|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The locals in Moab's bars do not become violent, perhaps because
(a) They are afraid of one another
(b) They are good Mormons
(c) They are humbled by nature
(d) The beer is weak
2. The government survey crew came with plans to
(a) Rebuild the ranger station
(b) Lay out a new road into the Arches
(c) Construct additional campsites
(d) Build a new winter resort
3. The gopher snakes watch over Abbey like
(a) Totemic deities
(b) Predators watching their prey
(c) Voyeurs, watching his activities
(d) Enemies waiting to strike
4. The government's attempt to transform Navajos to middle class Americans is called
5. Lloyd Pierson is
(a) A government accountant
(b) A park superintendent
(c) A state policeman
(d) An archaeologist
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Husk and Graham hoping for?
2. Roy Scobie is a rancher obsessed with
3. Abbey calls the rampant development of national parks
4. When a person is in the desert long enough he learns to
5. Edward Abbey is living in isolation,
Short Essay Questions
1. For what does the author seem to be searching by taking this job?
2. What is an example of the primitive attitudes of Native Americans, as expressed by Abbey?
3. Abbey describes areas where one can find artifacts from Native Americans in the form of arrowheads and spearheads, made from obsidian. There is a law that prohibits removing stones from the national park. Do you think these artifacts can still be found in the "shady alcoves under canyon walls" in the Arches?
4. How does the author project his own sensibilities onto the doves that he hears calling? Why?
5. Abbey mentions that both men he meets are married and have children. Can we assume Abbey is neither? Why or why not?
6. What are the two wild animals that Abbey has never seen in the Southwest?
7. What is one of the innate demands of industrial tourism?
8. Why does Abbey's watch seem absurd to him?
9. Explain why Abbey prefers not to use a flashlight in the dark.
10. Explain Abbey's frustration with Roy Scobie.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)