|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Husk and Graham hoping for?
(a) A natural life for the boy
(b) A nature experience
(c) Riches through uranium
(d) A new wife
2. Scobie is only able to sleep
(a) On rock
(b) On quicksand
(c) In a cot
(d) On desert sand
3. The natural wonder that Edward is able to see in his new location is
(a) Painted Desert
(b) The Arches National Monument
(c) Grand Canyon
(d) Colorado Mesa
4. Abbey is polemic about
(a) Killing off the wolves
(b) Not distroying our national parks
(c) Improving the space station
(d) Birds of prey being destroyed
5. Abbey describes the views from his trailer as
(a) Cozy and protected
(b) Cold and stark
(c) Open and perfect
(d) Somewhat frightening
Short Answer Questions
1. Roy Scobie is a rancher obsessed with
2. Abbey wonders if a man could get used to
3. Edward's new home is a simple
4. Abbey is adamant about the Navajos' inability to adapt to
5. The Moab Valley in the distance lies between
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Abbey's reasoning that joy may support survival.
2. Why does Abbey decide not to kill the rattlesnake under his doorstep?
3. What is Viviano Jacquez's problem?
4. Explain Abbey's frustration with Roy Scobie.
5. If Abbey is somewhat indifferent to the death of a fellow human being, why would that be true?
6. Abbey mentions thinking the unthinkable as he drives through the desert past the Arches headquarters. To what is he referring?
7. How seriously is Abbey taking this government job?
8. Abbey mentions that both men he meets are married and have children. Can we assume Abbey is neither? Why or why not?
9. Try to explain Abbey's rambling about naming things.
10. It is interesting that Abbey wants to "own" all of the grandeur he sees around him. What does this feeling actually mean in this context?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)