey is paid a visit by
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Abbey's relationship with the natural world as he watches the stars.
2. The author has arrived in Utah, having come from New Mexico. How different is the terrain in this new place from what he is accustomed to?
3. What are the two wild animals that Abbey has never seen in the Southwest?
4. Is Abbey's story of Husk and Graham a fact-checked, absolutely correct retelling?
5. Explain Abbey's frustration with Roy Scobie.
6. Abbey mentions that both men he meets are married and have children. Can we assume Abbey is neither? Why or why not?
7. What does Abbey suggest should be done about the erosion of national parks?
8. Why does Abbey kill a wild rabbit?
9. It is interesting that Abbey wants to "own" all of the grandeur he sees around him. What does this feeling actually mean in this context?
10. How does Abbey get rid of the rattlesnakes?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)