|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The reason for the growth of Indian population in the southwest is due to
(a) Stronger morals
(c) Vitamin supplements
(d) Medical science
2. Viviano's English is about fifty percent
(b) Fortune telling
3. Abbey describes the scene he observes as
(a) A monstrous and inhuman spectacle
(b) A tapestry of rocks and dirt
(c) A barren wasteland
(d) One of God's miracles
4. Edward Abbey is employed by the
(a) Utah State Parks
(b) Moab County Parks Service
(c) US Forest Service
(d) National Parks Service
5. A medicinal property of the buckbrush is that of
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbey feel is lost with the looting of the forests' natural treasures?
2. The difference between Navajos and other poverty-stricken cultures is
3. Abbey compares cultures of Indians and cowboys in that
4. The small cloud on Abbey's horizon is
5. Abbey suggests that former cowboys, like Indians, may be
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbey's watch seem absurd to him?
2. What are the two wild animals that Abbey has never seen in the Southwest?
3. Discuss how different the daily life of an pre-Columbian Native American was, as compared to the daily life of an American now.
4. What does Abbey suggest should be done about the erosion of national parks?
5. How does Edward Abbey seem "polemic" in his views about national parks?
6. How does Abbey get rid of the rattlesnakes?
7. What advantages did the government's Atomic Energy Commission have in finding uranium? Are they portrayed as a benificent agency?
8. How does the author project his own sensibilities onto the doves that he hears calling? Why?
9. What is Roy Scobie's problem?
10. How seriously is Abbey taking this government job?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)