|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Apache Tears" are actually
(a) Crystals found in obscure caves
(b) Arrowheads made from obsidian
(c) Hidden crystals in oval rocks
(d) Dripping springs from the mountains
2. The small cloud on Abbey's horizon is
3. Abbey will be responsible for providing the campsites with
(a) Toilet paper
(b) Garbage receptacles
4. When he sees a rattlesnake, Abbey reminds himself
(a) He would rather kill a snake than a human
(b) Snakes are vermin and could kill him
(c) Humans are more important than wildlife
(d) It is his job to protect life within the park boundaries
5. Some ancient pictographs in the rocks depict
(a) Flying dinosaurs
(b) Semi-human and super-human people
(c) Space aliens that look like humans
(d) Violent acts of nature
Short Answer Questions
1. April mornings in the desert are
2. We learn that Abbey was raised
3. Abbey says, after a million years of neglect,
4. Why was the government interested in the Arches national park area?
5. Abbey is polemic about
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Abbey's description of the life cycle of the spadefoot toad.
2. Abbey describes areas where one can find artifacts from Native Americans in the form of arrowheads and spearheads, made from obsidian. There is a law that prohibits removing stones from the national park. Do you think these artifacts can still be found in the "shady alcoves under canyon walls" in the Arches?
3. What are the two wild animals that Abbey has never seen in the Southwest?
4. How seriously is Abbey taking this government job?
5. Why would the obsidian shards be named "Apache tears?"
6. How does Abbey get rid of the rattlesnakes?
7. Explain Abbey's frustration with Roy Scobie.
8. How does the author project his own sensibilities onto the doves that he hears calling? Why?
9. Explain Abbey's vague contempt for human beings that emerges in this chapter.
10. Why was Turnbow Cabin built?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)