|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vernon Pick managed to sufficiently purify his water by
(a) Filtering the water through gravel
(b) Turning his canteen into a charcoal filter
(c) Pouring water through thick brush before drinking
(d) Running water through sand before drinking
2. The loveliest, and sweet as a pretty girl, in Abbey's opinion, is
(a) Hedgehog cactus
(c) Prickly pear
(d) Cliff rose
3. Why did Abbey's friend from Cleveland think the desert would be a better place if it had water?
(a) Because it would be more beautiful
(b) Because more people could live there
(c) Because it would be greener
(d) Because it would be a better tourist attraction
4. The unexpected guests in Edward's new home include
5. Edward Abbey filled his canteen in the Needles country
(a) From a salty spring
(b) One drop per second
(c) From the rushing Colorado
(d) Quickly and greedily
Short Answer Questions
1. The government's attempt to transform Navajos to middle class Americans is called
2. Edward is able to hear, but not see
3. Blossoming near the shed behind Abbey's trailer is a dazzling
4. "Apache Tears" are actually
5. Quicksand is simply
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why many of the petroglyphs are found in caves too high for us to reach.
2. What is one of the innate demands of industrial tourism?
3. Explain why Abbey prefers not to use a flashlight in the dark.
4. It is interesting that Abbey wants to "own" all of the grandeur he sees around him. What does this feeling actually mean in this context?
5. What advantages did the government's Atomic Energy Commission have in finding uranium? Are they portrayed as a benificent agency?
6. Is Abbey's story of Husk and Graham a fact-checked, absolutely correct retelling?
7. Why was Turnbow Cabin built?
8. How does the author project his own sensibilities onto the doves that he hears calling? Why?
9. Is it beneficial to the Navajos that their population is increasing?
10. Discuss Abbey's relationship with the natural world as he watches the stars.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)